Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Doesn't flywheel inertia have something to do with it?

Unless I'm way off here, that shouldn't change the fact that no matter how hard you try, you can't generate more than 1 atmosphere of pressure difference by just pulling a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I misunderstood initially. That makes sense now.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a stock location panel filter fold in on itself on a turbo subaru.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless I'm way off here, that shouldn't change the fact that no matter how hard you try, you can't generate more than 1 atmosphere of pressure difference by just pulling a vacuum.

14.7 psi across that size filter is a lot of force, though. It's about 6"x10". 6 in. * 10 in. * 14.7 pounds/in.^2 = roughly 882 pounds of force on a flimsy little paper and rubber filter. Pneumatics can be a hell of a thing.

Of course, a straight atmospheric-to-vacuum pressure drop isn't likely to happen - but even 1 measly psi of difference is still 60 pounds. It's evenly distributed across the face of the filter, but it's still enough that if there's some tiny weak point where an assembler didn't put on just the right amount of glue, it'll find it and eventually do unpleasant things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not just about the pressure. The sheer VOLUME of air a large diesel is able to magically turn into vacuum, through a comparatively tiny intake tract is what really does the damage.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Also 'fish stories'

Listen at the end him explaining "it sucked it right out of my hand". However upon review of the tape its clear he just panicked, ran and dropped it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M1o2rpO_JY

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Slavvy posted:

It's not just about the pressure. The sheer VOLUME of air a large diesel is able to magically turn into vacuum, through a comparatively tiny intake tract is what really does the damage.

That doesn't change the pressure differential limits placed by the relatively low pressure atmosphere. Slap a phone book on there solidly and it won't get pulled in. Hell, lots of corrugated cardboard has a burst strength above 14.7 psi.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

Hell, lots of corrugated cardboard has a burst strength above 14.7 psi.
And that's when he was fired from SpaceX's program to get the Dragon man-rated.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fire Storm posted:

More like horrible welding failures. Saw this in a magazine, I think Home Machinist:

The article said that he used a buzz box. If he was using regular rods and not just hangers or whatever, what would be the cause of welds this bad?

It was for a home made tortilla press and the welds are probably not critical and may never break, but drat.

Could be a variety of things, probably multiple concurrent fuckups like using a non-ferritic rod at too high a temperature.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

streetlamp posted:

Also 'fish stories'

Listen at the end him explaining "it sucked it right out of my hand". However upon review of the tape its clear he just panicked, ran and dropped it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M1o2rpO_JY

The title of this video should actually be "I wonder why they stopped using this truck 30 years ago".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EightBit posted:

That doesn't change the pressure differential limits placed by the relatively low pressure atmosphere. Slap a phone book on there solidly and it won't get pulled in. Hell, lots of corrugated cardboard has a burst strength above 14.7 psi.

So lets say you're right and a flush placed phonebook can't get sucked into the intake of a semi. What happens instead? Does the 600hp truck engine just stall?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That would be the goal, yes. If it can't get any oxygen to allow the fuel to combust in the cylinders, it's going to make exactly 0hp.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is something I really want to test empirically.

I have the feeling that you're right in a theoretical sense but finding a practical way of instantly blocking the intake without whatever object you're using getting destroyed piecemeal or getting partially sucked in at an awkward angle would be nigh-impossible in the timespan you have between a runaway beginning and the engine blowing up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Slavvy posted:

I have the feeling that you're right in a theoretical sense but finding a practical way of instantly blocking the intake without whatever object you're using getting destroyed piecemeal or getting partially sucked in at an awkward angle would be nigh-impossible in the timespan you have between a runaway beginning and the engine blowing up.

The technique works. This is a 4-53T which is pretty small and two-stroke so I don't think it'll be pulling as hard as a modern diesel would, but he still stopped the thing with what looked like a shingle and his hand. A phone book or similar would have done a much better job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRaqgab0_w&t=80s

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 29, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

So lets say you're right and a flush placed phonebook can't get sucked into the intake of a semi. What happens instead? Does the 600hp truck engine just stall?

It starts sucking the people in through the phone. First Adams, then Allen, then Anderson...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Not saying a piece of cardboard or a phone book would work, but air intake shutoff valves are a thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not saying a piece of cardboard or a phone book would work, but air intake shutoff valves are a thing.

