Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Gorgar posted:

I hope she continues to improve. You should post a picture. You know, for luck.

Well, if it's for luck...

"This is my happy face."

She's almost back to normal, drinking, energetic, being feisty. She still jumps up to the windowsill and counters to survey her domain. The only difference is that she's still not eating. I got her to drink a little tuna water, and she's enjoying her water fountain like normal, but not scarfing down her food or treats like normal.

I'm going to leave her alone for a few hours in the morning if she continues to improve, and come back to check on her in the afternoon. I swear I think the more I coddle her the more irritated she gets, so I'm going to give her some space and hope she continues to improve.

Okay...so the stankface was strong in that photo. Here's a more normal one:

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus, what a gorgeous old lady cat. :kimchi:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Three weeks into introducing Leona (2 year old polydactyl female, in the back) to the household where Ibanez (6 year old long haired female) has been the only feline member for the last 5 years. From my previous posts you have probably gathered that I've been worried that it wouldn't work, as they're both "broken" cats that have been mistreated and left by previous owners, and Ibanez has shown some antisocial/territorial tendencies towards neighbor cats and visitors in the past.

Well, she has surprised us all with being the least aggressive part, almost welcoming. Leona is still a little jumpy and will twitch whenever she hears a sound or someone approaches, and sometimes growls and takes a defensive stand towards Ibanez.

Lately, Ibanez has even started rubbing up against her new housemate while they're waiting for food to be served. Yesterday she went right up to Leona and rubbed her own face right into the other cat's face, it almost looked like she was kissing her. It went on for some seconds before the new cat got weirded out by the display and hissed/lashed out. Stand offs and growling/hissing happens more seldom for every passing day, and we are starting to believe that this is going to work out just fine.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Whats the best strategy for moving two cats cross country without having crate related accidents?

It's a 3 day 2 night drive with both nights at a pet friendly hotel.
Is the best strategy food and water when we check in, leave the litter boxes out all night, then repeat? (basically if they eat/drink in the afternoon, bathroom activities should stay around evening/overnight/early morning?)
Spend all day in the cab of the truck either in their travel crates or chilling in the cab but with harness and leashes on?

If i do option B should i have a small litter box in the cab too?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Whats the best strategy for moving two cats cross country without having crate related accidents?

It's a 3 day 2 night drive with both nights at a pet friendly hotel.
Is the best strategy food and water when we check in, leave the litter boxes out all night, then repeat? (basically if they eat/drink in the afternoon, bathroom activities should stay around evening/overnight/early morning?)
Spend all day in the cab of the truck either in their travel crates or chilling in the cab but with harness and leashes on?

If i do option B should i have a small litter box in the cab too?

I've done both, not cross country, though. When I moved cross country they came on the plane with me. They hated it but handled it well. As for driving, as long as there is someone there who can keep them away from the driver, you should be okay, but keep in mind you will likely lose them if you're in an accident. They may be happier (my cat loved basking in the back window), but they won't be safe. I'd crate them to be safe, maybe drape a familiar blanket over them. Cats are territorial, and the less territory they have to "defend" the more comfortable they feel.

My old fart has been feeling better, I guess, purring up a storm and angling for pets, but she still will not eat. We went to the store and bought a fresh roast chicken, cheese, and sardines in water, all things she loves. She turned her nose up at the chicken and cheese, and nibbled on the sardines for a minute before ignoring that too. I'm at a loss, it's been almost two days since she ate anything substantial. Her e-vet suggested a different course of antibiotics, but Clavamox is supposed to be the mild one, and she's used it before with no adverse reaction. I'm waiting for her regular vet to call back to see what she says. I just want her to be well again.

And of course, the more I pester her, the more she hides. She's behind the toilet now, which is where she goes when she absolutely can't stand me (reminiscient of our adventures in subcutaneous fluids, yay). I cancelled my morning plans to go skydiving and I swear I think she wishes I'd have gone. "Would you please go jump out of a plane and leave me alone?!"

