Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Commissar Ken posted:

Shhhhh. Don't crush his narrative. Even though despite the fact that the large majority of people who would be talking to you on an internet messaging board about video games had multiple consoles last generation so there wasn't really a "oh they only had access to this so they thought it was the best thing ever."

The whole thing is subjective anyway. For instance, if I were to have made a must-have list for the PS3, I wouldn't be listing games that others would swear by such as the Uncharted series or The Last of Us or whatever, but I would be listing stuff like the Yakuza games, most of Platinum's games, and Tokyo Jungle The Best Game On The PS3 (also this happens on pro-tier PS3 import Super Robot Wars Z3). Meanwhile, I could list Wii games all day that I thought were fun even if I don't think they're the Greatest Games Ever or fall under some niche genre that most people don't like. Also, Metacritic is poo poo so ignore that.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
This thread right now is pretty much

Person A: Suggest obscure game as a must have recommendation

Person B: Eh

Person A: Wow you have no taste you unfun scrub

Stick to the consensus picks and leave the niche cult games off

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Better idea: ban the unfun scrubs.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The whole thing is subjective anyway. For instance, if I were to have made a must-have list for the PS3, I wouldn't be listing games that others would swear by such as the Uncharted series or The Last of Us or whatever, but I would be listing stuff like the Yakuza games, most of Platinum's games, and Tokyo Jungle The Best Game On The PS3 (also this happens on pro-tier PS3 import Super Robot Wars Z3). Meanwhile, I could list Wii games all day that I thought were fun even if I don't think they're the Greatest Games Ever or fall under some niche genre that most people don't like. Also, Metacritic is poo poo so ignore that.

Well sure but I think we can all agree that Super Chunk from Yakuza 4 was the best thing ever.

Kaubocks posted:

Better idea: ban the unfun scrubs.

But then you'd have to go for being poo poo at Wonderful 101 and not liking it, scrub. :colbert:

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 20, 2014

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

JakeP posted:

This thread right now is pretty much

Person A: Suggest obscure game as a must have recommendation

Person B: Eh

Person A: Wow you have no taste you unfun scrub

Stick to the consensus picks and leave the niche cult games off

This is zip-ups vs. pullovers all over again! Zip-ups, btw.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Commissar Ken posted:

But then you'd have to go for being poo poo at Wonderful 101 and not liking it, scrub. :colbert:
That was the old thread. New thread, clean slate, cute gamers.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I have a Wii, well more to the point my wife has a Wii since I'm usually just doing the PC gaming thing but we didn't upgrade to the Wii U when it came out since it was horribly marketed and got panned pretty bad across the board. It looks like Nintendo fixed the image thing with it's showing at E3 but my question is would it be worth upgrading to the Wii U right now since it's a 2 year old console, my wife mostly plays the Lego title games (Harry Potter & Starwars) and Epic Yarn on her Wii but has shown a lot of interest recently in the Disney Infinity stuff which was just announced as only supporting Wii U from now on.

Also, what cutesie games for the Wii U would you recommend that are fun gameplay wise but not hard since she had a deprived childhood and the Wii was her first gaming console ever?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have a Wii, well more to the point my wife has a Wii since I'm usually just doing the PC gaming thing but we didn't upgrade to the Wii U when it came out since it was horribly marketed and got panned pretty bad across the board. It looks like Nintendo fixed the image thing with it's showing at E3 but my question is would it be worth upgrading to the Wii U right now since it's a 2 year old console, my wife mostly plays the Lego title games (Harry Potter & Starwars) and Epic Yarn on her Wii but has shown a lot of interest recently in the Disney Infinity stuff which was just announced as only supporting Wii U from now on.

Also, what cutesie games for the Wii U would you recommend that are fun gameplay wise but not hard since she had a deprived childhood and the Wii was her first gaming console ever?

Super Mario 3D World? Unless she sucks at platformers I suppose. It's around the middle, difficulty-wise, and I guess you have to get used to the controls if you're new to the game, but eventually, you'll be tearing up the stages.

