Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Dip Morrison in tar and set him on fire.

That would secure his re-election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Paging cartoon
Comment on this http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/superannuation-the-coalition-helps-the-workers-20140902-10bfmg.html

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So the mining tax repeal has also lead to a bunch of small business tax concessions being scrapped.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/09/02/mining-tax-repealed-senate-0

'But but Labor.... '

I also have no idea why the url is about the mining tax.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Because part of the funds from the mining tax was going towards the shortfall in tax revenue that would've resulted from an increase in the superannuation contribution rate.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not sure why you are paging me. I only did the work to find out about labour productivity because it was being used as a weapon by the forces of darkness and I smelled poo.

In contemplating this issue this morning I actually did the mental question "Do I become a half baked authority on the impact of superannuation change in the Australian setting" and decided that no I don't. That said (IANAE):

This is just more neocon/liberal ideology at work. The alterations reduce pressure on upwards wage movement (This just alters where the wage earners money goes. Into the hand rather than long term savings). So for the sake of placating workers now you rob them in retirement. It also reduces the pool of national savings which erodes Australia's ability to compete globally in a globalised economy.

Unfortunately you don't have to go far to find similar levels of dumb:

The Arsetralian totally not being a spokesthing for the Minerals Council posted:

3 Sep 2014 The Australian ANNABEL HEPWORTH NATIONAL BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT
Coalition ‘too soft’ on Swan’s flawed legacy

THE former Labor government’s stimulus spending “left a loss of competitiveness as a lasting legacy” but the Abbott government has “undersold” the importance of budget repair to restore it. A blistering analysis to be released today undermines claims that 200,000 jobs were saved by the stimulus as being based on “spurious” Treasury modelling and finds the rescue package weakened the economy. It also says stimulus spending such as the $16 billion Building the Education Revolution “failed to deliver as originally expected and left a loss of competitiveness as a lasting legacy” by increasing imports and drawing resources away from the tradeable sector.

The paper — commissioned by the Minerals Council of Australia and written by Griffith University economics professor Tony Makin, a longstanding critic of the stimulus — sounds the alarm on the extent to which Australia’s competitiveness has “collapsed” since the turn of the century. The remedy, it says, is urgent industrial relations reform and cuts to spending by all levels of government. “The Abbott government has so far undersold the importance of fiscal consolidation to Australia’s competitiveness and to future economic growth,” the paper says. “It should broaden its fiscal repair message beyond the need for government to ‘live within its means’ … The Abbott government should construct a reform narrative more squarely around the need to reverse the slide in national competitiveness.”

The paper, to be launched by Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, comes as business leaders have been lining up to warn about the influence of the minor parties in the wake of Labor’s moves to oppose key planks of the budget in the Senate. Frustration has also been growing in corporate Australia about the slow pace of workplace policy change.
The new analysis appears to give backing to Joe Hockey’s belief that the federal budget was too soft, as it pushes hard for cuts to government spending over the short to medium term. “Overly expansionary fiscal settings of federal and state governments in Australia in the wake of the crisis, settings that have yet to be fully reversed, contributed to the dollar’s strength and have been a major homegrown source of the competitiveness problem,” it says.

It also cites foreign central banks policies weakening their exchange rates as having aggravated Australia’s competitiveness woes. The paper calls for spending cuts and backs this over tax hikes — a move likely to be welcomed by businesses as they turn their attention to the government’s promised white paper on tax reform. But Australia will not “durably” lift its competitiveness without also moving on labour market reform and the Coalition should “grasp this narrative and own it”. “Australia urgently needs a more searching national conversation about our international competitiveness,” the paper says. “In many ways, this is the missing link in the Abbott government’s economic narrative as it struggles to come to grips with Australia’s long-term budget predicament and looks to flesh out a meaningful agenda in areas such as tax, reforming the federation and industrial relations.”

The comments on the stimulus are likely to anger Labor, which has maintained its program kept Australia out of recession during the global financial crisis. Former Labor treasurer Wayne Swan, who oversaw the stimulus, has recently said there is a “battalion” of people “who will say anything to discredit stimulus purely for the ideological purpose of delegitimising government action in an economic crisis”. On Sunday he released a September 2011 letter from Treasury secretary Martin Parkinson congratulating him on being named by Euromoney magazine as the world’s finance minister of the year for policies contributing to the resilience of the economy following the GFC. He did this in a tweet that said Tony Abbott talked of economic emergencies but “Labor dealt with a real one”.

However, the new Minerals Council paper says it was “Asia that pulled the Australian economy along by buying commodities at elevated prices”. On the stimulus, the it says that, as a proportion of GDP in 2008-09, it was similar to the US, which was at the “epicentre” of the crisis, and exceeded the response of many economies whose banking systems had failed. Because of delays, the spending continued “well after the worst of any business cycle downturn”.

