Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

CPL593H posted:

Yes, I know. But those are a very specific tape, the tape decks with Dolby S are fairly uncommon and the record labels usually put commercially released music on lower quality tapes.

Hey, man, I got my dolbyS deck in good condition for 40 bucks and couple metal new old stock tapes for 15 bucks sealed. Don't let those Nakamichi prices on Ebay fool you. I honestly think it's easy to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Hey, man, I got my dolbyS deck in good condition for 40 bucks and couple metal new old stock tapes for 15 bucks sealed. Don't let those Nakamichi prices on Ebay fool you. I honestly think it's easy to get into.

I already have enough old poo poo hanging around, I really don't need another thing that I do.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Picked up a stack of about 35 records off a Craigslist add for cheap since I saw some good stuff in the pictures. Here were a few ones I was stoked on, but there was a lot of good stuff and the records were all in great condition, minor scuffs at most and some looked like they hadn't been played more than once.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 30, 2018

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found the 7" from Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life at Goodwill for 25 cents, now my copy is complete!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I can't for the life of me think of a reason why someone selling crates of records for really cheap would flat out refuse to describe what is in the crates or let you look through them. You are obviously trying to get rid of them selling them for about 50 cents each, why wouldn't you give people more information to help make the sale? I can't imagine you find many people willing to drop $50 on what is essentially a mystery box.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My only guess is someone who a) wants the records gone, b) doesn't know anything about records apart from the fact that people pay good money for them, and c) doesn't want somebody going "yeah, I just want these three, will you take two bucks for them?"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

My only guess is someone who a) wants the records gone, b) doesn't know anything about records apart from the fact that people pay good money for them, and c) doesn't want somebody going "yeah, I just want these three, will you take two bucks for them?"

All great reasons

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

hexwren posted:

A) If you want the records gone, not letting anyone see them before buying seems like an awful way to do this. Sure, maybe if I know what's in the crates I won't want them, but I absolutely don't want them if I have no idea what I am getting.
B) You don't have to know anything about records to read a few titles/artists and list them
C) I have seen plenty of people put in their add "Selling whole collection, not individually" to accomplish this.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this listing has been up for a couple weeks and he hasn't sold a single crate at this point.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 31, 2018

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Boinks posted:

You need to manually balance the tone arm. Turn the counter weight until the tonearm is pointing upward then slowly turn it back until it is perpendicular? Is that the right term? To the platter.

Now it should be at 0 grams, you might have a 2nd dial that you can set to 0. Now turn the weight to the suggested weight for your cartridge. Set anti skate to about the same, I if the weight is 2g set it to 2.

The needle I ordered came in the mail today. I snapped it in place and no more skipping. I am very pleased at the moment and can't wait to start getting new vinyl.

It seems very special in a way.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Wizgot posted:

The needle I ordered came in the mail today. I snapped it in place and no more skipping. I am very pleased at the moment and can't wait to start getting new vinyl.

It seems very special in a way.

I forgot to mention that I wanted to order a reissue of Mort Garson's Plantasia but I've heard that the new records are bootlegs and are of poor quality. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hell yeah, found a very nice copy of Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove with the 7" EP for $20.

Anyone want my old beater G+/G+ copy for cheap? It has surface noise during the quiet parts and a few spots where it ticks for a few rotations. Still a listenable copy though. Cover has a saw mark, blown out spine and small tear or scuff on the front. no 7".

I'll upload pics here:
:nws:https://imgur.com/a/pL37vf8

I just want $5 shipped with tracking, US only of course.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Boinks posted:

Hell yeah, found a very nice copy of Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove with the 7" EP for $20.

Anyone want my old beater G+/G+ copy for cheap? It has surface noise during the quiet parts and a few spots where it ticks for a few rotations. Still a listenable copy though. Cover has a saw mark, blown out spine and small tear or scuff on the front. no 7".

I'll upload pics here:
:nws:https://imgur.com/a/pL37vf8

I just want $5 shipped with tracking, US only of course.

Awesome find! I'd love to take the old one off your hands, my favorite funk album and I shamefully don't own a copy.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Awesome find! I'd love to take the old one off your hands, my favorite funk album and I shamefully don't own a copy.

