Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The problem is the Wronged is still not quite specific enough. Like, the Wronged wants to kill all draculas because draculas killed their loved ones. The Bride/Revenger/Vengant/Fuckee wants to hunt down and kill Dracula, singular. Probably by slicing up Dracula's dracula minions, but they don't give a poo poo if they kill all the minions or not. They just want to Kill Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm honestly glad people are so into this playbook since it motivates me to actually finish the drat thing. And I'm kind of leaning towards "The Revenant" as a name now that I see it.

Winson_Paine posted:

But what I am sayin' is what moves would you NEED to be driven by revenge? I am looking over the playbook and these work as well for Buffy the Vampire Slayer as they do The Bride. It is just a matter of attitude and spin. Unless I am missing something, which is probable.
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. It's not "you have these moves, therefore you are driven by revenge", it's "you are driven by revenge, therefore you have these moves". It's also a case of the moves being the..."manifestation" (for lack of a better word) of your quest for vengance.

And yes, the playbook can be applied to multiple characters. You could be Liam Neeson in "Taken", The Bride, or Lady from "Quick and the Dead". AW playbooks are actually pretty general; they're designed to be a framework to hang your character off. It's also possible to take moves from other playbooks to further customize things.

ThreeStep posted:

Or have the (full?) bonus come into effect only in the presence of the Fucker or a Lieutenant. Shrug off the mooks, go straight for the leader.
Like Doc Hawlkins said, that's pretty much NOT TO BE hosed WITH. There are a bunch of moves that could apply to The Revenant; the Battlebabe's "Merciless", the Gunlugger's "Battle Hardened", even the Faceless's "Rasputin". It's easier to just let the player take them as "get a move from another playbook" rather than reinventing the wheel.

Mr. Maltose posted:

The problem is the Wronged is still not quite specific enough. Like, the Wronged wants to kill all draculas because draculas killed their loved ones. The Bride/Revenger/Vengant/Fuckee wants to hunt down and kill Dracula, singular. Probably by slicing up Dracula's dracula minions, but they don't give a poo poo if they kill all the minions or not. They just want to Kill Dracula.
Exactly this.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
At long last, I can finally play Inigo Montoya with a gun. :black101:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

THE REVENANT v0.2

Apocalypse World is a dangerous place; we all know that. Violence is a way of life. Towns get attacked by gangs, warlords make examples, people take payment out of your hide and the hides of your loved ones. Monsters walk the ravaged earth, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.

You were supposed to be one of those bodies.

Maybe you weren't home when the attack happened. Maybe you weren't as dead as they thought. Maybe they just didn't give a poo poo about you and left you there standing in the ruins of your life.

It doesn't matter anymore. Your old life was burned to the ground, the ashes scattered to the wind.

Only one thing matters now. Revenge. You're going to find the fucker responsible, and you're gonna put him down once and for all.

There is no one more dangerous than someone with nothing left to lose.

LOOK
Man, woman, ambiguous
Tattered wear, bloody wear, symbolic wear
Dead eyes, rage-filled eyes, tired eyes, focused eyes
Slim body, ravaged body, muscular body

STATS (still very much not done)
Choose one set:
• Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-1 Sharp+1 Weird=0
• Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1
• Cool+2 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp-1 Weird=0
• Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+1

THE FUCKER
When you create your character, determine what terrible thing (The Incident) you survived and how you survived it. Did they raze your town and leave you for dead? Did their goons ride in, destroy and/or violate your family and leave everything in flames? Did they kill a loved one while you were away and now you're back?

The MC will then create a special Front for the guy responsible, hereafter known as "The Fucker". This Front is just like a normal Front, but with two exceptions.
1) The Fucker will have a few Lieutenants. There are guys who enforce the Target's agendas and do some of his dirty work. They'll all be tricky to get to, and probably have a gang or something you'll have to kill your way through. Lieutenants might be small Fronts on their own, too, but generally they'll be the threats of the Front.
2) The Fucker doesn't have a countdown clock. Instead, he has a Lead on you. Lead starts at 6. Every time you defeat a Lieutenant or learn an important bit of information about The Fucker, you reduce the Lead by one. When you confront The Fucker (violently or not), you take -Lead ongoing until one of you is defeated or withdraws from the scene in some fashion.

