Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, Green Team did approach the Titans with an offer to fund them at the end of that comic. That's definitely an in to get a new young team book in after cancelling the others. Maybe if the title has the word Justice in it, it'll work this time :shrug:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TwoPair posted:

They introduced and then iced Artemis while the cartoon was still airing. DC is staffed by madmen and fools and you should never underestimate then.

Don't forget the utterly schizophrenic push and deletion of Aqualad!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Don't forget the utterly schizophrenic push and deletion of Aqualad!

Are you doubting the company that gave us the premiere young adult character VIBE??

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Returning to happier times... I'm in the process of picking up the Morrison Deluxe JLA trades, and despite some weird concessions to editorial policies of the time (Hypolyta as Wonder Woman, the infamous electric Superman) I'm really enjoying them. Two questions I was hoping you guys could help me with:

1) The One Million stories aren't contained in the Deluxe editions. Does the cheap paperback version have what I need (I'd especially like a copy of the secret epilogue to All-Star Superman)? Or is the extra material in the omnibus strong enough additional to justify tracking down a reasonably priced copy?

2) I know Morrison based his roster on the Greek pantheon, and I've been trying to figure out which hero equals which God. Some are easy enough:
Supes = Zeus
Batman = Hades
WW = Hera
Aquaman = Poseidon
Green Lantern = Apollo
Flash = Hermes
Huntress = Artemis
Steel = Hephaestus
Oracle = Athena
Barda = Demeter
Orion = Ares
Plastic Man = Dionysus

...but that leaves me with Martian Manhunter and Zauriel/Hawkman. Any idea who they might be intended to represent? Or do they not fit the pattern?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The paperback has only the spine of the One Million story, which makes it a bit schizophrenic. It's not bad, but the omnibus would be my recommendation.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

2) I know Morrison based his roster on the Greek pantheon, and I've been trying to figure out which hero equals which God. Some are easy enough:
Supes = Zeus
Batman = Hades
WW = Hera
Aquaman = Poseidon
Green Lantern = Apollo
Flash = Hermes
Huntress = Artemis
Steel = Hephaestus
Oracle = Athena
Barda = Demeter
Orion = Ares
Plastic Man = Dionysus

...but that leaves me with Martian Manhunter and Zauriel/Hawkman. Any idea who they might be intended to represent? Or do they not fit the pattern?

I'm not sure it was ever officially laid out, but I remember noted Classical scholars Wizard magazine making their best attempt at it back in the day.

You've got the twelve Olympians, i.e., the Dodekatheon, but there are still those two left over, huh? I would said Zauriel is Eros, since he was mainly motivated by love.

Martian Manhunter is harder, because the most significant god not in the Dodekatheon is Hestia/Vesta, and he is DEFINITELY not the goddess of the fireplace. If any of the members were Hestia, I would say Oracle just because she's the stay-in-one-place-hold-down-the-fort role, but Athena makes more sense for her.

Jeez, who else spent time on Olympus? Heracles? Persephone? Ganymede? Hebe? None of those are quite right for J'onn.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Benito Cereno posted:

I'm not sure it was ever officially laid out, but I remember noted Classical scholars Wizard magazine making their best attempt at it back in the day.

You've got the twelve Olympians, i.e., the Dodekatheon, but there are still those two left over, huh? I would said Zauriel is Eros, since he was mainly motivated by love.

Martian Manhunter is harder, because the most significant god not in the Dodekatheon is Hestia/Vesta, and he is DEFINITELY not the goddess of the fireplace. If any of the members were Hestia, I would say Oracle just because she's the stay-in-one-place-hold-down-the-fort role, but Athena makes more sense for her.

Jeez, who else spent time on Olympus? Heracles? Persephone? Ganymede? Hebe? None of those are quite right for J'onn.

Wouldn't J'onn relate more to Wisdom than Oracle? Assuming we're taking wisdom to mean providing counsel and advice, which fits J'onn's role as the league's pseudo-psychiatrist.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I would not recommend the One Million omnibus unless you're really curious about how the writers and artists of the time played with the concept. I didn't read all of em, but I assume most didn't feed into Morrison's story in any meaningful way.
If I recall, all Morrison wrote were the four issues, the JLA one and a Secret Files and Origins epilogue or something like that later.
Does your thing include the Earth Two story with Quitely? Ya need that.

e: According to Wikipedia, the small collection collects 1M 1-4 and the Green Lantern, Resurrection Man, Starman and Superman: The Man of Tomorrow issues. That's weird.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 8, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Those are necessary books because a lot of the betrayal and Vandal Savage plots are in side books. Also Man of Tomorrow has Superman call out the Anti-Sun on the future equivalent of live national TV.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Zakmonster posted:

Wouldn't J'onn relate more to Wisdom than Oracle? Assuming we're taking wisdom to mean providing counsel and advice, which fits J'onn's role as the league's pseudo-psychiatrist.