This (while actually ignoring the fact that Australia didn't go into recession during the GFC) paper relies on a supposed lack of competitiveness to push for a harsher IR system (lower wages). It seems strange that this is exactly what reducing our superannuation savings will do too and yet (given the timing) this isn't mentioned at all.

There is no shortage of goobledegook.

Here's the facts:

Someone else needs to be doing the 'heavy lifting' IR settings aren't the problem.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Who were the northsideish Brisbane goons who were interested in P&P RPGs I met at the Goonmeet?

Sing out or pm me. I have a spot open.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Are you confident that the delay in raising the superannuation rate will lead to higher wages?

7% Yes
93% No

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I mean, every employer that I know goes "hey, we decreased costs, I'll pass that onto my employees in the form of a payrise" all the time.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

I mean, every employer that I know goes "hey, we decreased costs, I'll pass that onto my employees in the form of a payrise" all the time.

Of course, the wealth trickles down don't you know?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's where it would naturally go.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Matthew Beet posted:

Of course, the wealth trickles down don't you know?

Why is the wealth wet, yellow and smelly? :confused:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I've got an idea for Peter Martin's next article. Attacks on the minimum wage are actually pro-employee, because if the employer is no longer forced to give a certain minimum wage to their employees, they can pass the savings they make onto their employees in the form of a wage increase.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I've got an idea for Peter Martin's next article. Attacks on the minimum wage are actually pro-employee, because if the employer is no longer forced to give a certain minimum wage to their employees, they can pass the savings they make onto their employees in the form of a wage increase.

I'm pretty sure I have seen someone use that argument before. And no, it wasn't in an onion piece.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Frogmanv2 posted:

I'm pretty sure I have seen someone use that argument before. And no, it wasn't in an onion piece.

No see if those other slackers don't get paid inflated wages that's more money for you, the Aussie battler, to be paid what you are really worth!

This is unironically what liberals believe, because they think it is possible for individuals to bargain effectively with business.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Happy Wednesday Auspoo

quote:

‪#‎BREAKING‬ Abbott Gov causes a 2nd ‪#‎refugee‬ death from Manus. Hamid Kehazaei, asylum seeker who developed septicaemia on Manus Island, declared brain dead. Learn more here: http://www.refugeeaction.org.au/?p=3461
Vale Hamid. Just 24 years of age. Had begged for days for medical treatment on Manus. Sorry Australia failed to protect you.

The hospital has told the family that a ‘guardian’ will be appointed at ‘some stage’ to decide on the withdrawal of life support. The family has indicated that they are willing for Hamid’s organs to be donated if that is possible.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Quantum Mechanic posted:

No see if those other slackers don't get paid inflated wages that's more money for you, the Aussie battler, to be paid what you are really worth!

This is unironically what liberals believe, because they think it is possible for individuals to bargain effectively with business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptRdD3Q45tU&t=20s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, I dunno what was up with Martin's article. He's usually better than that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Begging for help and yet the poll numbers for the Coalition keep rising.

Bill Shorten save us!

"No"

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Is this HR Nicholls thinking it makes them look good or is this like a parody PR account

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://www.afr.com/p/national/what_the_super_delay_means_to_you_WxH8TmkJX2AiOXGgnTVOFK

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I dunno what was up with Martin's article. He's usually better than that.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Joe Hockeys Scrote posted:

Happy Wednesday Auspoo

The hospital has told the family that a ‘guardian’ will be appointed at ‘some stage’ to decide on the withdrawal of life support. The family has indicated that they are willing for Hamid’s organs to be donated if that is possible.

Hang all Australians.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Is this HR Nicholls thinking it makes them look good or is this like a parody PR account

Apparently it's a "horrible" thing that it's illegal to work more than 55 hours in a week in Argentina. HOW INFLEXIBLE! Who in their right loving mind can think, "Oh sure I'd like to have people work 60 hours a week, that surely can't be bad for them and their long term productivity.".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bye bye Bart

Garry Edwards looks like the next on the hit list

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

You Am I posted:

Bye bye Bart

Garry Edwards looks like the next on the hit list

Wow, it takes some balls or some crazy to deny under oath a bribe you solicited

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LordNagash posted:

Wow, it takes some balls or some crazy to deny under oath a bribe you solicited

It's a dog eat dog world.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
There is no need for a federal ICAC.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/icac-putting-me-out-of-business-says-tinkler/story-e6frgczx-1227041848319

:qqsay: "ICAC putting me out of business"

The Aus posted:

FORMER Labor factional heavyweight Joe Tripodi flew to Newcastle in a helicopter to meet the proponent of a coal loader­ ­because he was interested in ports policy, he told the Independent Commission Against Corruption yesterday.