GEAR
You get:
• a memento of your old life
• a clue to the identity of The Fucker; part of his outfit, a blurry memory, whatever.
• 1 businesslike weapon
• fashion suitable to your look (you pick)
• oddments worth 1-barter.

Businesslike weapons (choose 1):
• sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
• 9mm (2-harm close loud)
• big knife (2-harm hand)

MOVES

You start with this one:
One step closer: When you confront The Fucker in some fashion (violent or not) and you get away alive, mark experience.

Pick 2 more:
This is between you and me: When you confront The Fucker or one of his lieutenants, roll +Hard. On a 10+ pick two, 7-9 pick one.
• You take +1 ongoing until they're defeated or run away.
• Nobody else will interfere on either side.
• They give away an important clue about The Fucker.
• You do 1-harm more damage against your opponent's gang.

I need your help: When you manipulate someone to help you get closer to The Fucker, roll +Hard instead of +Hot.

Best Served Cold: Something about spending Lead, or using Lead to modify something else. Increase Lead by 1 to _________.

Eyes on the Prize: When you arrive at a settlement you haven't been to in a while (or have never been to before) and ask around for leads on The Fucker, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, you get some info about The Fucker or one of his Lieutenants. On a 7-9, you get the info but word gets back to The Fucker or the local Lieutenant. On a miss, you get zilch and The Fucker's forces come looking for you.

No One Else!: When acting under fire due to the Fucker or his Lieutenants, or Helping Out someone currently being harmed by them, roll +Hard instead of +Cool. If you let The Fucker or the Lieutenant get away, increase Lead by 1 but both you and the person you're helping get +1Hx with each other.

Hx

On your turn, choose 1, 2, or all 3
• One of them found you (or what was left of you) after The Fucker's attack. Tell that player Hx+2.
• You think one of them might be working for The Fucker. Tell that player Hx-1.
• One of them helped you track down a lead to The Fucker. Tell that player Hx+1.

Tell everyone else Hx+1. What happened to you isn't exactly a secret, and everyone knows you're out for revenge.

On the others' turns, whatever number they tell you, give it -1 write it next to your character's name. You have a little trouble getting close to people ever since The Fucker ruined your life.

ADVANCES
• get +1hard (max hard+3)
• get +1hard (max weird+2)
• get +1cool (max cool+2)
• get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
• get +1weird (max weird+2)
• get a small gang
• get a move from another playbook
• decrease the Lead by 1
-----------------------
• get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
• retire your character (to safety)
• create a second character to play
• change your character to a new type
• choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
• advance the other 4 basic moves.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 23, 2012

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. It's not "you have these moves, therefore you are driven by revenge", it's "you are driven by revenge, therefore you have these moves". It's also a case of the moves being the..."manifestation" (for lack of a better word) of your quest for vengance.

I think part of my issue is I am mostly familiar with the core playbooks and my instinct from OTHER GAMES is to smoosh my characters into those molds rather than making brand new molds that don't need smooshing, I guess. I know there are a lot of limited edition or kickstarter only or otherwise restricted PBs (which is sort of weird to me) but is there a repository of any of the... open source ones? This is not a :filez: request but I (and I am guessing others) could use a depth of field here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

I think part of my issue is I am mostly familiar with the core playbooks and my instinct from OTHER GAMES is to smoosh my characters into those molds rather than making brand new molds that don't need smooshing, I guess.
*World books are weird because technically they're class-as-identity. If you're the Gunlugger, you're the dude with all the guns. But, unlike the normal class-as-identity baggage, in *World games it's a unique identity. Yeah, there are a lot of people in the world with a shitton of guns, but none of them are at the same level as the Gunlugger. None of them are NOT TO BE hosed WITH or are Insane-o like Drain-o. There are no other PC Gunluggers, no NPC Gunluggers. There is only one guy skilled enough to be the Gunlugger, and you're it.

