Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
White House Down is leagues ahead of Olympus has Fallen, it's not even close, yet olympus has much better ratings and is on tv more often. Gerard whatever his name is blows compared to channing tatum. Channing needs more action movie roles, he could be the next Jason Statham and finally bring us crank 3 if statham isn't willing to do his duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

White House Down is leagues ahead of Olympus has Fallen
Wait, WHAT?
I thought the former was the working title of the latter, changed to prevent offending the delicate snowflakes that are Americans.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, WHAT?
I thought the former was the working title of the latter, changed to prevent offending the delicate snowflakes that are Americans.

the only way you can offend americans is by suggesting that they should or should not do something about someone else's country

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

White House Down has the president (Jamie Foxx) driving around in a limo and it rules. And it looks like a real movie. There's something about the cinematography of Olympus Has Fallen that makes it look like a TV movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, WHAT?

no, one is a boring gerard butler movie who wishes he was an action star but isn't, the other is a charming channing tatum movie where he not only proves to be an excellent father, but also saves the country from white supremacists instead of gerard's boring north koreans or whatever.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

saves the country from white supremacists
Alright! Good deal. I hope he manages to do that in real life as well.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Alright! Good deal. I hope he manages to do that in real life as well.

if anyone can do it, channing can. but it would help if someone stole his heart and replaced it with a device that he has to keep charged by fuckin' and truckin', which will be filmed and give us crank 3.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't mind that google harvests all my habits and has a profile on me. All I ask is that you stop advertising me things that i already bought. Like yesterday I bought franks red hot sauce for the first time in over 6 years, and guess what, I start getting franks red hot sauce ads on youtube. I already bought it fuckers. Same with the drat mattresses. I bought it 2 months ago, stop advertising me it!

if you are going to be our all-knowing overlord, at least be smart about it and don't try and convince people to buy things they already have, as you very well know

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

More of a hot take but whatever: The hatred of anime fans online is driven in some small part by homophobia

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Saagonsa posted:

More of a hot take but whatever: The hatred of anime fans online is driven in some small part by homophobia

Interesting. Go on

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anime is fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WWE wrestling is live action anime

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Major Alexander Louis Armstrong is the best anime man and I want to see a live action him

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Saagonsa posted:

That doesn't sound like an opinion, but more like a conspiracy. An interesting one on the surface, I'd like to hear more of.

Mu Zeta posted:

WWE wrestling is live action anime

quit stating facts as truth

I like the stupid "organic" hipster products like this Ocean's Halo broth. It's just soup broth, but it's really good poo poo. I'm confused as to why they play up all the soy their broths have while simultaneously playing up their soy sauces, which DON'T have soy. So you've got your ramen broth chock full of soy, and soyless soy sauce to go with it. Why did you stop there? Who asked you to not put soy in the soy sauce? It's like asking for artificially made natural ingredients, it makes no sense.

hawowanlawow posted:

usually goes something like this:

people who make fun of anime do it because... *cites anime character or trope only anime fans know about*

that doesn't sound homophobic at all, in the slightest. Wait, actually, is the quoted poster I replied to saying it as in "The hatred directed at anime fans is driven slightly by homophobia", or "the hatred that anime fans have online"

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Jan 27, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

usually goes something like this:

people who make fun of anime do it because... *cites anime character or trope only anime fans know about*

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Interesting. Go on

Anime has pretty much always had a disproportionatly large queer fan base, which is always going to drive the ire of homophobes. Admittedly this is based mostly on my own personal experiance, but even just 10 years ago there was a sentiment that it was for "virgins and fags" which seems to drive general sentiment still today. Not to a huge degree of course, not nearly as much as it used to.

