Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The closest thing to a backstory my main has is that he is a dude that likes books and wanted to find cool books and ended up accidentally rediscovering two forms of ancient magic by virtue of reading too many books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My dude killed bahamut but it was on an incredibly drunken dare and while passed out in cartenau and unable to defend himself in the court of public opinion, louisoix stole credit and he's been traveling the land ever since looking for people to do binding coils to set the god drat record straight.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hellioning posted:

The closest thing to a backstory my main has is that he is a dude that likes books and wanted to find cool books and ended up accidentally rediscovering two forms of ancient magic by virtue of reading too many books.

Urianger must be jealous

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My WoL only bothers saving the world to distract himself from his crippling addiction to collecting useless doodads and playing mahjong

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kazy posted:

I believe all 1.0 characters get the teleport intro, but they don't get any of the other CSes.

Nope. My character is from 1.0 and I got a typical ARR starting cutscene or anything else. I survived(?) the calamity and all I got was this stupid tattoo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

didn’t you get a special chocobo

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Argas posted:

Nope. My character is from 1.0 and I got a typical ARR starting cutscene or anything else. I survived(?) the calamity and all I got was this stupid tattoo.

Ah, weird. It's been a very long time since I started my 1.0 character but when I check the journal it's a teleport animation.

e: you only got a chocobo if you unlocked chocobos in 1.0 which was still level 30 iirc, which I didn't hit

Kazy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 3, 2022

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
My male moon cat WoL lived as a hobo hermit in the Shroud (his family was very conservative about no men in the house) until Bahamut happened and he got saved by Gridania's conjurers. With zero social skills and the charisma of a dead dodo, his most fervent wish is to be a random background NPC and keep his head out of trouble... which, considering what game he's in, goes poorly :v:

I tried to tie this into his character design by giving him grey skin and hair. Since everything gets desaturated at night, he kinda just... disappears against a lot of the backgrounds. Can't attract attention if people can't see you, or something.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Veev posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrgJatG4aQ

It's like 25 minutes into this, all the characters in 1.0 start remembering that you were the warrior of light, before this all they can remember is a someone obscured by light.

man, arr cutscenes were rough, weren't they

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Ziddar posted:

For roleplay purposes, usually people use that search info for a very brief descriptor, maybe a 'RP = IC,' and a link to their character carrd. Not much else you can do with it.

How I miss the positively massive character bio section in The City of Heroes/Villains game. They also had that in addition to a search info.

Oh well, no game is perfect

Edit: I guess to contribute to the actual topic at hand.
I technically have two head canons with Yolo because I sometimes rp with people so I have to have a non WOL version but they are rather similar despite all that echo and scion business.

Yolocaza is an Ul'dah native but took up adventuring to help prop up her families failed business, eventually growing sick of said business as she realized that she was actually the only source of profit for the whole venture.

Not all influenced by growing up on a failing farm in real life that was propped up by everyone's second jobs, nope not at all

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 3, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My WoL, Ceail Oerdekka ("keel or-deck-uh", I really need to simplify that name), is mostly just a traveler looking to experience the world, and just so happened to be very important. Ended up being very appropriate cuz Azem. She's an adopted orphan, so she doesn't have a traditional Hellsguard name. I'm an Explorer gamer archetype, so she is too. Her backstory is otherwise very vague and hasn't been nailed down yet - I should start taking notes.

She's futch, lazy, bad with money, somewhat excitable, speaks oddly, and takes a while to warm up to people. Just like me! :sun:

That said, I kinda waffle on how much Ceail is me and how much she is Ceail. I guess more of an avatar of my will?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 3, 2022

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I changed my mind, Zenos was right about me. :v:

Not really, I don't play to fight, I fight to play. Or something

e: Also, to expand upon my WoL being from Vana'diel: He has no idea whether Vana'diel is a true alternate world, or just one of the shards of Eorzea. Or whether it was the ones destroyed in the Calamity.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Was the Eleventh one of the shards that was destroyed? It would be kinda funny given that FFXI is still running.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Begemot posted:

Was the Eleventh one of the shards that was destroyed? It would be kinda funny given that FFXI is still running.

The 11th is one of the remaining shards. So maybe.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, going by the Crystal Exarch's PowerPoint presentation near the start of Shadowbringers, if we assume that the shards are going clockwise from the Source in the Crystal Exarch's model, then that would mean the shards that were collapsed for the previous Calamities were the Fifth (Wind), the Twelfth (Lightning), the Second (Fire), the Third (Earth), the Sixth (Ice), the Tenth (Water) and the Seventh (Darkness). So that means the remaining, unrejoined shards are the First (Light), the Fourth, the Eighth, the Ninth, the Eleventh, and the Thirteenth (which is VOID, and thus, prohibited).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yep. So:

First Calamity - Fifth Shard

Second Calamity - Twelfth Shard

Third Calamity - Second Shard

Fourth Calamity - Third Shard

Fifth Calamity - Sixth Shard

Sixth Calamity - Tenth Shard

Seventh Calamity - Seventh Shard

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The eleventh umbral calamity, when everyone was killed by goblins trained to the zone line

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Unironically hype for when one of those civilizations on the reflections that would surprise us is just knock off van'diel.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

New lore: Eureka happened because lahabrea got pretty close to triggering an extra calamity but missed his shot, so we just got a little bit of FF11 rejoined

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A little bit of FFXI, as a treat.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Begemot posted:

how quickly we forget shantotto's visit

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Venuz Patrol posted:

They haven't run hers or Iroha's event since I've started playing :mad:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kazy posted:

They haven't run hers or Iroha's event since I've started playing :mad:

they should run it again so she can collab with yshtola on dimensional travel

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

Did she get to meet Shatotto?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Final Fantasy Origin will be revealed to be a confluence of shards

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am still waiting to see reports of Viera - Loporrit special dialogues

There isn't any.