And even then, there's a lot of leeway in the interpretation of the playbook. Yeah, a Gunlugger can just be a guy who likes shooting guns, but he could be a sniper, or a pistollero, or a quiet guy who explodes into violence.

That's what I'm going for with this playbook. The Revenant isn't just some guy whose family was killed, and he's not just a guy out for revenge. There are probably tons of guys like that in Apocalypse World. But the Revenant is the guy whose whole life was destroyed by someone, and is now laser-focused on taking that person down. It's become his identity, and he takes revenge to a level other people just can't (or won't) reach.

And again, there's still leeway in that concept. He could have been left for dead when his town was razed to the ground, but he could also be looking for the person who kidnapped his wife and kids and sold them as slaves. Or he could he could have been someone whose parents were killed in front of him when he was a kid, and has been training his whole life to get revenge.

quote:

I know there are a lot of limited edition or kickstarter only or otherwise restricted PBs (which is sort of weird to me) but is there a repository of any of the... open source ones? This is not a :filez: request but I (and I am guessing others) could use a depth of field here.
The LE and fan-made playbooks are generally up for open trade; the only one I know of that people don't trade is The Grotesque, which is by the guy who did Monsterhearts. It's not traded because he "charges" an act of social kindness for it, like donating to Doctors Without Borders or cooking brownies for the people in your apartment building.

Anyway, I thought this was in the OP but here is every LE and fan-made playbook I have except The Grotesque.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

2) The Fucker doesn't have a countdown clock. Instead, he has a Lead on you. Lead starts at 6. Every time you defeat a Lieutenant or learn an important bit of information about The Fucker, you reduce the Lead by one. When you confront The Fucker (violently or not), you take -Lead ongoing until one of you is defeated or withdraws from the scene in some fashion.

What does -Lead do? What does lowering your Lead actually do? What happens when you reach 0-Lead?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's what I'm going for with this playbook. The Revenant isn't just some guy whose family was killed, and he's not just a guy out for revenge. There are probably tons of guys like that in Apocalypse World. But the Revenant is the guy whose whole life was destroyed by someone, and is now laser-focused on taking that person down. It's become his identity, and he takes revenge to a level other people just can't (or won't) reach.

And again, there's still leeway in that concept. He could have been left for dead when his town was razed to the ground, but he could also be looking for the person who kidnapped his wife and kids and sold them as slaves. Or he could he could have been someone whose parents were killed in front of him when he was a kid, and has been training his whole life to get revenge.

I am slowly coming around to this concept, I think. So instead of being the martial arts rear end kicker who has been specialized into Revenge Man, you are the Revenge Man who has been specialized into being The Crow or whatever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The LE and fan-made playbooks are generally up for open trade; the only one I know of that people don't trade is The Grotesque, which is by the guy who did Monsterhearts. It's not traded because he "charges" an act of social kindness for it, like donating to Doctors Without Borders or cooking brownies for the people in your apartment building.

Anyway, I thought this was in the OP but here is every LE and fan-made playbook I have except The Grotesque.

I love that guy, he is awesome. I kind of wish he posted here. I saw his site and actually started planning what to do to get a paper copy.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What does -Lead do? What does lowering your Lead actually do? What happens when you reach 0-Lead?

"Take -x ongoing until y" means take a -x penalty to all of your rolls until condition y is met. So, him having Lead on you makes you worse at everything you do while he's around, and lowering your Lead lessens, and eventually eliminates, this penalty.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

I am slowly coming around to this concept, I think. So instead of being the martial arts rear end kicker who has been specialized into Revenge Man, you are the Revenge Man who has been specialized into being The Crow or whatever.
Bingo.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You take the Lead as a penalty to actions when confronting The Fucker. So if the Lead is 3, you take -3 ongoing.

