Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Olive! posted:

There's a goon in the Monster Hunter thread in Games who is super mega pissed that the next game in the series might make things more playable for people who don't want to devote dozens of hours figured out the obscure and poorly-explained systems present in all the previous games. Their posts are hilarious to read.

It's some Barkley truckpump level poo poo.

Man, I really miss the Gamers.TXT threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait is the next monster Hunter going to cut out all the obtuse awful poo poo and just let me get to fighting big monsters? Because how is that bad news?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

Wait is the next monster Hunter going to cut out all the obtuse awful poo poo and just let me get to fighting big monsters? Because how is that bad news?

depends what we're calling 'obtuse awful poo poo', so far it looks like they're doing a drat good job of adding a lot of good qol stuff(like damage numbers or seeing how weapon/armor trees branch out or having wishlists that makes it easier to keep track of what you still need to craft/uprgrade what you want next) while still keeping the same core monster hunter gameplay intact

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

:argh: BECAUSE loving CASUALS RUIN EVERYTHING!

I agree with FAAROOQ which is not something I thought I'd say. A game can be difficult even if it isn't obtuse as all poo poo and hiding information from the player, and its nice that devs are realizing that now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My favorite little thing in Doki Doki Literature club is that the content warning is 100% warranted, and that I heeded the warning, played it anyway, and now that I'm done with it, it's done a lot to affirm the security of my own mental health.

It's pretty dumbly and bluntly manipulative, but it's still successfully manipulative.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

RyokoTK posted:

My favorite little thing in Doki Doki Literature club is that the content warning is 100% warranted, and that I heeded the warning, played it anyway, and now that I'm done with it, it's done a lot to affirm the security of my own mental health.

It's pretty dumbly and bluntly manipulative, but it's still successfully manipulative.

When I started playing it with two other friends slowly one night, one of them was like "ugh, everyone is just loving with us and is lying to stay in on the joke" and then a little while later we got to the end of the first route, got curious after the second route had those glitches, and started poking around the files which led us to discover some of that disturbing stuff in the .chrs

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Len posted:

Because they also released an expansion to the previous game for the Switch, but they didn't localize it :ssh:

Which kinda sucks but World looks fantastic anyway and the Japan-only thing is more of the same-old :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RyokoTK posted:

Alright, now I'm curious after looking at it on the Steam page. What exactly are you walking into with this game, the ending of the School Days anime?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I know absolutely nothing about anime or VNs and have no taste for them, and telling you anything specific would spoil the entire loving thing.

Maybe someone with more knowledge could give you a specific comparison but I would say that the warning of "People that suffer from depression or anxiety may not have a safe experience while playing this game" is extremely apt. Because I don't suffer from those and parts of the game made me physically painfully anxious. So if that's the kind of head space you want to put yourself in for an evening, well, it's free and takes like three hours to finish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I see you, little bugged post. BE REVEALED TO US ALL! :f5:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RyokoTK posted:

They didn't, idiot, he added them in for the quote.

Wow, way to be a dick.
They were there in both posts when I read them and there was no edited tag. So, y'know, loving chill.

Shadow of War is as good as you'd expect. Im in late game and getting a little impatient so I see all orcs as obstacles even if they are mine.
This has lead to many occasions when my allied captains will be hit by my sword and yell out, "Oh! We get the punishment too?!" and "Another spanking from the Gravewalker!"

They're gonna turn on me soon.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It was a dick thing to say, sorry.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Inzombiac posted:

Wow, way to be a dick.
They were there in both posts when I read them and there was no edited tag. So, y'know, loving chill.

The spoiler tags weren't edited in until an hour and half after you made your post, no.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

RyokoTK posted:

I know absolutely nothing about anime or VNs and have no taste for them, and telling you anything specific would spoil the entire loving thing.

They asked you to spoil it. I want you to spoil it too, the only pc I have is my work one and I'm not installing that on it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It wouldn't surprise me if I posted this somewhere up or down the dial, but I loved the possibly-intended oversight in the old Lucasarts game Afterlife.

Part of the setup for the game is that Heaven likes Good Vibes, and hates Bad Vibes. Hell, as you might expect, hates Good Vibes and loves Bad Vibes. One of the in-game disasters has flying birds (or bats) poo poo all over Heaven or Hell, respectively. It puts them into a state of Very Bad Vibes.

The oversight that might have been intentionally overlooked is that nobody changed that state for Hell buildings. Every building with bat poo poo on it (or around that building) works a bunch better because it's under Very Bad Vibes. It makes disasters in the game a thing of the past, because it's in your best interests to constantly be triggering the Bat disaster on your own.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Every one of the cinematic, scripted bullet time events in Max Payne 3. I remember playing through it the first time and some of them come out of nowhere. Going into the game mostly blind and taking control as Max tackles a person through a glass wall was extremely gratifying. Grabbing a winch and shooting the gear lock, flying upwards through a factory shooting gallery was badass, or when you're cresting the edge of a boat after it's been ramped into the air was pretty dope... and jumping on a food trolley and riding it 30 feet as snipers trace their red sights through the window from another building and office supplies explode around you. I might reinstall because I havent played it in a long time but there are still some cutscenes you can't skip, which is something for the other thread

tbh I probably posted this like two years ago

forest spirit has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Oct 26, 2017

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Weren't a lot of those cutscenes unskippable because they were cleverly disguised loading screens or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nael posted:

Weren't a lot of those cutscenes unskippable because they were cleverly disguised loading screens or something?