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 3, 2015

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend a brand of wet cat food similar to Fancy Feast but with better ingredients? It is the only wet food she will eat, and will barely touch the healthier dry food I put out (although she will eventually eat it if I don't give her Fancy Feast). I've managed to dial it back on her Fancy Feast, but she was nursing for a bit and I was more concerned about her getting enough food. That isn't the case anymore and I'm transitioning to more dry food. But I would like to have a healthy wet food for occasional servings.

I've tried fancier food like stuff made with tuna or chicken that looks like it's actually meat grades good enough for human consumption. She will not touch it and will go for the dry food instead.

Please help. She is dying inside. Her farts smell like what you'd expect to pass through a bloated corpse's butthole. They linger and are thicker than fog. Her poops come out like overly warm, stinky soft serve yoghurt. She loves Fancy Feast but I know she knows it's bad for her. I feel like I am enabling a diabetic by giving them Pixie Sticks.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

cumshitter posted:

Can anyone recommend a brand of wet cat food similar to Fancy Feast but with better ingredients? It is the only wet food she will eat, and will barely touch the healthier dry food I put out (although she will eventually eat it if I don't give her Fancy Feast). I've managed to dial it back on her Fancy Feast, but she was nursing for a bit and I was more concerned about her getting enough food. That isn't the case anymore and I'm transitioning to more dry food. But I would like to have a healthy wet food for occasional servings.

I've tried fancier food like stuff made with tuna or chicken that looks like it's actually meat grades good enough for human consumption. She will not touch it and will go for the dry food instead.

Please help. She is dying inside. Her farts smell like what you'd expect to pass through a bloated corpse's butthole. They linger and are thicker than fog. Her poops come out like overly warm, stinky soft serve yoghurt. She loves Fancy Feast but I know she knows it's bad for her. I feel like I am enabling a diabetic by giving them Pixie Sticks.

I use Wild Calling! and my cats scarf it down.

I only buy the rabbit, duck, and buffalo.

If you want to give it a try, check your local pet food store. If you look on the site I provided, you can search by area code if you have a retailer near you.

Bina fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 4, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
General consensus is that wet food is always better than dry, even if it's Fancy Feast. The bargain/supermarket version of dry food has the same amount of sugar/carbs/garbage that the wet food has, but it's just less stinky. You can transition her to the healthier wet stuff if you want, but typically, wetter is better.

Edit: for an ACTUAL recommendation, I liked Natural Balance before Mona went on Rx food. Healthy and palatable without breaking the bank. Don't try Blue Buffalo right away--it's hard to transition them from junk to the really good stuff without some GI distress. You have to ease into that very gently.

Update on Mona: the vet gave her Remeron (anti-depressant with the side effect of appetite stimulation), which I crushed into powder, dissolved into 1/2 mL of tuna water, and squirted in her mouth, which she loves, of course. But it did the trick. She ate an entire can's worth of tuna water runoff, a spoonful of baby food, and some sardine slurry. I got her a brothy wet food at the grocery store. I'd prefer she eat her k/d stuff, but at this point it's time to just get something in her. After two days of eating almost nothing, I'll take what I can get. I'll reassess tomorrow if she doesn't start eating her k/d food. She's drinking and peeing like a champ, which is encouraging.

The boyfriend is staying home with her tomorrow, and she loves him to bits--much more so than me. She sees me as the rear end in a top hat who squirts yucky stuff in her mouth and takes her to mean people who poke her with needles. So I'm hopeful that her love for him will make her perk up a bit.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

cumshitter posted:

Can anyone recommend a brand of wet cat food similar to Fancy Feast but with better ingredients? It is the only wet food she will eat.

I have this problem (feature?) too. He'll eat Tuna For Cats and Fancy Feast and any dry food in existence but has been completely unenthusiastic about any good quality wet food. Perhaps related: he also has no interest in table scraps even unseasoned fish and chicken. He eats oat grass and random dried leaves he finds on the ground though.

