Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
You can always Teleport to Friend, if you have the item. Ask in GOON or SFD and someone will be happy to help, I'm sure.

Just go directly to Dragon's Stand and go back into Tangled Depths from there and work backwards. Tangled Depths as a map really only makes sense once you get to the ley line confluence area, where you can see all of the branches leading into different sides of the map. The surface is a total disaster and TD is easily the worst map in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Post your build and gear (including weapons and runes). You shouldn't be having that much trouble, HoT zones are easy as pie for me as a dragonhunter.

At the moment I'm using the Hammer Build here:
http://qtfy.eu/build/guardian

Exotic Berserker's armor with Flame Legion Sigils
Exotic Berserker's Hammer with Blood Sigil (just what was cheapest in the AH when I switched earlier to trying this build)
Rare Berserker's Scepter with Force and Rare Focus
All Berserker Accessories with Beryl Orbs

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

MO money MO problems

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nessin posted:

At the moment I'm using the Hammer Build here:
http://qtfy.eu/build/guardian

Exotic Berserker's armor with Flame Legion Sigils
Exotic Berserker's Hammer with Blood Sigil (just what was cheapest in the AH when I switched earlier to trying this build)
Rare Berserker's Scepter with Force and Rare Focus
All Berserker Accessories with Beryl Orbs

If you're doing your own thing and running around in PvE there's no reason to only bring Berserker's gear. I usually pop a Knight's item or two on guardians because they get such a low HP pool.

A better and funner guardian build for running around doing things is the one that makes all your meditations recharge faster and also heal you, then bring only meditations in your active skills. Weapons are whatever. The heals from casting those abilities will keep you alive through pretty much anything, because each one will heal you for roughly 20-25% of your health (and your main heal will heal you for half when you cast it, and more for each hit).

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 27, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Adhesive Gamin posted:

MMO money MMO problems

#magswag

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Remember friends, they can't kill you if you kill them first!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

nessin posted:

Like I'm just now running my Guardian through Tangled Depths

that place is literally a maze and a shitshow

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Erdricks posted:

I used to be able to do a variety of events before megaserver because the events were always on different timers. After megaserver, the same events ran on the same schedule on all servers, which is the same system as in HoT. Basically, I only get to do the same little slice of the game over and over and over, which pretty much killed a lot of my desire to do open world pve.

Doesn't the Megaserver system predate HoT? Or am I missing something?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Spookyelectric posted:

Doesn't the Megaserver system predate HoT? Or am I missing something?

It does predate HoT, and when megaserver dropped is the time I originally quit the game (Sept 2014).

To be clear, I'm not saying megaservers or fixed-schedule events are necessarily bad for the game. Megaserver, in particular, is probably better for the game overall. It just something that did not work for me because of my schedule constraints. I've enjoyed S3 content a lot , however, because it's digestible in such small chunks. I could see it getting boring for more hardcore people.

Erdricks fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 28, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm still confused by what you're saying. Take an event like Megadestroyer for example. Did it not happen at the same time on NA servers originally? Like, same time on Maguuma or Blackgate? There were no east coast/west coast/etc servers before. Megaservers just combined instances from different "servers" onto one.

If I'm misunderstanding you I apologize but I don't get what you're saying about megaservers changing event timings.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm still confused by what you're saying. Take an event like Megadestroyer for example. Did it not happen at the same time on NA servers originally? Like, same time on Maguuma or Blackgate? There were no east coast/west coast/etc servers before. Megaservers just combined instances from different "servers" onto one.

If I'm misunderstanding you I apologize but I don't get what you're saying about megaservers changing event timings.

I think for a game like WoW he has a valid complaint, but for this one it doesn't matter. Most events are on a timer, especially the meta ones for HoT maps. The dynamic ones are.. well.. dynamic, and will happen again soon. There's always something to do for any amount of time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lucifirius posted:

I think for a game like WoW he has a valid complaint, but for this one it doesn't matter. Most events are on a timer, especially the meta ones for HoT maps. The dynamic ones are.. well.. dynamic, and will happen again soon. There's always something to do for any amount of time.

