Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I hope they remove int, disc and strength. They feel arbitrary and I think it would be better to just bubble in how much of each you'd like instead of relying on random rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RNG is their primary time sink, that poo poo ain't going anywhere.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The prospect of actual, open-world Destiny excites me. If they add vehicles, it'll be my favorite game since Tribes 2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Destiny 2 will not be open world.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Wounded Unicorn posted:

The prospect of actual, open-world Destiny excites me. If they add vehicles, it'll be my favorite game since Tribes 2.

You should check the reflections on the puddles at the tower to see if they hint at the new maps in Destiny 2

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I hope they realize Arena Shooter x RPG is a lovely combination that's responsible for most of their balance problems, and results in the worst of both genres coming to the forefront.

The depth that makes an RPG compelling is lost while adding just enough crunch to ensure the gun play can never be cooked down to a good, consistent place. All that remains is the appearance of depth that's really just the endless grind for the current god-rolls and plugging in whatever class build is top during this balance pass.

Also have Firefight and start balancing PvE and PvP separately.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CheeseFactory posted:

The classes and subclasses will still exist as they are part of the lore. The perk will be reworked a lot.

The might even add in a new subclass.

Weedlock, Milf Hunter and Rumpshaker Titan

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Weedlock, Milf Hunter and Rumpshaker Titan

Locksmith, Hunter gatherer, Titanic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

sunday at work posted:

I hope they realize Arena Shooter x RPG is a lovely combination that's responsible for most of their balance problems, and results in the worst of both genres coming to the forefront.

The depth that makes an RPG compelling is lost while adding just enough crunch to ensure the gun play can never be cooked down to a good, consistent place. All that remains is the appearance of depth that's really just the endless grind for the current god-rolls and plugging in whatever class build is top during this balance pass.

Also have Firefight and start balancing PvE and PvP separately.
Ahhh yes, Bungle got it all wrong! No way would anybody play the same loving game for three whole years because they picked a lovely combination of genres.

Uhuh, mmhmm.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Akuma posted:

Ahhh yes, Bungle got it all wrong! No way would anybody play the same loving game for three whole years because they picked a lovely combination of genres.

Uhuh, mmhmm.

This game did not survive on its mess of a design philosophy. It would have died inside six months if it was built on anything other than Halo 2.

I've played as much as anyone in this thread and they'll all tell you it's the gun feel that has kept Destiny going this long.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Yeah gun feel and shiny armor, stupid ships, blinking sparrows, and gay shaders that do nothing but look cool

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Arena is fine for this franchise you loving nerds

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My uncle that works at Bungie says they're in final negotiations to buy the technology behind No Man's Sky and will be using it in Destiny 2.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

sunday at work posted:

This game did not survive on its mess of a design philosophy. It would have died inside six months if it was built on anything other than Halo 2.

I've played as much as anyone in this thread and they'll all tell you it's the gun feel that has kept Destiny going this long.
Nah that's bullshit. You play it for other reasons you just can't or don't want to articulate. You don't play the same game every day for two and a half years purely because of "gun feel."

Have you done the raids? Have you filled any activity book nodes? Have you completed dozens of quests? Do you stop playing other activities to play Iron Banner when it comes around?

Unless the answer to all of those is "no" then you're being lazy and/or reductive.

The gun feel makes it engaging moment to moment. The rest is what keeps people playing. Whether you recognise the Skinner box elements and deplore them or not is a separate issue, but Destiny hasn't lived for three years on "gun feel."

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
There are a bazillion Skinner box games but only one has an extremely satisfying and responsive combat loop based on the halo2 engine , hth

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're going to make a skinner box post, please put skinner box in the first sentence so I can get an early warning to mash the abort button and escape to another thread.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Akuma posted:

You don't play the same game every day for two and a half years purely because of "gun feel."

As incorrect as can be. I wanted a shooter and while I like a lot else, without the gun feel I would have quit upon completion of content and wouldn't have spent any additional money or played any additional releases. And I spent a lot, because the gun feel cannot be matched. Simple as that.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Post isn't edit.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 21, 2017

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

sunday at work posted:

It has. There are better Skinner Boxes, there are better RPGs, and there are better loot games. There is no other live console shooter that feels like Destiny.

