Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

408 Squadron apparently won't be happy until literally every surface on Earth has a goose sticker on it. They've zapped our civilian aircraft so many times it isn't even funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

iyaayas01 posted:

lol my unit made it into not one but two different areas

Of course we've been there continuously for over four years so I'd hope that entire place is covered with our zaps by now.

Were the semi-outdoor/wooden rafter pictures taken at TLS?

\/ Makes sense because the WB-57 guys were some rad dudes \/

e: While I'm talking up NASA their Ikhana (MQ-9) guys are pretty cool dudes as well.

Yeah those were at the arrival area of TLS.

edit; probably my favourite.

Ruse fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 4, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Another :frogsiren: GROVER LASER :frogsiren: for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StC9nRB_AVY

Video is about a year old, was part of an update saying they've been actively uppscaling the laser power since that 2013 test. Still not very impressive but evidence that there must be a lot of interest in directed energy CIWS as this is the third different test platform we've seen in like 2-3 years, different companies/programs too.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 5, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mazz posted:

Another :frogsiren: GROVER LASER :frogsiren: for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StC9nRB_AVY

Video is about a year old, was part of an update saying they've been actively uppscaling the laser power since that 2013 test. Still not very impressive but evidence that there must be a lot of interest in directed energy CIWS as this is the third different test platform we've seen in like 2-3 years, different companies/programs too.

The 300fps segment is funny. "Bird. Bird." Kind of disappointed that it didn't freeze frame and pull a Wily E. Coyote moment to label "Rocketus Firedbyus."

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Saw that video of the Harrier crashing over the beach again, and it got me wondering: how long can they (or the F-35B :v ) hover? Seems like it would be pretty thirsty, and they can't have terribly much internal fuel. I feel like the Harrier scene in True Lies was pushing the limits of reality on hover time alone.

Similarly, I know the balls-to-the-wall supersonic dash time on fighters is shorter than, say, Top Gun would have you believe. How long/fast can a Mudhen or Tomcat go at top fuel-limited speed? Like, they can go faster in a sprint with nothing on the wings, but I'm wondering about the speed where they run out of gas before parts of the engine start going out the back, and there's still missiles hanging off.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
In the case of the Harrier I believe I've read somewhere that the time limit on hovering is about a minute or two and it's not because of fuel, it's because of overheating concerns.

As far as "gotta go fast" goes, I dunno about US fighters specifically but at least on the older Saab fighters (which have always been pretty short-legged) time on afterburner isn't limited by engine problems, it's limited by the fact that the afterburner is monstrously fuel inefficient and burns all your internal fuel really loving quickly. IIRC the Viggen on full afterburner would theoretically have enough internal fuel for about seven minutes of continuous operation. Similarly, the Draken's practical top speed in a straight line in level flight wasn't really limited by aerodynamics - by the time you had gotten to your operational area, you'd have burned enough fuel that you'd get to a situation where the aircraft would still be accelerating by the time you hit bingo fuel.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 5, 2015

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

TheFluff posted:

In the case of the Harrier I believe I've read somewhere that the time limit on hovering is about a minute or two and it's not because of fuel, it's because of overheating concerns.

The engine required an injection of distilled water when there wasn't enough forward motion to keep it cool at hover. The 500 pounds of water bought 90 seconds of running the engine under those conditions.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've read that the shiny aluminum finish on 50's Air Force jets was also supposed to reduce damage from the flash of a nuclear explosion (reflecting rather than absorbing some of the energy). I don't know how truthful that actually is; it has a strong urban legend flavor to it. In any case, it definitely looked :krad:.
Most of SAC's early paint schemes prominently featured bare metal and anti-flash white, but if it had a basis in survivability instead of style, I imagine most of the enginnering studies are still classified.

quote:

I'm also a big fan of the two-tone paint pattern that's lighter on the bottom, like a fish or something. I know there's an official term for it that I can't remember at the moment, and it seemed to be popular in the 60's and 70's. I would absolutely love to have a plane done up retro-style like this.
If you're looking to expand your search terms, I've also heard countershading referred to colloquially as "Orca" or "Shamu" paint.

