Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

“The inventory database on DTO was more or less open for queries”

Tale old as time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeah I mean on one hand, I'm not happy with Jehoshaphat Research trying to make their name by ruining a good thing (The report is obviously to drive shareholders on the board to demand action, since there's no way Home Depot corporate wasn't aware of what was an open secret by this point). On the other hand, DTO made it too easy to narc on them. If they leave everything naked for inspection they have themselves to blame :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jenkl posted:

My gut says there's gotta be cheaper ways to achieve this effect, but I've not actually been able to identify one (oh wait, I think Mo just posted one).

Can you cut outside? Edit: you are the yeti of course you can!

If it wasn't for the foil, the goon could probably use a hot wire.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah I mean on one hand, I'm not happy with Jehoshaphat Research trying to make their name by ruining a good thing (The report is obviously to drive shareholders on the board to demand action, since there's no way Home Depot corporate wasn't aware of what was an open secret by this point). On the other hand, DTO made it too easy to narc on them. If they leave everything naked for inspection they have themselves to blame :v:

The strange part is that hasn't changed any of their practices for Ryobi. But in the end, I still miss the cheap Ridgid gravy train.

Are stores still stocked with Ridgid items, or are they just as dried up there too? With Home Depo continuing to run hackable tool deals they have to still have some sort of outlet for returns.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Didn't Ridgid have a lifetime warranty on something? Either batteries or tools?
Wonder how that will work out in the long run.

A few years ago my dad, brothers and I got my nephew a Milwaukee drill and impact driver set and he was using it at his school/work placement but the batteries (1.5 or 2.0 ah) kept dying because he was using them doing production work so he switched to Ridgid because that's what everyone else was using and he could borrow batteries when needed. Hope he kept the Milwaukee stuff.

Though it'll probably be a while before the Ridgid stuff craps out.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Hey thread, what's a decent laser level that:
- Projects a cross pattern
- Can still self-level when it's mounted and pointed at an angle (ie, if I had it on a tabletop pointed above a window, it would project a level line)
- Can also project a non-level cross (if desired) when it's tilted
- Is no more than $50-$100, ideally on the lower end

I bought a $50ish Bosch laser level that only does 1.5 of those, so I'm looking to return it and get something better ASAP

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

wesleywillis posted:

A few years ago my dad, brothers and I got my nephew a Milwaukee drill and impact driver set and he was using it at his school/work placement but the batteries (1.5 or 2.0 ah) kept dying because he was using them doing production work so he switched to Ridgid because that's what everyone else was using and he could borrow batteries when needed. Hope he kept the Milwaukee stuff.

Though it'll probably be a while before the Ridgid stuff craps out.

Pretty sure that one of the big selling points of Ridgid is that it comes with lifetime warranties. Though they are a bit annoying. You have to register them right away, they aren't transferable, and I've heard a lot of horror stories about the service taking ages due to lack of parts availability. I think you do have to take it in to their repair place, it's not just a matter of taking it in to HD and exchanging it as far as I know. Not to mention I've heard the repair places are few and far between depending where you are located.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 19, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

- Can also project a non-level cross (if desired) when it's tilted

I've never seen such a thing unless the device was broken. Especially on the low end. These things are made to swing their mirrors level in a few degree arc using gravity. Sweet and simple. There's no way for them to do this without more parts and it's not a thing very many people would want.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Motronic posted:

I've never seen such a thing unless the device was broken. Especially on the low end. These things are made to swing their mirrors level in a few degree arc using gravity. Sweet and simple. There's no way for them to do this without more parts and it's not a thing very many people would want.
I've seen some that have a "lock the beam" option that's user-activated. The Bosch one I bought sorta does this, but it also blinks to let you know when it isn't level, so essentially you're stuck working with a blinking cross if you tilt it laterally. It's also very hard to get it to self-outside of a narrow tolerance, so the blinking beam is very common. It's very annoying to use and it's why I'm returning it.

This is also the least important feature from my list. I'd really like to be able to mount it in a table or something at a normal height, point it near the ceiling (I'm hanging a lot of curtains...), get a level beam, and not have that be too much of a hassle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

I've seen some that have a "lock the beam" option that's user-activated. The Bosch one I bought sorta does this, but it also blinks to let you know when it isn't level, so essentially you're stuck working with a blinking cross if you tilt it laterally. It's also very hard to get it to self-outside of a narrow tolerance, so the blinking beam is very common. It's very annoying to use and it's why I'm returning it.
hanging a lot of curtains...), get a level beam, and not have that be too much of a hassle.

That's not a feature. It's a travel lock and the flashing is telling you it's not level. The narrow tolerance is because it's a cheap laser. They will all have a very narrow self adjustability range at this price point.

Zugzwang posted:

This is also the least important feature from my list. I'd really like to be able to mount it in a table or something at a normal height, point it near the ceiling (I'm hanging a lot of curtains...), get a level beam, and not have that be too much of a hassle.

