Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

jerkstore77 posted:

Wherever they decide to do GTA 5, my wish for the series has always been for them to recreate the actual streets of the various cities. Like you could take a map of the game and overlay it onto google maps and it'd be exactly the same. Imagine the game being played on the actual Vegas strip. I dont know if current technology can support this though.

I don't know if it was 1:1 but the LA in True Crime was boring and annoying. I always thought creative license would be a much better approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

jerkstore77 posted:

Wherever they decide to do GTA 5, my wish for the series has always been for them to recreate the actual streets of the various cities. Like you could take a map of the game and overlay it onto google maps and it'd be exactly the same. Imagine the game being played on the actual Vegas strip. I dont know if current technology can support this though.
I do like Rockstar doing their own cities that are just inspired by real cities and have some of the same streets and landmarks but they can design the city itself based around gameplay. I'd rather keep the GTA series like that, but on the other hand I loved having more accurate streets in the first Driver game, and didn't care at all that I couldn't get out of the car back then. I thought Driver 3 was going to be the best of both worlds but all the reviews were kind of bad so I never checked it out.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just want them to remake GTA2. Lightning guns and soylent hotdogs and the globe-spanning Zaibatsu, as well as the coolest loving mission in any GTA game. Commit crimes to get taken to federal prison island to steal a car to help a high up in the Redneck gang escape by ramping yourself from an island onto the mainland only to have a high speed car chase through a trailer park.

God GTA2 was a good game.

e: I'm pretty sure I've posted this exact post in the leadup threads for both GTA4 and San Andreas :negative:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dr Snofeld posted:

I barely listened to any other stations than KChat and VCPR

VCPR is loving amazing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sholin posted:

Are there any good solutions for playing 3/VC windowed? SA has a DX9 proxy DLL, but the other games use DX8, and forcing it windowed with 3danalyzer just doesn't work.

(I like to multitask :()

You could give D3DWindower a go, I think I remember reading people got the GTA games to work with it. You can get a (partly translated) english version here.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Whalley posted:

I just want them to remake GTA2. Lightning guns and soylent hotdogs and the globe-spanning Zaibatsu, as well as the coolest loving mission in any GTA game. Commit crimes to get taken to federal prison island to steal a car to help a high up in the Redneck gang escape by ramping yourself from an island onto the mainland only to have a high speed car chase through a trailer park.

God GTA2 was a good game.

e: I'm pretty sure I've posted this exact post in the leadup threads for both GTA4 and San Andreas :negative:

I feel ya. GTA2 is one of the best in the series, no doubt. I should look into the GTA classics on steam.

I played GTA3 on pc for a bit once and...the shooting controls are great, but the driving feels like such a step back. It's either backwards or forwards here. I'd love to be able to use a controller with the same shooting controls on top of the standard car controls with a controller. Either you play the console versions with bad aiming and good driving, or the pc versions with good aiming and bad driving.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Personally I don't really care in which direction GTA V goes, I enjoy a freeroaming game with lots of side missions and unlockables just as much as I do a tightly written one that focuses on the story missions. What I'm pretty tired of is the recent habit of Rockstar games to walk you through missions by very specific checkpoints. In GTA III your only mission objective sometimes would be "kill this guy" and you could snipe him from the rooftops, ram him off the road or set an ambush at this travel destination, whatever you wanted as long as it resulted in this guy getting killed; recent Rockstar mission design has you basically run through a series of narrowly defined, focused challenges with mostly little variation - drive there, handle this shootout, drive over there - and even if you as a player can think of a more efficient way to fulfill the actual task the game pretty much goes "gently caress you buddy I call the shots here, now park right over there and show me you still know how to sound your horn." And of course it doesn't help that the actions the game makes you go through, the protagonists' actions during cutscenes, the protagonists' supposed motivations, and the stuff you as a player would like to do are often widly inconsistent.

Completely agree, but this type of mission design goes hand in hand with a highly focused tight narrative. The two styles go hand in hand.

Also, I'm sick of the overwrought dialogue. It seems like after every mission brief in GTAIV or Red Dead Redemption, the characters end up yapping for hours and hours about non sensical poo poo that doesn't really matter or even develop them as characters.

Sure, in past GTA's, there would be talk. But it was usually just a line or two to help flesh out the mission and add character, it wasn't minutes at a time of dialogue with you sitting in a car or on a horse doing nothing but simply listening to dialogue.

