Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

A pic from a few years ago at Uwharrie nat'l forest. This was when the troop had 35's and no lift, just some sawzall and a little sledge:

Here's one from the initial flex test, post SAS:

Now she's just sitting in the driveway, waiting to be finished :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
What is the difference between the Explorer and Jeep hubs? I am pretty sure at least the hubs on my Explorer have bit the dust. I'm not going to beat on it, but I'd like to get 4WD working again.

I don't know what else is broken too. It shifts into 4Hi but not 4Lo (at least the 4Hi light comes on, no 4Lo). Would broken automatic hubs prevent me from going into 4Lo? I think my transfer case actuator slipped off.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Are you following the 4lo procedure? Truck in neutral, foot on the brake, then hit the 4lo button?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yep. Unless the procedure is specifically three steps: neutral, then brake, then 4Lo, which I don't think I've tried.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
If it goes into 4hi just fine and powers the front wheels then i would say you have a problem with the shift motor. If you can put it on jackstands and have someone put it into 4lo following the proper procedure and smack the shift motor with a hammer a couple times it should free it up.

I did my buddies truck just sitting on the ground in neutral but jack stands would be much safer in the getting run over department.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I got stuck once thinking I had 4WD but it wasn't working properly. 4Hi light on, front wheels have no power. The hubs seemed to be on the verge of death before that, so I don't know if it is the hubs, transfer case, or both.

It puzzles me because the shift motor screwing up is a common problem, but I've never heard of it not shifting to 4Lo. It either works completely or not at all (no 4Hi).

I plan on seeing to the motor when it warms up a little. I need to replace my transmission fluid, so I'll look at that at the same time.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Can us OHV guys play too?

Getting my Kawasaki KLF185-A4 stuck in a little mudhole:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XWQD_Cug3Gk

Yamaha Kodiak gets stuck in the same spot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBdGP68AIyw

Tevin on his Yamaha YFZ450Z and Willie on his Yamaha WF450F climbing a little hill:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3l-tloDqN74

Multiple passes through our little mudhole:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nOBql8r6Mz0

More passes through our little mudhole:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xpydeyLY-M8

I get stuck and fall in the mud:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=83BCEpAMynA

Kevin on his son's Honda TRX90EX avoids the mud:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=04Ri_IGOOjo

Willie on my KLF185 lives up to the mantra "You're not stuck if you get yourself out!":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IuJTrKCHdI

I was thinking about starting an OHV megathread. Any interest?

titler
Feb 18, 2005
Is this dirty enough? Here's some of what we did this weekend:

Next weekend we'll be draining the diffs/transfer case/transmission...

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
We decided to take my old Tracker and and budget lift it for Wellsville. I had a 3" calmini suspension lift but i sold it to a friend so we're going with 2" homemade suspension and 3" homemade body lift. I'm gonna stuff 31's under it some tube bumpers and hack off anything in the way of the tires. It's not gonna be a road driver so losing anything not needed just to clear the tires isn't a problem.

Old picture from '05

I was going to scrap it but honestly it runs and drives good so might as well turn it into a trail truck since it was basically free anyways.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
Buy an old Suzuki Samurai front axle and leaf springs and put it under that Tracker.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
My old Samurai is still in my buddies barn. I was thinking about pulling the axles and suspension but it depends on how much work we feel like doing.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Jack_Handey posted:

Buy an old Suzuki Samurai front axle and leaf springs and put it under that Tracker.

Wouldn't be worth the trouble. If you are going through the trouble of an axle swap, might as well put something under there that will last a little while (toyota 8" or waggy d44's).

Throw a locker in the rear and with the rest of your plan it will be a super fun beater/sleeper.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My manager called in to work today (I'm doing an apprenticeship at a bodyshop) so I went and ran Broken Arrow, Soldier's Pass, and Greasy Spoon with a friend.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
A buddy of mine is a welder by trade so he's just going to weld the rear end for me. I can weld pretty good but it's not my profession and he gets paid a lot of money to do it so i trust his welds more than mine. This is an exercise in cheapness with a basically free truck.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Paulie posted:

waggy d44's

Toucan Sam loves these

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Toucan Sam loves these

LOL, the single one i found in my state is not going in a Tracker. Did you get your hubs on yet? Let me know how they turn out.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Na, I haven't bought hubs yet. I'm not going to pull anything apart for a while because it is my DD, and I don't want to ride the bus because I am an American. It probably wouldn't take too long to do, but I'm always afraid of running into trouble somewhere that will prevent me from finishing in a timely manner.