Cats, man.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Maggie Fletcher posted:

General consensus is that wet food is always better than dry, even if it's Fancy Feast. The bargain/supermarket version of dry food has the same amount of sugar/carbs/garbage that the wet food has, but it's just less stinky. You can transition her to the healthier wet stuff if you want, but typically, wetter is better.

Edit: for an ACTUAL recommendation, I liked Natural Balance before Mona went on Rx food. Healthy and palatable without breaking the bank. Don't try Blue Buffalo right away--it's hard to transition them from junk to the really good stuff without some GI distress. You have to ease into that very gently.

Natural Balance used to be a hit in our house a long time back, but no one will even go near it now for some reason. They hate it :( I tried every healthy food out there I can think of, and was recommended and not one was accepted by the majority of our 5 cats. It got very frustrating.

Our vet actually recommended FF for our cats since Fat Newton was living up to his name and needed to lose a few pounds. Since everyone communal eats, Dr said FF would work for a low carb weight loss for our cats, as long as we stayed with the classic flavors (classic beef, classic turkey and giblets, and classic chicken), and the classic seafood flavors (Ocean Whitefish and Tuna, Savory Salmon, and the Cod/Sole& Shrimp Feast). They have been losing weight well, and get a few cans a few times a day. The dry food that they loved is now parceled out as crunchy treats and they are happy with that. Newtons bloodwork and weight has improved drastically, and the others have been doing great on it also, and trimming up too. They are much more active too which is nice!! At least we finally found something that everyone will eat.

We just order from Amazon every few weeks a bunch of boxes...http://smile.amazon.com/Fancy-Feast-Classic-Poultry-Variety/dp/B001STPJJO/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02V9YX5GQ4JDTPGQS1FH and http://smile.amazon.com/Fancy-Feast-Gourmet-3-Flavor-Seafood/dp/B0010B3FIC/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=10RCWSVC6VD75JQ5VC79

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We have a picky cat that wouldn't eat any of the healthy expensive cat food the vet wanted us to try (she loves any of the cheap crap tho) but we finally found that she'll eat AvoDerm. It's stinky like the cheap stuff so that might be what she likes about it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
^^really, whatever gets them eating is what's best. If you have the healthiest food in the world and they won't eat it, it's not doing them any good. So if the cheap crap is all they'll eat, that's what you're stuck with. You might be able to sneak some healthier stuff in there in small doses so it's not AS bad, but some cats catch on to that trick really easily.

Mona update: she's back to eating her normal k/d food again and her last dose of Clavamox will be tonight. When she ate some tuna water/sardines/baby food this weekend, I was cheering like a madwoman, but there is a downside. Either the appetite stimulant or the fish gave her terrible gas and explosive diarrhea. We woke up to some serious foulness early this morning. It smelled like rotten fish. But she's even been eating some of her dry k/d food, and is 100% back on cat food, so I'm hoping the diarrhea is temporary.

She's back to jumping on the bed and windowsills, and is back sleeping in "her" box (an old shoebox that she adopted before I got a chance to recycle it), so I'm optimistic.

Friday and Saturday were terrifying. I was so, so scared. I know she's going to go eventually, but she's been generally healthy for her age, so I haven't been prepared to see her get sick.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 5, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dear cat thread, I need your help.

I have an absolute sweetheart that I adopted from a shelter back in February. He's about 18 months old, we bonded really quickly, he loves being around me and getting attention. He doesn't claw the furniture, and he doesn't jump up where's he's not supposed to. He's also fixed, which may or may not be relevant to the issue at hand, which is:

I work a full-time regular job, and I also have a part-time gig that's mostly on the weekends, with the occasional weeknight thrown in. I usually have enough time between them to come home and spend some time with the little guy so he's not alone for 16 hours or whatever. However, on two occasions now, on nights where I've worked both jobs, he's peed on furniture. The first time it happened was a few weeks ago. He peed on my bed (right in front of me) in the spot where I sleep. At 1:00AM, all I could do was strip everything off the bed, towel off the mattress and spray Nature's Miracle on it, and sleep in the spare room. He spent the night confined to the kitchen.

