Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

That doesn't happen in Australia. You always fill the tank then wander in to pay.

So you could in theory just throw a towel over your license plate, fill up and take off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Leal posted:

So you could in theory just throw a towel over your license plate, fill up and take off?

You still have to activate the pump for the customers. Turning the pump on for someone without a plate is very much a rookie mistake.

The system actually makes me sick. The chains have made a calculated decision to not allow prepaying because the benefit of people walking in and having a higher possibility of buying overpriced junkfood is far greater than the cost of the occasional fuel theft. That's a fair enough call as a business until you remember that you are tying up police resources all over the country for a 100% preventable problem.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kilonum posted:

In my area at least you can fill up with a credit/debit card, they just put a hold for like $50 on the card first.

I know this and I don't even drive.

There was a gas station near me that somehow hosed this up. Back in Highschool/early college I usually didn't have more than about $100 in my account. Go to the pump, stick in my card and it gets rejected. Go inside, still rejected. Leave and and try somewhere else but nothing works, can't buy anything on my card at all. Go to the bank the next day - well look at that, a hold on literally all the money on my account from the gas station.

They were putting a hold on my money and then rejecting it because I didn't have any more money.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The stations around here allow you to set a limit on how much money they hold hostage, and once I did it for $200 of gas for my... tiny 30L car who only needed half a tank of gas. Whoops. It only tied up my card for a few hours, and I learned my lesson. :v

As much as I want to warn my work friends that I'm looking for work, so they don't get blindsided... but there's so many things that can go wrong in the meantime. :(
Just need to stay motivated but with the never ending cascade of bullshit, uhh, """helps""" with reminding myself why I want to leave. /

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I thought for sure it was super bowl weekend. It's not even next weekend!

Also one of our trucks didn't come in, and it was the one with all my poo poo on it. I loving hate our DC so much.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I was stuck in frappucino hell for over an hour. My entire being feels sticky and my wrists ache.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pentaghastly posted:

I was stuck in frappucino hell for over an hour. My entire being feels sticky and my wrists ache.

not sure if barista or hooker that only gives handjobs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The gently caress? :confused:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kilonum posted:

not sure if barista or hooker that only gives handjobs

Why not both? That would be a popular cafe. Fappachinos, they market themselves.

Not sure the government would be willing to give a brothel licence to a cafe though; or a food licence to a cafe for that matter.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So someone again stole some fuel, only this time it was hilarious.

Going through the footage, guy dresses like an idiot and is a smug gently caress, not hiding his face or registration. Look up his rego details and nothing... zoom enhance.... oh wait, he put some tape over one of his registration letters and now we have a clear match to his car? :getin:

I bet he thought he was being so clever too.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

The Lord Bude posted:

Why not both? That would be a popular cafe. Fappachinos, they market themselves.

Not sure the government would be willing to give a brothel licence to a cafe though; or a food licence to a cafe for that matter.

that's def a health code violation

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I hate my customers... We were slammed all to hell today when the store that is basically a slightly fancier version of my store, in the same parking lot, with much better parking, was having a "20% off your whole purchase" day. Like why? Why, you fuckers? They have all the same poo poo we do, at roughly the same price, much cheaper at 20% off, but still you come into my store and gently caress everything up. How the gently caress in 2018 do you fucks not know how to use a drat credit card machine?

And all the stupid bullshit requests:
"Do you guys have screws/nails/blinds?" No, did you try the hardware store we are loving next door to? "Ohhhhhh"
"Do you guys have specialty foods?" No, did you try the Grocery store across the street? "Ohhhhh"
"Do you carry copiers/printers/toner/" No did you try the Staples down the road? "Ohhhhh"
"Do you have off season seasonal item?" Not any more, why didn't you buy it three weeks ago when it was like 90% off, you came in here every day? "Ohhhhhh"
"Where are your batteries?" Under the big battery sign right the gently caress in front of you. "Ohhhhhh"

How do you shop into your 40s or higher and not understand that certain things go together? Socks are with the clothes, cough drops are with the medicines, soaps and lotions are with the shampoos and body washes, and usually that's near the makeup and specialty hair care.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/finah/status/954476899274670080

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's because if you're under 40 there's no such thing as waiting, only extra time to gently caress around on whatever smartphone app you're addicted to.

