Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There was a driver shortage even before this, it’s not a very appealing field. I don’t do any of the driver hiring myself I just help tell the companies what to load, where to bring it, and for how much, boring corporate stuff. Truck automation is a ways off from what company peeps tell me, companies don’t trust it yet.

Amazon sucks, I only deal with delivery to their warehouses but communicating with them is a pain. I haven’t dealt with their branded truck fleet but I’m dreading it. Some of the truck company reps I talk to don’t like them, they’re kinda aloof. Maybe they’re just nervous who can say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1240803783476740096

Yeah that sounds like a great idea, pack em in

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Always worth noting that, given the Texas Legislature's rules, a "special session" equates to a normal session, or even less-than-normal-session for pretty much any real legislature, heh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dorks who wrote the state constitution believed in small government so they made the legislature meet only once every two years, but then it turned out that just left a power vacuum for the governor to be one of the most powerful central executive throughout state governments.

Idiots, that's the word for them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dorks who wrote the state constitution believed in small government so they made the legislature meet only once every two years, but then it turned out that just left a power vacuum for the governor to be one of the most powerful central executive throughout state governments.

Conservatives tend to have strong authoritarian tendencies, so that was probably a feature, not a bug.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought Texas had a famously weak governor

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, it's not about the Governor in that particular case. The Railroad Commissioner and the Lt. Governor are the power spots statewide in Texas.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

Have got all of the above along with a bunch of other herbs (spearmint & verbena to go with the peppermint along with some European staples like oregano, thyme, rosemary and parsley). Picked up a whole bunch of different tomato species from the local plant store. Absolutely blown away by the diversity on offer here compared to back home. Got some carrots and some beets in for roots but was warned it was getting a little late.

I was told to plant the peppers (I have bell peppers, rather than spicy varieties since this is for nutrition) in full sun to get the best fruit. Is this wrong advice?

Everything is growing about twice the rate I'm used to. I love this state.

Edit: also put some milkweed around the place and monarchs and ladybugs (the latter for the pest control) have already moved in. This feels like gardening on easy mode.

Definitely do whatever the garden store person or the info packet says, I had Tabasco peppers grow really well in a somewhat shady area so that was what I based my advice on, but that doesn’t mean it was the best. And yeah, welcome to gardening in a subtropical zone. It’s great until the bugs and birds come.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, it's not about the Governor in that particular case. The Railroad Commissioner and the Lt. Governor are the power spots statewide in Texas.

Lt. Governor in particular was basically considered the most powerful person in the state through most of its modern history. (Bob Bullock basically ran the whole state like a king through the 90s.) This changed a little bit during the Perry era, but that was primarily because Perry was able to stay in office for so long (and thus, he got to take so many appointments) that his flunkies were running everything. But even Perry was in the Lt. Governor spot first as he was consolidating power.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Everytime I see something like this with regards to voting it seems like the obvious answer is to just use mail in ballots.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s great until the bugs and birds come.

Godsdammit I knew there was going to be a catch.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

Always worth noting that, given the Texas Legislature's rules, a "special session" equates to a normal session, or even less-than-normal-session for pretty much any real legislature, heh.

its insane that the leg still only meets once every two years

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
It's insane they get paid $7,200/year, ensuring that only car dealership owners or real estate brokers like Kenny Marchant gets to do the job.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 20, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
This state is pretty stupid all and all.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

San Antonio confirmed community spread yesterday, but the writing was on the wall a couple days before that, when the local case count doubled overnight and the reporting changed from "all are travel-related" to "most are travel related but 6 are still being investigated by Metro Health."

syntaxrigger posted:

Everytime I see something like this with regards to voting it seems like the obvious answer is to just use mail in ballots.

I agree that mail-in ballots seem like the obvious answer... if your goal is to actually maximize the number of people who can and will vote. A reporter for the Texas Tribune makes it sounds like the state Dems want to focus on mail-in ballots, but the state GOP just want to postpone:

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/1240819035551522824

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

It's insane they get paid $7,200/year, ensuring that only car dealership owners or real estate brokers like Kenny Marchant gets to do the job.

oh, plenty of them are being paid more than that to be there, just not by the taxpayers.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

city of austin is considering a 14-day shelter-in-place order, according to my contacts in the city

What would this entail exactly? I am currently WFH and my wife works at a hospital and will be required to go in. We have a nanny who comes over to take care of our two young children. If she isn't allowed to go straight from her house to ours (which is what she is already doing) I will have to take off work to take care of the children. I am contracted hourly and would not be paid, although maybe the bill that just passed means I do get paid? I need to look into that more.