Exactly, for WoW style servers he definitely has a point, but I'm pretty sure GW2 was never like that and I have played consistently since day 1.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

His complaint is not that there's nothing to do, his complaint is that the fixed timers mean someone logging in at the same time every day who wants to do world events is stuck doing the exact same events every time

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

I seem to recall pre-megaserver that world boss trains were a bigger thing, because you could never be sure which ones exactly were up. You had sites like dragontimer that would give you the status of the big dragon fights and the Orr temples on each server, but for most of the other world bosses it was a real crapshoot. While most of the big world boss fights are now on a fixed timer, there are still a ton that are on the old dynamic system, things like Ogre Wars, Flame Temple Tombs/Rhendak, Fire Shaman, Eye of Zhaitan, and Commissar. And for those, it depends entirely on which map instance you're in for whether or not they're active.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Kessel posted:

His complaint is not that there's nothing to do, his complaint is that the fixed timers mean someone logging in at the same time every day who wants to do world events is stuck doing the exact same events every time

This. Exactly. Before megaserver, events ran x minutes after the previous event ocurred, so there was no "schedule". I could log in at the same time each day and have something different to do in terms of open world pve. After megaserver, open world pve lost all variety for me. Also after megaserver, it became impossible to coordinate orr temple events, which I really enjoyed farming :(

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ok I boosted a character to 80, where do you go from there?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

verdant brink and get your gliding

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Look back a couple pages for a detailed explanation of what you should and should not do. It's been recently rehashed. Don't go to VB right away.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

For someone who has done the Living Season 2 meta achievements what episodes are the easiest?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Counterpoint: do exactly enough of VB to get your first mastery point and unlock basic gliding. Central Tyria is sooooooo much more fun with gliding.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

This. Exactly. Before megaserver, events ran x minutes after the previous event ocurred, so there was no "schedule". I could log in at the same time each day and have something different to do in terms of open world pve. After megaserver, open world pve lost all variety for me. Also after megaserver, it became impossible to coordinate orr temple events, which I really enjoyed farming :(

Use one of the boss timers or gw2taco in the OP, there is tons to do at any time and megaservers mean there are actually going to be people to do them. I have incredibly limited casual play hours like you and I have the opposite experience you're talking about. Give it a try.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Erdricks posted:

Look back a couple pages for a detailed explanation of what you should and should not do. It's been recently rehashed. Don't go to VB right away.

I looked back a couple pages and didn't find this guide

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

frajaq posted:

I looked back a couple pages and didn't find this guide

Once you hit 80, there's a few things you can do:

1) Get the Gear: Get whatever exotic gear you need to finish off your character. Usually, you can buy this off the TP for a pittance of gold. If you don't have gold, though...
2) Get the Gold: Do dailies/events for some quick and easy gold, but if you want a better way to make money...
3) Get the Group: Get some friends together to do dungeons/fractals. Fractals also have dailies as well that will help you earn money and ascended gear. Speaking of that...
4) Get Shiny: Slowly work on replacing your exotic gear with ascended gear. Stuff like rings, amulets and earrings are easy enough to replace thanks to laurels, but armor and weapons must be crafted. You can earn even more gold or farm for materials yourself much easier if you head to the Heart of Thorns areas...
5) Get to Verdant Brink: Once there, you'll unlock a whole bunch of mastery lines. Try to get the first entry in each line as soon as possible, but definitely max out Gliding Mastery first. Get as many mastery points as you can as you make your way towards...
6) Get to Dragon's Stand: You'll have to navigate your way through Auric Basin and Tangled Depths to get here, but the effort will be worth it: Verdant Brink, Auric Basin and Tangled Depths have repeating map-wide chain events that have capstone events in the form of either a large boss battle, a series of intense fights or a combination thereof. Dragon's Stand also has a repeating event, but the entire process is under a time-limit and requires everyone on the map working towards the same goal, which isn't as difficult as it sounds. You might be wondering, though, where all this ascended gear comes from...
7) Get to Bloodstone Fen/Ember Bay/Bitterfrost Frontier/Lake Doric/Draconis Mons: To get to these places, you'll either have to do story missions or have some teleport to friend stones and teleport to party members who are already in those zones. Especially in Bloodstone Fen, experience points will just rain down on you thanks to unbound magic literally floating in the sky and a constant stream of events will help you max out mastery real quick, and the mastery points are easy to earn here in comparison to some of the other mastery points in the core HoT areas. All the areas also feature two currencies: unbound magic, which is used across all these maps, and map-specific currencies that can be earned by harvesting them from specialty nodes. These nodes also yield tons of base ascended crafting materials (more than you could ever use), and you can exchange these currencies for ascended accessories as well as ascended backpieces. Once you get geared up, then you can give something more difficult a try...
8) Get Raiding: Raids aren't for everyone, but getting into a raid group might be fun for you. They have a high difficulty curve and require you to be both ready with gear and prepared to follow precise directions at all times (though once you get comfortable with it, it apparently gets much easier). If raids aren't your thing, there's still other things to do...
9) Get Infused: Get agony resistance infusions into your ascended gear and start doing higher level fractals. The difficulty ramps up pretty smoothly across all of them as you get progressively higher ranked with them, and the tier 4 fractals always has someone willing to do a group up for them. Even if you don't have the agony resist to withstand dying immediately, if your fractal group is willing to take you along, you can still do t4 fractals which will improve your personal rank. If all this PvE content sounds boring as hell to you...
10) Get to World vs. World: A giant scrim between servers offers plenty of PvP fun, and you earn rewards for simply doing anything in WvW. Best of all, the gear you earned doing PvE stuff applies here so you didn't essentially waste your time doing it. If all this sounds stupid, there's always the the tried and true endgame...
11) Get Pretty: Literally make your character or characters as stunning/amazing/hideously ugly to look at through a combination of transmuted gear and dyes. Filling out skin collections can be an adventure in and of itself. Speaking of that...
12) Get Exploring: Getting out and seeing the world at large and/or completing the various collections for achievements can be a rewarding and fun experience by itself. But, if everything I've suggested doesn't suit you at all...
13) Get to PvP: Structured PvP might be interesting to you, especially if you like ~*E-SPORTS*~. Best of all, you can just skip ahead and go straight there instead of wasting your time doing anything else, since everything is standardized in sPvP: everyone is the same level and gets access to the same gear. You also get rewards for doing PvP, in the same way you get rewards for doing anything else in this game. It's very good at just throwing rewards at you, though admittedly the value of those rewards will mostly be "salvage materials."

So those are 13 things you can do once you hit 80. Hopefully that's enough to get you going so you can find what works for you!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

11) Get Pretty

Great list tictac but really, this should be #1.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Use one of the boss timers or gw2taco in the OP, there is tons to do at any time and megaservers mean there are actually going to be people to do them. I have incredibly limited casual play hours like you and I have the opposite experience you're talking about. Give it a try.

Are you trolling me? My point isn't that I am lacking stuff to do it's that whenever I log in it's the same god drat stuff every day. Makes running VB meta impossible for me because it will NEVER run while I have time to do it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

thanks

also because I joined late I missed all living world season 3 episodes except the latest one that I can do eventually, they can be safely ignored right? I won't miss huge in-game rewards or zones because of them?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

All the season 3 episodes have an associated zone.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

frajaq posted:

thanks

also because I joined late I missed all living world season 3 episodes except the latest one that I can do eventually, they can be safely ignored right? I won't miss huge in-game rewards or zones because of them?

They provide real easy access to ascended rings, amulets, backs, accessories, and aqua breathers. I would try to get at least Bitterfrost Frontier for the easy berry farm.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Are you trolling me? My point isn't that I am lacking stuff to do it's that whenever I log in it's the same god drat stuff every day. Makes running VB meta impossible for me because it will NEVER run while I have time to do it.

What? I'm not trolling, I'm trying to be helpful. Have you tried the boss timers on various websites or in gw2taco? I have the same limited playtimes every night on weeknights, and I never do the same thing when I log on, so it makes me think you're not looking at these timers/sites at all, and these are unaffected by megaservers. Major event timers (like fire ele, golem, dry top, silverwastes, etc etc) were never server-specific before, I still don't know what you mean. There are a large number of events that go on, on 15-30-60 minute cycles, it's not just the zone metas that are a thing to do, there's a lot more. You're being a dick to me now so I'm done trying to give tips, god bless have fun.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

For example, Verdant Brink is on a 90 minute timer, meaning 16 cycles fit every day. This means it's possible for someone to log in every day at, say, 6:00 pm, and only have 45 minutes to play, any given day, somehow, and as such will never see Verdant Brink nighttime.