Oh yeah I know, I'm meaning in terms of nearby object into intake.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine borrowed his then father-in-laws Chevy Van 6,2 D. It came with a piece of plywood, about 40x40 cm. To turn off the engine, you removed the hood (inside the cabin, as it is on those), removed the air cleaner and then plopped down the plywood, thus killing the engine. IIRC the plywood plate had some kind of hole in it that fit over some part of the intake that wasn't flat, meaning if you lost that particular plate you couldn't turn it off...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fart Pipe posted:

The title of this video should actually be "I wonder why they stopped using this truck 30 years ago".

Actually it probably didn't do that 30 years ago. Engines with mechanical unit injectors (each injector is its own HP fuel pump, driven by a cam lobe and pushrod of its own) have a rack that runs the length of the engine that controls fuel delivery per injection at each injector, and is attatched to the governor. When your foot asks for some action, the governor pushes the rack out and you get, rather predictably, more fuel. Then when the engine reaches the desired speed the governor's flyweights retract and pull the rack back down. Remember that it doesn't take much fuel to maintain a higher idle speed (and in fact much less fuel per injection, since there's more injections for a given time period at a faster engine speed), it's changing that speed that takes a bunch of fuel because of inertia.
So what happens if the rack has been sitting a while (or was assembled incorrectly, which is where Detroits got most of their reputation for runaways in the first place) is it gets sticky. And it'll tend to stick at a higher delivery rate because it spends less time at the higher rates during normal operation. So when you get a stuck rack at a high rate, your fuel delivery is now controlled by engine speed alone, and because it's throwing the max fuel per injection into the cylinders that's already going up rapidly. The only limit becomes the amount of fuel you can move through a 3/8" fuel line with that 14.7 psi potential maximum pressure differential. Or the ability of the engine to withstand operation at ~10k RPM :unsmigghh:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 29, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Remember also that the engine isn't sucking in air with 600hp. In, say, a turbo engine, the compressor's basically doing all the work, and those only take a small amount of energy to drive, say 15-20 horsepower (extracted from the exhaust, not the engine output, but you get the point). Even on a big Top Fuel motor with a supercharger that has about 500HP powering it, it still cannot create a pressure differential more than atmospheric (14.7psi) to perfect vacuum (0 psi). Multiply that by the area of a filter/phone book/whatever, that gives you the absolute maximum force it can possibly experience, and NOTHING can exceed that.

Engine size/intake diameter have nothing to do with it (vacuum is literally Nothing, how can how have flow restriction on Nothing?)

Now if that engine was powering a compressor and filling a sealed room with outside air, so that the pressure differential from room to intake vacuum was greater, then you might have a point.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Fucknag posted:

Remember also that the engine isn't sucking in air with 600hp. In, say, a turbo engine, the compressor's basically doing all the work, and those only take a small amount of energy to drive, say 15-20 horsepower (extracted from the exhaust, not the engine output, but you get the point). Even on a big Top Fuel motor with a supercharger that has about 500HP powering it, it still cannot create a pressure differential more than atmospheric (14.7psi) to perfect vacuum (0 psi). Multiply that by the area of a filter/phone book/whatever, that gives you the absolute maximum force it can possibly experience, and NOTHING can exceed that.

Engine size/intake diameter have nothing to do with it (vacuum is literally Nothing, how can how have flow restriction on Nothing?)

Now if that engine was powering a compressor and filling a sealed room with outside air, so that the pressure differential from room to intake vacuum was greater, then you might have a point.

From an abstract perspective, isn't that the whole point of boost pressure aside from cramming more O2 into each and every stroke? Delivering air to the engines faster cause now you can have a higher than 15 PSI pressure difference and therefore higher flow rates or am I off base?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

From an abstract perspective, isn't that the whole point of boost pressure aside from cramming more O2 into each and every stroke? Delivering air to the engines faster cause now you can have a higher than 15 PSI pressure difference and therefore higher flow rates or am I off base?

A turbo making 45lbs of boost on the compressed side of the compressor turbine is still pulling vacuum from the intake side. It only has the difference between atmosphere and 0 psi to work with.

Additional pressure on the engine side comes from more air being pulled through and crammed into the intake manifold, not from vacuum below 0 psi. There is literally never more than ~14.7psi of pressure difference between atmosphere and the compressor side of the air filter.