If you play on PC you can edit the files and find out that no, most of those cutscenes are monumentally longer than any loading they mask and I believe in some cases when “still loading” pops up its an outright lie.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

cubicle gangster posted:

They asked you to spoil it. I want you to spoil it too, the only pc I have is my work one and I'm not installing that on it.

Ok I will step up to this shameful task e; This is big big spoilers for Doki Doki Literature Club, just to be clear, since there are other games being talked about that need spoiler tags too.

First playthrough ends with one of the characters killing herself. Like boom dead body. And it's all your fault. You could have saved her.

Second playthrough poo poo goes a little... haywire. That dead character is gone. Like completely removed from the story, all events shifting to account for her absence. But it's better that way. We're better without her. Other character's text starts... being replaced. By the truth. Also there's some... disturbing imagery (more in the sense of spooky creepypasta lite-gore, not in the uhhhh, sexualized underage teens way, thankfully, I want to be very clear on that). One of the characters goes well off the deep end.

True ending: You get to be with best girl forever.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 09:34 on Oct 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

If you play on PC you can edit the files and find out that no, most of those cutscenes are monumentally longer than any loading they mask and I believe in some cases when “still loading” pops up its an outright lie.

Are you sure that's true for a console though?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Ok I will step up to this shameful task e; This is big big spoilers for Doki Doki Literature Club, just to be clear, since there are other games being talked about that need spoiler tags too.

First playthrough ends with one of the characters killing herself. Like boom dead body. And it's all your fault. You could have saved her.

Second playthrough poo poo goes a little... haywire. That dead character is gone. Like completely removed from the story, all events shifting to account for her absence. But it's better that way. We're better without her. Other character's text starts... being replaced. By the truth. Also there's some... disturbing imagery (more in the sense of spooky creepypasta lite-gore, not in the uhhhh, sexualized underage teens way, thankfully, I want to be very clear on that). One of the characters goes well off the deep end.

True ending: You get to be with best girl forever.

That's actually not the end. She hints at what you're supposed to do next, but you basically go in and get rid of best girl. She thinks about what she's done up to that point and tries to restore things without her. However, things rapidly spiral back to where they were and she comes back to acknowledge that the Literature Club is a black hole that keeps anybody from being happy, so she deletes everything while showing off her piano skills.

Unless you got the true completionist ending, in which case your friend sees the effort you went through to spend time with everyone and the game still ends, but everyone who remains is genuinely happy and supportive of each other.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
^^ it's poo poo like this that reminds me I'm old.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How long does it take to get interesting? I just played like half an hour and was bored out of my skull the entire time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Doki Doki Literature Club is a sweet and pleasant experience and I don't know why they made those silly warnings at the start. This is a happy, happy VN about choosing nice girls to read poetry to :unsmith:.

The warnings are totally 100% valid and dear sweet tapdancing christ it is a a trip.

Twitch posted:

How long does it take to get interesting? I just played like half an hour and was bored out of my skull the entire time.

Once it shifts gears, you will know. Stick with it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Twitch posted:

Most of route 1 is straightforward high school anime waifu poo poo. It takes, I dunno, 45 minutes to an hour?

You need to kinda sit down and play the whole game in one shot, imo. The stuff you see in route 1 is recontextualized in route 2.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Unless you got the true completionist ending, in which case your friend sees the effort you went through to spend time with everyone and the game still ends, but everyone who remains is genuinely happy and supportive of each other.

Do I need to play the game from start to finish picking a different girl each time for that one?

Ha! Glad you, uh, enjoyed it?

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Oct 26, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gordon Shumway posted:

Replaying The Witcher 3 right now. I just knocked a guy off a cliff with the Aard sign and heard him do the Wilhelm scream as he fell.

I searched "witcher 3 wilhelm scream" on Ýoutube and was very disappointed by the results because I'd confused the Goofy holler with the Wilhelm scream :doh:

e: Is there a mod that replaces the latter with the former?

ee: I mean modification, not moderator. Although both would be fine I guess.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The classic Tomb Raider games are pretty difficult to play nowadays, especially Lara's tank controls and general movement. But, I still think the games have some incredible level design - especially Tomb Raider II. Temple of Xian is a long slog full of traps, but takes you for miles all over the place through all kinds of weird tunnels and caves. The series of missions you play on an up-side-down sunken ocean liner on the sea bed are also great.

