Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Commander Keene posted:

So, basically just like the actual games, then? :v:

I'd disagree on that, if a DQ game seems generic, its because it spearheaded a lot of the tropes for the jrpg scene.

Also it kind of overuses the same designs over and over again (do we need the gimp dudes everywhere?), but nobody's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've been playing DQX lately and just got the first credit roll. Game is so good...

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
We actually need the gimp dudes everywhere.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't remove the gimps, add guys with bull heads so we have the variety of roaming hairless minotaurs running around.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Jerusalem posted:

It would be pretty wild if after Yakuza shifted from real time brawler to turn based in order to emulate Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest decided to turn into a real time brawler!

We already got two DQ Musou games, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Judge Tesla posted:

We already got two DQ Musou games, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2.

and Swords, which..is kind of an ARPG married with Time Crisis. and the upcoming Dai game

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

and Swords, which..is kind of an ARPG married with Time Crisis. and the upcoming Dai game
It's honestly a rail shooter with mainly melee combat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

quiggy posted:

FFX is the latest mainline strictly turn based FF, for whatever that's worth. Personally I would not be surprised to see something akin to FF7R with an actual "classic mode" that makes the game strictly turn based (but is off by default)

Oh you're right, forgot about X.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm 17 and a half hours into Dragon Warrior 7 (psx) and they just started mentioning Dharma Temple so I think I'm close

What classes should I go for

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Shepherd.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Platinum King Jewel

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nihilarian posted:

I'm 17 and a half hours into Dragon Warrior 7 (psx) and they just started mentioning Dharma Temple so I think I'm close

What classes should I go for

The two basic branches in the human classes are physical (Warrior + Fighter -> Gladiator, Warrior + Cleric -> Paladin, Gladiator + Paladin -> Godhand) and magical (Mage + Cleric -> Sage, Jester + Dancer + Bard -> Superstar, Sage + Superstar -> Summoner). Basically everything not in those class lists stops at a second tier combined class instead of the third. You're barely going to get into Godhand by the end of the game with the hero and Gabo even if you focus entirely on the required classes, so it's not that big a deal, but it's probably not worth going into Tamer or the like.

Be aware that the hero and Gabo are your permanent party members and everyone else is a rotating guest. Maribel may be a natural mage but she's definitely not getting into Summoner without some serious grinding. Personally I'd recommend just having both of them aim for Godhand, and maybe having Gabo start that road as the basic healer class so that you have another person who has those spells.

There's a mechanic where getting certain classes to at least a certain level (I think it's class level 5) and then bringing another class to that same benchmark gives you a special skill. These mostly don't matter, but there's one really good one. If a character's mastering Warrior, then you can get a big power boost by throwing them into Dancer afterward until they learn Sword Dance, which is a free attack that does about 300% of a normal attack over four randomly targeted hits. It's the only physical attack you really need.

(One character joins later with Dancer mastered and with her already in Warrior. For dumb mechanics reasons, her getting Sword Dance requires you to put her back into Dancer until you get a special message after like 15 battles, then putting her back in Warrior. It's silly.)

At least in the PSX version, monster classes require a lot of farming and an open FAQ because the hearts are mostly random drops and the evolution paths are more unclear than the human ones. Can't recommend it unless you want to cheat in the hearts. If you do cheat for the hearts then sure, go for it. Doing it with Gabo seems appropriate.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Maribelle might not make it to summoner but i'll probably have her follow that path. Even if she ends the game in sage thats probably good enough? Maybe my biggest regret in dq6 was overestimating how much diversifying skillsets would help. She's the mage and I'll send her down the mage path. I'm not putting up with a noodle arm warrior for 80 hours or however long the game is

I may do the monster gabo thing, I'd like to play with the monster classes at least a bit and he seems appropriate

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Nihilarian posted:

Maribelle might not make it to summoner but i'll probably have her follow that path. Even if she ends the game in sage thats probably good enough? Maybe my biggest regret in dq6 was overestimating how much diversifying skillsets would help. She's the mage and I'll send her down the mage path. I'm not putting up with a noodle arm warrior for 80 hours or however long the game is

I may do the monster gabo thing, I'd like to play with the monster classes at least a bit and he seems appropriate

Yeah, the important part of "she's not getting to Summoner" is less "don't make her a Sage" and more "don't make her a Superstar." I usually have her finish the game as a Sage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the psx version, there's only one step to take, anyway. get someone to level 5 warrior and level 5 dancer. then they learn sword dance, which is by far the best attack in the game. if you want to make things really boring, get it for everyone. it doesn't take long.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What's the fastest route to the hero class

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

What's the fastest route to the hero class

Mastering Godhand, the third-tier physical class. Technically it's any three second tier or higher classes, but adding a second-tier instead of going with Godhand means mastering another basic class to unlock that second-tier, and there's no classes where both of those add up to fewer than Godhand's mastery requirement.

