Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Probably because California's laws, taxes, and culture are toxic as gently caress.

California is a huge state and the culture varies from place to place. I've lived in the Central Valley most of my life and in the Bay Area for the rest of it and they're quite different despite being ~60mi away. I can't really comment on So. Cal. as the furthest I've ventured in that direction is Bakersfield and it's still pretty much like the rest of the Central Valley. Personally, I very much prefer the Bay Area.

***edit***
Well, I took loving forever to actually reply. You pretty much nailed it some posts down.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Real talk. How do you deal with motivation issues?

I know what knowledge I want, and I know what to study to get there. I have shelves upon shelves of books on the latest and greatest technologies that interest me. I can't seem to get myself to read anything. I want to, but I don't.
Similar situation here. I really need to get off my rear end and study so I can move on to something better, but when I get home, I get lazy and just sit around playing video games or something. While I'm not sure what I want to do, I figure anything is better than what I do now. At this point, I'm kinda leaning toward PACS administration since at the facility I'm currently at, the Radiology director is doing that and he looks like he's getting burned out pulling double duty. Plus, I'd be making more than the I.T. director and would be under the Radiology director instead of my idiot boss, so it seems like a win-win situation.

***edit2***
Many years of I.T. (and probably gaming) have been catching up with me. I ended up ordering that keyboard that Lum had mentioned in one of the last Megatheads. So, just wanted to say Thank You for the recommendation. Amazon says it should be here Thursday, so I'm looking forward to using it.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

evol262 posted:

How often do you get candidates who go off on how idiotic it is that DNS has more security-related record types to try to bandaid various problems (DNSSEC, DKIM, SPF, et al) than address-related, and that 99% of these record types could be handled with TXT (which is almost never human-readable anyway)?

I've been around awhile and even I had to think for a little bit to come up with 5 record types. The last one I thought of was SPF...

A, CNAME, PTR, MX... uhhhhhhh... :eng99:

Chalk it up to not dealing with it that much. That's one I might have done deer-in-headlights under pressure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cheat with the AAAA record.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Caged posted:

Cheat with the AAAA record.

When I read that question my answer was honestly "A.... AAAA.... umm..."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I got to A, AAAA, CNAME, MX, TXT and SRV but don't ask me to explain the last two. Never considered PTR.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GOOCHY posted:

I've been around awhile and even I had to think for a little bit to come up with 5 record types. The last one I thought of was SPF...

Chalk it up to not dealing with it that much. That's one I might have done deer-in-headlights under pressure.

Windows guys should be able to answer SRV to that question.

Caged posted:

I got to A, AAAA, CNAME, MX, TXT and SRV but don't ask me to explain the last two. Never considered PTR.

SRV is easy, and you rarely have to mess with them. Just resource records for services.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961719.aspx

holy crap there are a lot of dns record types

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 28, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GOOCHY posted:

SPF is a DNS record type.

I don't really touch external DNS very often either. It's a decent question, but depending on the position I wouldn't think it would be an automatic disqualifier.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QPZIL posted:

The Ethernet Internet port on the back. COME FIX IT NOW THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!!

Fixedest.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Just putting thoughts together right now but I want some additional input for the OP updates.

What do you guys look for in an ideal candidate in <name position>?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Curiousity. In all IT positions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Just putting thoughts together right now but I want some additional input for the OP updates.

Show the Rouge Ale CL ad.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well I am trying to keep it as constructive as possible, so... If you had to replace your current position with someone what would you look for, or what advice would you give?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well I am trying to keep it as constructive as possible, so... If you had to replace your current position with someone what would you look for, or what advice would you give?

Have a jobs-to-avoid/humor section :haw:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GOOCHY posted:

You wouldn't have failed my screen based on that answer. The last guy that failed it gave me DNAME because he was reading off a cheat sheet.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Have a jobs-to-avoid/humor section :haw:

I would rather have to spend a weekend to help others avoid things and be better IT folk than read pages and pages of bitching to say "drat that sucks"

But seriously open to any suggestions regardless the position you work on, seriously any help is appreciated I am not omnipotent help me out from lowest to highest, if it helps someone out it is worth it IMO.

