Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
My parents have been going for years now, originally grandfathered from an application added onto my grandmother's account there, back when they were the Price Club.

Adding a recent addition to the gratuitous snack foods, Bacon Cheeseburger Chips, from the maker of Beer Chips. They're delicious, even if they are a bit salty.

Oh, and I signed up so I could use their hearing center, where I'll be tested on the 19th, for the first time in over 20 years, since they were doing hearing tests during elementary school physical exams. Hopefully I'll find that my hearing isn't too lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Went to Costco for a big box of spinach yesterday. gently caress the haters.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Get the giant 2-packs of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. That's a great price too and will last a lifetime.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Just grabbed a 14lb Choice NY Strip Roast for $85, brought it home and carved it into 16 steaks. So drat good, NY Strip for $6/lb. A few years ago they carried 100% pure Kona coffee...it was like $25 for 2lbs. I remember buying $150 worth. It was the best coffee I ever had. They haven't brought it back since. :(

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Going to Costco RIGHT NOW, only wanna spend like $20 aside from their little cafe thing. What's the best thing you got?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

Going to Costco RIGHT NOW, only wanna spend like $20 aside from their little cafe thing. What's the best thing you got?

A rotisserie chicken, a 40 pack of water, and a bottle of wine

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Just grabbed a 14lb Choice NY Strip Roast for $85, brought it home and carved it into 16 steaks. So drat good, NY Strip for $6/lb. A few years ago they carried 100% pure Kona coffee...it was like $25 for 2lbs. I remember buying $150 worth. It was the best coffee I ever had. They haven't brought it back since. :(

Yeah this sucks. There was this spicy peppery hard cheese that they had that was so good. They also used to have this "Aronia Berry Juice" that they stopped carrying 10 years ago but man that poo poo was loving good.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
I live a 5 minute bike ride away from a Costco right now and when school ends next year and I have to move home I'll be a half hour subway ride away from one. Its just not fair.

They have the cheapest cottage cheese, coffee and natty peanut butter on earth, and its all great.

Costco fuckin rules. Even when you see 300 pound people eating hot dogs from the food court at 9:30 in the morning.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I'm having my wedding ceremonies in a costco. Among the pallets.

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
A wedding reception catered by Costco would be better than 80% of the reception meals I've eaten. Just be a doll and make sure you leave some aisles between the xtreem gaming chairs setup for the guests so people can get their carts past.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I always call the crank able condiment dispenser in the costco food court "the onion gin".
This amuses literally everyone I know.

Also, late hours in the dead days of Costco (tuesdays) I've had couple beers and a costco pizza in the food court with friends.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
For reals though, their turkey/provelone sandwich is loving good as hell.

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
Their chocolate chip cookies are pretty good from what I remember. Also the pizza is good for the first few bites at least if you're really hungry.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I just had one of those huge chicken curry in a box that feeds 6 for $5.

Lies, it only feeds one.

It was okay. Probably wouldn't buy it again though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

That kona they had was bloody awful and roasted to a cinder. Try getting some from a local roaster and you will go to heaven.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Philthy posted:

I just had one of those huge chicken curry in a box that feeds 6 for $5.

Lies, it only feeds one.

It was okay. Probably wouldn't buy it again though.

Try the Trader's Joe brand if you need a quick meal for one.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Raspberry Chipotle marinade.

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Raspberry Chipotle marinade.

Doubles as a pro-tier mixer for your handle of Kirkland tequila.

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

Try the Trader's Joe brand if you need a quick meal for one.

Trader Joes is basically the Costco for singles. It owns in it's own way but man there are a lot of bombshells at Trader Joes.

Probuys are like the Orange Chicken, canned beans (all varieties), vegetarian sausage, their margherita pizza, whole grain dijon mustard, mayo, some juices, hummus, Mac n Cheese, some dips/chips/crackers/pretzels, and some prepackaged meals (but some of them are really expensive for like a tiny rear end salad). Their breads are OK but they go bad within loving 2 days and their vegetable selection sucks dick. Their "sriracha" is an unholy anal devil masquerading as a condiment, it's loving nasty.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 9, 2014

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do the poors have to join to eat?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Xaris posted:

Trader Joes is basically the Costco for singles. It owns in it's own way but man there are a lot of bombshells at Trader Joes.