The games being 20 years old also weirdly helps with the sense of isolation and age you get in some levels. Cracking open a long lost cave just feels more vivid knowing it's digitally aged so much.

I also loooove the super minimalist HUD. Most of the time there's nothing on screen except Lara and it feels really forward thinking.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Syndicate on PC and am really enjoying it. The interplay between the protagonists is a lot of fun, the gameplay is solid, occasional bugs aside, and the NPC's are filled with character rather than being one note cameos (Alexander Graham Bell's schoolboy crush on Evie is just adorable). But it has one of my favorite PC game features in it that I really wish more games would incorporate: a quit to desktop option that immediately quits to the goddamn desktop. No waiting for another screen to load, no saving thanks to the game autosaving with every other foot step you take, no "Are you really sure you want to quit?" It just dumps you right to the desktop as soon as you want to stop playing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The classic Tomb Raider games are pretty difficult to play nowadays, especially Lara's tank controls and general movement. But, I still think the games have some incredible level design - especially Tomb Raider II. Temple of Xian is a long slog full of traps, but takes you for miles all over the place through all kinds of weird tunnels and caves. The series of missions you play on an up-side-down sunken ocean liner on the sea bed are also great.

The games being 20 years old also weirdly helps with the sense of isolation and age you get in some levels. Cracking open a long lost cave just feels more vivid knowing it's digitally aged so much.

I also loooove the super minimalist HUD. Most of the time there's nothing on screen except Lara and it feels really forward thinking.

I played through the original TR about a year back and the silence and darkness still manage to create atmosphere surprisingly well. The hectic music suddenly starting up when something dangerous appeared got me pretty good a few times, though admittedly I'm easily spooked by video games.

I should get to TR 2 one of these days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Syndicate on PC and am really enjoying it. The interplay between the protagonists is a lot of fun, the gameplay is solid, occasional bugs aside, and the NPC's are filled with character rather than being one note cameos (Alexander Graham Bell's schoolboy crush on Evie is just adorable). But it has one of my favorite PC game features in it that I really wish more games would incorporate: a quit to desktop option that immediately quits to the goddamn desktop. No waiting for another screen to load, no saving thanks to the game autosaving with every other foot step you take, no "Are you really sure you want to quit?" It just dumps you right to the desktop as soon as you want to stop playing.

When you get to Sequence 6, check the western end of the Thames River.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

Most of route 1 is straightforward high school anime waifu poo poo. It takes, I dunno, 45 minutes to an hour?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Once it shifts gears, you will know. Stick with it.

Thanks, just finishing up now (Googling a little to see if I'm actually done with the game or not).

edit: Yeah, I'm just going to Youtube that last ending, I liked it but not enough to play through the whole thing again.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Oct 26, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you didn't see credits, you're not done.

The best girlfriend tells you what to do to continue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twitch posted:

Thanks, just finishing up now (Googling a little to see if I'm actually done with the game or not).

If you're at spending time with the best girlfriend, try doing to her what she did to get you alone together...

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got the credits/letter, just not the secret ending

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's actually something I'm curious about for people that got the true complete ending, since I'm interested in knowing it but I really just don't want to click through the game and do the work again: Is it always Sayori who kills herself at the end of route 1, and is it always Monika that is the best girlfriend, or do the characters change positions based on who you romance with the poetry/who you spend the weekend with?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I played through the original TR about a year back and the silence and darkness still manage to create atmosphere surprisingly well. The hectic music suddenly starting up when something dangerous appeared got me pretty good a few times, though admittedly I'm easily spooked by video games.

I should get to TR 2 one of these days.

From memory, TR2 is the best of the classic series, followed closely by the first one. As the series goes on they decide that there's going to be more and more combat - and it's the thing the game is most crap at. Fighting guys with guns using the awful auto-targeting never gets fun.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

From memory, TR2 is the best of the classic series, followed closely by the first one. As the series goes on they decide that there's going to be more and more combat - and it's the thing the game is most crap at. Fighting guys with guns using the awful auto-targeting never gets fun.

I personally LOVE TR4 even though it has the most 'dudes with guns' combat out of all of the original series, but that's mainly because the level design is so on point, and I'm a sucker for Ancient Egypt. I also played it a lot as a kid so there's probably some nostalgia in there too.

Chronicles deserves a mention too; some of it is kinda crappy (especially the high tech heist with lasers and metal detectors and poo poo lmao) but the section where you play as young Lara in Ireland, and have to figure out ways past stuff without any weapons or tools is pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Tomb Raider Anniversary is a pretty good remake, and the combat at least doesnt try anything fancy beyond the adrenaline dodge (which is simple and easy to execute). Legends is quite fun too.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

OutOfPrint posted:

I like that Jacob is encouraging as a horse driver but Evie is all shouty. Interesting attitude contrast to how they tackle missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, what a depressing game that Doki Doki one was. And a bit too on the nose. I like that the part about deleting the files changes when you play the steam version though! And I feel a bit silly not thinking to copy the other characters back in...