Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Arkane posted:

why will it climb more do you think?

They probably have to be above $1 to stay listed on whatever exchange it is, therefore they have to split or get de-listed. Doesn't mean anything for you. The market cap stays the same. There may be people buying or selling based on the split for whatever psychological reason, but it has 0 impact on the business itself.

The climb has been nothing at all, and the stock itself is nothing at all, small biotech firm with drugs in pipelines. They lost their CEO at the start of the year and figured they were a nice try-out considering that they would be undergoing a shift internally, but not because of legal matters.

That they are going through a split potentially and I can vote on it is just a neat twist to my little venture into stocks. It's all learning and it's my only stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Blimpkin posted:

The climb has been nothing at all, and the stock itself is nothing at all, small biotech firm with drugs in pipelines. They lost their CEO at the start of the year and figured they were a nice try-out considering that they would be undergoing a shift internally, but not because of legal matters.

That they are going through a split potentially and I can vote on it is just a neat twist to my little venture into stocks. It's all learning and it's my only stock.

Soooo... if you bought $5 of a .70 a share stock your vote means nothing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arkane posted:

There may be people buying or selling based on the split for whatever psychological reason, but it has 0 impact on the business itself.

Gonna disagree with this, a little bit. I think a reverse split performed strictly to keep from de-listing is bad news. It means the company does not believe they can get their price back up above a dollar in time simply by producing a good quarter; so, without guidance to the contrary, I take a reverse split of a sub-$1 listed stock as guidance that they expect their near-term performance to (continue to) be poor.

I'd be very interested, if anyone knows how to write the query to get the data, in what percentage of listed sub-$1 stocks that perform reverse splits manage to stay above $1 post-split for more than, say, a year.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

mrmcd posted:

Soooo... if you bought $5 of a .70 a share stock your vote means nothing.

Yeah I got that, I'm not here thinking I'm going to make a difference. I bought some cheap stock via robin hood to watch it go up and down and lo and behold I have a vote in a shareholders meeting. It's just exciting for me.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Thoughts on MSFT? Looking for another tech stock. I like the dividend, but I am unsure if it will be an impediment to price growth once rates rise. I notice a lot of dividend growth funds are stocking up on it, so I wonder if it assumed to be a growth/dividend stock of some sort. P/E is at 19, which is at the high end of the cloud tech giants (AAPL, IBM, HPQ, etc) with the exception of GOOGL.

My goal is a stable tech stock with a dividend for the oncoming uncertainty with rates and the economy. I feel if rates go up I would be covered with MSFT's cloud and enterprise growth prospects, but if the economy tanks the dividend will allow some shelter from the fallout.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Thoughts on MSFT? Looking for another tech stock. I like the dividend, but I am unsure if it will be an impediment to price growth once rates rise. I notice a lot of dividend growth funds are stocking up on it, so I wonder if it assumed to be a growth/dividend stock of some sort. P/E is at 19, which is at the high end of the cloud tech giants (AAPL, IBM, HPQ, etc) with the exception of GOOGL.

My goal is a stable tech stock with a dividend for the oncoming uncertainty with rates and the economy. I feel if rates go up I would be covered with MSFT's cloud and enterprise growth prospects, but if the economy tanks the dividend will allow some shelter from the fallout.

I would not consider MSFT stable, they are rich and well funded, but transitioning to a new world that might or might not have a place for them.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Foma posted:

I would not consider MSFT stable, they are rich and well funded, but transitioning to a new world that might or might not have a place for them.

Yeah, I'd rather buy any of the other 4 companies he mentioned instead.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Anyone have any recommendations for a stock that is definitely only going to go up in the immediate future?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

indigi posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a stock that is definitely only going to go up in the immediate future?

what are your feelings on chicken?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Love it, love everything about it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

indigi posted:

same, it is real good

check out Sanderson Farms, SAFM. I think it is the likeliest of everything I follow to only go up in the near term. doesn't mean it'll happen though!

the synopsis is that their feed costs are going down, chicken prices are going up, their earnings are likely to be huge the next couple of quarters at least, the stock is trading at a cheap multiple, and there's a lot of people that are short the stock for - so far - very bad reasons (thinking that feed costs will rise & chicken prices will fall).

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

indigi posted:

Did someone say LOV?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Arkane posted:

same, it is real good

check out Sanderson Farms, SAFM. I think it is the likeliest of everything I follow to only go up in the near term. doesn't mean it'll happen though!

the synopsis is that their feed costs are going down, chicken prices are going up, their earnings are likely to be huge the next couple of quarters at least, the stock is trading at a cheap multiple, and there's a lot of people that are short the stock for - so far - very bad reasons (thinking that feed costs will rise & chicken prices will fall).

sounds great!

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
Why do you think feed costs will fall?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Slarlid posted:

Why do you think feed costs will fall?

I have no idea if they will fall in the future. I am saying they have fallen (soybean meal is now at a 3-year low and corn isn't far away):

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/corn.aspx?timeframe=3y
http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/soybean-meal.aspx?timeframe=3y

The CEO, who is decent at predicting such things, believes that if the costs are going to rise significantly, it probably won't be before at least Labor day. This means that the next 2 quarters of feed costs should be very low.

On the weather front, we're in El Nino, which usually means extra moisture for the central US, which would lessen the chance of a poor growing season and large jump in prices. But again, no idea what feed costs are going to do.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

indigi posted:

Dexcom and Medtronic both seem promising. Two companies working on state of the art diabetes solutions in a country that's only getting older and fatter.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I can't wait for the endochoice IPO

just sayin.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
CSIQ and JASO, wow. :getin:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Not sure if this thread or the Long Term thread are the better place, but what are the thoughts on Chinese A shares probably being included in the MSCI Emerging Markets Index?