Probuys are like the Orange Chicken, canned beans (all varieties), vegetarian sausage, their margherita pizza, whole grain dijon mustard, mayo, some juices, hummus, Mac n Cheese, some dips/chips/crackers/pretzels, and some prepackaged meals (but some of them are really expensive for like a tiny rear end salad). Their breads are OK but they go bad within loving 2 days and their vegetable selection sucks dick. Their "sriracha" is an unholy anal devil masquerading as a condiment, it's loving nasty.
the y have a lot of cheese for cheap and eggs too

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

origami posted:

I have a few and keep blowing the crotch out

stop humping things!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

so how come costco can sell affordable stuff while still paying a living wage? is it lack of parasitic management and executive class?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

babypolis posted:

so how come costco can sell affordable stuff while still paying a living wage? is it lack of parasitic management and executive class?

They get excellent prices from their suppliers due to buying massive quantities, they save money by simply putting out pallets and not stocking shelves in the traditional sense, and they make a lot of money off membership fees. They also save money in a sense by keeping worthwhile employees around, paying them a bit more, and in return they have employees who like their jobs much more than your typical Walmart or Target employee. Then they don't have to go though the hassles of hiring and retraining retards every month.

Costco also only marks up their products by not more than a set amount, I want to say its 13% or so, and never more. So as a consumer, you can safely go into Costco and buy whatever knowing you wouldn't save much, if any, if you purchased it somewhere else instead.

The two Costco's I go to don't use any indoor lighting during the day. They have enough sunlights to thoroughly light the place, saving a lot of money on electricity.

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 9, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

babypolis posted:

Massive quantities, buying some poo poo on the "grey market", bare bones stores, 0 advertising, and membership fees.

I've heard that the product sales are almost a break-even and membership fees are really what makes the profit.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

babypolis posted:

Yeah, it's cultural rather than necessary or even good business. Investing in your labor force can even save you a ton of money and increase productivity.

Here's a 2006 article from Harvard Business Review:

quote:

Wal-Mart’s legendary obsession with cost containment shows up in countless ways, including aggressive control of employee benefits and wages. Managing labor costs isn’t a crazy idea, of course. But stingy pay and benefits don’t necessarily translate into lower costs in the long run.

Consider Costco and Wal-Mart’s Sam’s Club, which compete fiercely on low-price merchandise. Among warehouse retailers, Costco—with 338 stores and 67,600 full-time employees in the United States—is number one, accounting for about 50% of the market. Sam’s Club—with 551 stores and 110,200 employees in the United States—is number two, with about 40% of the market.

Though the businesses are direct competitors and quite similar overall, a remarkable disparity shows up in their wage and benefits structures. The average wage at Costco is $17 an hour. Wal-Mart does not break out the pay of its Sam’s Club workers, but a full-time worker at Wal-Mart makes $10.11 an hour on average, and a variety of sources suggest that Sam’s Club’s pay scale is similar to Wal-Mart’s. A 2005 New York Times article by Steven Greenhouse reported that at $17 an hour, Costco’s average pay is 72% higher than Sam’s Club’s ($9.86 an hour). Interviews that a colleague and I conducted with a dozen Sam’s Club employees in San Francisco and Denver put the average hourly wage at about $10. And a 2004 BusinessWeek article by Stanley Holmes and Wendy Zellner estimated Sam’s Club’s average hourly wage at $11.52.

On the benefits side, 82% of Costco employees have health-insurance coverage, compared with less than half at Wal-Mart. And Costco workers pay just 8% of their health premiums, whereas Wal-Mart workers pay 33% of theirs. Ninety-one percent of Costco’s employees are covered by retirement plans, with the company contributing an annual average of $1,330 per employee, while 64 percent of employees at Sam’s Club are covered, with the company contributing an annual average of $747 per employee.