And former coal billionaire Nathan Tinkler — whose company wanted to build the coal loader — complained yesterday that the ICAC had made it impossible for him to continue his coal business and demanded it drop all allegations against him.

Asked why a backbencher for a western Sydney seat would be helping Mr Tinkler’s interests in obtaining approval for a coal loader, Mr Tripodi said he had a longstanding interest in public policy and ports since he had been the minister for ports.

His interests were not confined to his Sydney-based seat of Fairfield, he said.

ICAC has obtained notes of the meeting of that day written by Buildev executive David Sharpe which said that Mr Tripodi would get theN treasurer Eric Roozendaal to stop the Newcastle Port Corporation from considering a rival proposal for a container ­terminal.

Mr Tripodi said he had no recollection of this, and no memory of contacting Mr Roozendaal.

Asked why ICAC should not draw the inference that he had got Mr Roozendaal to stop the container terminal proposal, Mr ­Tripodi said there were many other alternative explanations for Mr Roozendaal’s actions.

ICAC also obtained a note written by Mr Tripodi in which he suggested that Buildev buy a property at Edmondson Park in Sydney’s west because it was in a government-designated growth zone and the government agency Landcom would eventually buy it.

Asked why he had done that, Mr Tripodi snapped that it was just a courtesy. “Maybe you do nothing for anyone, but I do.”

Mr Tripodi said the property was owned by Joseph d’Agostino. Mr d’Agostino has previously been named as Mr Tripodi’s lawyer and has also acted for Gazcorp, a shopping centre developer which is the subject of the current inquiry into illegal donations.

Earlier, Mr Tinkler’s solicitor made an application for all allegations against him to be withdrawn, saying that he was flying to Wall Street next week to raise $500 million, but might be ­refused finance because of the current inquiry.

Harland Koops said: “They say to him you are a corrupt businessman running a Tinkler scheme to bribe politicians in the state of NSW, and they show him the door.”

Commissioner Megan Latham refused, saying she had to wait until she had heard all the evidence before making findings.

Mr Tinkler told ICAC he knew nothing about giving $53,000 to the Free Enterprise Foundation which found its way to two Liberal candidates in seats where Buildev had developments.

He told ICAC that he thought he was giving the money to the federal Liberal Party.

Londonderry Liberal MP Bart Bassett received $18,000 from Buildev, washed through the Liberal-aligned foundation, from another Tinkler company, Board-walk Resources.

Another $35,000 was given to Newcastle Liberal Tim Owen’s campaign.

Donations from property developers such as Buildev are ­illegal in NSW elections, although allowed under federal electoral laws.

Mr Tinkler said he did not even know who Bart Bassett was. “I was shocked it went anywhere else … (former National Party leader) Mark Vaile was the guy who ­always asked me for donations to the Liberal Party.

“I just wasn’t close to this stuff. If they said they were giving $50,000 to the federal Libs I’d say OK. But I never took care of the detail.”

He attempted to distance himself from the actions of executives of Buildev. “Buildev is not me. I own 9 per cent in Buildev.”

Boo fuckin hoo.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

hahaha. "I can only run my coal business by bribing politicians" - This is a problem?
Next up "How am I supposed to run my child landmine factory if I can't supplement revenue by importing smack?"

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

quote:

Asked why he had done that, Mr Tripodi snapped that it was just a courtesy. “Maybe you do nothing for anyone, but I do.”

Maaate, it's just a favour for a mate, maaaaaaaate!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Those clowns in parliament did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

Wow, how does he get such fresh material

Don't praise the machine

/dj3000

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Yeah, I can't really say I'm feeling sympathy for Tinkler. Isn't he the shitlord that didn't pay his football team or something?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, I can't really say I'm feeling sympathy for Tinkler. Isn't he the shitlord that didn't pay his football team or something?

He's the shitlord that didn't pay a whole bunch of suppliers, employees and contractors.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

CrazyTolradi posted:

He's the shitlord who bought a team and didn't pay anyone anywhere if he could get away with it. Somehow he was seen as the saviour of Newcastle even though he ripped everyone off.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Team was hosed without him(aka an NRL club that doesn't run on pokey money) , Team was hosed with him aswell it turned out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Tinkler fucks entire football team!'

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SynthOrange posted:

'Tinkler fucks entire football team!'

it's that weird circle jerk scandal all over again

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Tinkler pisses in own mouth" definitely works, just gotta work in something about getting fellated by a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

CrazyTolradi posted:

Apparently it's a "horrible" thing that it's illegal to work more than 55 hours in a week in Argentina. HOW INFLEXIBLE! Who in their right loving mind can think, "Oh sure I'd like to have people work 60 hours a week, that surely can't be bad for them and their long term productivity.".

• Locked thread