Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

davebo posted:

play mp3's on a usb drive

Honest to god didn't know anyone still did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tamir Lenk posted:

Not a new ride, but a nice pic of MY MINI COOPER from a show last June.

:frogc00l:

That's very likely the most over processed photo I've ever seen.

The cars in it are sweet though. How long you had the Mini?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Honest to god didn't know anyone still did this.

Plug USB in, play music. It's the easiest way to do poo poo if you're not the sort of person to run around with loads of music on your phone. Drag and drop and you're done and USBs are cheap as chips.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 15, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Audiophiles also prefer usb sticks since you can put high bitrate stuff on there and not have to worry about Bluetooth compression and network compression killing it. Of course, the listening environment in a car sucks, so it’s mostly wasted effort. Reading back and forth posts on the M2 forum about how to get the best quality sound out of the head unit when the speakers are made out of tin cans and the inside of the car sounds like a train is passing through is pretty amusing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Plug USB in, play music. It's the easiest way to do poo poo if you're not the sort of person to run around with loads of music on your phone. Drag and drop and you're done and USBs are cheap as chips.

Yeah I just use one of those tiny short Sandisk drives and leave it in there all the time. Never need to mess with my phone. Now my problem is the Stinger doesn't even have a cd player, so I'm slowly going through finally converting my collection.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

davebo posted:

Yeah I just use one of those tiny short Sandisk drives and leave it in there all the time. Never need to mess with my phone. Now my problem is the Stinger doesn't even have a cd player, so I'm slowly going through finally converting my collection.

You now have the opportunity to organise it all properly. I've been slowly going through all the music I've acquired over the past 10 years or so of music blogs being a thing and putting it in a more logical order but holy poo poo when there's 500+GB of it, it's not fun. I take a run at it every now and again but it's sooooooooooooooooooo boring.

Heed my warning, put it in the right place while you can, don't end up like me. :cry:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
It's all organized to my liking so far. It's just a ton of cd's on a huge shelf system. Not really sure how I'm going to break it all down just yet. I'll have one system where it's all backed up on a hard drive, but for car purposes I'll probably break it into a couple of usb drives. Have all my favorite bands' entire discographies on one, then keep the other one for random singles, mixes and recently purchased albums.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I used to DJ so it's all a mess, organised on specific bits of DJ software which will export stuff to USB fine, just not in any sort of file structure playable by head units. Itunes shits the bed with the collection so it all needs to be done manually.

I tend to throw purchased music in monthly folders so I have a rotation of new poo poo along with older stuff. It's also cool to find older USBs with stuff you forgot you had.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have an enormous music library I am slowly going through and selectively deleting (why do I have the complete Final Fantasy soundtrack collection?). I also have several storage options for in car listening so the goal is to whittle it down to fit on the Zune/iPod/unused phone which can just live in the car full time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Plug USB in, play music. It's the easiest way to do poo poo if you're not the sort of person to run around with loads of music on your phone.
I don't keep music on my phone and when I get it I hit "Next" on the car stereo it just starts playing whatever playlist/station was on last via stream. I wouldn't exactly call that hard, I press one button. :shrug:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Audiophiles also prefer usb sticks since you can put high bitrate stuff on there and not have to worry about Bluetooth compression and network compression killing it. Of course, the listening environment in a car sucks, so it’s mostly wasted effort. Reading back and forth posts on the M2 forum about how to get the best quality sound out of the head unit when the speakers are made out of tin cans and the inside of the car sounds like a train is passing through is pretty amusing.
"Audiophiles" and "wasted effort" are pretty much the same thing.

e: I'm glad it works for some people I guess? Just seems so needlessly outdated to have to involve a PC for anything that involves wanting a change of music or pressing next through 3000 mp3's on a thumbdrive. I do miss winamp skins though. The true glory days of the internet.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 15, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't keep music on my phone and when I get it I hit "Next" on the car stereo it just starts playing whatever playlist/station was on last via stream. I wouldn't exactly call that hard, I press one button. :shrug:

Nobody was saying doing it your way was hard my dude, you wandered in here trying to make out like USBs weren't a thing because you can stream poo poo or plug your phone in. I was simply stating that yes it's very much a thing in TYOOL 2018.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I can't even imagine going back to mp3's and poo poo after having Spotify and Google music. I put my old mp3 collection on Google music, and mainly use Spotify. Everything else is just a huge pain in the rear end now and I only need to carry one device and I have unlimited data so who gives a poo poo. I have Android auto in one car and Bluetooth in the other. I've never used the USB or sd card slots in either car and see no reason to.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wish I could have Spotify in my cars tbh it rules

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
You can. Just install a BT head unit and run Spotify on your phone.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I built up a huge music library back in the allofmp3 Russian mp3 “not really legal at all” days. Like, nearly a TB of music huge...

It’s all sitting on an external raid I have sitting in a box in the garage. Haven’t even plugged it in since I switched to google music years ago and then Spotify a few months ago.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Lol that I'm so old that the bleeding-edge technology of mp3 music that I discovered in 1996 now brands me as an old fogey.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

davebo posted:

Lol that I'm so old that the bleeding-edge technology of mp3 music that I discovered in 1996 now brands me as an old fogey.

No one owns music anymore you fogey, you just rent it monthly.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Coilovers are now in. Turning back and looking at it in the parking lot today made it all worth it.

I uh, may still need to roll the rear fenders after my alignment tomorrow. :catstare:

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um9r63QxV0c
I'm pretty much tony @ 19:54. I already have to dodge the speed bump going into my neighborhood and have another inch in the front and 0.4 inches in the rear I can drop it. :getin:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 16, 2018

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Voltage posted:

I can't even imagine going back to mp3's and poo poo after having Spotify and Google music. I put my old mp3 collection on Google music, and mainly use Spotify. Everything else is just a huge pain in the rear end now and I only need to carry one device and I have unlimited data so who gives a poo poo. I have Android auto in one car and Bluetooth in the other. I've never used the USB or sd card slots in either car and see no reason to.

I've got two SD slots and a 20gb hardrive in the car but rarely use anything other than google music & Android Auto. Only time I ever really use the onboard is when driving long distance and the phone reception is likely to go. Even then I usually switch to a downloaded audiobook. Having media storage sure was great until Android Auto came out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still like having onboard storage. Neither of my cars have smart HUs and upgrading is difficult because of how they are integrated (thanks BOSE). Also since Indiana is still bumfucky data coverage can be a bit spotty.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Aargh posted:

I've got two SD slots and a 20gb hardrive in the car but rarely use anything other than google music & Android Auto. Only time I ever really use the onboard is when driving long distance and the phone reception is likely to go. Even then I usually switch to a downloaded audiobook. Having media storage sure was great until Android Auto came out.

I just built some really solid play lists on Play and pin them to the phone on the night before a road trip so I got some back up in case reception goes tits up. Other than that I just use the Play "radio stations" daily. I still need to make the eventually plunge into getting an AA HU but BT and a good phone get the job done.

e: and good podcasts. Currently tearing through Lore. Neat little show with 20ish minute episodes about urban myths and old horror stories.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 16, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Elmnt80 posted:

Coilovers are now in. Turning back and looking at it in the parking lot today made it all worth it.

Now your wheels look small and too far inboard. :v: I hope you never go to where roads have any sort of imperfections.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

davebo posted:

Pffft - I remember when .MODs were a thing. SoundTracker 4 lyfe!
MP3s were like a gift from God.
I still have my .MOD collection, though it's on 3.5" floppies and Zip disks, so LOL at getting to them.

FWIW, I rotate between MP3s on the phone, Spotify, and Pandora, as the mood takes me. My Pioneer head unit in the Crown Vic pretty much always switches to Pandora when the phone is plugged in (it's got BT, but I like to have it charge while driving) which can be annoying. I wonder how much Pandora paid Pioneer for that "feature." Looking to upgrade to a CarPlay unit when I have a spare $400.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 15, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have Android auto on my car and it works pretty swell with Pandora. Recently found out it works with some podcast app so I've started listening to those on my drives now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I deleted Pandora on my phone for that exact reason.