Lowering your lead represents the process of working your way "up the ladder". Taking out The Fucker's support structure, his hands in the world, things like that.

When you reach 0-Lead, that's the point where you've everything you needed to do to confront The Fucker for the final showdown. You have the clarity of vision.

Of course, you can still try to confront him with, say, Lead-2. Of course, that means that you haven't done anything about one of his Lieutenants, or haven't studied him closely enough, so that could bite you in the rear end during the fight.

But if you've got Lead-2, you still might be able to take him out. Of course, you might need the help of some friends to watch your back. For all your work and preparation, are you still capable of reaching out to others for support?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rasamune posted:

"Take -x ongoing until y" means take a -x penalty to all of your rolls until condition y is met. So, him having Lead on you makes you worse at everything you do while he's around, and lowering your Lead lessens, and eventually eliminates, this penalty.
Think about characters in "revenge" movies where they have a specific person as a target.

The first time they confront the target, they're emotional. Angry. The wound is still fresh. So he fights poorly, screams and hollers, and the target just laughs and walks away. Because the guy wasn't ready yet.

So the guy trains. He prepares. He studies the target, his patterns, his operation. Tracks down and eliminates the people who support the target in one way or another. And slowly, piece by piece, step by step, he gets closer to the target. Reduces the Lead the target has on him.

Until eventually, he's done what needs to be done. He's learned the target's patterns. Eliminated his helpers. Destroyed his infrastructure. There's nothing left but the face to face. He's "caught up" to the target, eliminated the Lead he had.

The guy? The one hunting the target?

He's ready.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I'm loving the Revenant, but I'm thinking it contradicts two of the GM's principles: everyone is in crosshairs all the time and don't take away the character's poo poo. The first because you can't ever kill the Fucker or the character is forced to become someone else; second because the character has the Fucker in much the same way the Driver has his car, but the Revenant is built around destroying her own poo poo and goddamn if she won't accomplish it.

It may be minor, but it seems weird to me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm loving the Revenant, but I'm thinking it contradicts two of the GM's principles: everyone is in crosshairs all the time and don't take away the character's poo poo. The first because you can't ever kill the Fucker or the character is forced to become someone else; second because the character has the Fucker in much the same way the Driver has his car, but the Revenant is built around destroying her own poo poo and goddamn if she won't accomplish it.

It seems to me that defeating the Target and re-making yourself as a new archetype would be a big part of the draw of playing the character. The bride's story ended after she killed Bill, but she was the only player character in the movie. An AW Revenant in contrast has far more of a "support" group than she did; faux quotes because this IS AW after all and the Revenant's single-minded pursuit is sure to put somebody off.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Pushing into weird experimental art-game territory here, but what if you made two versions of the playbook? One for going after revenge and one you automatically switch to when vengeance is yours.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

HitTheTargets posted:

Pushing into weird experimental art-game territory here, but what if you made two versions of the playbook? One for going after revenge and one you automatically switch to when vengeance is yours.

Apocalypse World already has a mechanism for this: You just switch to another playbook.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

Yes, everyone should be in crosshairs, but even without taking The Revenant into account, you have to make special allowances for Fronts. It's pretty lame to have the PCs dealing with a major threat just to have it defeated offscreen by an NPC.

As for the "like the Driver has his car", yes there is a different base assumption to the playbook (a baked-in goal that he will eventually reach). But for something like this, it's as much about the journey as the destination. Besides, something might change between "I'm going to kill The Fucker" and "I have killed The Fucker". Maybe the character gets killed. Maybe they get sidetracked by something and find a new life that puts vengeance behind them. Play to find out what happens, remember?

HitTheTargets posted:

There's already a mechanic in place to cover "switching over" when vengeance is done: the change your character to a new type and retire your character (to safety) advances. Maybe they open a bar as a form of retirement (Maestro D'). Maybe they start a new town as a substitute for a family (Hardholder). Maybe they turn to mercenary work (Battlebabe). Or maybe they just walk of into the sunset, never to be heard from again except in legends.

e:dammit Rasamune, let me finish! :argh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rasamune posted:

Apocalypse World already has a mechanism for this: You just switch to another playbook.

