Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

E2M2 posted:

All the CDs are of Osama's anime collection

Some of them are Sims 3 copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Weird to see technical combat manuals that didn't leak from a war thunder discord in this day and age.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

E2M2 posted:

All the CDs are of Osama's anime collection

Don't wanna know how many are just Bible Black on repeat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

Like seriously, doesn't Israel have these super loving commandos we keep hearing about?
I think that's more of a P.R. gimmick. Or those commandos exist but what are "commando" operations anyways? Their job is kidnapping, murder and rapid cross-border violence -- that is to say Hamas isn't the only organization that does it. Did you ever see Munich?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOWYlVnGqY

Any official statements will always say that only one thing can be determined with certainty: no IDF soldier deliberately fired at a journalist / ambulance / school. We investigated this. That is the conclusion and there is no other. Well maybe there is...

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Discendo Vox posted:

Under the current moderation rules we are not allowed to refer to any of this. We are required to entertain users who do this, forever.

For such an extensive rule set that DnD has, it's odd it has gaps to allow certain types of trolling.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Young Freud posted:

The IDF did some intelligence work today and raided a HAMAS stronghold.
https://x.com/JoeTruzman/status/1720501575624618111?s=20

BTW, sure doesn't look like a tunnel complex under a hospital.

Why would Hamas be using English numerals?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Funny story, but english numerals are derived from arabic numerals.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Hong XiuQuan posted:

They're actually Arabic Numerals. Europe adopted them during the middle ages to replace Roman numerals.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Soylent Yellow posted:

They're actually Arabic Numerals. Europe adopted them during the middle ages to replace Roman numerals.

There are actual Arabic numerals different from the ones we use.

But my understanding is their use is not completely ubiquitous nowadays. When I was checking the website of Palestinian Ministry of Health, they had Western numerals for various things there, like phone numbers, quantities, dates (although that one just might be a quirk of date format localisation), 19 in COVID-19, etc. I don't know, however, if military would use Western numerals on maps or whatever.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 4, 2023

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
See I was about to post that too but I decided to look it up and numbers in actual Arabic look pretty different?

But it’s possible that Hamas sees a lot of foreign fighters so it might just be a Lingua Franca thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_keyboard

Looks like they use the same numbers as the West?
It makes sense as a computer toucher why you'd want numeral glyphs to be culture independent.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

HootTheOwl posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_keyboard

Looks like they use the same numbers as the West?
It makes sense as a computer toucher why you'd want numeral glyphs to be culture independent.

That keyboard clearly has the Arabic numerals in the bottom right of each number key.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Muscle Tracer posted:

That keyboard clearly has the Arabic numerals in the bottom right of each number key.

There's like ten keyboards on that page all but the oldest feature the English numerals first and half don't have the Arabic numerals at all

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
E: oops, wrong thread

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-officials-voice-new-concerns-warnings-israels-war-hamas-rcna123445

quote:

Biden and his top aides have in the past week adjusted the administration’s public message to emphasize concern for Palestinian civilians and U.S. efforts to get them humanitarian relief. The shift follows growing criticism at home and abroad of Biden’s decision to swiftly and staunchly back Israel’s military response to Hamas while initially speaking less forcefully about protecting Palestinians; meanwhile, images of civilian casualties in Gaza continue to ricochet around the world.

“If this really goes bad, we want to be able to point to our past statements,” a senior U.S. official said. The official said the administration is particularly worried about a narrative taking hold that Biden supports all Israeli military actions and that U.S.-provided weapons have been used to kill Palestinian civilians, many of them women and children. The Defense Department has said the U.S. is not putting any limits or restrictions on the weapons it’s providing Israel.

The Biden brain trust has entered the chat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If only there were a way to dispel the narrative that the Biden admin whole-heartedly endorses and actively supports the ongoing genocide. I mean, they've already spouted a few platitudes while maintaining a consistent actual policy, and they're even toying with the idea of coming out with more platitudes, what else can possibly be done?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

HootTheOwl posted:

There's like ten keyboards on that page all but the oldest feature the English numerals first and half don't have the Arabic numerals at all

You absolutely do see them on elevators and packaging and stuff.