Costco’s practices are clearly more expensive, but they have an offsetting cost-containment effect: Turnover is unusually low, at 17% overall and just 6% after one year’s employment. In contrast, turnover at Wal-Mart is 44% a year, close to the industry average. In skilled and semi-skilled jobs, the fully loaded cost of replacing a worker who leaves (excluding lost productivity) is typically 1.5 to 2.5 times the worker’s annual salary. To be conservative, let’s assume that the total cost of replacing an hourly employee at Costco or Sam’s Club is only 60% of his or her annual salary. If a Costco employee quits, the cost of replacing him or her is therefore $21,216. If a Sam’s Club employee leaves, the cost is $12,617. At first glance, it may seem that the low-wage approach at Sam’s Club would result in lower turnover costs. But if its turnover rate is the same as Wal-Mart’s, Sam’s Club loses more than twice as many people as Costco does: 44% versus 17%. By this calculation, the total annual cost to Costco of employee churn is $244 million, whereas the total annual cost to Sam’s Club is $612 million. That’s $5,274 per Sam’s Club employee, versus $3,628 per Costco employee.

In return for its generous wages and benefits, Costco gets one of the most loyal and productive workforces in all of retailing, and, probably not coincidentally, the lowest shrinkage (employee theft) figures in the industry. While Sam’s Club and Costco generated $37 billion and $43 billion, respectively, in U.S. sales last year, Costco did it with 38% fewer employees—admittedly, in part by selling to higher-income shoppers and offering more high-end goods. As a result, Costco generated $21,805 in U.S. operating profit per hourly employee, compared with $11,615 at Sam’s Club. Costco’s stable, productive workforce more than offsets its higher costs.

These figures challenge the common assumption that labor rates equal labor costs. Costco’s approach shows that when it comes to wages and benefits, a cost-leadership strategy need not be a race to the bottom.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I have a standing order with my Aunt (has a Costco membership) that whenever she goes, she gets me a pack of those Chocolate Chip Muffins.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blistex posted:

I have a standing order with my Aunt (has a Costco membership) that whenever she goes, she gets me a pack of those Chocolate Chip Muffins.

Oh the little muffin case that is two layers deep and sold in the bakery area?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, it's cultural rather than necessary or even good business. Investing in your labor force can even save you a ton of money and increase productivity.

Here's a 2006 article from Harvard Business Review:

Plus their current CEO told shareholders to gently caress off when they whined over giving the workers too generous benefits and pay compensation.

When you attract a higher income customers they pretty much expect things like good customer service and higher quality goods instead of the current Mad Max environment of you local Wally world.

On the more cynical side better benefits also helps to discourage the formation of unions in the store too.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
the gallon jar of jelly bellies (I'm 8 years old)

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

etalian posted:

On the more cynical side better benefits also helps to discourage the formation of unions in the store too.

this is true of whole foods as well

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
i've never even seen a costco, but i've been to sam's club a bunch. not impressed. there's only like 3 things i know of that are a good deal there-- oatmeal, candy, and toilet paper. almost everything is the same price (or more) for the same product at any grocery store.

Boner Medicine
Feb 1, 2014

Haverchuck posted:

the gallon jar of jelly bellies (I'm 8 years old)

Hell yeah. I buy one for the office 2-3 times a year. Makes for good conversation by the coffee counter.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Haverchuck posted:

this is true of whole foods as well

Ok but do you really want a bunch of hopeful undergrads with Upton Sinclair dreams trying to instill some kind of manifest destiny into the holistic good of the workforce and community Aura? Because that's what you're going to get once they are given the whim of an option to 'explore their unionhood'.

No. I just want some affordable tasty peaches. Fuckin' A.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Darth123123 posted:

Do the poors have to join to eat?

You can get in without a card if you say you're buying liquor, according to some guy on that thread about cheap mattresses on coupons and deals.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
This is a page late but gently caress that guy who hates La Criox.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

i've never even seen a costco, but i've been to sam's club a bunch. not impressed. there's only like 3 things i know of that are a good deal there-- oatmeal, candy, and toilet paper. almost everything is the same price (or more) for the same product at any grocery store.

Sam's Club isn't impressive. It's like the poo poo-tier hellscape version of Costco where everything is mediocre at best and the employees all want to slam their heads between two full pallets of motor oil cases.

Also I wound up just buying a 6-pack of Dust-Off because I ran out two months ago and there's no rain and -30% humidity for the next three weeks. And the BBQ beef sandwich is okay, probably should have done the turkey one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

babypolis posted:

you are a loving idiot

• Locked thread