Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the compoorter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, IMO it's legit (and the KS is publicity not funding)

isn't a lot of the trouble with these sorts of "and everyone gets a computer!" projects that everyone wants a Windows computer because that's what the world uses and that's what can help you get a job? and that we've been dumping our e-waste overseas so used computers are fairly cheap?

i mean on newegg for $130 i can get a refurbished Core 2 duo Dell or Lenovo laptop running a legit copy of Win 7. that's really hard to compete with.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

this is a miscarriage of a kickstarter

abort! abort!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
also does tim B^uckley really have a loving kid, or is that kid for...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
the joke is that he sent a picture of his penis to an underage girl and is a pedophile

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Migishu posted:

the joke is that he sent a picture of his penis to an underage girl and is a pedophile

wait for real? my knowledge of B^u is mostly loss.jpg :stare:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BeOSPOS posted:

wait for real? my knowledge of B^u is mostly loss.jpg :stare:

pretend I linked to his ED article

yes, yes he did

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
webcomic kickstarter

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

i like this

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

isn't a lot of the trouble with these sorts of "and everyone gets a computer!" projects that everyone wants a Windows computer because that's what the world uses and that's what can help you get a job? and that we've been dumping our e-waste overseas so used computers are fairly cheap?

i mean on newegg for $130 i can get a refurbished Core 2 duo Dell or Lenovo laptop running a legit copy of Win 7. that's really hard to compete with.

actually, no? nobody sells actual legit computers, except for "computer stores", which target the "20 ghz, 500gb" beep boop specs market that died out here in the 90s, which of course everybody is legit scared of.

big box / retail stores don't sell them. and that's where most people shop.

computers are actually more expensive in our target markets than over here. all the computers and laptops we found find were at a minimum $500.

of course nobody shops online. they have smartphones but our target market doesn't have data plans, except for maybe one day a week, and everybody we talked to is legit scared of online shopping the way everybody here was in 1999.

there really isn't any familiarity to windows, outside of business places where the biggest piece of importance is "does it run office", and we're contracting collabora to improve document compatibility in libreoffice. i know it will never be perfect, though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

interesting. olpc having to resort to air dropping their shittops so that they couldn't refuse them colored my perceptions a bit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
olpc sold lovely computers meant to evangelize linux and a python console. nobody here would use them because it's not a computer you can use, it's just a craptop.

we use our os all day. lots of employees, including our ceo, have it as their primary os now.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

can we download the os

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
yes but can it run

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

interesting. olpc having to resort to air dropping their shittops so that they couldn't refuse them colored my perceptions a bit.

the whole thing with olpc was not only that it wasn't windows, but it also wasnt any form of common linux at all.

with this project like at least its running on fedora which has a decent amount of users and workign with it isn't full of one-offs like the olpc's system

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

olpc sold lovely computers meant to evangelize linux and a python console. nobody here would use them because it's not a computer you can use, it's just a craptop.

we use our os all day. lots of employees, including our ceo, have it as their primary os now.

so does the templeos guy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

the whole thing with olpc was not only that it wasn't windows, but it also wasnt any form of common linux at all.

with this project like at least its running on fedora which has a decent amount of users and workign with it isn't full of one-offs like the olpc's system

it's not running on fedora. i have no idea where people got this from.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's not running on fedora. i have no idea where people got this from.

it's the perfect shape to be a hat rack for one :confused:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a computer that works without internet access is a legitimately good idea imo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

As a Millennial I posted:

can we download the os

eventually. i, of course, know the secret s3 url.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

As a Millennial I posted:

a computer that works without internet access is a legitimately good idea imo

yeah having the archived copy of wikipedia is cool

how does that exactly work?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Valeyard posted:

yeah having the archived copy of wikipedia is cool

how does that exactly work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
it's actually a lot more complicated than that. we don't use the database dumps since mediawiki markup is flat out impossible to parse.

the html is a lot easier for us. we use wikipedia's api to fetch articles, and we do lots of transformations on it right now.

same with our other sources (wikisource / wikibooks / wikihow)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

computers are actually more expensive in our target markets than over here. all the computers and laptops we found find were at a minimum $500.

how are you going to beat those cost structures?

poo poo is $500 for a reason. e.g. argentina's import tariffs

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
one option is to manufacture in the market itself.

brazil and argentenia has ridiculous import taxes, and we're actually looking at partnering with positivo to manufacture and assemble latin american devices in there.

as for bom price itself, we're working on lower-end products with lower price points.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's actually a lot more complicated than that. we don't use the database dumps since mediawiki markup is flat out impossible to parse.

the html is a lot easier for us. we use wikipedia's api to fetch articles, and we do lots of transformations on it right now.

would you say you like wikihow

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
its the worst to deal with from a programming perspective

its hilarious to experience wiki politics straight on

like wikihow authors fighting over which of their 15 year old kids should do the art on the page

http://www.wikihow.com/index.php?title=Carve-a-Watermelon-T-Rex-Dinosaur&oldid=16132189
http://www.wikihow.com/index.php?title=Carve-a-Watermelon-T-Rex-Dinosaur&oldid=15762733

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

its the worst to deal with from a programming perspective

its hilarious to experience wiki politics straight on

like wikihow authors fighting over which of their 15 year old kids should do the art on the page

http://www.wikihow.com/index.php?title=Carve-a-Watermelon-T-Rex-Dinosaur&oldid=16132189
http://www.wikihow.com/index.php?title=Carve-a-Watermelon-T-Rex-Dinosaur&oldid=15762733

lol

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
a good and relevant twitter https://twitter.com/WikiHowArt

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Awkwardness is my current fave

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the move that killed a man

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Suspicious Dish posted:

as for bom price itself, we're working on lower-end products with lower price points.

low enough that intel tossed you over to an odm for support?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Suspicious Dish posted:

Stupid question: can't you just run mediawiki on the computers with the database dump?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
huh? we haven't worked directly with intel at all.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

Stupid question: can't you just run mediawiki on the computers with the database dump?

not in any sane way. there's plenty of transformations we want to do on the source material (compress images to better fit on our systems, drop entire articles and unlink them for disk space).

and wikipedia's mediawiki setup is one of the most complex ones that exist. it's not easy to reproduce at all.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/mediawiki%2Ftools%2Frelease.git/HEAD/make-wmf-branch%2Fdefault.conf
https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/operations%2Fmediawiki-config.git/HEAD/wmf-config%2Fextension-list

for a quick taste

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

"Extensions extensions that we want to copy their status from the previous branch"

:pwn: :pwn:

jimny what have you done to teh wikibebias

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
dont even care if this has been posted before. dont even fufcking care

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/963861855/keep-track-of-your-gases-with-ch4

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Nagato posted:

dont even care if this has been posted before. dont even fufcking care

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/963861855/keep-track-of-your-gases-with-ch4

way better if they put this

up ur rear end imo. make it bluetooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

way better if they put this

up ur rear end imo. make it bluetooth

is that a metric thread? my bum is whitworth like any true englishman's.

• Locked thread