Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
"Well I don't have the best angle but the Sharnhorst only has 11-inch guns so this shouldn't be too ba--"
https://gfycat.com/PerfectTheseDuckbillcat
t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JuffoWup posted:

I had a guy yesterday take a startled moment to ponder how his n cal got citadeled by a tirpitz while bow on to the tirpitz (me). That was also the kill shot so he had some time to ponder it. I was about as surprised as he was. He had started to turn though, but I had also aimed high with the intent of striking the superstructure since he was bow on to me. He wasn't really mad though. Just going "welp, that was a shock and a lesson." Apparently my first two volleys on him at the start of the game had each broken one of his turrets. Leaving him plodding around most of the game alive with just one functional turret. The poor guy, I have no idea how I got so lucky to basically cripple him at the start.

Pretty sure you got a citadel on the turret barbette.

Insert name here posted:

"Well I don't have the best angle but the Sharnhorst only has 11-inch guns so this shouldn't be too ba--"
https://gfycat.com/PerfectTheseDuckbillcat
t:mad:

Angling isn't everything.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The Mikasa's not really worth grinding for, is it? All the slobbering retards that crawled out of the woodwork have put my win rate in the shitter and I'm thinking about taking a break from the game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sperglord Actual posted:

The Mikasa's not really worth grinding for, is it? All the slobbering retards that crawled out of the woodwork have put my win rate in the shitter and I'm thinking about taking a break from the game.

Kill grind missions are literally never worth it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sperglord Actual posted:

The Mikasa's nothing but a 31,200hp xp piñata for destroyer captains and seal clubbers to finish their dailies on.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Urgh, 139k damage game in Molotov and of course team is in a hurry to find out who can die the fastest.

This guy was on my team: https://warships.today/player/1019657882/na/blimp66

He drove in a Cleveland at full speed into a cap circle at the start of the game then complained when he got blown to pieces, saying he was "giving up" because he had a 15% survival rate. I wonder why. Almost 1800 battles and he hasnt figured it out yet.

As far as ranked goes, I was really excited for the start of the season. But one of my friends started playing, and I actually preferred just playing regular division games over ranked. I've worked my way up to 11 and its gone pretty well I think from 18 to 11 i've lost maybe 5 or 6 stars total - I suspect all the good players (and the really persistent average ones) moved up to higher brackets weeks ago and im left with the ordinary pubbies.

Im kinda hoping the Dunkerque comes out soon. I dont really need another T6 premium, but it would be nice to at least have a 10 point captain in 2019 when the first French line hits the game.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Shoulda sent in an ornament like us cool kids who've had the (terrible) Mikasa since December.....I sent in a cool Iowa turret with candy cane barrels made out of sculpty to try and get a Tirpitz :(

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Rank 5.3

21 stars needed. 7 days to finish. As long as I get 3 stars a day, I can do it. I've switched over to a Nagato again (4-1) streak to end my night. I noticed cruisers were really impacting the battle, so I figured if I wipe them out, my DD can go wild.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

It turns like a truck running on greased rims, while having no armour and a comparable citadel zone to the Nurnberg, and on top of that the AP shells are aggressively mediocre - nothing should ever bounce off the flat side of a Furutaka - and it has non-existent AA, as well as the same lousy 4km torps the destroyers get.

And I have people telling me the Schors is somehow worse.

The last nerf to the Cleveland finally pushed it over the tipping point, where it's now quite difficult (but not impossible) to use effectively, and in certain circumstances is inferior to the Nurnberg. It's still better than the Aoba and Budyonny.

It has 2nd best AA of all T6 cruiser and the best range with fast enough shell to exploit it.
At this tier the low penetration of the AP is enough to waste most cruisers and being a light cruiser it does a good job of burning battleships with it's decent HE.
At tier 8 tho, the guns are kinda meh (chapayev).

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
With some comments here about the Budyonny filling me with trepidation when I finally unlocked it, I've got to say that a LOT of people underestimate it during combat. Yes it turns like a bus, but I've modded its turn speed, and with second hull it gets down to about 6-7 secs for rudder. I started by running broadside from long range (15-16ks), but that's primo range to get citadelled by fusos. Run a variety of angles compared to the enemy battle line, and you should be fine. Some bbs and dds get really unnerved when you drive straight at them though, and drop torps when their turret speeds cant keep up, or they're trying to escape.