Maybe the Reddit crowd actually cares about filling in the circles or whatever but around here the game is a fun way to play with your friends and the shooting is the gameplay. And the game persists because that gameplay is unparalleled.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Gun feel is the primary reason I have stuck with this game so long. There is just nothing else on the market that feels so well tuned. Having a real and distinct variety of enemies really help too; this game has much more interesting to shoot enemies than just generic, samey bad guys like in The Division where every encounter is basically identical.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Akuma posted:

Nah that's bullshit. You play it for other reasons you just can't or don't want to articulate. You don't play the same game every day for two and a half years purely because of "gun feel."

Have you done the raids? Have you filled any activity book nodes? Have you completed dozens of quests? Do you stop playing other activities to play Iron Banner when it comes around?

Unless the answer to all of those is "no" then you're being lazy and/or reductive.

The gun feel makes it engaging moment to moment. The rest is what keeps people playing. Whether you recognise the Skinner box elements and deplore them or not is a separate issue, but Destiny hasn't lived for three years on "gun feel."

This game has too much content

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

The 9 different subclasses and 3 different "jumps" adds a lot of variety too. As a whole the subclasses are balanced and have unique playstyles, nothing feels broken.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Rip bladedancer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

texaholic posted:

The 9 different subclasses and 3 different "jumps" adds a lot of variety too. As a whole the subclasses are balanced and have unique playstyles, nothing feels broken.

At least until Bungie takes a look at the usage percentages and are all "woahhhhh hold on kids, too many of you are using this thing!"

And now tripmines can't stick to enemies.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Old Swerdlow posted:

Gun feel is the primary reason I have stuck with this game so long. There is just nothing else on the market that feels so well tuned. Having a real and distinct variety of enemies really help too; this game has much more interesting to shoot enemies than just generic, samey bad guys like in The Division where every encounter is basically identical.

My friend have you played against the hunter AI?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

xzzy posted:

I miss that poo poo, I got p good with the tricky sticky

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

My friend have you played against the hunter AI?
which is also used by LMB in the Legendary missions

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why the hell did they do Discipline instead of Dexterity. Int/dex/str are RPG staples and dexterity seems relevant to throwing a thing.

Ugh I wanna throw this hand grenade but I just lack the discipline

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why the hell did they do Discipline instead of Dexterity. Int/dex/str are RPG staples and dexterity seems relevant to throwing a thing.

Ugh I wanna throw this hand grenade but I just lack the discipline

https://youtu.be/HBc11OTs80I

It's fine.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

xzzy posted:

Destiny 2 will not be open world.

Its actually going to be a world of tanks clone where you can get out and use your supers to destroy enemy tanks.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Roman posted:

which is also used by LMB in the Legendary missions

Yeah save for the medics at the end of warrengate always breaking down and some issues with spawn points in survival it's extremely good.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Destiny 2 is just gonna be a wasteland and you don't get guns you get bibles and you go around preaching the wonders of our lord and savior Jesus Chnnnthr'nyarim.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Outside of a fee egregious examples bungie got weapons balancing and class balancing pretty well right.

None of the pve encounters are that hard that with the subclass changes you cant get them done without minor extra work and just loving lol if you cant.

Their issues was smashing entire archetypes in the nerf bat and rather than giving viable alternatives to players.

Some decisions they made were good and a lot were bad but i trust the dev team over the live team to get it mostly right based on the poo poo we've gone through.

Just hope they improve the tick rate and match making algorithms because goddamn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The tick rate is a pretty big deal because it really limits the flexibility of the weapons. If a 0.8 second TTK is overpowered and a 1.0 TTK is a "bad gun" they only have four or five frames of wiggle room to balance every single archetype into.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That's true and one of the big reasons other games are being looked at harshly due to lack of (CSGO)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also if tick rate meant "How often Patrick Warburton shows up at your house as the Tick." Then pump that poo poo to 11 homie

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I hope Destiny 2 finally lets us gently caress the guns

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

At least until Bungie takes a look at the usage percentages and are all "woahhhhh hold on kids, too many of you are using this thing!"

Nerfs to bladedancer where stupid and unnecessary but the sticky tripmine grenade was kinda stupid. None of the other "stick" grenades stick to people. They weren't OP though and was probably a mistake bungie just took forever to fix. Tripmine grenades are still pretty good in their current state.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

HAT FETISH posted:

Can't wait to stick this up my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

HAT FETISH posted:

Buddy they don't even let me gently caress the guns

• Locked thread