True and it's a good mechanic, but I'd like to see some exploration of specifically what a Revenant is like after they did what they set out to do. Just turning straight into an Angel or marmot or whatever isn't quite right.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
I know you're still looking for Best Served Cold, what did you think about my idea of sacrificing Lead to help an ally? The gist of it was, "you blow an opportunity to move against the Fucker in order to help an ally. Mark xp but gain Lead." Maybe even a +1forward if the xp is not incentive enough?

I really like the idea of the Revenant regaining a little humanity (represented by xp/growth) by focusing on a new life instead of the old one (helping a friend when you could be hunting the Fucker).

Does that resonate with you at all?

(P.s. I love this playbooks)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For those of you who've had Actual Play experience, what was the rate of advancement like? That is, between rolling highlighted stats, Hx resetting, and custom moves firing, how much XP did players tend to mark in a session?

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Kestral posted:

For those of you who've had Actual Play experience, what was the rate of advancement like? That is, between rolling highlighted stats, Hx resetting, and custom moves firing, how much XP did players tend to mark in a session?

We averaged an advancement every two sessions or so, I think. This is definitely an average, some sessions have more rolls than others but I don't think anyone went 3 sessions without an advancement. That was my table at least, and our last game was only 2-3 months of weekly sessions.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rasamune posted:

Yeah but... everyone can do that. And what if you don't want to switch? If the Gunlugger puts away his guns and picks up an Angel kit, that's his choice. But he can also choose to keep his guns (Obama!), where the Revenant can't choose to keep his Target. What, are you gonna get the fucker dead to rights and let him go? :cmon:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, right, I was thinking as in "you take an ongoing -1 to Lead" as opposed to "take your Lead as an ongoing malus." :downs:

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's already a mechanic in place to cover "switching over" when vengeance is done: the change your character to a new type and retire your character (to safety) advances. Maybe they open a bar as a form of retirement (Maestro D'). Maybe they start a new town as a substitute for a family (Hardholder). Maybe they turn to mercenary work (Battlebabe). Or maybe they just walk of into the sunset, never to be heard from again except in legends.

Probably a good idea to write this into the playbook itself as part of the bit explaining the Incident/Fucker, in the form of "when you kill or otherwise defeat the Fucker and have enough time to contemplate your victory, you immediately gain one advance that must be spent on taking one of either the change your character to a new type or retire your character (to safety) advances" or something, and one which clarifies that it lets you remake your dude and gain some kind of benefit in your new playbook.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 23, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scrape posted:

I know you're still looking for Best Served Cold, what did you think about my idea of sacrificing Lead to help an ally? The gist of it was, "you blow an opportunity to move against the Fucker in order to help an ally. Mark xp but gain Lead." Maybe even a +1forward if the xp is not incentive enough?
I folded that idea into the No One Else! move.

quote:

No One Else!: When acting under fire due to the Fucker or his Lieutenants, or Helping Out someone currently being harmed by them, roll +Hard instead of +Cool. If you let The Fucker or the Lieutenant get away, increase Lead by 1 but both you and the person you're helping get +1Hx with each other.
I'm not sure if it should be the +1Hx or mark experience, now that I think about it.

quote:

I really like the idea of the Revenant regaining a little humanity (represented by xp/growth) by focusing on a new life instead of the old one (helping a friend when you could be hunting the Fucker).

Does that resonate with you at all?
Interesting idea. I'll have to think on that.

HitTheTargets posted:

Yeah but... everyone can do that. And what if you don't want to switch? If the Gunlugger puts away his guns and picks up an Angel kit, that's his choice. But he can also choose to keep his guns (Obama!), where the Revenant can't choose to keep his Target. What, are you gonna get the fucker dead to rights and let him go? :cmon:
I get what you're saying, but i think that once you kill The Fucker, then what happens to the character after that should be up to the player, not the playbook.