They can make up for it by giving Viera an exclusive emote. All I want is to do that ear flop thing that Loporrits do when you're talking to them.

And maybe the asynchronous hand wave they do.

I love the bunnies.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If we assume each shard has/had a population equal to Earth c.1700, with seven destroyed shards plus 90% depopulation of the First, that means the Ascians may have murdered over 5.5 billion people on the shards (plus casualties on the Source for each Calamity). Call it ~7 billion total

Edit: forgot about the 13th so that brings us to up to 6.2 billion dead from just the shards

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 3, 2022

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
huge missed opportunity in the 80 reaper quest to use the WoL smirk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A little bit of FFXI, as a treat.

finally, corsair

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

finally, corsair

Make it the Merlwyb dual gunner job with some added dice rolling insanity (add some Setzer flavor too with some card trick attacks / slots abilities or something, I dunno). They'll never do it, based on the way AST has changed from Heavensward to current - the dev team has absolutely taken a turn to more predictable, less chaotic design that minimizes randomization / fishing for a specific desired result, which is probably for the best.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Maining Corsair in XI is 100% the reason why I play the "Gunner" jobs of Machinist, Gunbreaker, and Sage in XIV. :v: (and the reason I have pirate glams for all of them)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even without randomness, a Merlwyb-style dual gunner would be an excellent choice for the fourth ranged physical DPS whenever that happens. Give people a job that's just a straight-up gunner instead of an engineer who happens to also have a gun.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Really is too bad they gave us MCH which is boring and lame instead of Corsair which is cool and stylish

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Badger of Basra posted:

Really is too bad they gave us MCH which is boring and lame instead of Corsair which is cool and stylish

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome Drill is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah yes I really want two guns over *checks notes* a chainsaw, drill, flamethrower and a personal combat robot.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes I really want two guns over *checks notes* a chainsaw, drill, flamethrower and a personal combat robot.

Don't forget the shotgun.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Today I was thinking on the scale of fights throughout the game and I have composed a list of the Trial bosses that are *not* Primals

We have:
-Rhitahtyn
-A Chimera and a Hydra (from ARR Relics)
-Gilgamesh, Ultros, and Typhon
-Nabriales
-Vishap, a massive dragon
-Ultima Weapon (extreme trial only)
-Reborn Nidhogg
-The Auspices
-Rathalos
-Yojimbo (Gil again)
-The Lightwardens
-Hades
-The Weapons
-Emperor Varis (extreme only, memory projection)
-The Endsinger

In total that's still a lot of incredibly aether-dense beings, plus the Endsinger being chock full of Akasha/Dynamis, leaving us with only these remaining:

-A Roegadyn
-Two big Allagan-made creatures
-Some voidsent and a weirdo outsider
-A wyvern from another world, dragon in all but name
-a big garlean dude (again, not even the real guy)

Overall, it's no wonder that Cape Westwind is such a joke

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I actually do...

My personal class fantasy for a dual-pistol corsair is more of a gunmage.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Zomborgon posted:

Overall, it's no wonder that Cape Westwind is such a joke

Cape Westwind only exists for times when you're on your lunch break and just want to grind out some quick roulettes for Tomestones, just to hope that you get it. Instead, you will get the Emerald Weapon fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So my heacanon for my WoL is she's from a family of pearl-divers in Western Thanalan. She lost most of her family in the Calamity, but still had a grandmother to take care of. After five years it became obvious that pearl-diving wasn't cutting it anymore, so she travelled to Ul'dah to join the Gladiator's Guild.

On her first night in Ul'dah, she discovered that the Platinum Lodge across the Aetheryte Plaza wasn't an exclusive gambling den, but the place where the Monetarist have their weekly TTRPG campaign (the sign has a D20 on it). She discovered this because whenever that group needs a sub for a player, they just grab someone off the street, and today was her lucky day. Thus our hero's first exposure to Ul'dah's elite was listening to Lolorito whine at Godbert about "my immersion". The WoL-to-be somehow managed to get through the night without laughing at the absurdity of the situation, and adopted the phrase as her nom de guerre.

Only a handful of others know My's actual name, and that was when they were in earshot of her telling it to someone dying or soon to be dead (Haurchefant and Hades, respectively). Most NPCs pronounce her first name as "Mia", something she has Tataru to thank for.

As for grandma, she's now living in what used to be The Waking Sands. My spends between a week to a month with her after every patch.