As I creep into middle age though, it's beginning to dawn on me that so many old people are just generally vaguely angry at everything all the time because they're painfully aware the world has passed them by and they don't understand anything that's going on around them anymore.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It’s their own fault. In my experience they go out of their way to make excuses for themselves and avoid learning anything new.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's because the people under 40 have had to work said retail positions before, we get it. The boomers largely have not and are impatient assholes that don't understand.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I understand the frustrations of not understand things when you get older. I went to see what the hot new memes are with the current generation and it all seems to be "Song but every time X happens its Y" and I just don't get it anymore guys.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Beastie posted:

It's because the people under 40 have had to work said retail positions before, we get it. The boomers largely have not and are impatient assholes that don't understand.

Some of the boomers absolutely did, but like falling off a bike, the brain forgets just how bad the pain was and eventually you get back on the bike just loving tear into a 20 year old kid for forgetting the mayo because you have the power now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beastie posted:

This is the conversation loop I get in with my conservative family members:

"Fast food workers don't deserve $15/hour!"

"But that would allow them enough money to live"

"Well in my day, fast food jobs were a stepping stone to better jobs! You didn't work there forever!"

"Ok, but now there's no better jobs - so where do they go?"

"...THEY HAVE TO WORK HARDER! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT IN AMERICA!"

"Without a car or education?"

It all just circles back to some variation of "blacks are lazy"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In the old days it was... well, not nearly as common as Boomers misremember it being, but possible for a person to start in the mailroom at minimum wage and work their way up to an executive suite 25 years later.

Now that is absolutely positively not possible; now there's a sky high brick wall between the Little People and the Big People and you do not get past it unless you do the required things to become a Big Person (graduate degree, appropriate connections). A person who started in the mailroom at $8/hour 20 years ago and stayed with that company the whole time is a Senior Mailroom Person making $9.50/hour today.

Boomers don't comprehend this and refuse to believe it's true. Despite the fact many of them are still working and have seen it firsthand for 20 years now. The worldview you form when you're 25 sticks very hard to your brain for the rest of your life.

Another thing Boomers don't comprehend and refuse to believe (much to their own detriment, those who are still working) is that modern companies don't promote from within, hardly ever, and in most cases the only way to advance your career is to jump from employer to employer whenever you're ready to advance.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
A boomer asked me to remake their mocha when I had drinks lined up on the bar because it tasted like "hot milk" so gently caress boomers

Hope they liked their 7 pumps of mocha sauce

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Does that poo poo happen like every single day? It's kind of disheartening how many people there are who get off on being bossy dicks to retail workers.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does that poo poo happen like every single day? It's kind of disheartening how many people there are who get off on being bossy dicks to retail workers.

I don't know

I want to say that I never really encountered that many jackass customers but I also know that a single one ruins the whole drat day anyway

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

People I have never met calling me by name will never stop being creepy.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Zenithe posted:

I love it when someone does this to you and your brain skips a beat, then you notice they're also a retail drone who's just come off a shift at another hive. You see their nametag, and you shoot it right back at them.

They have the same reaction.

Then they get mad at you for using their name. Hey, rear end in a top hat, you started it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've actually always wondered why retail employees aren't allowed/encouraged to use fake names on their name tags

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I use the name tag of someone who doesn't work there anymore lol. My managers don't care be wise it's just stupid corporate policy to have a name tag

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Eric the Mauve posted:

In the old days it was... well, not nearly as common as Boomers misremember it being, but possible for a person to start in the mailroom at minimum wage and work their way up to an executive suite 25 years later.