PM me or post here if you want

Also would anyone care if I keep this Luna avatar, I just can't change her...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 29, 2013

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My answer for the DNS question would go like this:

I don't know about 5, but I know a few... There's the basic A record where you have 'name > ip address', then you have CNAME's which are effectively nicknames that point to the A record, so if the ip address updates you only have to update one A record. Ummmm, then I know there's TXT records which I don't really know what they are, but I've used them before to do those 'prove you own this domain' things with google analytics and the like, so I'm working under the assumption they exist just as an extra information store... then... I know there's some mail specific ones that I can't think of right now, mail isn't my strong suit anyway. Like DNS I don't do particularly well with protocols that are older than I am! :haw: But pretty much I've just worked with A records and CNAMEs whenever I've done DNS stuff.

Which I would consider a pretty good answer, because I show what I do know, and more importantly know what I don't know, and freely admit it, but with some knowledge of what they might be, and how I came to those conclusions.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
dsadasdsfc

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 29, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

My answer for the DNS question would go like this:

Which I would consider a pretty good answer, because I show what I do know, and more importantly know what I don't know, and freely admit it, but with some knowledge of what they might be, and how I came to those conclusions.

It'd depend a lot on the nature of the position, but I'd consider that an outstanding answer for any kind of helpdesk job and minimum acceptable for a junior admin. Beyond that point you're going to be the guy that has to create those "weird" NS and MX and PTR and SPF records that all the junior guys hand-wave away, but which will still totally break everything if you gently caress them up :) I've posted this 10 times before but I feel like DNS is really, really poorly understood by people for how important (and to be honest, easy) it is.

Agree that admitting what you don't know is a million times better than trying to bullshit.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

NZAmoeba posted:

Like DNS I don't do particularly well with protocols that are older than I am!

Having no idea how old you are, but working on that you're younger than DNS (which will be 30 years old in a few months), saying you don't do well with protocols that are older than you are might not be the best idea. You're effectively ruling out IPv4, ICMP, TCP...

Stuff

Also would anyone care if I keep this Luna avatar, I just can't change her...

Keep it. You've already named your vSphere lab after ponies. Frankly I'm quite upset that you've not yet assigned Fluttershy or Derpy to anything.

If I were hiring for my current position, which is basically "hey, go find a way to do x, then do it / document it / give global engineering the docs. Then go find a way to do this."

I'd be looking for someone who was visibly excited about tech. Not gadgets and cellphones / tablets and the likes, but someone who was enthusiastic when describing different DNS records. Someone who could talk for 30 minutes straight about BIND. Storage deduplication - how does it work, plus pros and cons. Why would you change block sizes? I'd want them to tell me exactly how they'd handle a VM migration getting stuck at 10%. What's the algorithm that RAID 5 uses for parity? Explain MXTCP to me. Go fail over that ASA over there. Linux permissions - go. What's the FTP Control channel? No, I mean, at a packet inspection level, what would you see?

And you know, of course, I'd be being an absolute arsehole. 99.99% of candidates would hate me, and you'd be able to tell that. But, having done exactly the above in interviews before, I've found that 0.01% guy on more than one occasion. None of them knew all of it, but all of them had this excitable tone when running through their train of thought.

That's what I've always looked for when involved in hiring. Does he work in IT, or does he love IT?

Love always wins, and friendship is magic.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

evol262 posted:

VMware player will actually do this (if you want a free solution). VBox doesn't do nested virt at all.

This does seem to have worked. Thanks again. Cross-posted to the home lab thread.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I've posted this 10 times before but I feel like DNS is really, really poorly understood by people for how important (and to be honest, easy) it is.

Absolutely true and absolutely crazy. When DNS was a major part of my job, people tended to regard us as priests of the mysterious oracle, even though we actually ran stock BIND and managed our zone files with vi and RCS. In the current job I'm not involved in DNS, but the people who are don't understand it, repeatedly screw up, and refuse to rework their processes because they're afraid they'll break something worse. Come on, guys, it's all text files at the core, or it can be. Know your stack!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

One which I've never seen used in the wild and I'm not sure how widely supported it actually is.

Everyone I've seen puts SPF in TXT records.

And I'll just agree with you guys on how easy DNS is as well as how critical. It's one of those things that's hard to believe how ignored it is by otherwise intelligent people in the business.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Speaking about DNS and how I totally hosed something up - I use the wrong KMS key in my images and ended up with 50 KMS hosts before I knew what the hell was going on.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I accepted the position in Virginia and all my onboarding paperwork has cleared, so I gave written notice. It is nice being at a level where people come to you with :yotj: instead of you having to seek them out. I am a fortunate man. I am simultaneously excited and sad. I have history here, a "brand" in the company, and am recognized for my work and accomplishments by management and many in the business. After nearly 8 years, 4 departments, and 6 promotions, I think it is a good time to go. Leave them wanting more, etc.

