Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Got this big project done on December 12th. Started it way back in August because I had finished the Sapphire/Ruby pattern and didn't have all the materials for the other thing I was planning. I had the initial idea that it wouldn't take very long but after a month and only finished Zelda off that thought got quickly banished. It would probably have taken me longer if I wasn't trying to finish it before the end of the year as a deadline I set myself. It's currently getting framed and then eventually be sent off as some sort of donation incentive for a marathon like SGDQ.

The next project, about the same size as this one, is the Hogwart's crest for a friend of mine. Denser aida cloth too which is making progress seem so much faster. After that, I think I'll be doing far smaller patterns to prevent further insanity from doing one colour for over a month. Already have an idea for Christmas gifts to my immediate family, taking Native American mythology (father earth, mother sky, brother bear, etc.) and setting them inside medium sized hoops or standard frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SpartanIV posted:

My big issue right now is that when stitching the yellow background, it pushes the rectangular patch into more of a rhombus shape.

I don't do machine embroidery, but wouldn't a heavier-weight stabilizer help with that?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't do machine embroidery, but wouldn't a heavier-weight stabilizer help with that?

So I've made huge progress since my last post, including correcting that issue.

The issue was really just being caused by the properties of Nylon. Even with a heavy weight stabilizer, the nylon ever so slightly stretches with each switch, so no amount of stabilizer will fix that. To fix it, I changed my fill stitch to horizontal instead of diagonal. That way it was stretching only left to right, which is easily accounted for in the overlapping width of the black border around the patch.

Here's one of the finished patches

ridiculous dinosaur
Jul 15, 2010

but seriously, guys. dinosaurs.

My first Embroidery project. I made it for a friend for Christmas.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Hi, stitchers!

It's been a while since I checked in - man, you guys all have GREAT projects going on! Lovely work from everyone that's posted!

My current project is slowly coming to fruition after several hiccups, including pulling out tons of stitching, spilling paint all over the drat thing, and a few weeks of frustration trying to decide how to proceed. I've made a little progress gallery, which is here:

http://imgur.com/a/d997a

Current state of the thing:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, do I love what you've done with the fur on the fox, the texture and the way you used stitches in different directions to suggest ruffled-ness.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

That fox is gorgeous! The work in this thread (ohoho) is amazing. I don't have any work of my own to post, but I was wondering if you had any more sources for embroidery patterns or practice templates. The links you posted at the beginning are great, but seem to be mostly outlines. My boyf is getting into embroidery and is looking for patterns with colour guides included.

Let me know if I am being super obtuse and the links you posted actually have those and I just missed them. I'm bad for overlooking things that are right in front of my nose. :sweatdrop:

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Machine embroiderers stand up!

So I digitized a thing for a friend, he wanted a tool mat for his paleontology tools or craft work or I don't know, I just like to make stuff so I said sure.

Then did some other fun 'ha ha' things from Starfleet Dental and added some leather applique

Applique came out pretty decent, had to use a razor to cut off the excess, the applique scissors just don't cut it literally with leather

I forgot one key piece, adding a gently caress Arus to the mat, so I made it into a pretty flower

All the embroidery came out great, after gluing the leather to the large mouse pad rubber I did a leather binding around the whole thing, think it came out pretty good.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

impossiboobs posted:

patterns with colour guides included.

In my (limited) experience, the only kind of patterns you're going to really find with color guides included are the cross stitched ones that are pre-printed on the fabric, or that come with a guide sheet. Or, I guess, if you can find some stitchalongs, those would have recommended colors listed. For the most part, the patterns you'll find on Pintrest or whatnot are just outlines and they're open to being colored however you like, which is part of the fun! Everyone works differently, so getting to the finished product is part of the adventure of embroidery.

my formal jorts
Oct 19, 2004
Can anyone with experience in tent stitch weigh in? I've got a pattern that only provides half the image so that you stitch a mirror image of it on the other side. So what I'm assuming you'd do is do one half of the piece with the stitch starting in the lower left hole and ending in the upper right hole of a square and then when you go to work the other side of the image you flip it and work the stitch from the lower right hole and end in the upper left. Is that right?

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

In my (limited) experience, the only kind of patterns you're going to really find with color guides included are the cross stitched ones that are pre-printed on the fabric, or that come with a guide sheet. Or, I guess, if you can find some stitchalongs, those would have recommended colors listed. For the most part, the patterns you'll find on Pintrest or whatnot are just outlines and they're open to being colored however you like, which is part of the fun! Everyone works differently, so getting to the finished product is part of the adventure of embroidery.