Fast-forward to tonight, and I come home to find he's peed on the sofa while I was gone, once again in the spot where I usually sit. So, he's been confined to the kitchen again. The problem tonight is, because he did it long before I got home, whatever disciplinary moment there could have been was long past.

So I guess my primary questions are, why is he doing this (I'd hazard a guess that he's either trying to be spiteful or it's some kind of weird separation anxiety), and how do I make him stop short of quitting my part-time gig. I'm really worried about what this means if I want to go out of town for a weekend or something. If he can't handle me being gone for several hours, how would he deal with several days?

And here's a pic of the furry little troublemaker for good measure:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Dear cat thread, I need your help.

I have an absolute sweetheart that I adopted from a shelter back in February. He's about 18 months old, we bonded really quickly, he loves being around me and getting attention. He doesn't claw the furniture, and he doesn't jump up where's he's not supposed to. He's also fixed, which may or may not be relevant to the issue at hand, which is:

I work a full-time regular job, and I also have a part-time gig that's mostly on the weekends, with the occasional weeknight thrown in. I usually have enough time between them to come home and spend some time with the little guy so he's not alone for 16 hours or whatever. However, on two occasions now, on nights where I've worked both jobs, he's peed on furniture. The first time it happened was a few weeks ago. He peed on my bed (right in front of me) in the spot where I sleep. At 1:00AM, all I could do was strip everything off the bed, towel off the mattress and spray Nature's Miracle on it, and sleep in the spare room. He spent the night confined to the kitchen.

Fast-forward to tonight, and I come home to find he's peed on the sofa while I was gone, once again in the spot where I usually sit. So, he's been confined to the kitchen again. The problem tonight is, because he did it long before I got home, whatever disciplinary moment there could have been was long past.

So I guess my primary questions are, why is he doing this (I'd hazard a guess that he's either trying to be spiteful or it's some kind of weird separation anxiety), and how do I make him stop short of quitting my part-time gig. I'm really worried about what this means if I want to go out of town for a weekend or something. If he can't handle me being gone for several hours, how would he deal with several days?

And here's a pic of the furry little troublemaker for good measure:

he looks cool, i know he's a black cat but learn to focus

See if you can check with a vet; if it's a new thing apropos of nothing, your cat could have crystal dick. Sometimes this will lead them to stay away from the litterbox because they'll associate that with pee pain, and will look for more comfortable stuff to be on/around.

Other than that, inappropriate peeing can be due to being stressed out, which can happen for some cats if left alone for a while, but if this is a new thing happening recently and you've been out for a while before, I wouldn't think this is the case.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'd hazard a guess that he's either trying to be spiteful
no

also what's his name

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Crystal dick is no joke. Your cat could be going "AAAAGH AAAGH HELP I'M PEEING FIRE" and just wants to be somewhere he feels safe and comfortable and hiding where it smells like you.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
First, vet, because usually peeing outside the box is a sign of urinary trouble. If the vet clears him, try a kitty friend of you think he's lonely. And another litterbox. But I wouldn't be surprised if the vet turned something up.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

marchantia posted:

First, vet, because usually peeing outside the box is a sign of urinary trouble. If the vet clears him, try a kitty friend of you think he's lonely. And another litterbox. But I wouldn't be surprised if the vet turned something up.

I don't know that introducing a new cat would help. That can be a serious stressor as well. I never figured out what made my ex's cat pee all over our apartment (she preferred clean laundry, that BITCH!) but in the span of two months we adopted a second cat and extremely loud construction was happening directly outside our window every day. We figured it was a combination of those two events.