Stay away from ruski/ american DDs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Victor Surge posted:

Edit: Surprisingly the Cleveland has the lowest win rate of all tier 6 cruisers in the top 50% of players. It probably really needs to be buffed and put where ever it's actually supposed to be in a new USA cruiser line or the Buddy needs a slight nerf. Additionally since CVs are scarce these days the Cleveland doesn't get to shine much in an antiaircraft role which could sway matches.

A symptom of the Cleveland beinng OP as gently caress for so long that every mouth breathing idiot had to have one, so the average stats were badly muddied. Mean time all of the non-premium Russian cruisers are poorly rated, so only a small percentage bother.

The Impaler posted:

Run a variety of angles compared to the enemy battle line, and you should be fine.

Angles? It's like a Furutaka, there is no angle which will stop you from being citadeled by a battleship, and it is so bereft of agility, and so large, that it's relatively easy to hit. Nurnberg can't angle either, but it has vastly superior guns, and the agility to steer around battleship fire at long range.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
But Nurberg has the worst turret layout of all T6 cruisers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

But Nurberg has the worst turret layout of all T6 cruisers.

I thought so too before getting it, but the gammy 1-2 layout is actually an advantage, because you do 2/3 or better of your damage while dictating the range, instead of while driving towards the instant death zone. Makes it less dangerous to Destroyers in exchange.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Also I don't know about the Nurnberg but the Konigsberg rear turrets can now turn 360 degrees, completely removing the weakness of the layout and cementing its place as the Best T5 cruiser/ship.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

Rank 5.3

21 stars needed. 7 days to finish. As long as I get 3 stars a day, I can do it. I've switched over to a Nagato again (4-1) streak to end my night. I noticed cruisers were really impacting the battle, so I figured if I wipe them out, my DD can go wild.

Yeah the CAs to watch out for aren't the ones sitting in the back setting BBs on fire at all the time, it's the ones that go with their DDs to a cap point and help kill a DD or two.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

NTRabbit posted:

Mean time all of the non-premium Russian cruisers are poorly rated, so only a small percentage bother.

More like they have a high skill ceiling and pubbies are not good at boats. Any good to great player will likely perform better in the Russian cruiser than an American one. Are you a good player? Play the Russian line. If not then play whatever.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Victor Surge posted:

More like they have a high skill ceiling and pubbies are not good at boats. Any good to great player will likely perform better in the Russian cruiser than an American one. Are you a good player? Play the Russian line. If not then play whatever.

I'm up to tier 6 in both Russian lines, and the only enjoyable ships I've driven so far are the Derzki and Ognevoi, the rest have been pretty much trash.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

El Disco posted:

Yeah the CAs to watch out for aren't the ones sitting in the back setting BBs on fire at all the time, it's the ones that go with their DDs to a cap point and help kill a DD or two.

I also don't waste my time switching to HE. I feel I do decent damage hitting them with AP enough to make an impact when they are being focused. I only have two hits with my manual secondaries and am thinking about picking up three other skills instead. Ammo switching and concealment detection. And then the tier three skill for repair.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I'm up to tier 6 in both Russian lines, and the only enjoyable ships I've driven so far are the Derzki and Ognevoi, the rest have been pretty much trash.

Budyonny is the best Tier 6 Cruiser and its not even close. This is both from the stats and having played them all. If the Cleveland had the BFT/AFT/EM bonus again then it might be competitive with Budyonny.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

Budyonny is the best Tier 6 Cruiser and its not even close. This is both from the stats and having played them all. If the Cleveland had the BFT/AFT/EM bonus again then it might be competitive with Budyonny.

I've also played them all, and I consider the Budyonny to be bottom tier with the Aoba; the Nurnberg and Cleveland far and away split the mantle of best tier 6 cruiser, and the Nurnberg only joined the Cleveland at the top after the BFT/AFT nerfs.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

NTRabbit posted:

Bogatyr is the best low tier cruiser IMHO. Like St. Louis traded some HP for speed and it's pretty competitive in T5 matches.