That's not how these devices are intended to be used. I suggest you pick up a cheap tripod and use the device as designed.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Does your Bosch have a magnet back or base clip? You can mount it clipped to something temporary or another curtain rod hanger somewhere at that height.

You can also use an offset, like set the laser a few inches down and measure up, if you have a cabinet top or something to put it on around.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

- Can still self-level when it's mounted and pointed at an angle (ie, if I had it on a tabletop pointed above a window, it would project a level line)

This would only work if the machine could be reliably oriented with its vertical plane exactly perpendicular to the wall.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bob Mundon posted:

Are stores still stocked with Ridgid items, or are they just as dried up there too? With Home Depo continuing to run hackable tool deals they have to still have some sort of outlet for returns.
They mostly removed the factory blem stuff since, y'know, the factory blems were actually brand new tools and not blem at all. The factory reconditioned stuff... I don't think was removed, or may have been. If you take a look you can see there's more stuff available for store pickup and a lot more stuff available as factory reconditioned. Initially after the report all factory blem ridgid stuff was removed, but you can still see more blems now so maybe they're slowly adding them back.

I don't really understand the response all that much other than initially (since the report talked about Ridgid, not Ryobi as much) they removed all the factory blem Ryobi stuff. And of course the Ridgid tools are still selling strong in Home Depot afaik.

wesleywillis posted:

It's the main selling point. I've heard a lot of mixed stories; some people have great experiences; other people it can take forever. Either way if you take advantage of their Lifetime Service Agreement you'll be in for a long wait.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Alright, thanks goons. Seems I was looking for the impossible at this price point.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Aw poo poo. I think I misunderstood a post or two. I thought Ridgid was discontinuing their power tools.

Or at least their drills, impacts etc.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

withak posted:

This would only work if the machine could be reliably oriented with its vertical plane exactly perpendicular to the wall.

Even then it wouldn’t work if the wall was curved or uneven.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

BeAuMaN posted:

It's the main selling point. I've heard a lot of mixed stories; some people have great experiences; other people it can take forever. Either way if you take advantage of their Lifetime Service Agreement you'll be in for a long wait.

I have a rigid table saw. 5 year warranty, lifetime has to be activated after you register. I did that over a year ago and just never heard back. Don't use the thing enough to cause a stir.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

They mostly removed the factory blem stuff since, y'know, the factory blems were actually brand new tools and not blem at all. The factory reconditioned stuff... I don't think was removed, or may have been. If you take a look you can see there's more stuff available for store pickup and a lot more stuff available as factory reconditioned. Initially after the report all factory blem ridgid stuff was removed, but you can still see more blems now so maybe they're slowly adding them back.

I don't really understand the response all that much other than initially (since the report talked about Ridgid, not Ryobi as much) they removed all the factory blem Ryobi stuff. And of course the Ridgid tools are still selling strong in Home Depot afaik.

They took down a TON of in store pickups for Ridgid too. Now both pickup and delivery items are a fraction of what it used to be, before it used to be about the same as Ryobi to give you an idea. What I'm wondering is if the stores are still stocked, despite what the website says. They took down a ton of recon tools too, so absolutely not just blems. It's a veritable desert no matter how to you slice it compared to the before times.

As a habitual Ridgid DTO abuser I'm hoping in store is still selling the items they used to and just not listing it online. If not I'd be very confused where all the returns are going.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I want a router. But which?
  • I don't want to spend more than £150
  • Needs to be available within the UK
  • I'm not bothered about it being cordless, though I have Makita batteries - I looked at the routers that use them but they start at like £160 anyway
  • I intend to use it on a sled for flattening stuff, and separately for rounding edges
  • I really want one with some sort of dust collection attachment, I have an extractor
I've never owned one before so don't know what I'd be looking for. Are these requirements reasonable?

I recently picked up a Makita XTR01Z and separate plunge base, which I'm pretty sure is the same as the DRT50Z that Mustache Ride linked but with a different sku for the North America region. I've only used it on a few projects thus far, but honestly, I'm really quite impressed with it.

For starters, it includes an adapter for 3/8" bits. No 1/2" bits, but you'd want a much more powerful router for that, and 1/2" bits are accordingly more expensive. For my weekend projects 3/8" has been more than adequate for rabbeting, dados, and rounding stuff like oak and plywood. Hell, recently I was recycling some old 1/2" plywood shelves into an undermount sliding drawer, and as I was cutting the rabbet for the sides with a 1/4" bit, I started seeing sparks fly from a small brad nail I hadn't realized was in there. The cordless router and cheap Ryobi bit I was using had perfectly bevelled the nail flush with the cut, and surprisingly the carbide edge on the bit doesn't seem to have been damaged and finished the project without any issues.