Besides, there is no point in changing the hubs until I figure out what the deal with my transfer case is.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I just ordered this.

It's the Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch and if my Aussie locker ever comes back in stock for my rear 8.8 it's next on my list. I will have my new front bumper welded up and mounted the 22nd and i'm hoping to have my locker by then also.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Pacific Rim Job posted:

yar wrangler be have too many doors! :haw:

anyway...

oh XJ, how I miss thee :(

one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 8, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Toucan Sam posted:

I just ordered this.

It's the Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch and if my Aussie locker ever comes back in stock for my rear 8.8 it's next on my list. I will have my new front bumper welded up and mounted the 22nd and i'm hoping to have my locker by then also.
I've heard very good things about it..... and it's cheap as gently caress. Let me know how it does. :)

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I ordered from http://www.4wheelparts.com/ and paid 317 with tax. Free shipping so it wasn't worth my gas to drive up and pick it up. It's a rebranded mile marker so it's a tough winch. A couple of my friend have them and they swear by it. I'll get some pics and a trip report after the 22nd when my bumper goes on. My bumper is getting welded on and built to the frame along with the crumple zones in the front of the frame plated over to make sure the horns don't go anywhere.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Toucan Sam posted:

I ordered from http://www.4wheelparts.com/ and paid 317 with tax. Free shipping so it wasn't worth my gas to drive up and pick it up. It's a rebranded mile marker so it's a tough winch. A couple of my friend have them and they swear by it. I'll get some pics and a trip report after the 22nd when my bumper goes on. My bumper is getting welded on and built to the frame along with the crumple zones in the front of the frame plated over to make sure the horns don't go anywhere.

Wow - I wish you could get winches that cheaply over here! I really fancy one just for emergencies for the front of my landrover.
I bought a 2nd hand tirfor hand winch, but i think it would kill me to move 3 tons of truck with it!

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

99% of the driving you do in these is boring but when you get to go mudding it's a blast. 4wheel/8wheel, 35s, and a 30,000lb winch. I've gotten almost stuck once on a 100yd mudpit that was at one point a road in Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZOwurN8Ak

I cant wait to get a Jeep when I get back to school.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Pacific Rim Job posted:

Next weekend we'll be draining the diffs/transfer case/transmission...

Not dirty enough! I need to get some pics of my rubi up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Wow - I wish you could get winches that cheaply over here! I really fancy one just for emergencies for the front of my landrover.
I bought a 2nd hand tirfor hand winch, but i think it would kill me to move 3 tons of truck with it!
The Champion winches that you can get come in pretty cheap - you can get an 8000lb for £250inc vat, and the 6000lb for £150+vat.

The reviews I've read seem to rate them, and I'd certainly be tempted for that kind of money. I'll probably buy a Tirfor-style hand winch first, though.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

An SVT Focus is not the ideal off road vehicle.

My friend thought it would be a good idea to go down this road after it had been raining for a few days. By the time he got it out the undercarriage had been dragged on the ground for at least 200ft.

And there's video: Part 1 and Part 2.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

SFH1989 posted:

An SVT Focus is not the ideal off road vehicle.

Part 2.

This was truly amusing for a good long time. Thank you, I needed that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tirfors suck arse in terms of energy expenditure, but you cant winch your truck sideways off the sliders when its about to fall off the edge of a track with a leccy winch easily!

its also really hard to winch bacwkards with a front mounted winch- they have their place though!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

SFH1989 posted:

Good god, they're like little baby birds. Have you guys never been stuck in any sort of vehicle before?

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Nope, I think this was a first for all of us. It didn't help that most of the undercarriage was sitting on the ground so the thing wouldn't budge.

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur
i enjoy taking my bronco off road, i dont really do much else with it because of its wonderful gas milage...

i had an electronic controlled transfer case that never work, so i got stuck in mud alot, but i got a manual shift transfer case and havnt been stuck since

i went up a hill to fast and there was a ditch on the other side, cracked the frame and bent the chassis. bought a another truck with a dying engine and swapped the 351 windsor over

snow is a whole lot of fun

all ive really done to it is put the 351 in it and a 6 inch lift with 35x12.5 tires on it
in the future i plan to convert it to a manual transmission

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Nice bronco, i'm looking to buy another one myself to use as a dedicated mud truck. It's too big to take most trails i go to but it would be great for running mud.