Besides, who says that taking out The Fucker means an end to his influence? His right-hand man takes over, the warbands that were under his control are flapping free...mechanically, maybe The Fucker (in a moves-target sense) can become the remains of his organization.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Probably a good idea to write this into the playbook itself as part of the bit explaining the Incident/Fucker, in the form of "when you kill or otherwise defeat the Fucker and have enough time to contemplate your victory, you immediately gain one advance that must be spent on taking one of either the change your character to a new type or retire your character (to safety) advances" or something, and one which clarifies that it lets you remake your dude and gain some kind of benefit in your new playbook.
That's actually a good idea, otherwise you might get this "dead area" of "whelp, he's dead, but I can't move on until I get two more experience."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It should also be pointed out that not every playbook has to be tailored to support an indefinite story, not least because long-term AW campaigns aren't that great mechanically anyway.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

It should also be pointed out that not every playbook has to be tailored to support an indefinite story, not least because long-term AW campaigns aren't that great mechanically anyway.

This is true.

Also, I hadn't noticed that you folded my idea into that move, glad I could contribute. Be sure to post it to the official forums when it's done, it's a good one!

For what it's worth, I think +1 hx is finefor that move, there's already enough benefits to it without extra xp.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Revenant should really have a Trusty Revolver and Hanzo Steel options for their weapons.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Jo McDaldno (MonsterHearts) wrote up an interesting post on making DIY Powered By the Apocalypse games that I hadn't seen before: http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/simple-world/

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 24, 2012

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Jo McDaldno (MonsterHearts) wrote up an interesting post on making DIY Powered By the Apocalypse games that I hadn't seen before: http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/simple-world/

Oh yeah, I read that a few weeks ago and found it very helpful for peeking under the hood of the *World games. He really lays out some of the core ideas in an easy-to-grasp way. Totally worth reading even if you aren't building a hack but just want some insight into the design of the game.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
For Best Served Cold, perhaps you can burn your lead while operating under fire or during a battle to give you a series of options. Maybe an escape option, one to just go cold and hold your ground and perhaps one where you take the hit and let one of the other PCs scram out of a tough situation. You could have any hit let you pick one option and a 10+ have you take -1harm for that move.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tasoth posted:

For Best Served Cold, perhaps you can burn your lead while operating under fire or during a battle to give you a series of options. Maybe an escape option, one to just go cold and hold your ground and perhaps one where you take the hit and let one of the other PCs scram out of a tough situation. You could have any hit let you pick one option and a 10+ have you take -1harm for that move.

I made a move for a commando type character. How's this look for a Guns of Navarrone or Bridge over the River Kwai type of situation where something big has to break for the player's plan to advance. It should even work for Trinity hacking a system at the opening of Reloaded.

Sabotage
When you try and make something big break, blow up or do the exact wrong thing roll +sharp.
On a hit, it's going to break. On a 10+ pick two from column A and the GM picks one from column B, on a 7-9 pick one from column A and the GM picks two from column B

Column A
The timing is perfect, exactly wrong for the bad guys.
The effect is exactly as desired, even more so than you'd hoped.
It's a complete surprise when it happens, the opposition will take time to react
The opposition's contingency plans do more harm than good

Column B
It takes too long to set up, you're in a spot to get away
It doesn't happen when you want it to
The alarm is raised, but the boom still happens
The alarm is raised, the boom still happens, but the opposition has time to react first.
Important resources are diverted to deal with the situation
The effect is dramatically greater then you planned, uh oh.
The effect fizzles, but the panic it causes creates a diversion you might exploit

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like the idea, but my immediate reaction is that it's a lot wordier than it should be. For example, do you really need "The alarm is raised, but the boom still happens" AND "The alarm is raised, the boom still happens, but the opposition has time to react first."

Really, it's just too granular.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like the idea, but my immediate reaction is that it's a lot wordier than it should be. For example, do you really need "The alarm is raised, but the boom still happens" AND "The alarm is raised, the boom still happens, but the opposition has time to react first."

