Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

DS Castlevanias were incredible.

Are older handheld Castlevanias playable on an emulator? Everyone keep saying that older Castlevanias are the best Castlevanias except actual Castlevania and Castlevania 2 for NES which are apparently the worst Castlevanias save for 3d Castlevanias. Those Castlevania screenshots earlier in this thread made me want to play a Castlevania, what Castlevania would be a better Castlevania to play first in your opinion Castlevania?

Alucard is an incredibly weird character though, it's like having a WW2 game with a freedom fighter character called Reltih

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
the colors in the nes castlevanias are so good. i mean its just the nes palette but the way they exploit the gnarly black linework in the backgrounds looks just like a badly colorized b&w horror movie and it owns

Zeluth posted:

I like this part.

it own s

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

blainestereo posted:

DS Castlevanias were incredible.

Are older handheld Castlevanias playable on an emulator? Everyone keep saying that older Castlevanias are the best Castlevanias except actual Castlevania and Castlevania 2 for NES which are apparently the worst Castlevanias save for 3d Castlevanias. Those Castlevania screenshots earlier in this thread made me want to play a Castlevania, what Castlevania would be a better Castlevania to play first in your opinion Castlevania?

Alucard is an incredibly weird character though, it's like having a WW2 game with a freedom fighter character called Reltih

rondo of blood

there's a translation of the pc version out on the internet, it rules and your only other options are trying to figure out how the pc-engine emulators work or playing a crappy psp remake

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

how did I just now learn about holding select or start when launching vc or ds games on a 3ds xl to run them in their native resolution

hmmmm guess I'm stupid

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

AE-35 Unit posted:

how did I just now learn about holding select or start when launching vc or ds games on a 3ds xl to run them in their native resolution

I didn't know this either, but fuckit all castlevania games have poo poo graphics anyhow.

also how has the 3ds been out like 6 years and doesn't have a decent metroidvania when the DS and GBA had like 4 a year.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
harmony of despair is freaking awesome incredible. when i owned my 360 i bought it and the xtras and had a ball. it was the only thing i regret losing when i sold my 360 and got rid of my xbox account.

so i bought it on PS3 instead :getin:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BrettRobb posted:

I didn't know this either, but fuckit all castlevania games have poo poo graphics anyhow.

also how has the 3ds been out like 6 years and doesn't have a decent metroidvania when the DS and GBA had like 4 a year.

they didn't sell well

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

BrettRobb posted:

do your eyes not work goddamn

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
name one good castlevania game with a vertical resolution above 240p. Honestly I've come to expect and accepted that they're going to look like rear end.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BrettRobb posted:

name one good castlevania game with a vertical resolution above 240p. Honestly I've come to expect and accepted that they're going to look like rear end.

harmony of despair??????????

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
low res != ugly

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
yea, i get that, which is why i've said I've looked past it for years???

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

People keep saying Belmonts use whips but then you play the game and no, they use a loving ball and chain.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Curse of Darkness and lament of innocence are good

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

darealkooky posted:

rondo of blood

there's a translation of the pc version out on the internet, it rules and your only other options are trying to figure out how the pc-engine emulators work or playing a crappy psp remake

It's also on Wii Virtual Console.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Great Joe posted:

People keep saying Belmonts use whips but then you play the game and no, they use a loving ball and chain.

My favorite part of this is the upgrade itself is called a morningstar, and that's not even loving close to what it is

Also the Castlevania games have awesome graphics. Simon's Quest and everything post-SotN aside. Although the GBA and DS games had gorgeous backdrops the sprites were usually recycled and the "animation" of anything larger than your size is basically just rotating an arm or something.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
What the gently caress is with the lack of music-talk in this thread anyway? Castlevania has one of the best soundtrack libraries of any media series to date, film included.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Mach2 posted:

My favorite part of this is the upgrade itself is called a morningstar, and that's not even loving close to what it is

if thats a morningstar what is a mace

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jackie D posted:

if thats a morningstar what is a mace

ditch the spikes, make it light enough to use with one hand

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mach2 posted:

What the gently caress is with the lack of music-talk in this thread anyway? Castlevania has one of the best soundtrack libraries of any media series to date, film included.

it really whips the vampires rear end

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I 100% Aria of sorrow years ago but I want to play it again with the caveat of not wanting to actually slog through it correctly

How do I most effectively cheese the poo poo put of this game

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

ForeverSmug posted:

I 100% Aria of sorrow years ago but I want to play it again with the caveat of not wanting to actually slog through it correctly