Or you could beat the post-game superboss under a certain number of turns to get the Hero's Heart item that lets anyone change to Hero instantly. I guess that's technically "faster," by some definitions.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, the Third tier classes aren't that important, but the road to getting there is a solid route for people to take beyond a few detours like like Sword Dance that was mentioned and I want to say getting Woolguard from Shepherd (At Rank 7) if you're willing since it can really help with one of the tougher fights in the game, assuming my ancient memory isn't misremembering that fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having a superstar is real nice in general even though none of the classes you use to get there are any good. even if all they do for the rest of the game is hustle dance that's still a very useful niche.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is Armamentalist ever good? It sucked in dq6 too

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'll make the dancer get sword dance and then beeline for godhand and maybe hero for postgame if it has one and I feel like playing it. I'll dip around with the main character to get utility spells since he's always in the party but try to send him down the godhand path too. Maribelle sage/summoner and Gabo monster. IDK about the last guy. May just send him down the classes that didn't get used or make another monster character. Or both. I don't think i can start as a monster so I may get some utility on Gabo too

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

In the PS1 version It has bikill/twinhits/oomph. And while it's the easier way to learn it, you do have an end game weapon that casts it on use. Though even then it doesn't work well with Sword Dance so it's not important if that's you're main way of dealing damage (specifically the extra power is only applied to the first hit of sword dance if I remember correctly).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unless you really love grinding don't do monster classes in the PSX version. In my two decades of owning the PSX version I've gotten maybe one heart drop that wasn't in a treasure chest. It sucks. The 3DS version makes it both the best way to keep higher-tier skills and gives you a way to grind them out easy(er).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I'll make the dancer get sword dance and then beeline for godhand and maybe hero for postgame if it has one and I feel like playing it. I'll dip around with the main character to get utility spells since he's always in the party but try to send him down the godhand path too. Maribelle sage/summoner and Gabo monster. IDK about the last guy. May just send him down the classes that didn't get used or make another monster character. Or both. I don't think i can start as a monster so I may get some utility on Gabo too

Mervyn/Melvin(?) makes a pretty good healer since his bad speed means he can immediately cast a heal after you take damage in the same round if he’s left on AI. He’s pretty well-rounded but leans slightly towards magic anyway, at least in the 3DS version.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And normally I just give Gabo the WondeRock/Sage's Stone to give him a heal he can fire off fast to save people if I need to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
iirc, the monster hearts are all 1/256 drops.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

The Pro move is to get sword dance. Max Warrior on Gabo or Hero(or both) and then do I think 5 levels of dancer to get it. It's pretty much the best skill. Its 4 random attacks for zero cost. Get that then do whatever. Most of the skills are kinda useless. The game isn't super hard either. Once you have a couple people with sword dance you can just do anything really.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 12, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a system where you become proficient at a class at rank 5, which then carries over to the next class that character uses. so you can gain a skill by becoming proficient with particular combinations of two classes. you can regain that status at any time by doing a few more battles, so it's not missable or anything. it's pretty pointless aside from sword dance. the 3ds version ditches it entirely.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
There's one other proficiency skill I usually got; Cleric + Shepherd is Increase, and while it's on several monster hearts that's the only way to get it without.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Early DQ had a lot of promotional art and stuff that gave personality to the games when they were new, does anyone know of some places with collections of that art? I do own the artbook, but I know theres a lot not included in it.

Edit: Lmao the exact moment I asked I found the motherlode on a special page on the wiki. Sharing the bounty for anyone interested

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 12, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Early DQ had a lot of promotional art and stuff that gave personality to the games when they were new, does anyone know of some places with collections of that art? I do own the artbook, but I know theres a lot not included in it.

Edit: Lmao the exact moment I asked I found the motherlode on a special page on the wiki. Sharing the bounty for anyone interested

That really is a bounty, love the artwork of what characters in the NES games looked like in particular gear.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've decided I care more about getting utility spells on the mc than i do getting him to tier 3 classes. I'll probably get him sword dance so he can do that without sucking, but I'll leave sword dance to him and aira and not put it on the others.

I'll make regular plans for Gabo and Mervyn and if I stumble into any monster hearts I'll divert. Maybe make gabo an armamentalist for the hell of it and mervyn a paladin for the healing. Maribel and Aira aim for the tier 3 classes but if the game stops at tier 2 that's fine too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there any real reason to play the original 7? Someone gave me a copy some years ago and it was a very thoughtful, touching gift, but I bought the 3DS version and I can't see a reason not to play that. The portability is a big improvement, sure, but the remake seems to take the piss less.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unless you really hate the modern-style localizations there really isn't a compelling reason to play the PSX version when you have access to the 3DS version.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you have to ask, you should just play the 3DS version. The original is not without its appeal, due to lacking the mechanical changes designed to increase the convenience of a game whose inconvenience is arguably part of its overall aesthetic, but if and when you find you want to experience that, you won't need a forum to tell you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It could probably be interesting to compare the two? The remake is a lot more streamlined with story progression, but it’s also a lot more simplified with the gameplay too, since the advanced vocations don’t let you carry over skills but are more endgame-capable despite needling less battles to master from what I can tell by browsing a guide; Paladin gets Multiheal in 3DS as an example whereas you’d have to wait until Champion for that in PSX.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there any real reason to play the original 7? Someone gave me a copy some years ago and it was a very thoughtful, touching gift, but I bought the 3DS version and I can't see a reason not to play that. The portability is a big improvement, sure, but the remake seems to take the piss less.
well the 3ds shop is down for one

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OP did say they owned both versions of the game, I figured the, "if you have both" part of the question was implied.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

OP did say they owned both versions of the game, I figured the, "if you have both" part of the question was implied.
I took it as "why would anyone ever play psx?" and not "should i play psx?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Malaria posted:

The Pro move is to get sword dance. Max Warrior on Gabo or Hero(or both) and then do I think 5 levels of dancer to get it. It's pretty much the best skill. Its 4 random attacks for zero cost. Get that then do whatever. Most of the skills are kinda useless. The game isn't super hard either. Once you have a couple people with sword dance you can just do anything really.

Is this a change for the DS remake? Because in the original you got QuadHit from the Warrior+Fighter advanced class (Battlemaster?) which was 4 hits and I'm pretty sure it had zero cost as well so you could just spam it every round of a fight if you wanted.