MrChips posted:

408 Squadron apparently won't be happy until literally every surface on Earth has a goose sticker on it. They've zapped our civilian aircraft so many times it isn't even funny!
Same with the MAINEiacs. There's a great story about a Maine crew TDY in the Med: They're down town, and of them starts getting friendly with one of the local Ladies of the Night. Long story short, they end up back at her place, they do the deed, and he goes into the bathroom to take a piss. When he lifts up the toilet lid, lo and behold there's a MAINEiac zap stuck to the underside.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't know why he keeps insisting that they're all from psychological operations missions when a lot of them are blatantly not.

http://www.naderlibrary.com/icouldtellyou.toc.htm

This seems to be source for the pictures and it seems to have much, much, much less crazy.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thomamelas posted:

http://www.naderlibrary.com/icouldtellyou.toc.htm

This seems to be source for the pictures and it seems to have much, much, much less crazy.

Here's the KKK one :tinfoil:

http://www.naderlibrary.com/icouldtellyou.4.htm

Has the OPSEC wizard been embraced by all? Many secret test squadrons have wizards and dragons

like the KKK :tinfoil:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 5, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dead Reckoning posted:

When he lifts up the toilet lid, lo and behold there's a MAINEiac zap stuck to the underside.

Please explain this further, I'm unsure what a MAINEiac or the zap of one is?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chairface posted:

Please explain this further, I'm unsure what a MAINEiac or the zap of one is?

"Zaps" are stickers with a unit's logo, like the giant collection Ruse posted earlier. Typically members will stick them in restaurants, bars and airfields they visit, and occasionally on the jets of other squadrons.

The MAINEiacs are the 101st Air Refueling Wing, Maine Air National Guard. They are known to be prolific spreaders of their zaps. The dude discovered that he was eskimo brothers with someone in his squadron because one of them had already smashed out this particular hooker and left a squadron sticker under the lid of the toilet in the apartment she brings her clients to.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's the KKK one :tinfoil:
That is clearly TISM, not the Klan :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I used to zap the back of the lovely artwork hanging above the hotel bed when I went TDY. Didn't matter if it was on or off base. I also zapped the flying Memphis Belle at an airshow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
An A-10 ready for some not so close air support.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
For more laser chat:

Lockheed Martin Laser Weapon System Stops Truck In Field Test

I know it's a demonstration test and all, and it's genuinely cool that a laser can do this, but I still find it amusing that they "stopped" a truck that was stationary and lifted up on jacks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

For more laser chat:

Lockheed Martin Laser Weapon System Stops Truck In Field Test

I know it's a demonstration test and all, and it's genuinely cool that a laser can do this, but I still find it amusing that they "stopped" a truck that was stationary and lifted up on jacks.

"Let's develop a multi-million dollar laser to stop technicals when putting a few bursts of .50BMG into it is much cheaper and easier."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Let's develop a multi-million dollar laser to stop technicals when putting a few bursts of .50BMG into it is much cheaper and easier."

You'd think LM would just invest more money in expanding the Hellfire production line, because we're launching those almost literally as quickly as they can come off the production line and at $100K a pop they're not too bad from a money perspective.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

An A-10 ready for some not so close air support.

Those Ft Wayne-based birds are as filthy as everybody's vehicles are in Indiana at this time of year from all the road grit and salt and poo poo.

Seriously (from the same batch of photos)

Do they need a care package of carwash coupons or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I did kinda chuckle when I saw the F-16 washing area when I was on a base last year. Makes total sense that they'd have such a thing, but it's still funny when you realize the type of mundane support equipment these multi-million dollar aircraft rely on.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I wonder what that new F-16 smell is like and if that fragrance comes with every wash

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I loving hated washing aircraft, especially for a stupid photo op.

Though, now I see that it was a good idea. Because those look like complete rear end.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
So that's the reason why they got rid of the polished aluminium look.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Since it was mentioned, considering the short hover time I've always wondered about Harriers stacking up for landing as seen in the picture. It seems to me that there's little room for error and a fairly small window to actually get all the planes on deck. Is it common to land in this fashion? Are pilots that good that they can set their planes down quickly enough so that the short hover time isn't a factor for the Harriers waiting to land? Should there be any problems, is it simply a matter of flying off to let the engines cool down a bit and then try again?