I really quite like the Makita 18v router more than my old corded 2HP craftsman router that burned out, as well as the Hitachi router that replaced it. Both can accommodate 1/2" bits, but struggle to run cheap moulding bits in my experience. But for something like that I'd rather have a router table instead of a handheld mounted up underneath a portable table. I don't see a direct HP comparison, but the Makita is 10,000-30,000 RPM, whereas the older brushed craftsman router was only 10,000 - 25,000 RPM.

Honestly, one of the best things you can do with routers is to buy the nicest bits you can as you need them for a specific project, but I've also had good luck with an assortment of Ryobi bits I picked up on a holiday sale. I don't expect them to last all that long, but at least I'll have the shapes I need as I upgrade them onesy twosy over time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Was having a lovely day at work so on my lunch break... went and bought myself a bench vise :getin:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

Was having a lovely day at work so on my lunch break... went and bought myself a bench vise :getin:

very nice. Pic?

This is what made me go :aaaaa: today. If you're not familiar with Vernier calipers and you hate (disposable) batteries as much as I do, this might make your day and possibly cost you an actually small number of dollars, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgGpwP0JsZk

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

very nice. Pic?

Just a basic rotating bench vise but I'm pumpedddddd

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Easily one of the most used and under appreciated tools in a garage

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Verman posted:

Easily one of the most used and under appreciated tools in a garage

Up there with having a solid workbench.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't even bolted it to my workbench and I've used it 4 times already just last night lol :getin:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I bolted mine to a piece of 3/4" plywood that I could then clamp to the workbench so it wasn't always in the way.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I bolted mine to a piece of 3/4" plywood that I could then clamp to the workbench so it wasn't always in the way.

Holy poo poo that's genius and I'm 100% gonna copy your idea!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

I welded some nuts to the welding table and embedded nuts on the wood workbench, 15 seconds with power tools and the vise is mounted or unmounted. Next trick is to make a storage location for the vises so I stop tripping over them

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

99.99% of the time it just stays there, but I also mounted my bench grinder to the same size plate and can swap them out easily with wing nuts on the bottom.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I gotta figure out something like that for the bench grinder my father in law got me last May that's still sitting in the box. I think I kept telling myself I was gonna build a fancy cart with a flip top for my planer and grinder. But I think just storing them on the bottom shelves of my rolling work tables and bolting or clamping them to my table top when needed is probably sufficient.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

I welded some nuts to the welding table and embedded nuts on the wood workbench, 15 seconds with power tools and the vise is mounted or unmounted. Next trick is to make a storage location for the vises so I stop tripping over them

Ooh this is what I thought of initially, care to post a photo of your embedded nuts?

Tool thread: post a photo of your embedded nuts :allears:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Another Delta table saw clearance alert. Good luck anyone hunting for one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Contractor-Saws-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That's a very good saw for $250.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
If you can land it. Haven't been able to find a store listing it at that price online unlike previous deals. Also based on the last time it went in same the closed the loophole where you could change the store in your cart and keep the discounted price.

But, it's also $100 than the previous deals so if you can land it deal of the century.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

If you can land it. Haven't been able to find a store listing it at that price online unlike previous deals. Also based on the last time it went in same the closed the loophole where you could change the store in your cart and keep the discounted price.

But, it's also $100 than the previous deals so if you can land it deal of the century.

SD listing says you gotta go to the store to see the price online price is retail.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Johnny Truant posted:

Ooh this is what I thought of initially, care to post a photo of your embedded nuts?

Tool thread: post a photo of your embedded nuts :allears:

I'll try and get a pic later but I used these or something close on the wood bench tops, alternatively you can weld some nuts to a piece of plate to screw to the bottom of the bench top.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/nuts/threaded-inserts-2~/split-resistant-tee-nut-inserts-for-hardwood/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That's almost worth driving to my store to see if they have it. I imagine not though, my store numbers are like 800 more than that one which I imagine puts me on the wrong coast.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

I'll try and get a pic later but I used these or something close on the wood bench tops, alternatively you can weld some nuts to a piece of plate to screw to the bottom of the bench top.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/nuts/threaded-inserts-2~/split-resistant-tee-nut-inserts-for-hardwood/

Nice! Those fasteners were the most frequent return on my searches, so that seems like a good thing.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

That's almost worth driving to my store to see if they have it. I imagine not though, my store numbers are like 800 more than that one which I imagine puts me on the wrong coast.

Availability is still listed online, just not price at least in some cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

The oil-free polesaw + baby chainsaw combo I never shut up about is $109.99 + $15 shipping, which I believe is the lowest historical price:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310

Buncha stuff was 50% off earlier; right now select items are "up to 80% off". Kinda meh selection but might be something someone is looking for.
check darn.tools for price histories
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?specials=%27specials.lvl0%27%3A%27DirectToolsEventOne%27

Polisher is a good price at $63 w/ battery
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PBF100K

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 25, 2023