I got the bumper and winch on my Exploder over the weekend, already used it a few times doing stupid poo poo that i wouldn't have done if i didn't have a stinger and winch. There's a 4wheeler hill that i always wanted to go down but i couldn't get up it due to the angle. Now that i have my bumper i can get up and down it. Down is still real scary but i'm not as scared of flipping straight over on my roof.

Here are the pics from when it was finished, the builder took these in his garage. I'll have to get some of my own in the next couple days.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

Captain Crabsticks posted:

hey legacy offroading buddy

my contribution

has a ghetto lock switch for the center diff, rear lsd (cant find a front one :( ) , and 215 widths on 15's to the 165 on 14's stock. throwing a new trans in next week (fried center and front diffs) and a lift/bigger struts in the next few months so i can get some real mud on it.

also- anyone have some outback or forester struts for cheap?

I don't have any spare parts, but my WRX also sees a lot of off-road action.

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur

Toucan Sam posted:

I got the bumper and winch on my Exploder over the weekend, already used it a few times...

thats the next thing on the to do list after i get new tires, a winch would have come in handy on more than a few occasions

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
I've been wanting to get a 4x4 for a while to replace my old K5 while still using my WRX as a daily driver. Is there any way to get some super cheap "this is my fun-mobile" insurance on an older truck/jeep?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So 4x4 goons, I offer you this deal. If you're willing to remove it (i.e., tow it off the property and home - it's a roller), my co-worker has a 1988 Jeep Wagoneer that he would like to dispose of. I'll grab some pictures if someone is interested.

Here's the good:
- Dana 44 axles
- Crate motor (4.0 I believe) was installed in 2000

The body is rotten as well as the fuel tank. The truck will run if you pour fuel down the intake manifold - the coworker is one of the old timey guys willing to try that. In fact, that's how he moved it behind his garage last time.

Anyways, it's about 45minutes west of London, Ontario.
The price? $500.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'd rather not craigslist it since I'd appreciate some goon ripping it apart and making a cool project/thread out of it.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

Meaty Potato posted:

I've been wanting to get a 4x4 for a while to replace my old K5 while still using my WRX as a daily driver. Is there any way to get some super cheap "this is my fun-mobile" insurance on an older truck/jeep?

I had my Toyota 4x4 pickup insured as a leisure vehicle since I only used it for camping, biking and trail riding. I think I was limited to 8k miles a year or something like that, and I was supposed to bring in recipes from oil changes to prove my mileage every few months, which was impossible since I change my own oil. They never questioned me about it however. Lots of hot rodders have similar insurance for their non-primary vehicles.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Glad to see some cars showing up in the thread. It doesn't matter what you drive. All that matters is that you have fun.

Sadly I had to cancel my last off road trip because an acquaintance of mine died car surfing so my friends parents freaked out about cars and wouldn't let the younger guys that had asked me to take them come along. So we had to cancel the trip.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Glad to see some cars showing up in the thread. It doesn't matter what you drive. All that matters is that you have fun.

Sadly I had to cancel my last off road trip because an acquaintance of mine died car surfing so my friends parents freaked out about cars and wouldn't let the younger guys that had asked me to take them come along. So we had to cancel the trip.
Bugger me, that's a bit poo poo.

I was considering going to a pay & play day on Sunday, but I'll probably go to the one that's on in a fortnight instead (closer to payday, in case I bust something, basically). So, no pictures of the Frontera off-road quite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sseville
Jun 27, 2005
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Figured I'd share pictures of my recent exploits into the off roading realm.

For reference I drive a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 limited with General Grabber AT2 tires as the only off highway mods. Nonetheless, onto the pics.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/11/11f4399107cfb98262302e786359094a2acf5842.jpg
.....front left

https://wi.somethingawful.com/7d/7d802ee4fedd60033611f5a96f12ea45abb6dc69.jpg
.....front right

https://wi.somethingawful.com/74/740357db7fac2b59a9d9f7f1fa43d00fb7797c7a.jpg
.....side view

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ac/accfca3de2436a9afa056e826da266334edbd0bb.jpg
.....roof view

http://img.waffleimages.com/3e88135f493199e4731bcc63460b83285fc152b8/jeep%20low%20pipe%20view.jpg
.....tail pipe view