Lots and lots and lots of airflow != pressure. :) Wind is like 0.5 psi max but there are millions of CFM of movement in a gust.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Yeah, and if the the filter was on the compressor outlet, that would be a different story. However, I can pretty much guarantee there's not a car in the world set up like that.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

sofullofhate posted:

A turbo making 45lbs of boost on the compressed side of the compressor turbine is still pulling vacuum from the intake side. It only has the difference between atmosphere and 0 psi to work with.

Additional pressure on the engine side comes from more air being pulled through and crammed into the intake manifold, not from vacuum below 0 psi. There is literally never more than ~14.7psi of pressure difference between atmosphere and the compressor side of the air filter.

Lots and lots and lots of airflow != pressure. :) Wind is like 0.5 psi max but there are millions of CFM of movement in a gust.

I was commenting more on the mechanics of having the added pressure, it would be absolutely stupid to have a filter AFTER any mechanical component on the engine

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Fucknag posted:

Engine size/intake diameter have nothing to do with it

Intake inlet size has everything to do with the total force being applied to an object blocking the intake inlet. Let's stop using the phone book analogy and use an air filter as an example. Let's say the air filter is 6"x8". There are now 48" square inches of air filter. Now let's say the air filter lets through 300 CFM max. If theoretical intake were to draw 600CFM, you have roughly half efficiency. So we are at 7.35PSI on the draw side of the filter, and 14.7PSI on the atmospheric side. There is a total of ~350lbs now trying to suck down that air filter to equalize that 7.35lbs of differential. There is a reason those things are corrugated/reinforced like they are, both to provide strength, and to maximize surface area to pull air through. The differential just needs to be able to overcome the object's strength (phone book no; cereal box/plastic bag/rag/etc Yes..

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dannywilson posted:

Intake inlet size has everything to do with the total force being applied to an object blocking the intake inlet. Let's stop using the phone book analogy and use an air filter as an example. Let's say the air filter is 6"x8". There are now 48" square inches of air filter. Now let's say the air filter lets through 300 CFM max. If theoretical intake were to draw 600CFM, you have roughly half efficiency. So we are at 7.35PSI on the draw side of the filter, and 14.7PSI on the atmospheric side. There is a total of ~350lbs now trying to suck down that air filter to equalize that 7.35lbs of differential. There is a reason those things are corrugated/reinforced like they are, both to provide strength, and to maximize surface area to pull air through. The differential just needs to be able to overcome the object's strength (phone book no; cereal box/plastic bag/rag/etc Yes..

Sorry, I meant the size of the charge pipe, not the area of the filter itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

My boss had an ancient holden with a 3 speed traumatic. It had a vacuum valve thingy for kickdowns. I remember that a common modification to them was to make the (very tiny) hole in the valve port larger, either by drilling or buying an aftermarket valve. I don't understand how a bigger hole would change the behaviour of the transmission (and it most certainly did!) if there's nothing to restrict.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Slavvy posted:

My boss had an ancient holden with a 3 speed traumatic. It had a vacuum valve thingy for kickdowns. I remember that a common modification to them was to make the (very tiny) hole in the valve port larger, either by drilling or buying an aftermarket valve. I don't understand how a bigger hole would change the behaviour of the transmission (and it most certainly did!) if there's nothing to restrict.

My Ford's 44 year old C4 has a vacuum line attached for shift points. At atmospheric, it will never shift up (I haven't tried the extent of this), but as vacuum (RPM) increases it activates each shift circuit. It redlines at about 6k, but with "proper" vacuum it shifts at about 2.5k. If I wanted to raise the shift points, I could decrease the amount of vacuum it's getting by introducing a pinhole, thus getting it to shift father into each gear (higher rpm per gear).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but you're reducing the vacuum in that scenario. In my boss' car the diameter of the restricter on the vacuum line itself was made bigger. The amount of vacuum the engine punched out was the same, it was just 'flowing' through a larger hole.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but you're reducing the vacuum in that scenario. In my boss' car the diameter of the restricter on the vacuum line itself was made bigger. The amount of vacuum the engine punched out was the same, it was just 'flowing' through a larger hole.