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Slarlid posted:

CSIQ and JASO, wow. :getin:

Yeah I'm in for JASO at 8.17

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
When should I buy INSM - if it hits $20, if it stays at $21, or not at all?

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
I'm thinking I want to start scaling into precious metals on the next dip, anybody know a better way than streaming companies? I don't want to own a mine or pile of silver.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
COCP up 10% so far today, 40% since I got in at 1.00. They have a presentation tomorrow that seems promising from what I've heard.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
drat son, i'd forgot about that since I impulse bought on goon recommendation at 1.25.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Picked up 1000 shares of TWTR for a gamble into the 40's

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slarlid posted:

I'm thinking I want to start scaling into precious metals on the next dip, anybody know a better way than streaming companies? I don't want to own a mine or pile of silver.

I don't know if it's "better," but the FOREX value of the Australian dollar is pretty highly correlated with metal prices.

http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/technical/article/forex_correlations/2012/01/31/forex_correlations_australian_dollar_gold_silver_steel.html

e. As this article points out, one advantage of holding AUD long as a proxy for holding metals, is that you earn interest on your AUD whereas you'd possibly pay carrying costs for holding the metals themselves.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 3, 2015

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Slarlid posted:

I'd personally just buy the Vanguard fund:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0053&FundIntExt=INT

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
can someone photoshop the picture of leo as the great gatsby into colonel sanders? tia

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Slarlid posted:

Buy a Gold Kilobar. (1kg, runs for about $40k) Hide it somewhere. Alternately buy a standard (400 troy oz), although that will run you more near $400k. Most of your gains from precious metals will be whittled away in fees and taxes. Whereas a Gold bar has essentially one time turn in value of market price with very few questions asked. That is a very long investment though.

e; or just buy GLD or something I guess and tie it all into digital gold. Depends on why you're putting your money in gold.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 4, 2015

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah that's why I was looking at streaming companies, cuz they're actual businesses making money off gold/silver and not just paying fees on a vault full of useless shiny stuff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

All my posions took a loving beating yesterday. I obsessively check quotes all day and I have to imagine that that isn't a smart thing to do.

Does anyone use any of those subscription based stock picking sites? they seem like they have to be fake because if you're making so much money why would you need this business, but then again rich people like to get richer

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

indigi posted:

All my posions took a loving beating yesterday. I obsessively check quotes all day and I have to imagine that that isn't a smart thing to do.

Does anyone use any of those subscription based stock picking sites? they seem like they have to be fake because if you're making so much money why would you need this business, but then again rich people like to get richer

At best you're paying someone hundreds of dollars a month to pull symbols out of a hat. At worst you're paying to be someone's pump and dump rube.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Whoa. the CEO of JASO submitted a letter proposing to buy the company at 9.69 per share.

Assuming this goes through as proposed, how do I even cash out my shares? Does it just happen automatically?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Sanderson farms is ripping my dick off.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

AWWNAW posted:

Sanderson farms is ripping my dick off.

How was the guidance?

Got out of FEYE for 15% gain, don't want to get greedy. Forgot how fun it is to ride the momo train

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Blimpkin posted:

Its ABIO, isnt it? I've just been watching and waiting since I foolishly bought in at 1.00 after the Gencaro fast track announcement for it to reappproach close enough to a buck for me to dump it with minimal losses.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

-JASO has been trading in the ~8 area for a bit. Lots of people saying it's undervalued.
-CEO proposes taking the company private for 9.69 a share (20% over closing yesterday)
-stock shoots up to 9.5 this morning, floats back down to 9.1
-if the deal doesn't go through, its because shareholders want more than 9.69, meaning people are valuing it higher (right?), meaning good long prospects
-if the deal does go through, then this a really good value at 9.12

How is it not a win/win situation to just buy now and see if the deal goes through? If it gets bought, it's a good short play. If it doesn't, I could just hold on for a longer position because 9.69 is apparently a low valuation.

Am I making any bad assumptions here?

edit: i do realize it will dip in the short term at least if the deal doesn't happen

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

Its ABIO, isnt it? I've just been watching and waiting since I foolishly bought in at 1.00 after the Gencaro fast track announcement for it to reappproach close enough to a buck for me to dump it with minimal losses.

Close. It's KBIO. Bought 6 shares at .70 in March for $4.20. I've just enjoyed the ride while I learn the jargon of the field.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Business posted:

-JASO has been trading in the ~8 area for a bit. Lots of people saying it's undervalued.
-CEO proposes taking the company private for 9.69 a share (20% over closing yesterday)
-stock shoots up to 9.5 this morning, floats back down to 9.1
-if the deal doesn't go through, its because shareholders want more than 9.69, meaning people are valuing it higher (right?), meaning good long prospects
-if the deal does go through, then this a really good value at 9.12

How is it not a win/win situation to just buy now and see if the deal goes through? If it gets bought, it's a good short play. If it doesn't, I could just hold on for a longer position because 9.69 is apparently a low valuation.

Am I making any bad assumptions here?

edit: i do realize it will dip in the short term at least if the deal doesn't happen

I don't know about that stock specifically, but in any announced merger the stock usually trades somewhere under the announced merger price because there's always a chance the deal won't go through.

These things do fall through. See TWC / Comcast. Also this is apparently a non-binding offer, so it has a long way to go before being final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Business posted:

This is your bad assumption. Of course the people who own it value it higher than it is, but people in general obviously don't.