It's not spite; it could be stress or a more serious issue. Take him to the vet to rule out medical stuff. It could be feline idiopathic cystitis, where it's painful for the cat to urinate due to inflammation of the bladder brought on by stress, and he associates the litter box with pain. The vet will have some recommendations, but here's what we did:

-Vet gave us some kitty morphine to give to her for 5 days
-Vet also prescribed some kind of anti inflammatory I think?
-Filled the house feliway diffusers
-Got a second litter box in a new location
-Closed the windows during the day to keep out construction noise
-Kept her away from things she liked to piss on - she was not allowed in the bedroom for a few weeks

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

duckfarts posted:

he looks cool, i know he's a black cat but learn to focus

For as smart as my smart phone claims to be, it's got the single shittiest camera ever produced.

quote:

See if you can check with a vet; if it's a new thing apropos of nothing, your cat could have crystal dick. Sometimes this will lead them to stay away from the litterbox because they'll associate that with pee pain, and will look for more comfortable stuff to be on/around.

I could almost buy into this, except that he just had his annual with the vet last month and got a clean bill of health (not to say nothing could have happened between then and now, but still feels unlikely). Also, except for those two instances, he's having no issues with the box. I would also expect him to be peeing in other places than just where I sit or sleep specifically.

quote:

no

Poor phrasing. How about, he's acting out due to being stressed because I'm gone. Does that work better?

quote:

also what's his name

Baker, because he loves to make biscuits. And also because he makes a pretty respectable catloaf. Here, have another lovely cellphone pic.

To those suggesting a kitty playmate: I've contemplated it on and off, but the shelter said he needs to be an only cat. Apparently that's why his previous humans surrendered him. That being said, he seems to tolerate my parents' (female) cats fairly well, so perhaps it's a matter of he can't be around other male cats? Regardless, that's not a road I'm prepared to go down just yet. If it's a stress situation, I don't think he'd welcome an addition.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Pee problems are usually a vet problem. My cat sometimes floor-poops out of spite, but her pee is ALWAYS in the box unless there's a problem. Get your guy checked out; while you're there, discuss with the vet how to handle the problem if it's not health-related.

Also I sympathize with the photo problems. I have a pretty good camera but I can't take a good photo to save my life.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm betting that somewhere in this 500 page thread, this has been covered, but: any advice on giving your dumb bitchy cat a pill?

My cat has a UTI and needs to take half a pill of Zeniquin a day. I'm a stupid pile of trash and I can't hold her down long enough to shove the pill down her throat, so I tried hiding it in her favorite food. She snubbed it. I wrapped her favorite food in bacon. She snubbed it. I rolled it in catnip. I yelled at her. I gave her $50. None of this has worked. How do I trick this idiot animal into taking a pill that is good for her? Can I crush it up and mix it with a liquid? Is there a treat that puts even the most particular of cats at ease?

Here she is, begging you strangers to help with her pissing problems and generally being an idiot.

e: Hello Tuxedo Cat Friend. I haven't tried those because I couldn't get to Petco today. They're going to close in 15 minutes and I won't get there in time. I plan on getting some tomorrow and maybe also praying to the dark lord satan because anything helps.

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 7, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Have you tried these?

http://www.petco.com/product/106488/Greenies-Chicken-Feline-Pill-Pockets.aspx

They may work once. Possibly twice, if you're lucky.

E: also, what up, fellow tuxedo-haver.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

You can get a pill pusher from the pet store or on Amazon. It's like a little slingshot type contraption that shoots the pill past the tongue so they can't spit it out.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

CompactFanny posted:

You can get a pill pusher from the pet store or on Amazon. It's like a little slingshot type contraption that shoots the pill past the tongue so they can't spit it out.