I'd buy that. Plus Athena ties into ideas of strategy as well, so that makes sense. So if you swap in J'onn for Athena and make Oracle goddess of the home base Hestia, I think you've got your team.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I can't find any of the interviews online (and it was long enough ago they may have all been print interviews) but from what I recall, Morrison ended up doing (at least) rough plots for nearly every issues of the DC One Million crossover. The one exception was Hitman, which I recall the directive being "just do whatever you think is funny." This makes a certain degree of sense, since the vast majority of DC's other books at the time featured JLA characters who tied into the main storyline, and by giving pretty strict marching orders to the teams writing Superman/Batman/Green Lantern/etc. avoided (to my recollection) any of the sort of dissonant stuff you see in Civil War and other crossovers where someone is an agonized humanist in one issue and basically a Nazi in the next.

Chuck Dixon is the guy I seem to recall grousing about it. I dug up a circa 1999 interview with him in Writers on Comic Scriptwriting where he complains about Morrison letting Batman interact with aliens and allowing Huntress onto the JLA (because he sees her as a fundamentally dangerous and insane person) but he never directly addressed DC1M except to say that "the DC One Million stories became a black hole that swallowed me up for months."

Oh wait, this book also has the interview with Morrison:

"[DC1M] was the biggest work I've ever done, because basically I plotted everything that month, every single comic except for Hitman. With that I just said, "Garth, take the piss," that was my plot. The rest of it was quite detailed. The Batman stuff, the Superman stuff was really detailed. I plotted something like sixty-four comics that month and wrote five of them."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hrmm. I might have to get that omni now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The floppy has no Robot Robin so you really should drop for the omni.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Alternatively, don't bother with DC1M because I read it recently a couple years ago and thought it was largely "eh". It's a huge number of pages to tell a story that isn't particularly interesting and my memories of the art are that of largely quintessential 90s art.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kevin Smith is doing a Batman 66/Green Hornet digital comic.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/03/11/kevin-smith-batman-green-hornet-1960s-comic/6254327/

And if Bleeding Cool's hot insider scoops are to be believed, the Didio/Giffen joint is The Forever People. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/11/dan-didio-and-keith-giffen-bring-us-the-forever-people/

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

And if Bleeding Cool's hot insider scoops are to be believed, the Didio/Giffen joint is The Forever People. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/11/dan-didio-and-keith-giffen-bring-us-the-forever-people/

DC All Access just confirmed it

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Awesome can't wait for that to last 7 issues and get cancelled.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The art is gorgeous, but I was hoping for hippies :/

e: Full solicit is up.
INFINITY MAN AND THE FOREVER PEOPLE #1

On Sale 6/11
U.S. Price: 2.99
Written by: Keith Giffen, Dan Didio
Art by: Scott Koblish, Keith Giffen

Cover by: Scott Koblish, Keith Giffen
Variant cover by: Howard Porter
Four of the best students from New Genesis arrive on Earth to study and aid in the advancement of humanity – but they soon discover a darker purpose to their mission: a threat so great that it may bring the multiverse itself to its knees! The only thing that stands between them and total destruction is the mysterious entity known as the Infinity Man!

Don’t miss the start of this new series by Dan DiDio and Keith Giffen, the team that brought you the over-the-top adventures of O.M.A.C.!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 11, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

The art is gorgeous, but I was hoping for hippies :/

That is pretty freaking awesome. I heard really good things about the Didio/Giffen OMAC series, and it looks like they are continuing the trend. So yea, 7 issues or so.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Who? :psyduck:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Go read the Fourth World Omnibus.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They were New Genesis flower children against Darkseid. I dunno about these guys. Hope its fun :)
Yeah. Buy this http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-F...h+world+omnibus

bobkatt013 posted:

I would love to see Allred do a Fourth World series.

Me too, but Giffen is pretty great at the Kirby aping.
e: I'm reading Solo now and Paul Pope's OMAC segment just has me dreaming about them relaunching all the 4th World series in a big push with all the best Kirby influenced dudes and it would all sell and lollipops and rainbows.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 11, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Space Hippies who voltron into a more powerful dude. You are now up to date.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vincent posted:

Its pure undiluted Kirby, and its amazing.