Rus DD line really shines with Kiev. Everything after that is 110% solid. I just got my Khabarovsk and it's already my favorite ship of the game with its absurd DPM and speed.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I've also played them all, and I consider the Budyonny to be bottom tier with the Aoba; the Nurnberg and Cleveland far and away split the mantle of best tier 6 cruiser, and the Nurnberg only joined the Cleveland at the top after the BFT/AFT nerfs.

Well personal taste is a thing, eg I think the Yorck is a better ship than Hipper and I know I am very much in a minority there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

guidoanselmi posted:

Bogatyr is the best low tier cruiser IMHO. Like St. Louis traded some HP for speed and it's pretty competitive in T5 matches.

Rus DD line really shines with Kiev. Everything after that is 110% solid. I just got my Khabarovsk and it's already my favorite ship of the game with its absurd DPM and speed.

Bogatyr is a St Louis with slower firing guns and no armour belt, ie the two strengths of the St. Louis. Bogatyr was fine until you got into a battle with a seal clubber in a St Louis, at which point you autolost.

Derzki is great fun, Izyaslav gets trashed by the almighty Clemson and outclassed at torpedo work by the Isokaze, and the Gnevny is ruined by not having torpedoes in comparison to the awe inspiring Minekaze, and a really subpar gun layout that makes it impossible to keep enough guns pointed at a target to do damage while successfully dodging return fire, as the Nicholas can. Ognevoi solves that problem, which is why it's infinitely more dangerous, and tbh is probably best in tier considering it's up against the ok Mutsuki and disappointing Farragut.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I would rather drive the faragut over the gnevny imo. The glacial turret speed on the gnevny kills it for me. Any kind of movement so as to dodge incoming fire will cause a pause in shooting.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

I would rather drive the faragut over the gnevny imo. The glacial turret speed on the gnevny kills it for me. Any kind of movement so as to dodge incoming fire will cause a pause in shooting.

The Gnevny is amazing at stomping on lower tier DDs and cruisers since you can win a DPM race against them without having to turn and lose your guns on people. But it does really poorly against similar and higher tier ships if you have to dodge.
Even at tier 6, I think I'd rather have a Farragut over a Ognevoi simply because you have workable torpedoes, the extra 2.5km of distance on them is really helpful in surprising a ship or closing up before they notice you.

I'm not far from unlocking the Hatsuharu and I'm not positive I want to keep moving up the tree, the Hats doesn't seem to really improve on the Mutsuki to the degree it should.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

For the New Orleans, should I just use the accuracy upgrade for slot 2? Everything else seems kind of crap. AA range might be useful if carriers were to become common again but eh.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
https://github.com/BlindNImpotent/WoWS-Ship-Stats-Calculator/releases/tag/v0.14-alpha
Fixed some bugs and added some flags/skills as well as xp modifier and manual AA checkbox. Feedback is appreciated so I can finish implementing everything needed and transition into web based tool afterwards.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Redeye Flight posted:

immediately after it comes the Konigsberg at 5, which is now quite possibly the best cruiser at tier since its aft guns can now rotate 360 degrees. The Nurnberg after it lacks this, but is still very good. German guns are very accurate and their arcs are better than those of the Americans, and they have VERY good reload times--Germans are more comfortable farther away but are perfectly comfortable in a brawl.

Thanks for the info. I'm basically planning to pick a few T5/T6 ships to focus on, and the Königsberg sounds like exactly the ship for the way I like to play games like this.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Well personal taste is a thing, eg I think the Yorck is a better ship than Hipper and I know I am very much in a minority there.

You are not in the minority - the t7 Yorck is a better ship for its tier, the Hipper has much less survivability as a t8 CA.

NTRabbit posted:

Bogatyr is a St Louis with slower firing guns and no armour belt, ie the two strengths of the St. Louis. Bogatyr was fine until you got into a battle with a seal clubber in a St Louis, at which point you autolost.

The strength of the Bogatyr over the St. Louis is that it trades 1 sec of reload time on its high-velocity BFT 130mms for use of AFT, which gives it superlative range over the St. Louis - about 3.6 km worth, where you can mangle a louie with impunity; you're also a bit faster than a St. Louis, which means you can kite if you pay attention. This also gives you better range than both t3 battleships and the t4 wyoming (while t4 myogi outranges you, its dispersion at that range is incredibly poor.)