Great, I'm glad I could get it to someone here, I just sent you a PM.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

A buddy of mine sent me an email letting me know about a huge vinyl record sale yesterday so I woke my rear end up at 7am on a Saturday to get there. I was maybe the second person there and walked into the seller's backyard where there were at least 20 boxes of LP's, all being sold for $2/each. The quality was mostly VG or better, with some really popular records dipping into the G's. Needless to say, I was able to fill a ton of gaps in my collection of funk, soul, and jazz (among a few other genres) and ended up with a little over 100 records. The seller even gave me a pretty big discount since I purchased a good amount, so I ended up paying closer to $1.50 a record. Here are some of the ones I was really excited about finding so cheap:

Spirit - Feedback
Roy Ayers - Love Fantasy
Richard "Groove" Holmes - Super Soul
Steel Pulse - Reggae Fever
Johnny Guitar Watson - Love Jones
Four Tops - Keeper of the Castle
Four Tops - Tonight
Jay & The Techniques - Apples, Peaches, and Pumpkin Pie
Miles Davis - Four And More (Live)
Rufus - Party Till You're Broke
The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy
The O'Jays - Backstabbers
Average White Band - Cut The Cake
Bloodstone - I Need Time
Linda Clifford & Curtis Mayfield - The Right Combination
Curtis Mayfield - Love Is The Place
The Isley Brothers - Givin' It Back

I re-organized my shelf for LP's with this latest haul and its a little nuts that I have filled the whole thing so quickly. Guess it's time for a second one! The boxes in the picture below are filled with 45s because I haven't found a good shelving solution for them yet. If anyone has recommendations on a good solution for 45s that is similar or would compliment my LP shelf, that would be awesome. One idea I had was to get the same shelf and create little inserts for the cubbies, built to hold two rows of 45's each. That would look pretty clean, and would allow me to pull out the insert to flip through the 45's. My grandpa has a woodshop in his garage so I have access to all of the tools I would need, but obviously if there is something out there that would work just as well, I'd rather not build them myself.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 3, 2018

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

MrSargent posted:

One idea I had was to get the same shelf and create little inserts for the cubbies, built to hold two rows of 45's each. That would look pretty clean, and would allow me to pull out the insert to flip through the 45's.

Double check your shelf before you make anything, the standard expedit can't fit two 45s side-by-side.

I kept my 45s in bags unlimited long boxes and a pelican flight case for stuff I would DJ with: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/280/45-rpm-record-storage-boxes

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Sweet vhs tapes dude did you get a sweet deal on them

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a Renaldo & Clara vhs I keep around even though it’s the worst quality bootleg I’ve ever seen or heard. And I paid too much for it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Many years ago I introduced myself to this thread with the following post...

Ballz posted:

Shortly before she passed away, my mother-in-law gave my wife and I her sizable vinyl collection, dating mostly from the late 1960s to early 80s. They're not in great condition or anything, but the records for the most part have held up pretty well. Probably the most valuable of the lot is an original flame-filled copy of Skynard's Street Survivors and a copy of the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers, with fully working zipper. Both are now framed and hanging on my wall.

I only have three 7-inches from her collection with me, but I thought I'd show them off. They all are from 1979.

The Records were (are?) a pretty generic Euro power pop band. This is their first single, and also probably their greatest hit. They remind me of Jefferson Starship. Pretty meh, overall.

The Nuns were a punk band from the late 70s/early 80s. This single predates their debut album by about a year. When I first saw it I thought "Hey, that 'S' at the end looks halfway like a swastika." Then I saw the first track is titled "Decadent Jew." Whoops, I think I just accidentally discovered a dark secret about my mother-in-law. :godwin:

The third one is a local (Richmond, VA) garage band called Barriers, and honestly, this is the most interesting of the three. I think this is their only release, but naturally, there isn't much info about this band online (although one of the guys from Gwar gave this record a shout-out in a recent Times-Dispatch article). It sounds kind of like prog rock imo, and it's quite good. My mother-in-law probably knew the band members.

The Barriers EP is a 33, while the other two are 45s.

I've always been fascinated with the Barriers record in particular, which was the band's only release circa 1979. Anyways flash forward to last week when I found myself in Richmond, where I went and hit up one of the local record stores to find this:

A relatively new/bootlegged entry to the "Bloodstains across RANDOM GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION" series of punk compilations. Happy to see Barriers getting some representation on there. Here's a link to Stagnate, if you're curious.

Also if you find yourself in RVA, I can confirm that Steady Sounds indeed has a copy of Gençlik İle Elele. :grin:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 3, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That Nuns 7" is one of the best singles ever pressed

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

JehovahsWetness posted:

Double check your shelf before you make anything, the standard expedit can't fit two 45s side-by-side.