Now that is absolutely positively not possible; now there's a sky high brick wall between the Little People and the Big People and you do not get past it unless you do the required things to become a Big Person (graduate degree, appropriate connections). A person who started in the mailroom at $8/hour 20 years ago and stayed with that company the whole time is a Senior Mailroom Person making $9.50/hour today.

Boomers don't comprehend this and refuse to believe it's true. Despite the fact many of them are still working and have seen it firsthand for 20 years now. The worldview you form when you're 25 sticks very hard to your brain for the rest of your life.

Another thing Boomers don't comprehend and refuse to believe (much to their own detriment, those who are still working) is that modern companies don't promote from within, hardly ever, and in most cases the only way to advance your career is to jump from employer to employer whenever you're ready to advance.

Your example is probably even a little generous. There was a story maybe six months ago about Kodak and how a woman who started as a janitor was eventually able to become a top executive in the company. They made a point to illustrate how her example is entirely impossible today because every major corporation just contracts out janitors and a lot of other entry level menial work now to smaller companies. If you work for one of those companies there is absolutely zero possibility of promotion because they just need warm bodies to do the work.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 23, 2018

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've actually always wondered why retail employees aren't allowed/encouraged to use fake names on their name tags

Its so when customers complain to corporate they can point out which employee was a big fat meanie to them

Cant reprimand the correct employee if you dont know their name :)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would change my store name to Medic, because if people at the front are going to be screaming for me all day long I might as well imagine my life as a more entertaining movie.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

Its so when customers complain to corporate they can point out which employee was a big fat meanie to them

Cant reprimand the correct employee if you dont know their name :)

Yeah of course, but it's real easy to have a list that lists everyone's alias and real name. I guess even that tiny bit of work is more than management can be buggered to do though.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

We're able to set the name we want to go by, through the same system that sets our payroll deductions and whatever else, but it's really just meant for things like "David wants 'Dave' on his badge".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
“God.”

“Sir.”

“Bojangles.”

“buddy.”

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 23, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Name badge on or not, I get at least one person a week asking me if I work at my store. Dude, I'm wearing a red shirt, khaki pants, and have a PDA in my hand. What do you think.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sometimes it’s just a person having a bad day, and then here are some people who ar exist miserable people and take it out on anybody they interact with. Retail workers are essentially forced interactions, so that’s whom they probably take it out on the most.

When I have someone correcting me I usually just let it be, give them yes and no answers, and avoid eye contact until they get the hint and leave.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
One of the #1 perks of working in independent retail is never having a name tag and giving fake names to every living embodiment of "let me speak to your manager" that walks in the door. Sorry lady, but I am the manager and you can take a hike if you don't like that I refuse to capitulate to your every asinine demand.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zenithe posted:

I got into a huge stupid fight over this in the corporate thread. Are we friends? No? Then don't assume we're on a first name basis just because you can see it on my desk, rear end in a top hat! At least have the decency to introduce yourself so we're on the same level of name knowledge beforehand.

It's almost always the sweaty fuckstump who just read "how to be a big important salesmans" by Douchebag McHalogenteeth and wants to use all the great new tricks he just learned all at once.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
"Herr Major to you, Major Bernard Himmler."

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Welp, third time in three weeks that I've had a panic attack at work as a direct result of management ganging up on me! Time to find a new job and leave these fuckers to reap what they've sowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The tech store I worked at a while back had name tags that had to be kept visible at all times. I had a number of people wait until I turned around so they could read out my name tag.

I hated when my manager at HMV used my name in front of a customer. "Oh, Vanessa here will ring you through!" And the customer would be all, "Aaahhh.... VANESSA... Nice to meet you VANESSA."

I was screaming internally because I really didn't like customers knowing my name, because as soon as they knew it, they would always say it out loud.

If I could have gone by a fake name, I probably would've chosen something like Artemis or Persephone.

Elizabeth is the fake name I keep in my pocket in case a creepy stranger asks me.