Eh, that's what I figured, but the boy, he is not so artistic, eh? I told him I'd colour them in for him but he'd rather have something like the diagrams in his embroidery tutorial books. Thanks for the advice, though! :)

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I finished my thing!

Aaand, for bonus points, the recipient with it just after I gave it to her. :v:

Now.... I am out of projects. I feel very untethered, with nothing left in my list of things to do. Like.... What is this feeling? Of not having projects hovering over your head, needing to be done?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Digitized, embroidered into leather and then created another mousepad for a buddy using his logo. I bought some 1.5mm foam 1' roll off Amazon and it turned out to be a bit thin on the final product end using 2oz leather, I had been trying to source a bulk roll of it from China at 1.1m tall and 80m long and glad I did a sample create before buying that much. Thinking 2.5 or 3mm would be better and Amazon should deliver it today.

I love experimenting like this

Also this is absolutely amazing, the flow of the foxes fur and the pop of the flowers is just perfect. Absolutely bang up job!

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 13, 2016

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Toddlers and beads, a match made in hell.

Edit: Bead embroidery, so cool, yes?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Allow me to revive this thread with a wedding/housewarming gift that I've been working on for two of my dearest friends:

All that's left to do is iron/mount/frame it, which should be fun since I've never actually finished a piece for framing before. :sweatdrop: I've got a few tutorials bookmarked for help, though!

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
That's great!

I've framed like one thing ever and from what I remember I just stretched it over poster board and taped it, and shoved it in the frame. It was not exactly super professional but it looked decent!

I recently finished a big project and now I have to work out how to frame it. The lady that I bought the pattern from basically matted it with fabric and then hung it like a quilt, which I really like, but I don't really know how to do it. I did go so far as to buy fabric for it and it's now sitting forlornly next to my roommate's sewing machine.

photo: http://imgur.com/loq2P7q

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I just finished this a couple weeks back for my best friend. It only took me two years to decide on this and sew it. :v:

I'm not a huge fan of all the extra space around the actual sewing, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a custom frame, so I went with a standard size. I suggest using something like Wonder Under and adhering it to a piece of foam core before you frame it.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I've always matted my embroidery the same way you would with a picture - leaving a little of the edge to go under the bits of the mat. I'll take a picture and edit it in tomorrow when my phone isn't dead.

I've never thought of doing it like this, but this looks very very good as well. My edges are always crap on whatever I'm doing so leaving them exposed is bleh.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

I've always matted my embroidery the same way you would with a picture - leaving a little of the edge to go under the bits of the mat. I'll take a picture and edit it in tomorrow when my phone isn't dead.

I've never thought of doing it like this, but this looks very very good as well. My edges are always crap on whatever I'm doing so leaving them exposed is bleh.

Thanks! My mom does all of hers that way and all her projects are very uhh, country? That might not be the right word, but I can't think of a better way to describe it. I like how it looks, but not for every project. I have some patterns I've been doing that I don't want to mount on fabric, so I need to figure out if I can just slap it on some foam core without the fabric eventually.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I forgot to do this the other day so whoops.

This is the (super lazy) way that I've always put my embroidery in mats, when I need to. The tape is tyvek - it's photography archival tape and it comes off the cloth easily and doesn't leave any residue, so if later I want to take it off it's easy and doesn't muck it up.

Anywho. Here's my most recent finished thing - a commission for one of my SCA equestrian friends, this is a mantle that goes on the back of his helm while he's jousting. I forgot to get a nicer photo of it before I passed it off to him, whoops.

Aaaaand, the project I just started, which is a small Nine Men's Morris board. Basically what I've done so far is gotten it as perfectly square as I can, and then gone in with a single bit of random thread to make a guideline for the final embroidering. Marking out all the measurements has taken me all frigging evening, ugh.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I recently found all my old cross-stitching stuff in a box I pulled out of storage.

I don't really have anything to show, but several years ago when I was in a phase of trying out several different hobbies, I tried cross-stitching because it completed this odd rectangle of video gaming, pixel art, and DIY framing. Figured I'd start with something relatively simple (in terms of colors needed) so I started doing the world map from Castlevania III:

(This screengrab is bad but you get the idea here.)

I haven't touched it in years and it's barely 10% done, but even if I never do another cross-stitch I'd like to finish this one. We'll see how it goes, I guess!