Really, it's just too granular.

The first one is redundant. Should I cut it down to just 3 in each column ?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

mllaneza posted:

The first one is redundant. Should I cut it down to just 3 in each column ?

My gut says cut it down to 4 options and work it like Sieze By Force, since in my mind it's a similar thing.

Kinda riffing off your example:

When you Sabotage something, or make something important break, blow up or do the exact wrong thing through guile and planning, roll+sharp. On a hit, choose options. On a
10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 2:
  • it is completely unusable.
  • no one knows you did it.
  • some of the enemy is caught in the effect.
  • you impress, dismay or frighten your enemy

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Another problem is having opposite effects in the two columns: what if the GM chooses "it doesn't happen when you want it to" but the player chooses "the timing is perfect"? You could cut it down to one list, a lot of AW options imply something by omission- if the player doesn't choose "the timing is perfect," then that automatically means "the timing was wrong."

I like JontheGM's idea: four options, choose three on a 10+. That leaves the GM one option for hard moves, no matter what. My list might be:

...you take them by surprise
...they didn't plan for this
...you have an escape route
...it is completely unusable

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
If I were to do the Sabotage as originally planned, I'd have the player choose from both columns and probably break them down to:

"Good Stuff":
-Done quickly.
-Goes bigger than expected.
-You got away unnoticed.

"Bad Stuff":
-The enemy is more observant.
-You've damaged something important to your team.
-You used more explosives than required. (-1barter or whatever resource.)

Like the others have said, the omission of something is just as important as the inclusion. If you can pick two from the good stuff, you'll still have a bad outcome with it, such as being made as you blow poo poo to high heaven. The second column isn't really necessary, but if you do want to use, I think a more long-term trouble theme would be more fitting. A setup like that means a hit will have good immediate and long term effects where as a weak hit or an abject failure is going to create a whole mess of trouble.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

I really don't like the "two columns" concept because it doesn't appear anywhere else in the game. You really only need one column with all the good and bad together, but phrased as "good thing happens" and "bad thing doesn't happen."

That's how the game does it, and for a reason: it's faster to parse one column of options and see what jumps out at you, like "I want this, but not this." Multiple columns feels like it pulls you further out of the fiction, I dunno.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Good feedback, thanks guys.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Here's v3 of The Revenant. I added the stuff about advancing after you defeat The Fucker and made a few small tweaks. Thanks for all the ideas and feedback!

quote:

THE REVENANT v0.3

Apocalypse World is a dangerous place; we all know that. Violence is a way of life. Towns get attacked by gangs, warlords make examples, people take payment out of your hide and the hides of your loved ones. Monsters walk the ravaged earth, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.

You were supposed to be one of those bodies.

Maybe you weren't home when the attack happened. Maybe you weren't as dead as they thought. Maybe they just didn't give a poo poo about you and left you there standing in the ruins of your life.

It doesn't matter anymore. Your old life was burned to the ground, the ashes scattered to the wind.

Only one thing matters now. Revenge. You're going to find the fucker responsible, and you're gonna put him down once and for all.

There is no one more dangerous than someone with nothing left to lose.

LOOK
Man, woman, ambiguous
Tattered wear, bloody wear, symbolic wear
Dead eyes, rage-filled eyes, tired eyes, focused eyes
Slim body, ravaged body, muscular body

STATS (very much not done)
Choose one set:
• Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-1 Sharp+1 Weird=0
• Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1
• Cool+2 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp-1 Weird=0
• Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+1

THE FUCKER
When you create your character, determine what terrible thing (The Incident) you survived and how you survived it. Did they raze your town and leave you for dead? Did their goons ride in, destroy and/or violate your family and leave everything in flames? Did they kill a loved one while you were away and now you're back?