How do I most effectively cheese the poo poo put of this game

Get good and learn how to beat it in like three hours based off muscle memory. It's what I did and I'll never look back.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If I want to play SOTN on the Vita, should I pick up the actual PSN classic for like $4 which is on sale or should I get the PSP Dracula X which also has SOTN as an unlockable for $15? I never played Dracula X but I'll probably just end up playing SOTN mostly

Is it still really hard to emulate the DS games I have the actual carts for them still but was just curious

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
dracula X has new voice acting for sotn, which means you miss out on WHAT IS A MAN (although new dracula still devours the scenery) and other assorted goofyness and you also get a way way way worse alucard

if you don't really give a gently caress then go ahead because rondo of blood (specifically the retro version you unlock) is the best castlevania ever

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Get good and learn how to beat it in like three hours based off muscle memory. It's what I did and I'll never look back.

ty for the nonanswer you extreme queer

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

ty for the nonanswer you extreme queer

what else am i here for

Really though there's no gimmick strategy other than "equip thing with highest attack at any given time." It's not a super breakable game.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Well at least that's a reason. Games that don't break are gay. I was hoping there was something like how you can get the jeweled knuckles in sotn

I did find the best way though: immediately get merman then grind zombies to get baselard, get ghost, use until you get double jump, go get the lucky charm at the entrance, then skip ahead to the floating garden and get lightning doll, Medusa, and kicker skeleton. At some point I got a broadsword which was the first weapon upgrade I needed.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

lol if you don't get Curly soul immediately and just charge into everything as a huge fuckoff bellydancer demon for the rest of the game

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

You don't meet curly until you get double jump

Its okay but too situational

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Curly, Kali, whatevs" -some konami employee

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

All video games exist to discredit the gods of non japanese nations. This is why they show up as murderable monsters in Japanese games so often. You are literally committing proxy ethnic cleansing

I heard this from a secret cabal of elite Japanese businessmen

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ForeverSmug posted:

All video games exist to discredit the gods of non japanese nations. This is why they show up as murderable monsters in Japanese games so often. You are literally committing proxy ethnic cleansing

I heard this from a secret cabal of elite Japanese businessmen

squaresoft running the long con

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

castlevania is extremely my poo poo and the ds games were fun but extremely forgettable except for order of ecclesia which owned

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

castlevania is extremely my poo poo and the ds games were fun but extremely forgettable except for order of ecclesia which owned

Same except not at all

All the day games.were good

The western ones don't count

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I broke my d button playing SotN on a keyboard. Thanks konami.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I broke my d button playing SotN on a keyboard. Thanks konami.

SotN broke my D. I will never find a Video Game Character as attractive as Alucard and can only get an erection from looking at spritework and character portraits of Alucard. Thanks Konami except unironically, this is a great way to live

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Okay so I thinked a lot about Castlevania here for a bit. I was playing Aria of sorrow and was getting extremely annoyed and bored with it till I hit... I dunno, it I think it was like right in the middle of the arena. It was like hitting a brick wall of fun. After you hit a certain point the game stops being about trudging around from point a to point b with lovely weapons and you start getting enough souls to start solving puzzles and exploring and you start getting items that do unique things instead of "+4 con"

It made me think about the people (like egoraptor) who talk about how much better Castlevania 1/super Castlevania are instead of sotn, or, God help me, the people who preferred lords of shadow because it was closer to the others ("it is more like a linear arcade game. This is a positive.") Not saying the arcade style Castlevanias are bad (lords of shadow is absolute poo poo though,) but they're completely different types of games, and there's a tendency among people who prefer the arcade ones to talk about how the sotn-style ones are bad because they "aren't challenging" or "aren't focused."

The difference is that the sotn Castlevanias are meant to be great big scavenger hunts. Being unfocused is kind of a net positive because its all about offering as much variety as possible. Its like getting access to a great big toybox and messing around in it.

That sort of brings me back around to my problems with Aria for a while: the curve was all hosed up in favor of endgame stuff, and nothing you did at the beginning mattered after a while. Symphony did a way better job of giving you interesting toys early in the game.

It's kind of an issue that once you start being able to get unique gear you start being able to steamroll everything though, which kind of makes things less interesting. Most of the enemies are balanced like rpg enemies and are just sacks of HP. Really what konami should do is make enemy encounters interesting to fight with the tools they give you.

Killer Mantle's a great example: once you have it, you can swap enemies HP and MP, letting you instantly kill super high HP enemies. It makes encounters into puzzles, and lets you utilize your resources in interesting ways.

I dunno, it's a shame the series is pretty much dead because they've still never really "got" the formula yet.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
They got the formula in 1989.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Agag posted:

They got the formula in 1989.

• Locked thread