What's funny is that my wife was also working on her own cross-stitch before she even met me - a conversion of this art from Wind Waker:

She's been stuck on the couch for a while with bad anxiety, so maybe I should see if she wants to start this up again. It would be something for her to do besides stare at her TV/laptop and worry, anyway. :v:

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I recently found all my old cross-stitching stuff in a box I pulled out of storage.

I don't really have anything to show, but several years ago when I was in a phase of trying out several different hobbies, I tried cross-stitching because it completed this odd rectangle of video gaming, pixel art, and DIY framing. Figured I'd start with something relatively simple (in terms of colors needed) so I started doing the world map from Castlevania III:

(This screengrab is bad but you get the idea here.)

I haven't touched it in years and it's barely 10% done, but even if I never do another cross-stitch I'd like to finish this one. We'll see how it goes, I guess!

What's funny is that my wife was also working on her own cross-stitch before she even met me - a conversion of this art from Wind Waker:

She's been stuck on the couch for a while with bad anxiety, so maybe I should see if she wants to start this up again. It would be something for her to do besides stare at her TV/laptop and worry, anyway. :v:

Cross-stitch has always been really great for my anxiety! I would suggest starting a new project, though, rather than picking up an old one that's been set aside. It's easier to get excited about a fresh start!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Totally agree, seconding this. Stitching has done more for my mental health than 15 years of drugs and therapy was ever able to even begin to tap into.

Maybe go out to your local craft shop and surprise her with a handful of new colors + some fabric suitable, since you're familiar with cross stitch as well. Double points for bringing her a surprise gift! :D

Aimee
Jan 2, 2007

Time to resurrect this thread. WIP but I'm really feeling it:

The entirety of the text is a Carl Jung quote: "If your life seems like a nightmare, it's because you are afraid of your own dreams." -- Shadow Nightmares boss from Zelda: Link's Awakening :)

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Aimee posted:

Time to resurrect this thread. WIP but I'm really feeling it:

The entirety of the text is a Carl Jung quote: "If your life seems like a nightmare, it's because you are afraid of your own dreams." -- Shadow Nightmares boss from Zelda: Link's Awakening :)

That is extremely cool. :)
Is it any different stitching on dark cloth vs light? Like, harder to see? I've only ever used white.

Aimee
Jan 2, 2007

Aergo posted:

That is extremely cool. :)
Is it any different stitching on dark cloth vs light? Like, harder to see? I've only ever used white.

It's really not too much of a difference! I think it's *slightly* harder to see in low light conditions. I'm used to 18ct aida so I went 14ct with the black just to be safe but it hasn't been an issue. It was a good choice though, saved me over 10,000 extra stitches :D

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
Do any of you have experience in charting designs from a photo? I inherited a big oval quilt hoop from my grandmother and I want to cross stitch an adaptation of one of her quilts, and then frame it in the hoop. I've done lots of cross stitch but only from other peoples' patterns, so this is a bit daunting. Also daunting is that the design area is about 12x16 inches and I was thinking for max detail I should be doing this on something like 28 count aida. (I actually love big patterns but I've never worked on anything smaller count than 18.)

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I use a program called cstitch to generate cross stitch patterns from images - http://cstitch.sourceforge.net/ - I'm pretty sure someone in this thread pointed me to it in the first place. Anyway it's a little awkward to use, but once you get the hang of it, making cross stitch patterns goes pretty quickly. I whipped up a cute 5" square Calcifer pattern in about 20m yesterday, for instance.

So I'd try taking a really evenly lit photo of what you want to turn into a pattern, cropping it to just the piece you want, and using that image in cstitch to make a pattern.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Just wanted to say that I picked up a 6 x 6 Q snap frame a couple of weeks ago thanks to this thread and it was the best crafting purchase I have made in a long time. Never going back to hoops!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Starting a new project to celebrate being named my SCA Barony's Art & Science champion.

Freehand blackwork, heck yeahhhhhhh.

I also recently made this small biscornu to check out german brickwork technique. I really want to revisit this, but I've got to get a better ground fabric. This is 22 count hardanger and it's not tight enough, using 4 threads. Blech.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Where one project starts, another ends. After 5 and a half months, I've completed the Hogwarts Crest!

I had to adjust the top of the pattern and cut off the crest of the helmet to make it fit. I would have tried to add more backing aida but I was pushing to finish this before end of May. If I didn't spend my vacation week basically 5 hours a day on the black outlining, I wouldn't have finished in time. And I'm probably never going to do that dense amount of work again, it's exhausting!

Now to frame and wrap it up for a friend who had their birthday a month ago as a late gift. She doesn't know I was working on this at all and I'm hoping it'll be a really pleasant surprise.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Dang, that's awesome!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Where one project starts, another ends. After 5 and a half months, I've completed the Hogwarts Crest!

