Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Smite the Xenos. And up the research on chemical weapons, our foes aren't melting fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Update 13: Battle with the Furries 8/1/96 - 9/30/96

Planetary Information Acquired
Harmony Fleet Specs
Ship Building Tutorial

Monthly Report

8/1/96

The governor called about the Military being paid too much again. We have the cash.

Still rich, I could probably afford two fully outfitted Dragons now.

8/5/96

Poll numbers are in, still at 97% approval.

Got a call from the Rimble mission:

...probably acquaint yourself. If you look through the files you'll note that Rimble has no formal government, but the planet is more or less controlled by a group of individuals who call themselves the Miscreants, and that group is controlled by a man named Skave McGlade. I have transmitted a file on him. He is a wealth of information, and has ears all over the galaxy. This is his headquarters, a popular bar on Rimble called the Drooling Sloth. He can usually be found here if at all. He is genial, and seems to be able to provide whatever information you need, at a price. I am continuing with my assigned mission.

Nope, definitely not a cheap knockoff of Mos Eisley.

Name: Skave McGlade
Role: Mercenary
Planet: Rimble
Stats: Tough, Mean, Fair, Unscrupulous
Bio: An orphan on the planet Rimble, he grew up tough and mean. He is the leader of a band of mercenaries known as the Miscreants. While he has been accused of several acts of smuggling and other crimes, he has never been convicted. He is very knowledgable about many things, and always willing to sell information for a price.

Fair and unscrupulous? How does that work?

I decide to give this guy a call:

...gotta go but call me some time and we'll jabber.

Stop your jibber jabber!

The manual for this game includes tips from Skave Mcglade. It is how I found the buried ship and the ship in the Soraya Nebula as a kid. That was the only reason I got anywhere in the game. I don't think I ever found him in the game before though.

I called him back and got his secretary:

8/6/96

Mine Site 1 that has been running since before I took this job was just shut down due to depletion. That is 8 staff freed up for a total of 21 available. One research project finishing and I can man the Dragon. One Magnetic project is at 89%. Should be done in about 2 weeks.

I do like that the mine gets deeper on the map as it goes on with more layers.

8/7/96

The U-Boat returned from Huygen. Sent it to insurge on Zaphroxi.

8/8/96

Skave called:

Ummmm.....you know what to do with the Catzite? I spend $5,000 running a poll every month. Sure, I'll bite.

Oh, that find.....right. Skave we dug that up over half a year ago and it has been involved in several battles. Your intelligence network sucks.

8/17/96

Tool called:

...field is just the thing. Requires a small on-board nuclear reactor for the ship, but this defense mechanism takes the energy from a nuclear attack, absorbs it and drives it right back into the ship pile. Now available from our equipment catalog.

Name: Dissipative Nuclear Field
Cost: $6,000
Manufacturer: Tool
Type: Nuclear
Description: Generated by an on-board reactor, this field absorbs all forms of nuclear attack and pumps the energy back into the ship.

Meh.

8/18/96

...magnetic fields, thereby protecting the inner ship.

Neat, I guess. I order it installed on all ships.

This is not a system. I looked online and you are supposed to need this to enter the radio galaxy system in the Sve'n-whatchamacallit system. This may explain why they promised their leader would contact me and they never did. When I called her she asked how the new system was working for me and she never gave me anything. I might have hit a game bug. I will send another recon mission to the planet as soon as one of my recon ships returns and hopefully get around the bug.

I am cutting all research teams to 10 from here on out. While I appreciate the merits of the rotating system suggested research does not occur linearly improving based on number of staff. We will get more results with more teams with less staff then we would with a few fully-staffed teams.

I give you the FitzFlag:

Hull: Dragon
Weapons: Mass Tracking Missiles, Super Missiles, Vibroray, White Noise Generator, Magnetic Pods
Defenses: Reflective Surface, Nonconductive Coating, Magnetic Shielding, Repair Drone, Full Thermal System
Computer: Propulsion Enhancer, Scanner, System Integrator

As much as possible I used Harmony developed systems but we have only designed 3 weapons and 1 computer component. All defense are locally produced. Ship cost $238,750 all told.

8/25/96

The fleet launches for Planet L:

They have orders to attack anything in their way. I also send the Silent Running on to the quasar planet with a recon agent.

8/31/96

Thermal project completed:

...components it touches.