Playing Chinatown was a breath of fresh air. No overwrought stories, no excessive length, just simplicity at its finest. There's nothing wrong with simplicity, and just because you can afford to pay actors to cite 50,000 lines of dialogue doesn't mean you should.

GTA games need an editor.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 7, 2011

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Convex posted:

You could give D3DWindower a go, I think I remember reading people got the GTA games to work with it. You can get a (partly translated) english version here.

I think I'm in love with you... this worked perfect, thanks a bunch.

If anyone else tries to use this, someone mixed up the width and height options, so do the opposite of what they say.

Edit: Also works on Bully... looks like it's going to be a weekend with my Rockstar games!

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 7, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Himuro posted:

GTA games need an editor.
They have one, you can skip the cut scenes if you hate stories. Even though somewhere inside all that dialogue they explain what it is you'll be doing on the mission, if you skip it entirely they'll still hold your hand through each step of what has to be done which makes the cut scenes entirely optional.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
He means a "level editor," you grade-A doof ball! And yeah, a level editor would own harder than anything else on earth...

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

davebo posted:

They have one, you can skip the cut scenes if you hate stories. Even though somewhere inside all that dialogue they explain what it is you'll be doing on the mission, if you skip it entirely they'll still hold your hand through each step of what has to be done which makes the cut scenes entirely optional.

The hand holding is atrocious though, and the dialogue is not skippable.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Polo-Rican posted:

He means a "level editor," you grade-A doof ball! And yeah, a level editor would own harder than anything else on earth...

Oh did he? I didn't realize the last sentence wasn't related to everything else about cut scenes being too long, but if he did then yeah I agree. That's why I love finding people who go around building huge structures to do stunts on at the airport. It increases the longevity of these games tenfold. Not even map editing but just the scripting for San Andreas is what lead to me sinking 1,000+ hours into the goon-run free roam and mmo servers. I just don't see lifespans like that on most PC titles nowadays, and never from unmodifiable console games.

Himuro posted:

The hand holding is atrocious though, and the dialogue is not skippable.
Oh I gotcha, you mean when they're just talking while you're already driving or riding somewhere, not the cut scenes. Yeah I guess if you'd rather just hear the radio that'd get bothersome. I had less problem with the talking and more just the cel phone popping up while I'm trying to make a turn or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LvK posted:

I'd like to see 1970s GTA, set around the Texas/Mexico border.

This would be amazing. I wish that GTAV video from april fools was real. Early 1970s, muscle cars, drugs. It would be amazing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What GTAV april fools video?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't find it anymore, but reddit had a list of april fools jokes in gaming. There was a video that was about GTAV and it was set in Texas and Mexico. I'm guessing it was just an edited RDR map.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I really miss the depth of poo poo to do from the San Andreas days. Territory control, Ambulance Missions, etc., as well as mentioned before, the variety of ways you could approach missions. I really hope to see more of that in GTAV. It would be great if they didn't do GFWL this time as well.

I have so many hours logged in San Andreas from all the poo poo you could do + SA-MP... good times...

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
FYI Tomorrow April 8th GTA4 will be $5.00 at direct2drive.com

excaza
Apr 7, 2011

Shinx posted:

I really miss the depth of poo poo to do from the San Andreas days. Territory control, Ambulance Missions, etc., as well as mentioned before, the variety of ways you could approach missions. I really hope to see more of that in GTAV. It would be great if they didn't do GFWL this time as well.

I have so many hours logged in San Andreas from all the poo poo you could do + SA-MP... good times...

I miss SA as well, I still fire up my xbox and play it occasionally, I dunno how many hundreds of hours I dumped in it. For me it had the perfect mix of everything, planes, boats, trains, parachutes, jet packs, so much fun to be had! I also much prefer the vehicle handling of SA over 4. Then there were the oysters, horseshoes, hidden packages, etc. <3

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Thread made me reinstall GTA4, which reminded me of something I really want to see in the PC version of GTA5: A serious reduction in how much DRM is loaded into it. Steam, GFWL, SecuROM, and their own little Social Club thing. Rockstar, nobody wants to steal your game -that- badly. :cmon:

Admittedly, the social club registration was made optional post-release, but it still pops up whenever you run GTA4. I'd be happy if they at least got rid of SecuROM.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Geight posted:

A serious reduction in how much DRM is loaded into it. Steam, GFWL, SecuROM, and their own little Social Club thing. Rockstar, nobody wants to steal your game -that- badly. :cmon:
What does steam have to do with it? GFWL was only used for multiplayer, and the social club was only used for uploading videos (Im guessing here, did anyone actually use the social club?). I dont really know what Securom does, but this was their first multiplayer GTA game, I don't blame them for wanting to step security up a little bit. I've had to reinstall at least 10 times, and Ive never had any trouble even though Im using the DVD.