I kept my 45s in bags unlimited long boxes and a pelican flight case for stuff I would DJ with: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/280/45-rpm-record-storage-boxes

Yah the cubbies aren't wide enough for side by side, but they are deep enough to do one row in front of the other. I checked out that link though and the file cabinet system looks perfect, definitely going to look into that.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Sweet vhs tapes dude did you get a sweet deal on them

Lol, I deserved that. I have been listening to a lot of MF Doom and Madlib lately and they have gotten some really cool samples/sounds from movies and TV Shows. I thought I would experiment with it a bit so I grabbed a bunch of them and a player from my mother in law's house. It's actually been a lot of fun.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

They just released the Prince version of Nothing Compares 2 U as a single. I picked that up today and it sounds great.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't realize this was happening. My local has some copies and I'm going to pick one up on the way home today.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Received my replacement copy of Donald Austin - Crazy Legs from LITA today as well as my Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull. Both arrived in great condition. Both Southern Lord and LITA have top notch customer service.

Also this showed up in my feed today.

https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/mobile/index/1710830?utm_medium=ampOfficialEvent&utm_source=fbTfly

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

This past weekend I took a trip to Austin, TX where I stumbled into Waterloo and spent too much money, it was my first record store trip to buy vinyl as I just bought a turntable two weeks ago.

Picked up a used copy of the Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile Remaster, Survive - HD015, and Thom Yorke - The Eraser for $80

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
You spin me right round, baby, right round like a record, baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DTjpde9-0

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got the new Tremonti

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's some poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was going to make a joke about how for that price someone ought to come out of the box and suck your dick and then I noticed that one of the companies involved is Real Doll, so maybe it's possible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I was going to make a joke about how for that price someone ought to come out of the box and suck your dick and then I noticed that one of the companies involved is Real Doll, so maybe it's possible.

quote:

We will NOT tell you what it is. Maybe it’s what you’re thinking… maybe not.

I hope not.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Boinks posted:

Great, I'm glad I could get it to someone here, I just sent you a PM.

This showed up yesterday, thanks again! Gotta confess I threw the surprise bonus Ludacris on first :350:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
If any of you are into Chromatics or the other johnny jewel projects, their label webstore has replenished their stocks.

https://italiansdoitbetter.com/vinyl/

That Camera EP is lp exclusive too.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What’s the difference between my $179 turntable and one that is $6k?

(I say $6k because that’s the most expensive one I saw at the store I was at.)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

This showed up yesterday, thanks again! Gotta confess I threw the surprise bonus Ludacris on first :350:

Half a Ludacris! I gave up trying to complete it. I was going to toss it back to Goodwill, glad you liked it haha

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

boop the snoot posted:

about 5800 dollars

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Only $6k? That’s child’s play compared to this...whatever the gently caress this is.

https://www.thecableco.com/invictus.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6v7UpqvA2wIVTgOGCh2VcgicEAQYBiABEgK33_D_BwE

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

The amount of smug superiority you're allowed to have over other people who only listen to music on iPods.

MrSargent posted:

Only $6k? That’s child’s play compared to this...whatever the gently caress this is.

https://www.thecableco.com/invictus.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6v7UpqvA2wIVTgOGCh2VcgicEAQYBiABEgK33_D_BwE

Pffft, the stock cart on that thing is loving garbage. You might as well buy a Crosley. I upgraded mine with this:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/84470/Koetsu-Rhodonite_Cartridge_with_Diamond_Cantilever_Upgrade-Low_Output_Cartridges

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 7, 2018

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
What the actual gently caress

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if I had that kinda stupid money, I'd totally drop 18k on that cart tho. no lies. :smuggo:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

The amount of smug superiority you're allowed to have over other people who only listen to music on iPods.

Pffft, the stock cart on that thing is loving garbage. You might as well buy a Crosley. I upgraded mine with this:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/84470/Koetsu-Rhodonite_Cartridge_with_Diamond_Cantilever_Upgrade-Low_Output_Cartridges

I assumed that went without saying...

Lol, this is so ridiculous.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Picked up a stack of 70 records that was filled with a bunch dad-rock for real cheap, which sells pretty well in this area. I went to my local record store and traded the lot of them for a couple Jazz records and about 20+ 12" hip-hop promo singles that included some Phife Dawg, Def Squad, Mos Def, Rick Ross, and Black Thought. The singles alone are worth more than what I paid for the dad rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

dorium posted:

if I had that kinda stupid money, I'd totally drop 18k on that cart tho. no lies. :smuggo:

David Mancuso played on Koetsus for decades, I can’t think of a better endorsement for a brand (even though it’s pointless since I will never have that kind of money)