Note that the St. Louis, while much better armored through the deck and armored almost twice as much in citadel, still has a quintessential US armor layout for its time, with fore and aft end armor being almost nonexistent. If you're a good enough shot, you can pen it at your leisure (but no need to when it's on fire every section, as the bogatyr is more of a flamethrower.)

wdarkk posted:

For the New Orleans, should I just use the accuracy upgrade for slot 2? Everything else seems kind of crap. AA range might be useful if carriers were to become common again but eh.

Keep accuracy upgrade, change to AA when they buff CVs in the fall or winter.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Borachon posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm basically planning to pick a few T5/T6 ships to focus on, and the Königsberg sounds like exactly the ship for the way I like to play games like this.

One thing I've found playing the Konigsberg is that to get the most out of it, you have to understand when to play careful and when to go balls to the wall and charge down that loving battleship and make him learn fear and humility. I can't really tell you when you need to switch from careful play to stupid aggressive play, but if you can get it down you can accomplish beautiful things in that ship.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just got into this game and I think I like it better than WoT.

Seems a lot more forgiving about mistakes (except when I eat multiple torpedoes at once). If I screw up I can usually work myself out of a pickle or at least dish some damage before going down. But in WoT its usually a quick violent death in the span of a few seconds.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Man tonight has sucked so far for afk'ers. I've had a pair two games in a row.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Sperglord Actual posted:

I find playing ranked will get me 2-3 kills per match. The smaller teams in ranked also make it significantly easier to carry. I think I kept ~75% w/r with my NM and each time it was me vs 2/3rd of the enemy team. I haven't seen so many BB's going full broadside in over a year, it was insane. I don't know if the Mikasa is worth it or not though, I just want it because I saw it when I was in Japan and think it'd be neat to have it in game.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

Yorck might be my favorite cruiser of all time. I thought I was going to hate it, but its fantastic at kiting. Guns have good range and superb accuracy. It's just nimble enough to make battleships give up and shoot at an easier target after a salvo or two. And although the guns are a tad slow to reload, I found it extremely good at killing DDs with those potent HE rounds and super sonar. I regretted buying the Hipper right from go, and even though I know it would be considerably better I don't think ill bother with the Roon or Hindenburg anytime soon if ever.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Mikasa is super bad, but it's worth when you're the only BB in a tier 2 game and you terrify the newbies.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

The dream is alive, I've reached 4.2 tonight.

I went 6-2 tonight. My only regrets are the two losses, both we had won, until pubbies pubbed. Even at rank 5 people still aren't content with just running away and winning.

What's worse than those two losses? Getting second place by a total of 7 points in them. Also the second loss, the entire 5 remaining ships on the other team had a total of 15k health... no one would finish them. BB life. Nagato is king, especially when someone smokes you. Was able to take both opposing BB out while in smoke at around 8km. Hilarious.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

Mikasa is super bad, but it's worth when you're the only BB in a tier 2 game and you terrify the newbies.

The opposing teams terror just up until you fire your guns, watch a shell go backwards and citadel a friendly cruiser.

It's guns are shockingly bad.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

NTRabbit posted:

Hahahah we've got opposite opinions on T6 cruisers. I reckon the Buddy and Aoba are awesome all rounders that are effective against all types of ships, whereas Nurnberg (AP long range spam) and Cleve (heavy AA- at least how I specced mine since I never experienced it with old BFT/AFT) have weaknesses. Don't get me wrong through, the only ship I plan on retaining after moving to Tier 7 is the Cleve, as I love it to death.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Had a lot of fun (up until that last game) with murdering destroyers for you Icefist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blinks77 posted:

The opposing teams terror just up until you fire your guns, watch a shell go backwards and citadel a friendly cruiser.

It's guns are shockingly bad.

I've watched a couple brawl and they were 3km from each other and I don't think they landed more then 2 hits from multiple salvos. However, it has secondaries out the rear end. Tossing a secondary spec'd captain in one of those will probably do pretty well, until you run across someone in a destroyer.