Name: Liquid Nitrogen Gun
Cost: $1,250
Manufacturer: Harmony
Type: Thermal
Description: Gun sprays a liquid nitrogen coating onto the target hull, making it brittle. Will also damage hull mounted weapons, etc.

Neat.

Budget at the end of the month:

It is odd how the staff report works. In every department except Research it does not show the busy staff. Mining has 8 staff per operating mine and the military has about 75 staff all told spread throughout its ships.

9/1/96

Again, the military are buying land cruisers.

The mining income comes in again:

I looked over research and a Laser project that was over 50% done and a General project that was over 90% done both tanked back and are now at 1 and 2%. That would have been our first General project ever finished. Stupid dead-end research.

I am wondering if I am near the end of the tech tree.

9/7/96

The second insurgency mission to Zaphroxi yielded no new results. Recalling the ship.

9/15/96

Battle is joined:

Five enemy warships. We face them in battle and overwhelm them thought 3 ships are damaged in the battle, some critically. It may soon be time to start retiring smaller ships and replacing them with bigger ships. We'll see.

...you have honored yourself. I call you comrade. I am sure you are curious about myself, my planet, and my people, I will transmit to you the data you seek.

Uhhhh....actually I wanted trained furry warriors, cash, and ships. I call again:

...arranged.

...between our cultures so I must give the matter more thought.

We won respect but that appears to be it. Recalling the fleet.

9/22/96

The General project that tanked somehow finished and came up with a Super Laser.

Name: Super Laser Cannon
Cost: $1,375
Range: 300
Manufacturer: Harmony
Type: Laser
Description: The most powerful of the basic models, it features increased range and excellent power capabilities.

Do General projects just grab something from another branch. I wonder....

9/25/96

The mission to the radio planet has found nothing. Recalling the ship. All ships are currently enroute to Harmony.

Unless this triggers her call I think this is a bust. Pretty sure she gives you some kind of magnetic tech. Not too big a deal.

I am thinking it might be time for Recon on some Syndicate worlds. Any thoughts?

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 13, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So the Chewbaccas are the Proud Warrior Race? Well, at the very least we know they won't join the Syndicate.

Definitely recon some Syndicate planets.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Overlord:

With our fleet now becoming an actual threat, we might be able to defend ourselves in case the Syndicate gets pissy that we're sneaking around on their worlds, looking things up about their leaders.

Begin reconnaissance as soon as possible, and let's get some dirt on the Syndicate. You know, besides the dirt that is them existing.

-Ettore Lagenhol

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Overlord,

I knew checking out Rimble would be a fruitful exercise for our great planetary endeavors! That Skave guy's as smooth as well machined piston with class-G lubricant, and just as slippery. Now, he doesn't compare to the fantastic prowess of Fitzerfly's captain Mav, but he's about as close as we can hope for in his absence.

Looking at his face, he kinda reminds me of the bad guy in Episode 2, "Free Space." After breaking atmo on Carpathia and exfiltrating with the suspicious new crew members, they cast on the darkside of a wartime wreckage belt to conceal themselves from the Consortium scanners. They detect a settlement built into a larger piece of wreckage, and see that smugglers and pirates have set up a base there. Match, the doctor, one of the newcomers, believes they're going to discern that he's a defector, and fears they'll turn him in. So, he sabotages the engines so he can steal the pod to escape. Of course, Wren's far too smart and truly understands the heart of the Fitzerfly too well to leave her scuttled. Still, they request permission to land, and are surprised to be given it. They hand in to the pirates as collateral, but then later realize he's updated their biometrics so that only he can open the hold. The smugglers want to scan, and when they aren't allowed in, everyone get's suspicious and weapons get drawn. As you might imagine, some tense moments ensue.

Oh, that reminds me; one of the guy's flunkie's name is Weaselle. He is a dapper man, and he wears a fancy old-fashioned helmet, but unlike a helmet, it's made of fabric and is just for decoration. I think they call it a Tyrolean, which is funny because it sounds like some sort of mineral. "We hit a vein of Tyrolean! Slow down or else you'll slag that bit!" Anyway, I was thinking of adding some attire to my work uniform. The horizontal blue stripe is a little slimming, but I'm getting a little thin on top, and I'm thinking it might make me a little more professional looking. Might be the push I need to get me promoted to full-time manager. Promotions seem to be hard to come by lately, which is odd because the economy's been good, except a little unease because of the war, but people are still coming in for their nutrient needs.