I do have a few syringe-plunger-things from the vets. Can I crush these pills up? I can give my cat liquid medicine because for some reason she sits still just long enough for me to do that.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I would call the vet and ask if crushing it is okay before you do it. Depending on what specific medicine it is and what form it's in, crushing it may change how it works. The vet or a tech should be able to answer that over the phone.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Scroto Baggins posted:

My cat has a UTI and needs to take half a pill of Zeniquin a day. I'm a stupid pile of trash and I can't hold her down long enough to shove the pill down her throat, so I tried hiding it in her favorite food. She snubbed it. I wrapped her favorite food in bacon. She snubbed it. I rolled it in catnip. I yelled at her. I gave her $50. None of this has worked. How do I trick this idiot animal into taking a pill that is good for her? Can I crush it up and mix it with a liquid? Is there a treat that puts even the most particular of cats at ease?

Rather than giving your cat $50, try giving a friend/neighbour $50 and asking them to hold the cat wrapped in a towel while you shove the pill down her throat.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Have you tried these?

http://www.petco.com/product/106488/Greenies-Chicken-Feline-Pill-Pockets.aspx

They may work once. Possibly twice, if you're lucky.

E: also, what up, fellow tuxedo-haver.

God I'm so lucky, I bought these on a whim because "hey why not get the kitties used to this as a treat before I have any need to hide pills in it" and one of my cats loves them so much she literally tore apart the bag to eat them all. I can get her to run across the entire house just by shaking the bag. My other loving cat turned his nose up at them though. So I guess try them, in my anecdotal experience you have a 50% chance of it fixing all your problems.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Scroto Baggins posted:

I do have a few syringe-plunger-things from the vets. Can I crush these pills up? I can give my cat liquid medicine because for some reason she sits still just long enough for me to do that.

Different pills than I had, but I had great success with crushing. Mix with very watered down wet food. If making more than one batch, put in tiny watertight container, store in fridge. To administer, shake well, syringe out one dose worth, syringe into cat.

I preferred this method because, although you lose a little to the crushing, and a little to the container and the syringe, most of it gets into the cat quickly and without stress, and you never skip a dose because cat spits it out later. Mine was good at that.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

For as smart as my smart phone claims to be, it's got the single shittiest camera ever produced.

I could almost buy into this, except that he just had his annual with the vet last month and got a clean bill of health (not to say nothing could have happened between then and now, but still feels unlikely). Also, except for those two instances, he's having no issues with the box. I would also expect him to be peeing in other places than just where I sit or sleep specifically.
Did you ask the vet about the pee problem specifically?

Other than that, you may want to look into getting a feliway diffuser and trying that out.

tap to focus on the part of his face where it's black and white so there's contrast for the camera to try to focus on, fully black cats are super hard to photograph partly because of this

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

CompactFanny posted:

I would call the vet and ask if crushing it is okay before you do it. Depending on what specific medicine it is and what form it's in, crushing it may change how it works. The vet or a tech should be able to answer that over the phone.

Gorgar posted:

Different pills than I had, but I had great success with crushing. Mix with very watered down wet food. If making more than one batch, put in tiny watertight container, store in fridge. To administer, shake well, syringe out one dose worth, syringe into cat.

I preferred this method because, although you lose a little to the crushing, and a little to the container and the syringe, most of it gets into the cat quickly and without stress, and you never skip a dose because cat spits it out later. Mine was good at that.

Thanks for the responses, all. I just spoke with the vet and this pill can be crushed up. Apparently, it's very bitter, which explains why my trash cat was snubbing everything. I'm going to give the pill pockets a try tonight. If that fails, powder + syringe. I want my fingers as far away from that cats mouth as possible...

toe knee hand posted:

Rather than giving your cat $50, try giving a friend/neighbour $50 and asking them to hold the cat wrapped in a towel while you shove the pill down her throat.
Hey, how you wanna make $50?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm so happy Jayne has liquid medicine after his teeth cleaning. I can put it in his wet food and walk away. He pretty much licks the bowl clean so I never worry about it getting missed somehow.

