Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i played as a four stack a few times and one game our fifth member went out of his mind being angry about being with a 4 stack for absolutely no reason, to the point that he fed on purpose over it and said dynamic queue ruin the game. so a dude so convinced that dynamic queue was ruining the game ruined it for all of us and then blamed us

Teikanmi posted:

Dynamic queue means you can queue with up to 4 people and then 1 person is left out in the cold and/or ganged up on by the premade group. It's really common to see people boosting a friend using this method and makes rank less meaningful.

Solo/Duo means only a max of two people can queue up, so there's more potential chances that someone will actually have to solo carry instead of just relying on others.

i've had more people ruin games i'm in by trying to "solo carry" than i have had ruined by premades.

edit: ofc this change isn't for people like me, since the dude explaining the changes is talking about the ~perceived legitimacy~ of ranked, and the PRIDE of your loading screen border

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Teikanmi posted:

Dynamic queue means you can queue with up to 4 people and then 1 person is left out in the cold and/or ganged up on by the premade group. It's really common to see people boosting a friend using this method and makes rank less meaningful.

Solo/Duo means only a max of two people can queue up, so there's more potential chances that someone will actually have to solo carry instead of just relying on others.

On the other hand, dynamic queue means that I never have to play jungle or adc which honestly is worth bearing absolutely all minor inconveniences it might cause. I'm really hoping that this change doesn't cause the dynamic queue wait times to skyrocket. I really never want to go back to the Soloqueue champion select.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Aumanor posted:

On the other hand, dynamic queue means that I never have to play jungle or adc which honestly is worth bearing absolutely all minor inconveniences it might cause. I'm really hoping that this change doesn't cause the dynamic queue wait times to skyrocket. I really never want to go back to the Soloqueue champion select.

Dynamic queue isn't the same as role preference selection.

e: vvv owned vvv

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 5, 2016

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Aumanor posted:

New draft champion select has nothing to do with solo or dynamic queue

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

other than people in silver believing that they will be forced to fill due to queue times, much like the pro streamers they watch

edit: actually i wonder why people who hate dynamic queue are okay with duo queue

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 5, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The only thing I'll be forced to fill is empty seats at major award shows, due to my part time profession of seat filler.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

i played as a four stack a few times and one game our fifth member went out of his mind being angry about being with a 4 stack for absolutely no reason, to the point that he fed on purpose over it and said dynamic queue ruin the game. so a dude so convinced that dynamic queue was ruining the game ruined it for all of us and then blamed us
It can be p frustrating to be on the 1 side of a 4/1 while the 4 other people make no effort to work with or include you in anything and almost seemingly go out of their way to leave you high and dry. People also check their opponents at the start of most games and tend to focus on the odd man out because they (usually correctly) assume the jungler is going to focus on the lanes for people they're teamed with.

Not saying there hasn't been a bunch of unjustified whining about dynamic queue but I'm guessing the guy tilted enough to start inting probably didn't do it strictly because he was upset he was with a 4 man.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Work Friend Keven posted:

The only thing I'll be forced to fill is empty seats at major award shows, due to my part time profession of seat filler.

Cmon Kev, you can do better than this, don't rest on your laurels

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

he started intentionally feeding two minutes into the game. i can understand how frustrating it can be spending two minutes with a 4 man, so you're right he probably was justified

edit: for the record this dude specifically said upon loading in the game "oh great i'm with a 4 man, dynamic queue ruins the game gently caress this i am feeding"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

he started intentionally feeding two minutes into the game. i can understand how frustrating it can be spending two minutes with a 4 man, so you're right he probably was justified

Is this he started running it down his lane and he was punished when you 4 man reported him or is this he started losing fights towards the start of the game because he was getting pressured by the other team and got mad and blamed it on you guys not helping?

e: well hopefully the reports worked out then

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 5, 2016

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

What's your opinion about Galio's Ult?

Every goddamn thing interrupts Galio ult so the gargoyle is a Good And Cool champ that can stay.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

With the queue change I don't really see any reason to play normals anymore (which in my opinion is a good thing). "Serious" ranked play will be in solo/duo queue, and if you wanna play Summoner's Rift with more than 1 friend or with a single friend that you can't duo with for whatever reason you may as well just play new Flex Queue and get some rewards

Only reasons I can see to play normals are:
-You care a lot about your Flex Queue MMR/rank and don't want to tank it when you're just trying out new poo poo
-You can't queue with all your friends that want to because your divisions are too far apart

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i would be surprised if there are enough players to support both queues fully in NA

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
the gently caress is up with people trying to ivern support

yes, his Q roots, yes, it can give people a dash

but it does piddly damage and the rest of his kit doesn't have anything that can capitalize on that unless you bring daisy out, and daisy is relatively easy to kite if the enemy has half a brain cell

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"i want to play the new champion. also im heck of smart. i will queue fill and first pick him"

if ivern were actually a support you would have seen him top lane in those games

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So it's a solo/duo queue that counts as the main border and DQ for everything else? I'm really more curious about this part.