Might be similar to Chinese where on computer numbers are often written out in Latin script.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That article is a couple days old and they've definitely shifted to, yeah, at least pairing the statements of absolutely unconditional support for Israel with platitudes about not killing too many civilians. of course there's been literally zero public evidence of any at all meaningful pressure on Israel to exercise restraint so lol gently caress them for suddenly being worried. so far efforts to get israel to moderate their behavior have been non-military in nature (eg internet connectivity, completely token amounts of relief for Palestinians allowed in, and almost completely fruitless efforts to get foreigners out via the rafah crossing). If you asserted that Israel is completely playing the Biden administration for fools it would be hard to disprove. The one thing very conspicuously missing from the Biden admin are tangible efforts to restrain Israel's destruction of Gaza

The us actually has a unique opportunity to sabotage years of efforts in ukraine by shifting resources to Israel where israel will adeptly manage to not accomplish their either undefined or unaccomplishable goals and the US can manage to turn a rare foreign policy success into a pair of foreign policy disasters.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If only there were a way to dispel the narrative that the Biden admin whole-heartedly endorses and actively supports the ongoing genocide. I mean, they've already spouted a few platitudes while maintaining a consistent actual policy, and they're even toying with the idea of coming out with more platitudes, what else can possibly be done?

yeah there's zero pressure being applied currently that anyone on either the american or israeli side believes is going to slow the IDF down

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 4, 2023

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
The Democrats seemed to have bet heavily on the :airquote:humanitarian pause:airquote: narrative being able to cover their asses.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that might have meant something if they'd pushed for it three weeks ago

on an unrelated note, there's a very real chance that this will also turn into a domestic scandal wrt the woefully inadequate effort to get american hostages back and failure to get american citizens out of gaza

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Netanyahu: "So basically our plan is to do all the war crimes. All of them. The whole book of war crimes"

Biden: "Oh jeeze holy poo poo. We gotta have a plan on how to spin the PR for this."

Republicans: "Are you sure that's enough war crimes? Cause we'd be willing to shoot some American college students to help out here."

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
I wanted to clarify D&D's rules regarding whataboutism. Whataboutism is against the rules specifically when it violates I.B.1: When replying, respond directly to what the poster said. Let me illustrate with examples, assuming that Hamas and the IDF both eat infants, and no one in the thread has discussed this fact yet.

If someone says that Hamas is uniquely evil because they eat infants, and another poster points out that Israel also does, that is not against the rules because it is a direct refutation of the "uniquely" part.
If someone says that Hamas eats infants, and that's evil, and another person says that's true, and Israel also does it, so it can't be used as a metric to determine which side is worse, that is also not against the rules because it's acknowledging the point and expanding on it.
If someone says Hamas eats infants, and that's evil, and another person says no, Israel also does it, that is against the rules because it's presenting itself as refuting the previous poster while responding to a point they didn't make. And if it didn't have the "no," then it would be argument via insinuation as it's not being clear the point being made.

For more info on whataboutism, Wikipedia's article is a good summary. It talks about how whataboutism can be rhetorically problematic, but also how accusations of whataboutism can be manipulative and how comparing actors can be good faith and useful when used for contextualization.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Reduced to numbers.

Thank god, Austria is in full support mode for Israel. If you follow the news here, it sounds like the IDF is fighting aliens to protect the whole world. It is pretty sad to see

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 4, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Abu Ubeida was on AJA, where he provided what can only be called a sizzle reel of Hamas attacks on IDF vehicles. For obvious reasons will not be sharing, but main notes:

- 25 vehicles destroyed in 24 hours
- In a lot of the footage Hamas soldiers are genuinely just walking up within 15 feet of a tank before destroying them; still no infantry screens, just columns of merkavas that may as well be completely blind.
- Showed off a new type of RPG

Wall Street Journal is corroborating the general tone that the IDF is having a rough time:

Hamas Has Deadlier Weapons Than the Last Time Israel Invaded Gaza

Notable quote:

quote:

The U.S. fought several wars against militant groups, including al-Qaeda and the Taliban, only to face lengthy and stubborn insurgencies. Eradicating Hamas will perhaps be even harder, analysts say.