Also has Peach as a playable character who can glide for a short while in the air so long as you hold down the jump button which should let you fix jumping mistakes and so on and on...

You could also try LEGO City: Undercover, which is basically a Lego game with an original premise.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ultigonio posted:

:mad:

Here's a quick look at what the Recommended Wii Games will look like:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20252

Feel free to let me know if you see something that makes you want to, like, blow homeless shelters up or set fire to daycares or something.

Instead of using covers, why not take a cue from the Vita thread OP and separate them into text lists by genre? It'd help people find what they might be interested in much more quickly.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
If you enjoy Advance Wars or Pikmin (maybe both?) go buy Battalion Wars. Someone else play this good game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Seconding the recommendation for Lego City Undercover. It's a great game, and it'd probably be right up your wife's alley if she likes Lego games. Also seconding Super Mario 3D World. There's a cat power-up. A cat power-up that lets you climb walls and pounce on enemies and the characters go "meow!" when they pick it up. :3:

For upcoming stuff, there's Yoshi's Whooly World, which is inspired by Kirby's Epic Yarn and looks way too adorable.

All in all I'd say, sure it's worth it to get a Wii U now. It's only two years old, like you said. There's be plenty of stuff coming out for it for the next several years, at least.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yoshis Wooly World is gonna be just your thing most likely, it's got co-op, and there's no death so it's extremely chill. Check out Kirbys Epic Yarn on the Wii if you want something relaxing and peaceful to play. Also Captain Toad comes out at the end of the year. If you want something out right now Mario is probably your best bet, although it does get quite challenging toward the end of the game.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

[Trauma Center] I'm sorry you hate fun

That game does suck on Wii though, when it was great on DS - not to mention it did loving suck to be burned by the game coming out with the name "Second Opinion", which makes it sound like a sequel to the first game when it was just a port. That was a pretty bullshit move to pull.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

gay skull posted:

That game does suck on Wii though, when it was great on DS - not to mention it did loving suck to be burned by the game coming out with the name "Second Opinion", which makes it sound like a sequel to the first game when it was just a port. That was a pretty bullshit move to pull.

Oh man, I didn't know that. Thanks. I have both Wii games in my to-play pile and was going to play New Blood first.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gay skull posted:

yeah but Trauma Team has an entire 1/4th of the game dedicated to butt stuff. So getting the series on the Wii by any means was worth it.

It's even mentioned multiple times that the girl even comes from a long line of proud butt doctors. So Trauma Team is the best out of the three.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 20, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Taint Reaper posted:

yeah but Trauma Team has an entire 1/4th of the game dedicated to butt stuff. So getting the series on the Wii by any means was worth it.

It's even mentioned multiple times that the girl even comes from a long line of proud butt doctors. So Trauma Team is the best out of the three.

No, I'm pretty sure they're just ninjas.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

No, I'm pretty sure they're just ninjas.

Ninjas who learned the ways of proctology because everyone kept sitting on their swords.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm pretty sure game series can jump from console to console without porting over one of the previous games.

I mean they could have at least called it "Trauma Center: Under the Knife: Wii Edition" or something, but gently caress me for thinking "Second Opinion" doesn't mean "Same loving game but with weird Wii controls". The game really didn't feel right at all without the stylus because I really liked how precise and quickly you could play, like it was an arcade surgery game where you could compete for score. I got into the first one, I even used two styluses and played it like a maniac there for a minute. The Wii version really didn't let you play so well like that - you couldn't use two remotes, and it wasn't precise like the DS could support. So it was a real letdown for me that New Blood and Team didn't get DS versions.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 20, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gay skull posted:

I'm pretty sure game series can jump from console to console without porting over one of the previous games.