I love this!

I've just restarted a huge project with all of the major ASOIAF/Game of Thrones houses. It's a pattern for bookmarks that I found, but I decided making a long banner would be pretty sweet. I just realized I initially posted about this project in this thread two years ago. :v:

My one gripe is that the Martell's UNBROKEN is wimpy as poo poo compared to UNBOWED and UNBENT. As you can see, I tried to see if I can fit it if it's as large as the other two, but gave up. I think I can add two extra rows onto it without them being noticeable. The Tully banner is 38 stitches wide while the rest are 36 and I didn't notice until I started to count it all out. Buuut I think I did the math when I initially began and learned it's still too narrow even with an additional two rows.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Could you try a different font setting for UNBROKEN? The other patterns seem to give precedent for such an alteration.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Could you try a different font setting for UNBROKEN? The other patterns seem to give precedent for such an alteration.

Yeah! I actually found a font that's 6x3 and sometimes 6x4 that's just right. Behold my amazing Paint skills:

Not sure I care for the Es but it's an easy change if I decide against them. It'll probably take me another two years before I need to make that decision at any rate.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

That drat Satyr posted:

Starting a new project to celebrate being named my SCA Barony's Art & Science champion.

Freehand blackwork, heck yeahhhhhhh.

I also recently made this small biscornu to check out german brickwork technique. I really want to revisit this, but I've got to get a better ground fabric. This is 22 count hardanger and it's not tight enough, using 4 threads. Blech.

Aw, that's a really pretty biscornu, no blechs about it!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This thread is coming back, in a big way.

Hey guys! I just started cross-stitching, to have something to do while watching Let's Plays. Here's my first and second pieces.

The first one came from a kit that my dad gave me. The second is an edit of some fanart I got from a Facebook friend. Right now I'm working on a 12" by 12" piece of me and my best friend, shown below, along with my working station.

I use pic2pat.com to create patterns, but I'm definitely going to give cstitch a go.

I'm also looking to try out other methods than cross-stitch, but that's in the future. For now, I'm happy with my little X's.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Reviving this sorta-dead thread with a question for That drat Satyr:

How did you decide which direction to work your chain stitches for like your wolf bag and such? I've got a little fleur-de-lis pattern that's my first foray into non-cross stitch embroidery. I've used stem stitch for the outer edges of the flower stem so far but I was thinking of filling it in with chain stitch. Obviously my stem stitch has improved as I went along as well. Background I was figuring on doing klosterstitch for. Probably gonna rip out the chain stitching in the flower's sepal and redo that, I'm not happy with it, and I probably could have gone with one more stitch in the kind of turned-over portion of leaf that I filled in there.

Progress so far:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

taiyoko posted:

Reviving this sorta-dead thread with a question for That drat Satyr:

How did you decide which direction to work your chain stitches for like your wolf bag and such? I've got a little fleur-de-lis pattern that's my first foray into non-cross stitch embroidery. I've used stem stitch for the outer edges of the flower stem so far but I was thinking of filling it in with chain stitch. Obviously my stem stitch has improved as I went along as well. Background I was figuring on doing klosterstitch for. Probably gonna rip out the chain stitching in the flower's sepal and redo that, I'm not happy with it, and I probably could have gone with one more stitch in the kind of turned-over portion of leaf that I filled in there.

Progress so far:

Well, honestly there's no "right" way to pick stitch direction - The way I picked direction on my split stitch wolf bag was to think about how I wanted to try and depict the texture of the fur, and kind of make shapes with the "lines" of stitches and filled it in that way. It wasn't that obvious on the wolf because the outlines were in black and more stylized I suppose.

I tried to find a picture where I have sections marked out, and this is the best one I could find that shows kind of how I work:

Another thing - I didn't keep all of the stitches going in one direction - in fact, most of the time I work in a bit of a circular way on areas as I'm filling them in, unless there's something specific I'm doing.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Oh dope, I didn't know this thread (ha) was here.

I cross stitch portraits.

Deadpool - 3 inches on 18ct

Sarah Silverman - 3 inches on 18ct

John Oliver - 3 inches on 18ct

Ryan Gosling - 3 inches on 18ct

Elvis Presley - 3 inches on 18ct

Scroobius Pip - 7 inches on 18ct

David Bowie - Keyring size, about 1 inch tall, on 18ct

More here if you're into it: https://www.instagram.com/ksclark/

Looking forward to following this thread now I know it exists.