“Hamas has very, very deep roots, and that’s different from al Qaeda, which was smaller,” said Dan Byman, senior fellow and expert in counterterrorism with the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank. 

Even if a defeat for Hamas deters Palestinians from joining the group, the Israeli offensive will fuel anger among Palestinians, who might join other armed groups. Israel hasn’t offered any indication of what comes after the military operation. It likely won’t maintain a permanent ground troop presence in the strip, and there are no settler communities that appear willing to live there. Crucially, Byman said, even the U.S. had tangible support in the populations where it fought insurgencies. 

“The U.S. had advantages, a lot of Iraqis and Afghans who wanted to work with them,” he said. “There are no Palestinians eager to work with Israelis in Gaza.” 

Marwan Abdel-Al, a senior official in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a Syria-based secular armed group with operations in Lebanon, Gaza and the West Bank, said in an interview in Lebanon that Hamas and its allies are better equipped to respond to an Israeli ground invasion than in the past.

“Today, it’s totally different from 2014,” he said, pointing to drones, as well as the type of advanced guerrilla methods developed by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and the Russian Wagner mercenary group.

It seems like the perfect storm of the IDF still thinking the trophy system can replace infantry (it couldn't even before Iran and Hamas figured it out), still with minimal experience out of vehicles, and Hamas being refined into a force that specifically wants an urban ground battle, and with an arsenal developed around taking out screenless vehicles.

There's a paper on IDF development through the years, published in April 2023. It goes through the evolution & devolution of the IDF up to 2006, where their defeat in Lebanon causes the doctrinal core of the IDF to fragment, and in the chaos the exact same doctrine that made them lose apparently won out:
https://academic.oup.com/book/45784/chapter/400601386

Notable quotes:

quote:

After Israel’s fire-only strategy failed to compel Hezbollah to desist from firing its rockets into Israel, Israel was forced to employ its ground forces to capture the territory from which the majority of those rockets were being launched. The result of the ground incursion can best be summed-up in the words of an Israeli paratrooper battalion commander after the war: ‘I entered Lebanon to arrest terrorists and collided with a regular army …’

(in one example a whole Israeli division needed more than 36 hours and suffered dozens of casualties to cross a few kilometres of ground whilst faced with the equivalent of one infantry company with a few anti-tank missile launchers)

Gradually through sheer persistence, superior numbers, and superior firepower, the Israelis wore down the Hezbollah ground units facing them and managed to achieve some territorial gains but much less than had been planned.

The major initial lesson of the 2006 war was that the Israeli ground forces had lost their ability to conduct regular warfare, whereas the irregular enemy was simultaneously acquiring exactly that ability.

At present there are three schools in the IDF debating what Israel’s doctrine vis-à-vis its current and near-future threats should be:
- No manoeuvre
- Limited ‘sophisticated’ manoeuvre
- Improved Traditional Manoeuvre

Whilst the IDF has stated in its latest strategy document that it is committed to land manoeuvre, IDF Chief of Staff, General Aviv Kochavi (2019 – 2023) is a strong advocate of option B. This is clearly expressed in Kochavi’s five-year force development plan ‘Momentum’ (Tnufa) which aspires to create a networked military with an emphasis on rapid multiple target detection and allocation of sensors to munitions.

TLDR: the IDF have become a bad army that excels through brute massing of expensive & expansive military equipment. They're heavily focused on policing tactics as a result of administrating the West Bank, and apparently their answer to their deficiencies has been to progress from "Cop" to "Robocop".

https://twitter.com/HaidarAkarar/status/1720584535631618240

I don't know Hebrew so I can't check this myself, but it would be amusing if the IDF are so green to fighting on-foot that they've reinvented "hit and run".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 4, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Paladinus posted:

There are actual Arabic numerals different from the ones we use.