Like I said more of a hot take than an opinion, but I am unaware of a "post your personally held hot take" thread.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Homophobes hate everything

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anime is cool when it's ultra violent. Y'all ever seen Ninja Scroll? That poo poo is sick, I love it. Fist of the North star is rad,too. Big explosions of blood and gore! And uncensored dragon ball z.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Homophobes hate everything

everything is awesome but awesome is replaced with idubbbz saying "gay"

Blue Star posted:

Anime is cool when it's ultra violent. Y'all ever seen Ninja Scroll? That poo poo is sick, I love it. Fist of the North star is rad,too. Big explosions of blood and gore! And uncensored dragon ball z.

Fist of the North Star is really, really good. Souther is the best character of the show, too.

Saagonsa posted:

Anime has pretty much always had a disproportionatly large queer fan base, which is always going to drive the ire of homophobes. Admittedly this is based mostly on my own personal experiance, but even just 10 years ago there was a sentiment that it was for "virgins and fags" which seems to drive general sentiment still today. Not to a huge degree of course, not nearly as much as it used to.

Like I said more of a hot take than an opinion, but I am unaware of a "post your personally held hot take" thread.

i dont get it, whenever i thought of anime fans i'd think of people who regularly used 4chan and something awful: horny boys who will get mad if someone tells em that real women are better than the redhead from evangelion

although these days i think of anime fans the same way i think about gamers: OK until they start telling you about which characters they relate to.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Jan 27, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anime, harry potter, and video games are all cool and fun until someone earnestly tells you about how ~deep~ they are or which personality quiz result you got

It’s just dumb fun bullshit. The nice buff man punches the bad man. Hooray!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Along potentially similar lines, a buddy of mine talked me into watching DBZ abridged and, well, it’s actually pretty awesome. Superior, even. I don’t know if that’s unpopular or not.

Is it hit and miss? absolutely. But it captures the idiotic spirit of the show and brings back fond memories.

GHOST NAPPA.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Saagonsa posted:

See I’ve always associated it with the 4chan toxic nerd types, and usually the scorn I’ve seen has been around the more problematic aspects of sexualizing childlike characters, so it’s interesting to read another perspective from the queer community, which I guess I’ve never really thought about.

I suppose anime really is a land of contrasts.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
When I think of anime I think of things like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, or Princess Mononoke. Liking anime is not controversial to me. However when most people talk about anime they apparently mean some kind of demon rape or high school ninja rape show I've never seen or heard of so it's better not to chime in to defend anime too much.

*hooray for yeah I eat rear end not having the same AV as spit on my clit anymore. :toot:

doverhog has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Jan 27, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

burial posted:

Along potentially similar lines, a buddy of mine talked me into watching DBZ abridged and, well, it’s actually pretty awesome. Superior, even. I don’t know if that’s unpopular or not.

Is it hit and miss? absolutely. But it captures the idiotic spirit of the show and brings back fond memories.

GHOST NAPPA.

Agreed

Also, I feel like associating anime with creepy poo poo is justified, but it is also a symptom of being extremely online. Most people think DBZ or Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist or whatever the gently caress kids these days watch- not 10,000-year-old succubus trapped in “sexy” preteen body in an SS uniform

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Jan 27, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I don't mind that google harvests all my habits and has a profile on me. All I ask is that you stop advertising me things that i already bought. Like yesterday I bought franks red hot sauce for the first time in over 6 years, and guess what, I start getting franks red hot sauce ads on youtube. I already bought it fuckers. Same with the drat mattresses. I bought it 2 months ago, stop advertising me it!

if you are going to be our all-knowing overlord, at least be smart about it and don't try and convince people to buy things they already have, as you very well know

Everyone knows when you buy one mattress, you can’t stop yourself from buying as many as you can.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

Everyone knows when you buy one mattress, you can’t stop yourself from buying as many as you can.
This is LITERALLY what mattress salesmen are trained to believe and it is likely the biggest reason that the most successful mattress salesmen tend to be anti-social sociopaths.