Edit: Employers with more than 500 employees are exempt from the paid sick leave thing so that would mean I do not get paid. I am assuming we will have to pay our nanny leave since we have one employee, we do that anyway, but if we are required under the bill it looks like we would get tax credits from the government. Does anybody have a resource that breaks this bill down? Everything I am finding are just news articles that don't really get into the specifics.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 20, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We may end up there eventually who knows, but I'd take internet randos making shocking pronouncements based on secret information from Nintendo uncles with the grainiest of salts.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

zoux posted:

We may end up there eventually who knows, but I'd take internet randos making shocking pronouncements based on secret information from Nintendo uncles with the grainiest of salts.

This may be a rumour/not true, but guaranteed it will happen at some point. poo poo is about to get real bad, and we are way underprepared.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm worried there's going to be riots next month if they just issue lockdown orders without any kind of financial assistance going out. A huge percentage of the state is living right on the edge and will need to do some drastic poo poo to eat and stay housed when millions of people start missing paychecks, especially if this goes on for the next 18+ months like people are predicting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1241048803576369157

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

zoux posted:

Take it with a grain of salt definitely, since everything is constantly in flux, but the friend I got that from is pretty high up in city govt. I learned about the restaurant closures from them about two days before Adler actually announced them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

shut up, greg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No longer in fear of land lords, roaming gangs of LGBT HBCU students cutting holes in every wall for the facilitation of dick sucking and drug doing

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

oh, plenty of them are being paid more than that to be there, just not by the taxpayers.

not if your goal is to help the taxpayers lmao

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

not if your goal is to help the taxpayers lmao

Oh, yeah no they're not there working on behalf of you or I or any other regular voter. They're there legislating for their bosses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HEB/status/1240971585911128065

All it took to implement every progressive policy position in this country was one spicey cold

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao april 12th

sure

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

i say swears online posted:

lmao april 12th

sure

Texas seems to have a better grip on things than much of Europe, or other states but yes, this is laughably optimistic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean the exec order itself is only through 4/3, I don't think anyone thinks that it won't be extended.

How many days ahead of Italy is Texas in terms of implementing restrictions vs. day since first infected IDed

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's just inevitable that there is going to be a cascading effect from all of this. The courts will next need to stop foreclosures, stop utilities from turning off services, stop reporting of unpaid debts, stop repos of autos and all mechanical equipment used in construction. It's going to be a loving nightmare before long. Really, it already is. I know two family owned restaurants that will likely not come back from this if lasts longer than 30 days.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

zoux posted:

I mean the exec order itself is only through 4/3, I don't think anyone thinks that it won't be extended.

How many days ahead of Italy is Texas in terms of implementing restrictions vs. day since first infected IDed

Roughly 1-2 weeks.

EDIT: Thought this was a pretty solid 2 weeks but it seems the first case in Texas is not well defined.

Active Quasar fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 21, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/HEB/status/1240971585911128065

All it took to implement every progressive policy position in this country was one spicey cold

Seriously HEB? Even the Amazon pay raise is "until the End of April" at the moment.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

radical meme posted:

It's just inevitable that there is going to be a cascading effect from all of this. The courts will next need to stop foreclosures, stop utilities from turning off services, stop reporting of unpaid debts, stop repos of autos and all mechanical equipment used in construction. It's going to be a loving nightmare before long. Really, it already is. I know two family owned restaurants that will likely not come back from this if lasts longer than 30 days.
That's the thing. I still know plenty of people where I grew up and I'm huddling here until this goes one way or the other, so I've had a chance to talk to both workers and business owners.

All the workers noticed that the current deadline cuts them off a week short of rent payment and all the business owners have already had to pay ongoing costs. Both agree that while people are being very nice and so on, the bills just keep coming. Several long term employees have already been let go, with promises to rehire, specifically so they can file for benefits and the small business owners of restaurants in particular are saying they can hang tight on costs for a couple of months, but then they have to get out of leases and cut down bills.

It's going to be an interesting couple of months. Not a lot of small government fans in foxholes.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 21, 2020

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Alkydere posted:

Seriously HEB? Even the Amazon pay raise is "until the End of April" at the moment.

Heb is just the Texas version of Walmart

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

EwokEntourage posted:

Heb is just the Texas version of Walmart

Thems almost fighting words

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Transplant agitator ITT.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Ok from Austin and I worked at heb for several years. Their store brand products are better than Walmart but they have the same business strategies and labor standards. That’s why they’re all heb pluses now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hey reindeerf, how are things in your neck of the woods?