Ooh, have you seen that we now have a new flavor of StimSip? They call it Isoamyl Acetate, and it tastes as good as it sounds! If you have the chance, stop in at your local Nutrient Haus for one. (Gotta be honest, though: Malic is still my favorite. Makes my tonuge crazy!)

What was I talking about again? Sorry, I keep getting interrupted by customers and my boss as I compose this message. I think I was going to tell you about my theories behind the secret meaning of Episode 7 "Sunrise" and that one infamous scene. Maybe another time. The last thing I want to do is waste your precious time with some meandering bunk.

I'll talk to you soon.

Baphrdray Dane
Assistant Manager, Nutrient Haus

Translation: Even I don't know what the heck he's on about this time. I guess go spy on the Syndicate with the Serenity? He'd probably want you to do that.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Is it possible to use stealthy ships to start insurgencies on Syndicate planets without being noticed?

At any rate it might trigger a huge response...

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Readingaccount posted:

Is it possible to use stealthy ships to start insurgencies on Syndicate planets without being noticed?

At any rate it might trigger a huge response...

Should be possible to try.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Update 14: Birds on Bird 10/1/96 - 12/28/96

10/1/96

Another complaint about the Military being overfunded. What the hell.

Mr. Fredericks also called. They caught a Syndicate agent in the Organics Research lab trying to unleash a plague. He is being 'processed' now.

The Serenity returns and I ship it off to Hobbman for recon.

10/2/96

We received a broad-beamed distress call sent throughout the sector.

...embarrassing miscalculation during a biological research experiment our planet have been overrun with large reptilian creatures of the species draco nobilis. They are extremely dangerous and we do not have the weaponry to deal with them. We are offering a large reward for the extermination of this threat.

Okay, I think we should help her out. I am going to send in the entire combat fleet as soon as it returns. If the Syndicate or some other power also responds I want to be able to blow them out of orbit. This is our rescue mission damnit!!!

Is that bird the species in question. Has Bird been overrun by birds? I'll stop.

And I just learned you can redirect a fleet without going home first. This is not that useful for fleets with agents as they need to come home to 'reset' but for a combat fleet it works fine.

I decide to have the fleet come home so we can patch up their hulls first.

10/4/96

The fleet lands and we rush priority repairs. The fleet must depart again tomorrow.

10/5/96

This is why we give the military a big budget. They are already out again and enroute to Bird.

10/6/96

New poll numbers are in. Approval at 99%.

10/8/96

The U-boat returns and I send it to Recon Rasputin. I have decided to hold off on recon on the Syndicate until the Combat Fleet is home. We are going to be alone back here for a while. Probably a bad idea to stir up trouble until they are home or at least on their way home.

10/12/96

Recon mission to Hobbman found nothing. Recalling the ship.

10/14/96

Finished an Electrical project:

Name: SIN Info Filter/Transmitter
Cost: $2,125
Producer: Harmony
Type: General
Description: Computer keeps track of all data available to the ship and correlates it and then transmits the data to the SIN databanks.

Hmmmm.....so no need for Recon agents?

Not sure what this does. Will probably install it on a Fox Class ship and test it at some point.

Mine site 13 was depleted today. I am moving the staff over to SIN for now. I think from here on out I will maintain the number of mines I have now and survey replacements as needed.

10/19/96

Mission to Rasputin found nothing new.

10/21/96

Sending recon mission to Zaphroxi.

10/25/96

So, a race it is my Syndicate friends. I realize now it may have been a mistake to send the whole fleet. Some of the ships are quite slow compared to the faster ones. Nothing for it now but to hope we beat them there or at least meet them there and can drive them off so we save the planet.

10/28/96

Sent recon missions to Thornwood and Haltrot.

10/31/96

The month ends with the fleet about halfway to Bird.

Budget still seems to be good:

11/1/96

A decent profit since yesterday.

11/6/96

A Missile project finishes up:

Name: Roving Drones
Cost: $1,375
Type: General
AI drones that circle the ship in a pattern designed to cover the ship's vulnerable areas, these drones absorb all types of damage.

Hooray, a new toy.

11/8/96

Mr. Fredericks reports another agent, this one wanting to plant a bomb on a starship in the military maintenance bays. Since we do not have any starships on planet this agent is something of an idiot. Still, let's see what what we can find out:

I like having a staffed SIN department.

11/14/96

No new data on Thornwood, recalling the agent.