I mean they could have at least called it "Trauma Center: Under the Knife: Wii Edition" or something, but gently caress me for thinking "Second Opinion" doesn't mean "Same loving game but with weird Wii controls"

Yeah I agree the name is confusing. Resident Evil 4 at least put Wii Edition on the label.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

gay skull posted:

I mean they could have at least called it "Trauma Center: Under the Knife: Wii Edition" or something, but gently caress me for thinking "Second Opinion" doesn't mean "Same loving game but with weird Wii controls"

Well, yeah, but then people wouldn't realize there was a whole new character added in who's playable in a later game.

Also Wii controls rule.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Calling Second Opinion a port seems kinda unfair, it's more like a remake. They added new operations, a new doctor, difficulty settings and it's got a totally different art direction.

Trauma Team never got an EU release unfortunately so I never got to play that one. :smith:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Calling Second Opinion a port seems kinda unfair, it's more like a remake. They added new operations, a new doctor, difficulty settings and it's got a totally different art direction.

Trauma Team never got an EU release unfortunately so I never got to play that one. :smith:

Yeah, but I feel like that's more along the line of DLC. Like, ten bucks worth of DLC at most. It's mostly the misleading title that makes my hemorrhoids flare up.

Strange Quark posted:

Well, yeah, but then people wouldn't realize there was a whole new character added in who's playable in a later game.

I feel like you guys are apologizing too much for the game, the title doesn't really say "hey there's a second character" out loud, it really comes off feeling like they're trying to say it's a sequel when it's not. I mean there weren't any big shiny stickers on the box that said "Now with more characters 'n' poo poo! This is Under the Knife that came out a year ago!", you've gotta be able to see how it's misleading. But then again of course it's an 8 year old game they haven't seen profit on since it went out of print ages ago so who cares. I want my Trauma Center 3DS.

elf help book what do you think

gay skull fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 20, 2014

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I think for a surgery game remake that has a new character added, the name "Second Opinion" was amazingly perfect.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In other news, Bayonetta 2 is confirmed to have nice water.

Cute status unconfirmed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Those last few pictures are insanely realistic :wow:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I was already planning on getting Bayonetta 2, but this totally cements it. I didn't realize they were going with a Belgium/Italy influence for the location. That church picture looks awesome.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I dunno where the complaints about precision regarding Trauma Center Wii are, I felt more precise doing surgery in all three titles than I did in either of the DS ones. Hell, part of the reason I like the Wii ones more is because all of your tools are mapped to the stick instead of making you reach to one of the sides of the screen.

Also I was partly recommending Trauma Center because it's a game that shows off the Wiimote's functions and capabilities really well, just like how The World Ends With You is great for using like all of the DS's functions and features.

Edit: Also, for the guy who was disappointed that New Blood didn't come to DS, Under the Knife 2 had a lot of New Blood's operations, so you can go halfway there.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Please you've seen Bayonetta in Samus and Princess Peach costumes. Those are adorable.

Fremry posted:

I was already planning on getting Bayonetta 2, but this totally cements it. I didn't realize they were going with a Belgium/Italy influence for the location. That church picture looks awesome.
It really does look nice. Given the opening level appears to be Chicago it looks like there's some globe-trotting in this one.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gay skull posted:

That game does suck on Wii though

I played a lot of the first DS game. Like an unruly amount. More than I should have. Loved it.

I'll be honest and say I only played about 15 minutes of the Wii version because I didn't own a Wii and my friend just picked it up from a thrift store for like $5 and I wanted to see how well it held up. I personally found the controls pretty precise but to be fair I wasn't looking to get a high rank at the time. I mostly wanted to push it and see how fast I could go being able to switch tools on the fly.

it was like drive by surgery

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

What's the over/under on Wii U Bayonetta 1 being the best version of the game?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

zenintrude posted:

What's the over/under on Wii U Bayonetta 1 being the best version of the game?

Kamiya said it preforms the same as the 360 version and has Nintendo costumes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I liked Trauma Center on Wii (only version I played) but I disliked the later levels with the tough viruses where it went from arcadey challenges that could resemble surgery, to demanding reflex puzzles involving abstract shapes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Whoops, turns out my link was to a blog post from last month. Here's one from this month.