I would love to see Allred do a Fourth World series.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

DC are really trying to make "things that aren't batman or superman don't sell" a self-fulfilling prophecy, aren't they?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Genetic Toaster posted:

DC are really trying to make "things that aren't batman or superman don't sell" a self-fulfilling prophecy, aren't they?

At least they are trying different titles, which is to be commendable.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Vincent posted:

That is completely wrong.

It's WAY more like Captain Planet than Voltron.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Four of the best students from New Genesis

Four?

Granted, I don't see a Serafin, unless he's repackaged as the girl in front.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
It's really hard to tell if these are supposed to be all new characters or a re-jiggering of the original lineup. The original Forever People were four dudes and a girl, and this new image shows two dudes and two girls, so at least one person is dropped, and at least one dude is a girl now (which is fine).

I mean, none of them look like the originals, but conceivably the guy in the back could be Big Bear and the guy in front could be Vykin, though neither of them is quite like the original design. If you interpret the woman in front as having a hat and bandanna, she could be Serifan, but the woman in back looks more like Mark Moonrider than Beautiful Dreamer, so it's hard to tell what's up.

It will be interesting to see what the actual lineup is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

It's really hard to tell if these are supposed to be all new characters or a re-jiggering of the original lineup. The original Forever People were four dudes and a girl, and this new image shows two dudes and two girls, so at least one person is dropped, and at least one dude is a girl now (which is fine).

I mean, none of them look like the originals, but conceivably the guy in the back could be Big Bear and the guy in front could be Vykin, though neither of them is quite like the original design. If you interpret the woman in front as having a hat and bandanna, she could be Serifan, but the woman in back looks more like Mark Moonrider than Beautiful Dreamer, so it's hard to tell what's up.

It will be interesting to see what the actual lineup is.

This could just be the start and like the comic they have to rescue the final member.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Mark is in the picture. He's the guy in the right-above-Big-Bear area.

Also, I'm crossing my fingers for something really goofy. There are four students from New Genesis, but the fifth member of the team is a human woman they befriend who is named Sarah Phan.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Benito Cereno posted:

I'm presuming that's Moonrider behind Big Bear, in green and purple with the yellow thing over his crotch trying not to get sucked into whatever Infinity-Man is doing. He doesn't have the funky headgear but the rest is consistent. Dreamer needs to fire her hair stylist, though.

Girl in front gets Serifan's slot by process of elimination, I guess.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Wow, you guys are right. Moonrider is right there and I didn't see him, nor did I look for him due to foolishly taking the solicitation text at its word.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I liked OMAC and the Wednesday Metal Men enough, I'm totally going to be a day one sucker

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Superman/Wonder Woman was pretty good and made clear than the annual happened before the start of the series, JLA on the other hand was trash and actually made me feel angry towards FE since is pure padding all the time.

Assholes :argh:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Dan DiDio, if you do right by this you're OK with me.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

JLA on the other hand was trash and actually made me feel angry towards FE since is pure padding all the time.

I like how godawful event tie-ins have sullied not one, but two comics I was reading from DC. Supergirl got mauled relentlessly by event tie-ins, and now Forever Evil causes JLA to gently caress up something like Stargirl standing up to Despero, and gaining the upper hand. Always awesome to know this cool thing I'm reading in this comic now suddenly didn't happen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-dc-reveals-heroes-spotlighted-in-secret-orgins-3/1100-148306/

Issue 3 of Secret Origin will cover: Hal (written by Venditti :sigh:), Batwoman (by Mcarthy and Haun) and Tim (by Lobdell :v:)

Bermejo's killing it with the covers :flashfap:

But I was expecting for Wonder Woman to get the spotlight to round up the trinity, odd choice (not than I'm complaining mind you)

EDIT:

And the variants for june are Bombshell :v:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51487

At least Red Hood finally got a variant cover! :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 14, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Quick question. How do people feel about the New Reverse Flash. Because to me he seems like a massive step down from Zolomon and Thawne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Solicits are starting to come out:

http://www.newsarama.com/20589-dc-june-2014-solicits-the-new-52-part-1.html

Batman and GL family

http://www.newsarama.com/20583-dc-comics-june-2014-solicitations.html

Collectibles and beyond the N52

To note:

*Lobdell is back on RHATO, I...I don't know what to think about it