Got a call about a new nuclear discovery:

....but what if it is hull material. Well, can't blame you. You did make me a neat gun.

Name: Proton Accelerator
Cost: $1,750
Type: Nuclear
Description: Fires a stream of Protons at the target ship, changing the hull into various isotopes and breaking down the molecular structure.

Now go forth and make me more instruments of fiery death!

11/18/96

No update on Haltrot, recalling the ship.

11/20/96

The fleet arrives at Bird and are attacked.

...enter battle.

Two enemies against our 7 warships. They better hope they are well-equipped.

We split our fire. One enemy goes up and the other is heavily damaged. Only the Phaeton has taken any real damage with one weapon system disabled.

VICTORY!!!!!

I order the fleet to get to work cleaning up the infestation on Bird.

11/21/96

...match for a full starship. Many of the creatures were frightened by the ship, and it was possible to herd them into a stasis field that Bird had set up. We have made contact with Scientist Supreme Zarney and she has thanked us. We are now returning to Harmony.

Ummmm.....reward? Money? Tech? One of the birds for a pet?

11/23/96

New breakthrough in organic tech:

Not quite flesh-eating bacteria but we'll take it. Now go back and get me flesh-eating bacteria or nerve gas or something.

11/24/96

Bird called:

...accept our donation of $150,000 and a new research computer for your research department. Further, if there is any way we can be of further assistance to you, do not hesitate to ask.

The Zaphroxi mission also reported no new data. Recalling them.

11/25/96

Checked to make sure all ships are recalled. A neutral fleet in deep space. Not sure what that is about :

The other neutral fleets are the Thyzahn defense fleet and a small fleet defending Keyops.

11/26/96

Hmmmmm....glad to hear it but how did it get here from Bird so fast? :iiam:

11/30/96

End of the month and everytthing seems to be going well.

12/1/96

The monthly report on how much the Military gets paid came in again and something more important from Mr. Fredericks.

...Bird and we expect an answer soon.

Good thinking. Hopefully we can figure out what the Syndicate wanted with the guy badly enough to extract him and fake an abduction.

Also, money continues to flow in. Can afford two new Dragon warships with that kind of cash. Will begin fleet upgrade when the fleet returns.

12/2/96

Sending the first recon mission to Syndicate space, the planet Happenstance, the closest to us. Now that the fleet is on the way home I think it should be okay.

12/8/96

...with low intelligence that would actually move and obey simple orders. Further, the creatures would be able to lay dormant in pods indefinitely, yet once the pods were open they would mature within 24 hours. He seemed quite a ways along in his research, he estimates success within two or three years.

He is building evil pod plants? Do they feast on human flesh? That would be......bad.....

12/10/96

Another ship returns home, sending it to the Syndicate planet of Cylur.

12/14/96

Another tech breakthrough, our first General project to successfully complete:

Name: Electrical Siphon
Cost: $1,500
Range: 300
Type: Electrical
Description: Create a field which takes the electricity of any ship in range and redirects it, damaging devices and causing general havoc.

Neat.

I am now pretty convinced that General gives you junk from other categories. Going to have the teams on General switch to other specialties

I set them back to come up with more electrical gizmos.

Also get a call from the resort planet of Azure Dawn:

...asking for our unconditional surrender to him and his planet. We have been given three weeks to put our affairs in order, and at that time if we do not surrender peacefully we will be taken by force. We do not have any means to protect our planet, and are asking for your help. We have nowhere to go and we are not willing to surrender, so we will likely be slaughtered by the attack. If you assist us in this matter you will be compensated more than adequately. Please do not hesitate in your decision, however, as I am certain they will not extend our deadline.

I order the fleet returning from Bird to detour to Azure Dawn. Only the Phaeton is still damaged so they should be able to handle the situation.

12/18/96

Our Magnetic research group came up with something neat:

...average removes 18% more impurities than we do currently.

Cool, make more cool stuff.

12/19/96

Our ship reached Happenstance but no report yet. Perhaps recon on Syndicate worlds takes more time.

12/24/96

Last fox ship, the Serenity, got back. Sending them with an agent to recon Nimbula, another Syndicate world.

12/28/96

New Thermal tech:

...undetected.

Fun, make more neat things!!!

I also got a report that the fleet has established orbit and has taken defensive positions around Azure Dawn.