Actually the whole blog is worth giving a look. Some of their posts are really technical things that get into the really nitty-gritty details (like that one about damage motion), while others are more about design work, but all of them are worth a read.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ChaosArgate posted:

Edit: I'm looking at that list and I think you could get away with dropping Metroid Prime 3 from it since you have the trilogy right next to it, and I'm just curious why NSMBWii and Brawl aren't on that list.
The major reason NSMBWii and Brawl aren't on there is because, were I to recommend "more NSMB" for someone, I would recommend the first game. As for Brawl, the only major reason for me to recommend it would be online play, and, well...

Holy hell, you people are way too fast for me. The reason this list exists is for people who didn't own a Wii or otherwise missed the vast majority of the quality titles on the system. If I pump it up with way too many things, then the list looks overwhelming.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ultigonio posted:

The major reason NSMBWii and Brawl aren't on there is because, were I to recommend "more NSMB" for someone, I would recommend the first game.

The DS one? When was the last time you played it?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I actually like what I've played of the NSMB series (everything except 2 :v:) with one major exception: the DS one. It just feels so bland compared to the Wii version. NSMBU is the best in the series without a doubt, but I think the Wii version is a good second.

The series is definitely about very small incremental improvements to the same formula, though. I can't fault anyone who is tired of it by now.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Recently enough to know that it feels significantly less repetitive than its Wii brother, if only by virtue of having some more interesting power-ups.
edit: But apparently I am wrong, so

The Taint Reaper posted:

That would reduce the Wii-U games to maybe 2 or 3.
This simply isn't true. Every single retail game scores above a 75 on Metacritic. Over half of them score 80 or higher. I guess if you made it so "90" was "generally well-received," then yes, you'd only have 2 games, but that would be mind-numbingly stupid.

edit:

Saoshyant posted:

List no more than ten games, those everyone deem universally good, then say something "Looking for more, check this list" and link to something like this or similar.
Did not see this before. This sounds like a good idea, so I think I will do it. I may list 15 for good measure.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 20, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Finally threw down the money for a Wii U today. I decided to get a refurbished model from Nintendo's online store. I ordered about 6 hours ago and the status page currently is listed as "order processing." Normally I wouldn't think anything of that but I specifically paid the extra to get overnight shipping and am wondering if that's normal. Has anyone else had experience with overnight ordering from Nintendo?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

Did not see this before. This sounds like a good idea, so I think I will do it. I may list 15 for good measure.

Glad you saw that Ultigonio, because I was going to say that's a great idea too.

13/f/cali posted:

Finally threw down the money for a Wii U today. I decided to get a refurbished model from Nintendo's online store. I ordered about 6 hours ago and the status page currently is listed as "order processing." Normally I wouldn't think anything of that but I specifically paid the extra to get overnight shipping and am wondering if that's normal. Has anyone else had experience with overnight ordering from Nintendo?

I did not order my Wii U overnight, but I did order a laptop with expedited shipping so I can say that's what I would expect. What time today did you order it? If I understand correctly overnight shipping is a service Nintendo pays the shipper for in order for them to try and ship it within one business day, it doesn't include things like time to process the order.

If you really want you could contact Nintendo to follow-up with it, but remember good things come to those who wait - you'll appreciate both your Wii U and life in general more if you're patient.

quote:

Bayonetta 2's nice water

Glad they picked such unique settings to replicate so accurately. Having never been to Europe it's really neat to see this kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
You heard it here first folks: https://twitter.com/ArmilloGame

If these guys had a huge following then I would literally be famous right now.
or they probably wouldn't have done that.

Also, don't buy Ice Cream Surfer the game blows, but you probably knew that! I say this as someone who enjoys these games, Jamestown is maybe my favourite indie game. This game is absolutely not worth money, the visuals don't save it at all honestly.

• Locked thread