They realized no one likes the social club, they tried their best to get rid of it but Im guessing that it was too hard to completely remove it from the game, since it was coded in that you need to be signed in to play online.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cage posted:

What does steam have to do with it? GFWL was only used for multiplayer, and the social club was only used for uploading videos (Im guessing here, did anyone actually use the social club?).

I think it's mostly the fact that you have to sign in to literally 3 different programs in order to even play the singleplayer portion of the game. God help you if they all get updates all at the same time.

They did try to remove Social Club, though, but there's no forgiveness for GFWL.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mutata posted:

I think it's mostly the fact that you have to sign in to literally 3 different programs in order to even play the singleplayer portion of the game. God help you if they all get updates all at the same time.

They did try to remove Social Club, though, but there's no forgiveness for GFWL.
3? GFWL and Social Club. Steam doesn't count since that only depends if you bought it on steam, and even if you did you can still run it independently of steam.

Ive never had any problems with GFWL, either. Yeah, it would be nice if it was steamworks but Id rather have GFWL than a no effort server browser like Crysis 2.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
You really should be using an edited xlive.dll if you're playing on the PC just to negate GFWL and the social club thing.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Himuro posted:

I feel ya. GTA2 is one of the best in the series, no doubt. I should look into the GTA classics on steam.

If were only talking GTA2 it's been freeware (along with the original) for a few years now.

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd love to see a GTA Twin Cities.

I lived in Minnesota for 15 years, and spent most of that in the Twin Cities, and I think it would be a great setting. The only issue I could see is that most of the crime in the Twin Cities is more corporate/business based then petty thugs and gangs, but they could probably figure something out.

I mean, it would be two cities that are literally right next to each other, so it would give them reason to make a larger map, and it would be hilarious to have a mission where a 4-6 foot blizzard just happened, and your Eastern European gangbanger has to figure out how to drive around in the countryside in blizzard conditions while getting shot at by some petty thugs.

And the Mall of America!

Sadly it will never happen, and they'll just keep rehashing the cities they have, but still.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.
I don't understand the GTA IV hate. I guess I am just much more a fan of the "serious" approach they took with it than most established GTA fans.

I thought a lot of the characters were done really well, too. I was impressed with Mikhail Faustin in the first act. He plunged deeper into his own drug-addled insanity as time went on and was so archaic in his bloodlust. Ray Boccino, Billy Grey (the shouting match between him and Johnny at the very begging of TLAD sucked me right in), and Gay Tony were great too.

The disconnect between the gameplay and the characterization in the cutscenes did bother me a bit, though. Especially with Niko. The first time I played it, I shot to injure and tried to take less-lethal and more methodical approaches.

Except in that warehouse when they kidnap Roman.

NO ONE FUCKS WITH MY FAMILY :black101:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Why is it so hard to separate what the character does and what the player does? Should every open-world sandbox crime game have a deranged psychopath as its protagonist? Or should they make it so the morally conflicted, tired-of-it-all, unsure-about-his-life protagonist is literally unable to kill non-targets?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why is it so hard to separate what the character does and what the player does? Should every open-world sandbox crime game have a deranged psychopath as its protagonist? Or should they make it so the morally conflicted, tired-of-it-all, unsure-about-his-life protagonist is literally unable to kill non-targets?

Actual rewards for players for picking a path and altering the story to support these moral choices would be preferable. For example, in Infamous, you have a dark path and a light path. Make it function like a western rpg, basically.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
But then people bitch about morality choices.

Video games: everyone wants everything at the same time

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Geight posted:

Thread made me reinstall GTA4, which reminded me of something I really want to see in the PC version of GTA5: A serious reduction in how much DRM is loaded into it. Steam, GFWL, SecuROM, and their own little Social Club thing. Rockstar, nobody wants to steal your game -that- badly. :cmon:

Admittedly, the social club registration was made optional post-release, but it still pops up whenever you run GTA4. I'd be happy if they at least got rid of SecuROM.