Oh and TheFluff, as a fellow Swede I'm loving your posts on the Swedish military during the cold war, keep it up! Would you mind expanding on how the Draken actually was used for interceptions, or what the general tactics would be in the event of a Soviet invasion, seeing as how it had such a short range. Would it be a bit of a gamble as to when and where the fighters were sent up, like would it be sort of a one-shot weapon? And lastly, do you have any recommended reading on the Swedish military during the cold war, preferably regarding strategy and tactics? It being in Swedish obviously wouldn't be a problem.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Your daily dose of A-10 cancellation anger:

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2015/03/air-forces-argument-retiring-10-makes-no-sense/106845/

There's so much wrong with this article. I really liked the bit where it linked another article that purports to back it up, but actually the other article is telling people mad about A-10 cancellations to get the gently caress over it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

bennyfactor posted:

Those Ft Wayne-based birds are as filthy as everybody's vehicles are in Indiana at this time of year from all the road grit and salt and poo poo.

Seriously (from the same batch of photos)

Do they need a care package of carwash coupons or something?

A-10's look much better dirty.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Churchill posted:

Oh and TheFluff, as a fellow Swede I'm loving your posts on the Swedish military during the cold war, keep it up! Would you mind expanding on how the Draken actually was used for interceptions, or what the general tactics would be in the event of a Soviet invasion, seeing as how it had such a short range. Would it be a bit of a gamble as to when and where the fighters were sent up, like would it be sort of a one-shot weapon? And lastly, do you have any recommended reading on the Swedish military during the cold war, preferably regarding strategy and tactics? It being in Swedish obviously wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks, glad you enjoy them :)

The short range of Swedish interceptors wasn't a huge issue because Sweden is so drat narrow, and so is the Baltic sea. You just launch, fly east, intercept some Badger near the coastline and return to base. There were certainly plenty of bases back in those days. You couldn't really fly CAP very well with the Draken, but that's not what it was intended for either. When it was designed the threat envisioned was nuclear bombers on very high altitude at high subsonic speeds - you'd see them on radar in time to get your fighters up to intercept, except in the very southernmost parts of Sweden where the distance to East Germany was so small. When we purchased the Bloodhound AA missiles they were primarily intended for the southern parts exactly for that reason - they figured there might not be time to launch fighters. The Viggen with its turbofan had a lot better fuel economy in subsonic flight, but it also had a different role. The Draken's raison d'être was to get to 13000+ meters of altitude really loving quickly, while the Viggen was designed to sneak around five meters above the surface of the Baltic sea.

Some assorted bibliography (some of these are out of print but should be readily available at your local library - through interlibrary loan if nothing else - or via sites like bokborsen.se). You'll notice most of them are fairly recent publications. There was very little contemporary publishing regarding this stuff and the post Cold War historical interest only really got going around 2002-2004.

Higher level stuff
- Roth, Thomas: Den svenska krigsmakten under kalla kriget. Svenskt militärhistoriskt bibliotek, Stockholm 2014. Haven't actually read this yet but I took a brief look at it in the national military archives library and it seemed pretty good.
- Wallerfelt, Bengt: Si vis pacem, para bellum: Svensk säkerhetspolitik och krigsplanering 1945-1975. Probus, Stockholm 1999. An extremely dry book, but it does have a good overview of the higher level strategic thinking during the first half of the Cold War. Wallerfelt has gotten some academic criticism for some of his sweeping statements in this book (he's one of those old school officers who just complains about how we did everything wrong and we should have joined NATO and whatnot) but it's still a good overview. I think there's a new edition of this under way too - it's long been out of print and can be sorta hard to find.
- Holmström, Mikael: Den dolda alliansen. Sveriges hemliga NATO-förbindelser. Atlantis, Stockholm 2011. More in the way of political history but it should be required reading for any Cold War nerd. Contains a large number of very interesting anecdotes and personal stories.
- Agrell, Wilhelm: Svenska förintelsevapen: utvecklingen av kemiska och nukleära stridsmedel 1928-70. Historiska media, Lund 2002. Exactly what it says on the tin - history of Swedish WMD development. Also required reading.