I think them splitting them kinda sucks as I'd queue up sometimes as 3 and seldom as 4 and it was fine. I never got the whole 4 man stack ruining my game but I'm not doubting people experienced it from time to time.

rabidsquid posted:

i would be surprised if there are enough players to support both queues fully in NA

there probably is--even if League isn't popular with goons at the moment it's still ridiculously popular

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
There's already not enough supports!!! Ha ha

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah, I bet the non-5 man dynamic queues are going to have pretty dire queue times because why would you solo or duo queue into that

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kingcobweb posted:

There's already not enough supports!!! Ha ha

The problem is whenever they have supports that make you feel strong enough to be sort of carrying the game (to the extent that a support can) they end up played in other lanes and nerfed. As is your best pick will always just be something that can make it through lane consistently and support whoever on your team doesn't suck, hence why all support mains in NA challenger are just janna players.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the problem is that people think they have to solo carry the game and don't understand how powerful a standard support is

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
AA change this patch a buff to Riven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1yVjuxe5w

:stonk:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

the problem is that people think they have to solo carry the game and don't understand how powerful a standard support is

nah I mean the most played and highest win rate supports are usually the boring ones like janna because those are the easiest ones to make good at their job without risking spillover

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

rabidsquid posted:

this is 100% true and why support mains have an easy time (imo) climbing the solo queue ladder, because your idiot opponents are queuing up as supports and playing brand and poo poo or defaulting to bard when they have no clue how they should be building or playing the role and instead try to build this damagey garbage when the enemy support can spend 1500g on aegis to negate their threat pretty heartily

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

No!!!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Ivern's brush can hide dragon and baron and herald while they're attacking holy poo poo

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
ivern is a super fun and happy champ but he feels undertuned i guess

the fact that peoplr are going "fukk u play on support" may be skewing my perception however

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think new Nunu might be a tad broken. (He had 4.1k HP by 16 minutes.)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Vermain posted:

I think new Nunu might be a tad broken. (He had 4.1k HP by 16 minutes.)

oh is that why people are playing him again now? I've had him in a couple of my games and he was feeding p hardcore.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

ArbitraryC posted:

oh is that why people are playing him again now? I've had him in a couple of my games and he was feeding p hardcore.

if you were doing normals and were in a game with a varus midlaner and were on the same team as him i am sorry

he feels a lot more healthy and capable of doing poo poo, but at the same time he like most champions requires you to have a team where the midlaner doesnt feed 8 times in the first 5 minutes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sperglord Firecock posted:

he feels a lot more healthy and capable of doing poo poo, but at the same time he like most champions requires you to have a team where the midlaner doesnt feed 8 times in the first 5 minutes

I'd say he's a fairly strong early-mid game jungle pick, now. The massive health boost means that he can start doing turret dives when a lot of tanks wouldn't even consider it because of what an ungodly wall of meat his Devour makes him. It also makes it easier for him to waddle fatly into a teamfight and ult, since he's in little to no danger of being blown up.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sperglord Firecock posted:

if you were doing normals and were in a game with a varus midlaner and were on the same team as him i am sorry

Nah i was playing top but i played tanks so he felt kind of redundant and sorta just ran around getting himself killed a lot. The game I played malphite tho we did get off some sick wombos later game so I can respect that. Learning champs is what norms are for tho so I don't really care if people try something new and suck at it I was just surprised to see him so much cause it's been forever since people played nunu.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Ivern is kinda bad and a bit too wonky. And his pet has awful AI and bugs out like crazy. Probably needs some time to iron out but I think the champ has some serious teamfighting potential.

Nunu however is ludicrous and very much busted.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 6, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
NO CANCELLATIONS Movement orders issued .03 seconds before a basic attack fires will no longer cancel it. The movement will now occur after the attack fires.

A bit hidden in the notes, but this is actually pretty huge and lessens the skill gap for ADC.

Also.
gently caress.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

NO CANCELLATIONS Movement orders issued .03 seconds before a basic attack fires will no longer cancel it. The movement will now occur after the attack fires.

A bit hidden in the notes, but this is actually pretty huge and lessens the skill gap for ADC.

All ADCs will now be destroyed evenly by Riven, who they gave special buffs in response to this change (??)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Work Friend Keven posted:

All ADCs will now be destroyed evenly by Riven, who they gave special buffs in response to this change (??)

I think the idea is now aa canceling has a buffer and will be frame perfect which benefits riven's kit substantially.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
also why did they stop calling it stutter stepping we're talking like decades of an effective term just tossed aside because it's a vaguely different genre

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Orbwalkers unite

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Its called orb walking, named for how it makes your champ look like they're being careful not to bang their testicles by moving too fast.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Voxx posted:

Orbwalkers unite

At first I honestly thought you meant the warhammer rts where the obliterators used different (and significantly better) attacks if they were moving so people always told you to walk them but after googling I was just disappointed to learn it was a dota term which brings me back to why they didn't just use the original rts phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

If Kennen can jungle there's another one. Paging Libertine, can kennen jungle.

Teemo too. I'd argue that Kennen is good in 4 roles (mid/top/ADC/supp), Kayle is good in 3 (top/mid/jungle), Teemo is good in only 2 (top/jungle). Honorable mention to Quinn, who really can't support, but is pretty solid in every other role.

• Locked thread