The MC will then create a special Front for the guy responsible, hereafter known as "The Fucker". This Front is just like a normal Front, but with two exceptions.
1) The Fucker will have a few Lieutenants. There are guys who enforce the Target's agendas and do some of his dirty work. They'll all be tricky to get to, and probably have a gang or something you'll have to kill your way through. Lieutenants might be small Fronts on their own, too, but generally they'll be the threats of the Front. They also don't need to be actual threats; the guy who runs The Fucker's drug production facility is a lieutenant, and the cowardly guy who's the main pusher is also a lieutenant even though he doesn't even know which end of the gun he's supposed to hold.

Ultimately, when you kill or otherwise defeat the Fucker and have enough time to contemplate your victory, you immediately gain one advance that must be spent on taking one of either the change your character to a new type or [/b]retire your character (to safety)[/b] advances. If you change to a new type, you don't use the normal rules for this. Instead, the following happens:
• reduce Lead to 0 (or reduce it by a small amount? "leftover" Lead?)
• you lose access to all the Revenant moves, but gain the following two moves instead, which carry over to your new playbook
The Legend: When you manipulate or go aggro on someone and tell them who you are (and who you took out), take +1 to the roll. If you're manipulating them, roll +Hard instead of +Hot.
Cleaning up: Take +1 ongoing while fighting the leftover forces of The Fucker.

GEAR
You get:
• a memento of your old life
• a clue to the identity of The Fucker; part of his outfit, a blurry memory, whatever.
• 1 businesslike weapon
• fashion suitable to your look (you pick)
• oddments worth 1-barter.

Businesslike weapons (choose 1):
• sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
• 9mm (2-harm close loud)
• big knife (2-harm hand)
• katana (3-harm)

MOVES
You start with this one:
One step closer: When you confront The Fucker in some fashion (violent or not) and you get away alive, mark experience.

Pick 2 more:
This is between you and me: When you confront The Fucker or one of his lieutenants, roll +Hard. On a 10+ pick two, 7-9 pick one.
• You take +1 ongoing until they're defeated or run away.
• Nobody else will interfere on either side.
• They give away an important clue about The Fucker.
• You do 1-harm more damage against your opponent's gang or assorted forces.

I need your help: When you manipulate someone to help you get closer to The Fucker, roll +Hard instead of +Hot.

Best Served Cold: Something about spending Lead, or using Lead to modify something else. Increase Lead by 1 to _________.

Eyes on the Prize: When you arrive at a settlement you haven't been to in a while (or have never been to before) and ask around for leads on The Fucker, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, you get some info about The Fucker or one of his Lieutenants. On a 7-9, you get the info but word gets back to The Fucker or the local Lieutenant. On a miss, you get zilch and The Fucker's forces come looking for you.

HX

On your turn, choose 1, 2, or all 3
• One of them found you (or what was left of you) after The Fucker's attack. Tell that player Hx+2.
• You think one of them might be working for The Fucker. Tell that player Hx-1.
• One of them helped you track down a lead to The Fucker. Tell that player Hx+1.

Tell everyone else Hx+1. What happened to you isn't exactly a secret, and everyone knows you're out for revenge.

On the others' turns, whatever number they tell you, give it -1 write it next to your character's name. You have a little trouble getting close to people ever since The Fucker ruined your life.

ADVANCES
• get +1hard (max hard+3)
• get +1hard (max weird+2)
• get +1cool (max cool+2)
• get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
• get +1weird (max weird+2)
• get another Revenant move
• get another Revenant move
• decrease the Lead by 1
-----------------------
• get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
• retire your character (to safety)
• create a second character to play
• change your character to a new type
• choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
• advance the other 4 basic moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really like Monster of the Week. I was waffling on it, but the discussion got me over the top. I can see making some awesome games out of this. I can definitely see the Fringe inspiration, even without the Olivia shoutout in the Professional. I'm trying to figure out what archetype Peter fits in as. In season 4, he's probably an Exile, but it definitely feels like Flake could fit. Now to figure out a way to get the Exile playbook.

That version of the Revenant looks really good, EM!

• Locked thread