I'd imagine it allows for a faster slew rate. The engine only makes so much vacuum, but it's acting on a bunch of different things. Power brakes, vacuum advance, kick down, actually pulling the air into the cylinders. By widening the orifice it seems like you'd be able to change the absolute pressure on the transmission side of the orifice faster. Maybe? I'm not great with physics.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
If he hole is small enough and the pressure difference great enough you could create a choked flow scenario which would delay how long it will take before the transmission sees a significant pressure change. Putting Ina larger orifice would remove he choke condition and make it repairs faster.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But why? What flow? Vacuum, as stated above, doesn't 'flow' so changing the size of the hole shouldn't make a difference. It's emptyness, it doesn't care how big the hole is. Changing the size of the atmospheric air entry hole on the other side of the diaphragm would certainly make a difference, as would changing the area of the diaphragm itself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dannywilson posted:

My Ford's 44 year old C4 has a vacuum line attached for shift points. At atmospheric, it will never shift up (I haven't tried the extent of this),

The C6 in my 1980 Ford would upshift eventually with the vacuum line disconnected, but it would only upshift right at redline. And it shifted hard.

I eventually wound up disconnecting the vacuum line and shifting it manually for the last year or so I had it, because it slipped really bad on the 2 -> 3 shift otherwise.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

But why? What flow? Vacuum, as stated above, doesn't 'flow' so changing the size of the hole shouldn't make a difference. It's emptyness, it doesn't care how big the hole is. Changing the size of the atmospheric air entry hole on the other side of the diaphragm would certainly make a difference, as would changing the area of the diaphragm itself.

Because when you change throttle position, your manifold vacuum changes dramatically. Going from atmospheric pressure (WOT) to 10 inches of mercury (half throttle) is going to require that some air move through that orifice. The size of the orifice will govern how fast that can happen.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Slavvy posted:

Raluek posted:

Because when you change throttle position, your manifold vacuum changes dramatically. Going from atmospheric pressure (WOT) to 10 inches of mercury (half throttle) is going to require that some air move through that orifice. The size of the orifice will govern how fast that can happen.

This, basically. There is still some air in there, and as pressure in the manifold changes, there's a small flow as pressure equalizes. Larger hole == faster equalization.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Talking of run away diesel motors, I work in the underground coal industry and all our underground diesel vehicles are fitted with pneumatic operated 'strangler' valves which is simply a spring loaded flap that is hooked to an e-stop that will choke the engine in a heart beat.

Sometimes it causes engine damage too as it's been known to suck water back through the exhaust from the wet scrubbers we run (we don't want raw exhaust going into a potentially explosive atmosphere) .

Anyway the reason we run these is because some years ago, a transport was driven into an underground area with high methane present the machine was shutdown however the diesel engine failed to shut down due to the 'right' amount of methane present in the atmosphere and kept on chugging away and thus a very loving dangerous situation occurred. After that it became part of the mining regs to have stranglers fitted : )

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Runaway diesels are the best when they're running on their own lube oil.

:stonklol:

Some can run backwards, too! The LDS-465 in a deuce and a half will very happily stall, and then start back up, running backwards, if you're not Johnny-on-the-spot clutching in when you start to roll backwards.

Everything works fine, running backwards. Except the oil pump. That doesn't turn.

:v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The first sign of that happening is usually the lack of exhaust from the stack, exhaust coming out the intake, and the fact that you have five reverse gears and only one forward. Very strange.

I've not done it to mine, but I've heard of it. apparently the LDS-465 / LDT-465 runs so little injection advance/retard that it injects basically at TDC, making this possible.

E: the oil pump does turn... just backwards. So it pumps the oil away from the bearings and back into the sump. REALLY NOT GOOD.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had to choke out my two stroke YDS3 one time. Luckily it was on the stand at the time and the carbs were exposed so I just used my arm to block off the carbs.

The sound was terrifying :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wolrah posted:

The technique works. This is a 4-53T which is pretty small and two-stroke so I don't think it'll be pulling as hard as a modern diesel would, but he still stopped the thing with what looked like a shingle and his hand. A phone book or similar would have done a much better job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRaqgab0_w&t=80s

related vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WDwsdH_A0

@2:30 is the best. lack of fire extinguishers and a crowd of spectators ready to catch the flaming car as it rolls back down the hillclimb at them.
@3:40 is just :kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 29, 2015