I bought GTA4 + the expansion ages after it came out on pc and didn't have any problems with it what so ever (graphics/performance wise or drm).

Reading back through people's opinions of it is sad because it clearly just needed more QA testing before it was released, the actual product itself was great.

I really hope rockstar releases the next one on pc even if we do have to wait for a while after the consoles.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 9, 2011

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Himuro posted:

VCPR is loving amazing.

I would give any ridiculous amount of real money for someone to produce a web series featuring Maurice Chavez and his horrible, horrible radio show. Holy poo poo was that always just the best stuff. Even the commercials were fantastic. Hell, the commercials in all of the GTA games are usually absolutely fantastic.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cojawfee posted:

This would be amazing. I wish that GTAV video from april fools was real. Early 1970s, muscle cars, drugs. It would be amazing.

I think one only needs watch 1972's "The Getaway" to get why I want this and how Rockstar could nail it.

I mean tons and tons of other great things to work with from that era but hey, it'd be unique.

Failing Texas, 1970s San Andreas would be cool I guess.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A GTA game set in the 70s would also have a ridiculously good soundtrack/radio. Queen, Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Who, Pink Floyd...Ok this needs to happen now.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Away all Goats posted:

A GTA game set in the 70s would also have a ridiculously good soundtrack/radio. Queen, Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Who, Pink Floyd...Ok this needs to happen now.

Parliament-Funkadelic, Lafayette Afro Rock Band, Babe Ruth, the Four Tops, Booker T and the MGs, Sly and the Family Stone... I agree.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
San Andreas will always hold a place in my heart that no sandbox game will ever displace, because that is basically going through life in Southern California in the early 90s, something I lived through. No it's not a 1:1 recreation but there are definitely places in the game where I can say "I've been there!" From elements of Orange County, to Los Angeles, to a loving graveyard in Las Vegas where one of my friends is buried. And while I wasn't in the worst neighborhood, there were still occasional gangs and drive-bys and crips playing ball in our driveway so it's a culture I'm familiar with that I don't think has been recreated that faithfully in a video game. The only thing the game was missing was Theo (although Julio G is a good touch).

With all that said I think people are too hard on GTA IV. For any problems or issues I have with Rockstar games, I think the thing they're really great at is direction. No, it isn't Hollywood quality or the type of hyperbole that game journalists sometimes use, but GTA IV has good story telling elements, and a city that I at least enjoyed loving around with. And all the improvements they made in gameplay with Lost and Damned, Gay Tony and Red Dead make me really hopeful for 5.

I just didn't miss the wackiness (it was neither here nor there for me) and I was fine with Saints Row 2 filling that gap. Although apparently Saints Row 3 is going to go more serious which will piss off the "people who like their sandbox games wacky" lot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah, if anything Saints Row 3 is going to go even more nuts than Saints Row 2. To wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmhX2AKI8Y

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nah, if anything Saints Row 3 is going to go even more nuts than Saints Row 2. To wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmhX2AKI8Y

The best game trailer I've ever seen.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rookersh posted:

I'd love to see a GTA Twin Cities.
You're drat right it'll never happen. Nobody anywhere gives a poo poo about anything that happens in Minnesota, not even most people in Minnesota. A girl I used to work with was from Minneapolis; she called the state "the great frozen beige."

Why would you want to inflict Minnesota on anyone? Why do you hate everyone?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Before GTA, you ask anyone outside the us who doesnt care about it (ie: my parents) what areas they know of and you're going to get NY, Miami, Vegas, LA, San francisco, Florida & Texas.
Maybe washington. Maybe boston. I doubt they'd ever set one anywhere else. Same as you'd never get an open world game set in the north of the uk. It's london or bust.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Joink posted:

FYI Tomorrow April 8th GTA4 will be $5.00 at direct2drive.com

Not seeing it, it's still $20. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
GTA in Baltimore, Maryland. Let me have my GTA take on The Wire! Okay, that sounds legitimately awful, nevermind.

That Awful Nick posted:

I would give any ridiculous amount of real money for someone to produce a web series featuring Maurice Chavez and his horrible, horrible radio show. Holy poo poo was that always just the best stuff. Even the commercials were fantastic. Hell, the commercials in all of the GTA games are usually absolutely fantastic.

"Tim, they've got your wife!"

"But I'm not married..."

"You are now... to America!"

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 8, 2011

• Locked thread