Now if I can just get him to stop whining hours before dinner time. :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Scroto Baggins posted:

Ask the vet. I had to give my girl an appetite stimulant in quarter-pill form. I have no experience giving her pills but I knew it would not go over well so I asked if I could pulverize it and dissolve it in liquid. Vet said go for it, as long as she gets the full dose. I crushed a quarter-pill, dissolved it in 1mL tuna water, and squirted it in her mouth. She hated me for it, but it went in and she started eating again.

You can use pill pockets for dogs because they'll eat anything. I don't even know why they make them for cats--I've never heard of that working for anyone (except that one poster upthread, just now, thanks for making a liar out of me).

My old fart is much better now. Her poops are solid again, she's eating (and her appetite stimulant wore off as of yesterday so this is the real thing), and is even climbing on her tree again. I even got her to play "fingers under the blanket" game for a few minutes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I struggled to give my cat a pill for a good hour. Wrapped him in a towel, pried open his jaws, shoved it down his throat and he managed to get free/scratch/bite me every time. Finally gave up and stuck it in some wet food as a last ditch effort, assuming he'd eat around it. Nope, stupid fucker ate it right away.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

My dumb cat loves treats so much, I've given her a pill straight up just by asking "wanna treat?!" and giving it to her like one. She doesn't chew anything anyway (hardly ever) and definitely not treats so it's the easiest thing to pill her. She horks it down and meows in my face for MORE TREATS!! :catstare:

Brushing her teeth is much harder :saddowns:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Coating it in butter is a guaranteed way to get a pill down one of my twits throat- he'll basically do anything you want to get butter...

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Coating it in butter is a guaranteed way to get a pill down one of my twits throat- he'll basically do anything you want to get butter...

That's a good idea too! But for now my stupid loving moron cat fell for the pill pocket! The trick was to feed her and the kitten a few empty pockets and then make them fight to the death over the pill-filled pocket. Thankfully the kitten lost.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

One of our old family cats was on daily/twice daily tablets for the last probably 3-4 years of her life and despite generally being a very bright cat who did only what she wanted to, she never worked out that her daily treats of crunchy cream cheese that she loved so much actually contained tablets in them. She would occasionally spit out the tablet but probably less than 10 times in the entire time she was on them, never enough to show that she'd worked out what was going on. So taking a tiny dollop of cream cheese and molding it around the tablet is also definitely an option for tricking cats.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
All my cats are terrible pill takers. Ugh HORRIBLE at it. Even the vets have issues getting them to take them.

I wish the whole butter thing would work, or pill pockets....but nope nothing works on these creatures. My old kitty Gypsy was an awesome med taker though. Anything could be given to her in a syringe and she would happily suck it all down with no arguments. It could be the worst tasting thing ever, and if it was in a syringe? She was all over it like it was the bestest ever. The only thing I can think of is that she was originally bottle fed with a syringe since she had nipple problems, and maybe she just kept the idea that syringe= good noms?
Whatever it was, she was such a trooper about it.

The ones we have now though...good god its a trial to get them to take any meds at all. Ugh.

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014
My littler cat is sick, please tell me things are going to be okay. She's throwing up every meal (and making awful crying sounds). Taking her into the vet first thing tomorrow. It's happened once before and they just never figured out what it was -- some appetite pills and anti-nausea injections seemed to do the trick, and nothing wrong showed up on the x-ray. Anyone else have this and figure out what this was? She's a 1-1.5 year old stray turned indoor cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Could be gobbling food down too fast. Stretch out feeding to smaller amounts or use an anti-gobbling dish?

What about food types? did you switch after the last time or is she on the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

Could be gobbling food down too fast. Stretch out feeding to smaller amounts or use an anti-gobbling dish?

What about food types? did you switch after the last time or is she on the same?

We switched a couple of different times, but she eats tentatively and hasn't been able to keep anything down: her usual wet food, sensitive stomach dry food, some unseasoned cooked chicken, etc., all has gotten thrown up in varying small quantities throughout the course of the evening.