Now to make sure I don't screw over my people here during the transition. I foresee some complications with the deployment I manage that they will need to be apprised of, but may lack the people to handle it after I am gone. Really unfortunate timing for them.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
How bad must the red tape be at my place that my boss decided to give me a $600 AP to DTLS tunnel from my house to work rather than ask our firewall team to add an additional image to our ASA firwall to support my laptop.

I was just about to buy a 5ghz N router too since mine is only 2.4, but this controller based AP also allows you to add one "home use" SSID that doesn't get tunneled.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Turnquiet posted:

I accepted the position in Virginia and all my onboarding paperwork has cleared, so I gave written notice. It is nice being at a level where people come to you with :yotj: instead of you having to seek them out. I am a fortunate man. I am simultaneously excited and sad. I have history here, a "brand" in the company, and am recognized for my work and accomplishments by management and many in the business. After nearly 8 years, 4 departments, and 6 promotions, I think it is a good time to go. Leave them wanting more, etc.

Now to make sure I don't screw over my people here during the transition. I foresee some complications with the deployment I manage that they will need to be apprised of, but may lack the people to handle it after I am gone. Really unfortunate timing for them.

Congrats, if you are in the Tidewater area hit me up!

Also just document, document and document prior to leaving and review it with the important people. Also you may want to see about doing some contract work, e.g. I will work on projects for 5 hours max a week at 125hr, if it is okay with your new company.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Congrats, if you are in the Tidewater area hit me up!

Also just document, document and document prior to leaving and review it with the important people. Also you may want to see about doing some contract work, e.g. I will work on projects for 5 hours max a week at 125hr, if it is okay with your new company.

Glen Allen, north of Richmond. It will be nice to see seasons again as Phoenix is just bright and hot.

Offering consultancy services sounds like a good idea, I may look into that.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Internet Explorer posted:

I knew that - that's why I posted that it was the last one I thought of after a few minutes of thinking about it. Didn't want to Google it and cheat.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What do "real companies" (~1000+ employees) typically set their exchange mailbox quotas to? We use <500MB which seems pretty small for this day and age, especially since employees are directed to archive to their local harddrive.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Alereon posted:

What do "real companies" (~1000+ employees) typically set their exchange mailbox quotas to? We use <500MB which seems pretty small for this day and age, especially since employees are directed to archive to their local harddrive.

Well, I am on the DoD @mail.mil platform, which has several million users and growing, and my mailbox is currently 1.3GB, but not everyone has DoD money. 500MB does seem low if you allow large attachments, which is what uses up most of a persons mailbox quota. I'd venture to say 750MB-1GB is plenty as long as you are limiting attachment sizes and have a policy that people should be storing documents on the network.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Alereon posted:

We generally roll out 2GB mailboxes for our clients, rarely get issues aside from three letter titles who usually want/need more. Oh right +1000 can't say I know what is the limit for those.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 29, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
30k+ employees - not sure what everyone else is provisioned for but I have a 25GB mailbox.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I work for a major telecom and my mailbox is 150mb - we are suppose to use personal folders.

Also, no zips for attachments and a limit of 8mb.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah we spend a lot of time e-mailing around PDFs and scanned documents so <500MB goes pretty drat quick, and I really try to avoid local archiving so I can access data I need via OWA. Other users tend to just lose poo poo and require me and others to forward them copies of e-mails, which is annoying. Thanks for the feedback folks, I mostly wanted to know if bigger mailboxes were obviously stupid for some reason before I consider writing a business case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the actual technical limitation of having large mailboxes?

Is it just space?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Only one day left at this job! :toot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

What's the actual technical limitation of having large mailboxes?

Is it just space?

More space needed on your (assuming) Exchange server, and Outlook really doesn't like big OST files.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
5000+ user 2010 install, no limit, with about 100 extremely large mailboxes taking over 30% of the space (1.5TB of 5 TB total).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alereon posted:

Before we outsourced to what was BPOS and is now Office365 it depended on how important the person was. Management got 1GB. Normal workers got 500Megs. Task workers got 250. Attachments capped at 10mb.

Now everyone gets 25GB cause we give no fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Caged posted:

More space needed on your (assuming) Exchange server, and Outlook really doesn't like big OST files.

What's nice about outlook 2013 is you can tell it only to cache a certain date range of mail to your OST and it will go and fetch directly from the server for anything beyond that. True, you don't have your full mailbox offline with you, but it virtually eliminates issues with large OST files.

• Locked thread