Air force specific
- Anderson, Lennart: ÖB:s klubba. Flygvapnets attackeskader under kalla kriget. Svenskt militärhistoriskt bibliotek, Stockholm 2010.
- Anderson, Lennart: Fienden i öster: svenskt jaktflyg under kalla kriget. Svenskt militärhistoriskt bibliotek, Stockholm 2012.
- Anderson, Lennart: Flygvapnets spaningsflyg. Svenskt militärhistoriskt bibliotek, Stockholm 2013. This trilogy is a really good overview of the air force's three fixed-wing legs, both strategic and tactical. Very strongly recommended.
- Pettersson, Tommy: Med invasionen i sikte: flygvapnets krigsplanläggning och luftoperativa doktrin 1958-1966. Svenskt militärhistoriskt bibliotek, Stockholm 2009. I've recommended this before in this thread. Since it was originally an academic paper there's a free PDF version, check my post history in this thread for a link. It lacks the photos and illustrations the book version has though.

If you want to read further, anything published as a part of the FOKK project is probably a good read - most of my recommendations are connected to that. I also strongly recommend http://fht.nu which has a large number of very interesting papers and essays available for free in PDF form. If you want to read more about Saab's planes specifically, just start with Sven Stridsberg's books.

e: also http://www.flygbas.se/bilder/973.pdf

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 6, 2015

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

holocaust bloopers posted:

A-10's look much better dirty.

I agree, their natural camouflage is soot from burning third world armor.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Polikarpov posted:

I agree, their natural camouflage is soot from burning third world armor.

They adapted to their environment, it's proof of evolution!

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Brilliant, thank you very much :)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Speaking of natural camouflage, I have ~~OFFICIAL SECERTS~~ regarding how the F-22 LO (stealth) technology works

It pretends to be a cloud

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Doesn't it break from rain.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Your daily dose of A-10 cancellation anger:

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2015/03/air-forces-argument-retiring-10-makes-no-sense/106845/

There's so much wrong with this article. I really liked the bit where it linked another article that purports to back it up, but actually the other article is telling people mad about A-10 cancellations to get the gently caress over it.

You know it's going to be good when the author leads with the premise that the Air Force should make procurement decision based on the Army's preferences.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tip of the spear! Don't argue or I will say tip of the spear some more and then something about warfighter.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Dead Reckoning posted:

You know it's going to be good when the author leads with the premise that the Air Force should make procurement decision based on the Army's preferences.

I've been meaning to ask (or maybe I already have and forgot): how do helicopter gunships fit into the CAS equation? I guess they've got more difficult basing and logistic requirements due to shorter range, but given that it seems like time-to-target would be comparable to an A-10 with similar payloads and effectiveness for CAS roles. Then again, are helicopters just even more vulnerable to the same things that have effectively pushed the A-10 out of low altitude envelopes or are they better suited to the role?

I suppose a Warthog and an Apache are both designed to do similar things but for different situations, but is the answer for the army to just improve their gunship fleet to compliment the A-10 being replaces by F-16/F-35s, or is there a reason why that isn't the answer to everyone's gripes?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Is there some reason perceived reason that the A-10 would better at CAS then an Apache? It just seems like an attack helicopter is a more natural fit for close in support then the A-10, and the discussions about the A-10 never seem to bring up attack helicopters in general.

Edit: That will teach me to leave a quote open.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Churchill posted:

Brilliant, thank you very much :)

Yes, thanks! I can add that while "Svenska förontelsevapen" (I'll leave that spelling there, kind of funny in this context...) is out of print, it exists as an e-book. My local library even had it to my surprise. This might be true of other of these books as well?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thomamelas posted:

Is there some reason perceived reason that the A-10 would better at CAS then an Apache? It just seems like an attack helicopter is a more natural fit for close in support then the A-10, and the discussions about the A-10 never seem to bring up attack helicopters in general.

Edit: That will teach me to leave a quote open.

Smaller payload, shorter range, even slower than an A-10, a very slow plane, can't really hang out at 15000 feet dropping precision bombs. But they certainly do some good work.

But remember, the U.S. Army rotary wing forces don't do CAS, they're a maneuver force and so all that stuff that looks like them doing CAS is actually maneuver so screw you, dad!

Marine skids do CAS.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Weren't the AH64s originally designed to all take off and run headlong into a Soviet tank column in a massed attack (independent from other forces on the ground) as soon as they crossed the border? Your explanation would make sense then - they are more like tanks that can also fly.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Throatwarbler posted:

Weren't the AH64s originally designed to all take off and run headlong into a Soviet tank column in a massed attack (independent from other forces on the ground) as soon as they crossed the border? Your explanation would make sense then - they are more like tanks that can also fly.

So they're more like A-10s, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

No, that'd be stupid.