Input from Citizens:

I am concerned about the situation on Azure Dawn. While I want to save them Esbastista is our prime supplier on mining equipment and pissing them off could hit our profits. Here's a thought. Esbastista rules Keyops. What if we hit Keyops and then rushed back to Azure Dawn. This might cause them to call off their dogs. Plus, I can see the fleet at Keyops. Two warships. Not a difficult fight. I am pretty sure we can hit Keyops and get back to Azure Dawn before the deadline. THoughts?

I am also thinking there is a reason the Keyops fleet appeared, not sure if this is why but seems logical.

Should we begin insurgencies on Syndicate planets once we get the data or recon them all first? Thoughts?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Overlord:

While Esbastia provides up with our equipment, Azure Dawn provides us with that which we need almost as much: pure profit. If we lose them, a third of our sales go down the drain, since I'm doubting Azure Dawn will remain a tourist hotspot post-conquest. We should hit Keyops and then get to Azure Dawn ASAP. If this proves to be impossible to do, perhaps splitting the fleet would be a good idea depending on the power of the Keyops fleet.

-Ettore Lagenhol

PS: I think the military budget needs to be slashed, the captain has filled the brig with credits. The rest of the staff have been taking turns jumping into a pile of money for the past day or so. Send help.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Since we got some cloaking upgrades, let's send a super-stealth Fox to the Eyeball again.

Proceed with the Keyops assault plan.

Recon all planets before invading. This will stop us from getting caught with our pants down.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

#Overlord

let's first upgrade and then send a stealth Fox to the Eyeball again.

Proceed to take out the 2 warships and then rush back to Azure Dawn.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Overlord,

mno.34kjm f

Baphrdray Dane
Assistant Manager, Nutrient Haus

Translation: Dammit, he's butt-dialing you, but he has no friends, so 'Overlord' is first in his contact list. It's actually kinda sad. Anyway, I would say to continue reconning Syndicate locations to find the best targets unless you end up in another skirmish with them, in which case, move on the most opportune insurgency immediately.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Boss,

Enemy stuff needs to get blown up. If possible, I'd split the fleet and send the faster elements to deal with the two blips on radar before rejoining the defences. Be careful about who we call 'enemy' just yet, though.

Executive Officer Lomas DuQuesne,
Fitzgerald.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Brother-Overlord,
Esbastista is ruled by disgusting infidels; as great Abdul Al-Hazred almost definitely as much as implies somewhere between all the rambling, there is no negotiation with infidels (or anyone else but that's clearly beside the point) and they should be hit when possible. On the other hand, saving Azure Dawn would surely be frowned upon by our blobby gods - why not just hit Keyops and then see how it plays out?
Regarding Syndicate planets, we should make like the Great Cthulhu and Rise! Rise! Insurge! And hope no one slams a boat into us.

Yours in Shub-Niggurath,
Rev. A. E. Hilated, Sadly Only Church of the Old Ones, Harmony

P.S.: Please accept the enclosed fruit basket. The crops are home-grown on the grave of Sister Johnson's stillborn and fluided by various bodily excretions generously donated by my humble flock. Don't mind the smell.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 13, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Let's just keep it simple, even though I'm sure it would be hilarious if Azure Dawn gets torched while we're hitting another target. Also there's no way to tell if our mining supplier will get pissed off more by forcing his ships to retreat, or by raiding his ally.

So, try to force the enemy fleet away from Azure Dawn, hopefully without blowing them up and send a upgraded Fox with all the gizmos to the eyeball. Maybe this is the chance for the new passive computer thingy to shine?

Also, we beat down a dragon uprising and invented a ship-sized proton pack? Holy poo poo. :stare:

I guess now we know what we have to do if space ghosts attack. :v:

Edit:

loving sneaky typos.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 14, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We need more Swarm Ships!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Game keeps crashing when I attack Keyops. Not sure why. Will try to figure this out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, how deep are these tech trees? You keep finding more and more amazing stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey it's this game. I remember you! Yeah the tech trees are ridiculous and often built on previous techs and discoveries. I'd completely forgotten that it had actual non-human aliens for some reason. Do they do anything?

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
It's a shame that the forums going down seems to have killed this lp, I was really enjoying it.
Might have to see about getting hold of the game myself I guess.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is it really dead, or is there a chance of revival? :ohdear:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"That is not dead which can eternal lie..."

Rev. A.E.Hilated, First Church of the Old Ones, Harmony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
...and with strange archives even threads may die. That's why I asked.

• Locked thread