This is the situation Erdricks is claiming. Not impossible, but pretty unbelievable.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Erdricks posted:

If you live in an area that observes daylight savings then something like four/eight months of the year, you'll be playing at a different time since the servers don't observe any daylight savings.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

What? I'm not trolling, I'm trying to be helpful. Have you tried the boss timers on various websites or in gw2taco? I have the same limited playtimes every night on weeknights, and I never do the same thing when I log on, so it makes me think you're not looking at these timers/sites at all, and these are unaffected by megaservers. Major event timers (like fire ele, golem, dry top, silverwastes, etc etc) were never server-specific before, I still don't know what you mean. There are a large number of events that go on, on 15-30-60 minute cycles, it's not just the zone metas that are a thing to do, there's a lot more. You're being a dick to me now so I'm done trying to give tips, god bless have fun.

Gerent spawns every two hours on every server so if he doesn't login during a specific time he'll never be able to do it. Fire Elemental and Golem spawn at specific time intervals each day so there is a chance he'll either always see them or never see them.

I might be totally off with the times but I believe that is what he is talking about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

For example, Verdant Brink is on a 90 minute timer, meaning 16 cycles fit every day. This means it's possible for someone to log in every day at, say, 6:00 pm, and only have 45 minutes to play, any given day, somehow, and as such will never see Verdant Brink nighttime.

This is the situation Erdricks is claiming. Not impossible, but pretty unbelievable.

Okay, thanks for explaining, I was trying to be helpful but I was misunderstanding and I didn't deserve to be accused of trolling.

I guess the answer is to just be flexible about what activities you do? If your playtime is never any other time, and always say 6-7pm Central or whatever, you just have to learn how to not care about specific events because there's nothing that can be done about that and that kind of playtime limit isn't conducive to group/metaevent gameplay. There's always other stuff going on at least.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

frajaq posted:

thanks

Baron Snow posted:

All the season 3 episodes have an associated zone.

To be more specific, each of the season 3 episodes have an associated zone. One each. And they're some of the best zones out there. Don't fret, though, with a TP to friend you can get to Bloodstone Fen without the chapter, and I think a couple of the other ones have stadard zone borders you can cross if you know where to go? Am I wrong on that?

The downside is that you won't unlock their zone-specific mastery tracks or abilities without the chapters, unless they've changed that. So no unbound magic gathering for you.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

dad on the rag posted:

Gerent spawns every two hours on every server so if he doesn't login during a specific time he'll never be able to do it. Fire Elemental and Golem spawn at specific time intervals each day so there is a chance he'll either always see them or never see them.

I might be totally off with the times but I believe that is what he is talking about.

This is correct. I'm not saying I don't have stuff to do. I'm saying megaserver cut me off from alot of the open world pve game because I work 12h days and only play 60-90m per night, around the same time, and don't play on weekends. I haven't seen a fire elemental or mega d in years.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Erdricks posted:

This is correct. I'm not saying I don't have stuff to do. I'm saying megaserver cut me off from alot of the open world pve game because I work 12h days and only play 60-90m per night, around the same time, and don't play on weekends. I haven't seen a fire elemental or mega d in years.

I haven't seen a mega d in years, either. A micro, maybe, but not a mega.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Aleph Null posted:

I haven't seen a mega d in years, either. A micro, maybe, but not a mega.

But enough about you.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
This is unrelated to GW2 but I need to share. I've come to Pittsburgh for work meetings and there appears to be some kind of furry convention going on? They are streaming in and out of the hotel and are varying degrees of horrifying.

Well, thanks for listening, diary.

Related to GW2 though, you Migraine ditchers are real punks! Why I oughtta! CaptainWeedo was so hurt he wept openly.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 29, 2017

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Can I get pictures?

-Diary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Fifteen of Many posted:

Related to GW2 though, you Migraine ditchers are real punks! Why I oughtta! CaptainWeedo was so hurt he wept openly.

Was this today? I kinda forgot about it and never got any followup either by PM or a post here.

• Locked thread