But my understanding is their use is not completely ubiquitous nowadays. When I was checking the website of Palestinian Ministry of Health, they had Western numerals for various things there, like phone numbers, quantities, dates (although that one just might be a quirk of date format localisation), 19 in COVID-19, etc. I don't know, however, if military would use Western numerals on maps or whatever.

Everywhere I’ve experienced uses the western/faux-arabic/whatever 123456789 system for stuff like this even though that’s not how it’s written locally.

Like the Shinkansen don’t number the cars or label the tickets with Japanese numerals

E: like not taking a stance on if the IDF is lying but using what are now the global numerals isn’t some smoking gun

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 4, 2023

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Paladinus posted:

If it was abandoned, it was probably in a hurry if they didn't take the plans with them. Or the plans were left there deliberately.

Or the IDF is lying again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

loving lol y'all

can't even loving google can you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Reik posted:

Or the IDF is lying again.

Unlike with 'al-Qaeda manuals', I don't see any reason for them to lie about those plans. They are defensive plans, so their propaganda value is dubious. Another possible option, though, is that the plans are from ten years ago and are simply no longer relevant. The fact that there are CDs, when even Israel claimed that Hamas militants had thumb drives on them, could mean that that 'stronghold' was actually abandoned a long time ago for whatever reason.

Or the plans are actually for some sewer maintenance.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Folks, yes both sets of numerals are used but it’s far, far more common in written use in Palestine to be using Arabic numerals (sorry for the pedants in the thread: Eastern Arabic Numerals). In that regard I’d suggest it’s a lot like Chinese numerals (mixed usage but in written very common to default to Chinese numerals).

E: I should say I’ve got no statistical analysis for handwriting usage but this is certainly my experience with myself, my family in the West Bank and throughout the Arab world, my weekend Arabic school when I was a kid, notes from friends etc

Yes, I agree it’s not a smoking gun and yes it’s entirely possible that whoever wrote it prefers using English numerals (sorry, Western Arabic Numerals) but given all the other fake trash published by Israel it’s definitely something to note and to question.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 4, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Koos Group posted:

I wanted to clarify D&D's rules regarding whataboutism. Whataboutism is against the rules specifically when it violates I.B.1: When replying, respond directly to what the poster said. Let me illustrate with examples, assuming that Hamas and the IDF both eat infants, and no one in the thread has discussed this fact yet.

If someone says that Hamas is uniquely evil because they eat infants, and another poster points out that Israel also does, that is not against the rules because it is a direct refutation of the "uniquely" part.
If someone says that Hamas eats infants, and that's evil, and another person says that's true, and Israel also does it, so it can't be used as a metric to determine which side is worse, that is also not against the rules because it's acknowledging the point and expanding on it.
If someone says Hamas eats infants, and that's evil, and another person says no, Israel also does it, that is against the rules because it's presenting itself as refuting the previous poster while responding to a point they didn't make. And if it didn't have the "no," then it would be argument via insinuation as it's not being clear the point being made.

For more info on whataboutism, Wikipedia's article is a good summary. It talks about how whataboutism can be rhetorically problematic, but also how accusations of whataboutism can be manipulative and how comparing actors can be good faith and useful when used for contextualization.

Perfect time to remind everyone there's a feedback thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4046491

You can tell Koos what you think of the rules and moderation enforcement.

Remember, be quick, your input only matters on weekend days!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Unlike with 'al-Qaeda manuals', I don't see any reason for them to lie about those plans. They are defensive plans, so their propaganda value is dubious. Another possible option, though, is that the plans are from ten years ago and are simply no longer relevant. The fact that there are CDs, when even Israel claimed that Hamas militants had thumb drives on them, could mean that that 'stronghold' was actually abandoned a long time ago for whatever reason.

Or the plans are actually for some sewer maintenance.

