Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Isn't that almost a backward step for him? Bundesliga is a better league, currently, than Serie A and going from a bottom-rung team in the former to a bottom-rung team in the latter isn't exactly making career progress. It almost would have been better to join a Russian team like Spartak so he could have gotten European football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

LYE-OONS posted:

Isn't that almost a backward step for him? Bundesliga is a better league, currently, than Serie A and going from a bottom-rung team in the former to a bottom-rung team in the latter isn't exactly making career progress. It almost would have been better to join a Russian team like Spartak so he could have gotten European football.

its more of a sideways step, more importantly is he is going to be getting regular weekly first time play at a high level. Bradley wasn't getting that with Gladbach anymore. A handful of European games isn't as important as playing in a top league weekly, Serie A isn't much if any of a step down from the Bundesliga and is much better than moving to Russia.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Jozy scored in his debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdtgPVYAQ0

Check out the first two goals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxw0qOvhRE&feature=related

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Jozy is going to score 20+ goals this season

Convinced the Dutch league is the perfect place for him at this point in his development. Hopefully he gets regular game time with AZ.

Rapportus
Oct 31, 2004
The 4th Blue Man

Suqit posted:

I don't know where to post this but there used to be a thread but it's old and I can't be bothered to make a new one but Uverse has both FSC and GolTV in HD now. I literally screamed and did a dance when I discovered that this morning.

:slick:

Holy awesome, thank you for pointing this out.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

Why do we do friendlies against Mexico? I know they're our best measuring stick, but it just seems weird to do a friendly against your chief rival all the time. I've never understood it.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Irish Thunder posted:

Why do we do friendlies against Mexico? I know they're our best measuring stick, but it just seems weird to do a friendly against your chief rival all the time. I've never understood it.

Money.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Prediction: Klinsmann's attacking philosophy will quickly make an impact.

USA 4
MEX 6

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Also, I guess Chivas USA is pursuing Freddy as a DP.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.

Irish Thunder posted:

Outside of money, up until recently our regional competition hasn't been that great.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Per @ussoccer, we're wearing red tonight, with starters 1-11, which is nice and cute and traditional and all except

blog posted:

Numbers will be only thing printed on the jersey, which means no names on the back

I get that tradition, but I hate it; I like that we just about always put names on the back, because that way you can tell who's doing what without a program.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Hoover Dam posted:

Per @ussoccer, we're wearing red tonight, with starters 1-11, which is nice and cute and traditional and all except

I get that tradition, but I hate it; I like that we just about always put names on the back, because that way you can tell who's doing what without a program.

Honestly I feel all teams sports shouldn't have names on the back, but especially National teams. You are representing your country, it shouldn't be about individual players.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Should be fine for the national team, I'd think. Not so much with college soccer when you have no idea who's on the field.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

As long as Klinsmann doesn't wear a track suit.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hoover Dam posted:

quote:

When then lineups are posted later this evening, fans will notice a distinct pattern to the jersey numbers. Going back to an historical tradition, Jurgen Klinsmann will assign the numbers 1-11 to the starters each game, and 12-18 for the reserves.

Numbers will be only thing printed on the jersey, which means no names on the back. One of the main goals is to make sure that everyone is focused on the most important thing on the uniform - the crest representing the United States.

Silly US Soccer, don't draw attention to it!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
So when the team does lovely, we call for a complete overhaul, right? All for one and one for all type of thing. There is no I in USA!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hoover Dam posted:

Yea I can see how confusing it will be for a paid announcer.

"Uh, uh, the bald guy with the huge head passes to the black guy, I think it's Landon Donovan...uh"

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Getting ready to head down to the stadium for the match. Gonna scream a lot and hopefully not have any piss thrown at me. :hehe:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea I can see how confusing it will be for a paid announcer.

"Uh, uh, the bald guy with the huge head passes to the black guy, I think it's Landon Donovan...uh"
Paid announcers should know players by sight. And even if they dont they will have been given a roster listing early enough to have memorized players by number.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Suqit posted:

Paid announcers should know players by sight. And even if they dont they will have been given a roster listing early enough to have memorized players by number.

Ya, but this is American soccer. You know that won't happen.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I haven't heard about this anywhere except for Ives, but Robbie Findley scored today in a Carling Cup game. It was his first professional goal in just over a year. Hooray!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Call him up, Bob Jurgen!

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Hoover Dam posted:

Eh... if they're numbered 1-11 you don't really need a program to know who's doing what. Random numbers with no names is annoying though, agreed.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Suqit posted:

Paid announcers aren't always audible on the tv at a bar viewing.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I never want to see Robbie Findley ever again ever.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Hoover Dam posted:

Paid announcers aren't always audible on the tv at a bar viewing.
I have a hard time imagining you not recognizing players. Even on a tv at a bar.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Howard; Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Jones, Beckerman; Donovan, Bradley, Torres; Buddle

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Buddle are you making GBS threads me

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Come on Buddle

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Suqit posted:

I have a hard time imagining you not recognizing players. Even on a tv at a bar.

Me, no, though if Castillo rang my doorbell right now I wouldn't recognize him. New fans, however--you gotta remember everyone starts watching somewhere.

So anyway here's that 1-11
Howard; Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Jones, Beckerman; Donovan, Bradley, Torres; Buddle

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Edson Buddle is Going to Own

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

:woop: Torres :woop:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I can't even really sum up a reason why but I like Buddle. :unsmith:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I can't even really sum up a reason why but I like Buddle. :unsmith:

You can't sum up a reason because there isn't one. He's Not Very Good.™

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Tigren posted:

You can't sum up a reason because there isn't one. He's Not Very Good.™

I have selective amnesia due to the new coaching change. How long will this hope last...

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I like this lineup. Maybe it's more apropos to say there is no one I hate in this lineup.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

He scores goals, aligns the stars, etc.

He's Not Great™ but hey, I mean, I don't know.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

No Brek Shea, lineup is bad

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

No Brek Shea, lineup is bad

Hair quota exceeded with Beckerman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Finally Buddle gets a start.

• Locked thread