So did my wife. I actually use Pandora, so it's merely annoying rather than rage-inducing.

edit: she has a Pioneer in her Kia, too, I should mention.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I use a naturally aspirated 4 liter V8 as the soundtrack in my car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

I use a naturally aspirated 4 liter V8 as the soundtrack in my car.

As much as I like that sound, there are times when I want to listen to the doof.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 15, 2022

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
At a certain point the smaller the v8, the more exotic and expensive it probably is.

I find that funny.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

This looked better on my phone screen than it does now, but I was tired and didn't bring my actual camera to a track day.

Hankook RS4s are a big improvement over my stock RE050s: I was seeing about .2G higher numbers on the HUD's g meter than I previously had, and the front tires actually hold on fairly well now that I've added 30mm of tire and more camber. The car's pretty predictable now, with good breakaway characteristics after removing the stock rear toe-out. Lesson learned: new cars need alignment checks, I was expecting to be removing a bunch of toe-in while adding slightly more front camber, instead I learned that the front camber and rear toe were very wrong to start with.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Now your wheels look small and too far inboard. :v: I hope you never go to where roads have any sort of imperfections.

The wheel lip sits about 1/8" outside the fender edge as is. The inboard look comes from the tires being the smallest recommended size for the 17x9 wheel. I should have a 235 or 245 on there. I have a 215/45 on it since I originally ordered the tire to fit an 8" wide wheel but would up with a 9" wide wheel instead. I may step them up to a 18x8-18x9 later on to get a bit more clearance. I've got other concerns before that though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That's a mean looking car, shame about the vent on the fender though.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

heffray posted:

This looked better on my phone screen than it does now, but I was tired and didn't bring my actual camera to a track day.

Hankook RS4s are a big improvement over my stock RE050s: I was seeing about .2G higher numbers on the HUD's g meter than I previously had, and the front tires actually hold on fairly well now that I've added 30mm of tire and more camber. The car's pretty predictable now, with good breakaway characteristics after removing the stock rear toe-out. Lesson learned: new cars need alignment checks, I was expecting to be removing a bunch of toe-in while adding slightly more front camber, instead I learned that the front camber and rear toe were very wrong to start with.

I need tires on my 2015 SS, what specs did you go with for the tires and alignment?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

Yeah, I hate that trend. Ford and Chevy both jumped on that and drove it into the ground. Fender vents themselves are fine, they just had to make them gigantic, chrome, and fake.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

It's not even a real vent, just a piece of plastic :(. At some point it might bother me enough to spend $150 on the black version, which is equally fake but less obvious.

Tires/alignment: I went for 0 toe all the way around and maxed out front camber, and ended up with -1.5deg of camber. Clearance against the strut on the front gets tight when you add camber: I'll be adding 3mm spacers to cure the occasional rub I'm getting with my current setup, and the stock wheels/tires are tight but acceptable. I got 18x9.5" ET35 Enkei Kojins with 275/40-18 RS4s: this should be stock backspacing with 1" more on the outside of the front and a .5" width increase and 21mm offset decrease in the back. The 18s clear the brake calipers but not the front pads: I swapped in OEM pads for a G8 GXP / 1st gen CTS-V / etc to get rid of the damper weights on the outside of the pad.

If I was shopping for street tires, it sounds like the Firestone Indy 500s are getting good reviews, or Michelin PS4s for a better tire at twice the price. That's probably going to be a while, since I'm not quite to 10k miles and won't be using the stock tires for track use any more.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cage posted:

But without the vents it's even harder to distinguish from a cruze/Malibu. How much more of a sleeper can they make it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i mean it's not a functional fender vent right? either they should make them functional or not exist at all

fake poo poo sucks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a groove in the metal for it or is it glued on? Could it be removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean it's not a functional fender vent right? either they should make them functional or not exist at all

fake poo poo sucks

There is a big Ford dealer here on a busy road and they had some new F series trucks pulled out front on their grass, all shiny and pretty. They had their hoods propped up but it was just a big plastic blob under the hoods so like, what the hell is the point.