Because the "defensive plans" they show include the refugee camp the IDF bombed just the other day in them, and the existence of Hamas defensive plans for a refugee camp feeds in to the narrative that IDF was justified in bombing said camp.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Reik posted:

Because the "defensive plans" they show include the refugee camp the IDF bombed just the other day in them, and the existence of Hamas defensive plans for a refugee camp feeds in to the narrative that IDF was justified in bombing said camp.

Ah, sorry, wasn't mentioned in that twitter thread. Makes a lot of sense, if that's the case.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Ah, sorry, wasn't mentioned in that twitter thread. Makes a lot of sense, if that's the case.

No worries, the thread mentions Jabalya and has a google maps overlay, and unless I'm bad at maps or the Jabalia refugee camp is very small there's overlap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neurolimal posted:

TLDR: the IDF have become a bad army that excels through brute massing of expensive & expansive military equipment. They're heavily focused on policing tactics as a result of administrating the West Bank, and apparently their answer to their deficiencies has been to progress from "Cop" to "Robocop".
Yes exactly, and that's why they are going to have a really bad time the longer they are in Gaza. They got embarrassed in 2006 in Lebanon by Hezbollah, and since then drones became a thing. The IDF hasn't done major ground operations since 2006 and has mostly conducted airstrikes into Gaza which are generally not contested. At least I can't remember an Israeli plane getting shot down there in a long time. As you said, the IDF's primary purpose has been policing actions in occupied West Bank. There's no chance that these soldiers are prepared for really brutal street-to-street fighting against a guerilla force like Hamas.

The IDF and the Israeli leadership as a whole has consistently underestimated Hamas, and they don't seem to have learned any lessons. I'll be curious to see at what point the Israeli public sours on this ground invasion as the casualties pile up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Abu Ubeida was on AJA, where he provided what can only be called a sizzle reel of Hamas attacks on IDF vehicles. For obvious reasons will not be sharing, but main notes:

- 25 vehicles destroyed in 24 hours
- In a lot of the footage Hamas soldiers are genuinely just walking up within 15 feet of a tank before destroying them; still no infantry screens, just columns of merkavas that may as well be completely blind.
- Showed off a new type of RPG
Someone linked what I assume was this video to me - I wouldn't say it's particularly graphic, it's a compilation of tanks being hit by RPGs, invariably followed by a jump cut so you can't see whether the tanks actually sustained any damage. The claim that they're destroying dozens of vehicles per day seems unlikely given the lack of images of destroyed tanks - is it possible that Hamas' outdated anti-tank weaponry is struggling to destroy modern tanks even when they successfully land an ambush?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 5, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The RPG-29s are not outdated and should be perfectly capable of penetrating anything Israel can field if they it in the side or rear. They use a tandem warhead and can penetrate 750mm of armor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-29

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
In addition, the fighters in almost all of those videos are extremely close and have plenty of time to aim. They're going to be hitting weaker sections of armour.

e: And it's probably less a jump cut to avoid showing an intact tank and more the fact the guys are booking it the gently caress out of there after just revealing their position and there's nothing interesting in seeing a shaking camera of feet.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 5, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

The RPG-29s are not outdated and should be perfectly capable of penetrating anything Israel can field if they it in the side or rear. They use a tandem warhead and can penetrate 750mm of armor.
Israel has Trophy on most of their tanks, the expected outcome of a single RPG-29 shot to the side is Trophy activating and blowing up the rocket before impact.

To defeat such a tank, you need to hit it more than once in a short time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Trophy doesn't activate for a launch within 50m apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
for the amount of weapons, including ostensibly quite capable weapons, fired at Israeli tanks there is a curious shortage of evidence of destroyed tanks as far as I'm aware so there's something not adding up. it's very possible that hamas does not actually have correct data about trophy's capabilities or about the other active protective systems idf uses on their tanks. there's almost certainly more systems involved than just trophy, too, though technical specifications of vehicle countermeasure systems tend to be incredibly closely guarded secrets

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 5, 2023