MyLord
Jan 21, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

Snapchat is just an excuse for people to take pictures of themselves

I hate feminism!!!!!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

This is LITERALLY what mattress salesmen are trained to believe and it is likely the biggest reason that the most successful mattress salesmen tend to be anti-social sociopaths.

sounds like you need to sleep on that decision, come back if you decide to buy from us

burial posted:

It’s always fun when somebody you don’t know well asks you if you like anime because, yeah, usually it’s just what you’re saying and they want to know if you watched Gundam Wing or whatever on cartoon network when you were a kid. But then other times it isn’t and, well, at least now you know to avoid the topic (and possibly the person) forever.

hey you like evangelion i really like the main character i can really relate to him

insert image of that annoying looking kid from the Polar Express

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jan 27, 2019

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed

Also, I feel like associating anime with creepy poo poo is justified, but it is also a symptom of being extremely online. Most people think DBZ or Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist or whatever the gently caress kids these days watch- not 10,000-year-old succubus trapped in “sexy” preteen body in an SS uniform

It’s always fun when somebody you don’t know well asks you if you like anime because, yeah, usually it’s just what you’re saying and they want to know if you watched Gundam Wing or whatever on cartoon network when you were a kid. But then other times it isn’t and, well, at least now you know to avoid the topic (and possibly the person) forever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can't get over the fact that mattress sales are somehow a big thing in the US

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

money laundering

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

sounds like you need to sleep on that decision, come back if you decide to buy from us
No no, when, not if. Always assume the sale.

PHUO: Having a soul is incompatible with survival in the U.S. :(

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

:emptyquote::emptyquote::emptyquote:
:psyboom: And it's somehow an even bigger thing in The South :psyboom:

PHUO: I love y'all and I'm glad to be shitposting with y'all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Since we're still on mattresses: there is no mattress worth 4-5k+. I've laid on one of those top of the line tempurpedic ones, it's just a good mattress. You can get a good mattress for 10-20% of that.

also gently caress decorative pillows

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

No no, when, not if. Always assume the sale.

PHUO: Having a soul is incompatible with survival in the U.S. :(

same goes for if you want to live in the UK. Gotta fling acid at those people

suddenly I feel better about sleeping on my couch

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Floor models, always floor models. No insurance, but they make replacement parts and you oughtta know how mechanical poo poo works.

Also, never buy an adjustable base unless it's at-cost. Never get the insurance, either, unless you're in a Brewster's Millions-type situation. I'm talking zero margin, make the salesman show you his screen.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

Floor models, always floor models. No insurance, but they make replacement parts and you oughtta know how mechanical poo poo works.

Also, never buy an adjustable base unless it's at-cost. Never get the insurance, either, unless you're in a Brewster's Millions-type situation. I'm talking zero margin, make the salesman show you his screen.

i have no idea what any of this means because all i've ever known of beds are "here's the mattress, the boxspring, and the bed frame."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ Adjustable base = bed goes up and down, like hospital bed. Fantastic novelty, big commission if good margin!

spit on my clit posted:

same goes for if you want to live in the UK. Gotta fling acid at those people
Fine, just don't have empathy for marks. Better? If I saw motherfuckers flinging acid at people, said acid-flingers would have a series of unexpected new holes in their neck and torso.

quote:

suddenly I feel better about sleeping on my couch
I mean, do you feel physically okay after waking up on the couch? No joint/muscle soreness? Congrats, your couch is an appropriate bed for you! :peanut:

PHUO: When I see a "J" in an enexpected place, I assume it's pronounced as a "Y" in English.

Futons still are separate from the frame. I earnestly don't know what precisely they're talking about.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jan 27, 2019

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I just bought a used spring runkopatja (that's like a bed where the mattress is build into the bed, dunno if they have those in backwards countries) for like 100 €. :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

doverhog posted:

I just bought a used spring runkopatja (that's like a bed where the mattress is build into the bed, dunno if they have those in backwards countries) for like 100 €. :confuoot:

I think we call those futons??