Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

In It For The Tank posted:

The Laws of Gods and Men (Season 4, Episode 6)

Technically, The Watchers on the Wall (Season 4, Episode 9) doesn't either. Jon Snow, quite famously, is not a Stark.
Eh, he's close enough. He's got Stark blood running through him no matter what interpretation you subscribe to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I was hoping this would be the season where they replaced all the dead characters with a bunch of new fat ones just to confuse the TV show only people.

Yellow Whale. Manderly. Doran Martell. Maybe even a little Strong Belwas, although he's more acrofatic than anything.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just thought I'd point out all 3 dunk and egg novellas are available on Kindle now, since a lot of people are under the impression they're hard to get ahold of:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVO6FS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KSRB1PWI5VK9&coliid=IR6NNKZFH6SMZ
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC0Y0Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KSRB1PWI5VK9&coliid=I27QT91XKRY0UB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEBUPSM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KSRB1PWI5VK9&coliid=I7HMVK6FE7XNU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BillBear posted:

They still have to find some way to make Tyrion hate Jaime and make him willing to kill Tommen, other wise he would never side with Dany because she's totally going to kill them.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but Tyrion & Jaime didn't part on particularly good terms in show did they? I remember it wasn't as bitter and twisted as it was in the books since Jaime didn't mention the Tysha thing, but I don't remember them parting as buddies?

Regardless, Tyrion's angry enough at the entire Kings Landing court that he'll side with Dany anyway. Maybe if she ever arrives (:laugh:) they're planning to have Tyrion spare Jaime or something. Tommen I don't think will factor in, as I don't think he'll be alive by the time Dany arrives (neither will GRRM :shivdurf:)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

webmeister posted:

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but Tyrion & Jaime didn't part on particularly good terms in show did they?

They parted with a big loving hug.

Show-Tyrion loves Show-Jaime, that's just how it's gonna be. But nevertheless, his circumstances are still gonna take him towards Dany.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 20, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I reckon Varys is going to turn Tyrion against Jaime somehow.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
"Did your beloved brother never tell you the truth about Tysha? Oh my..."

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
It's worth noting that Book Tyrion had some pretty mixed feelings regarding Jaime in ADWD. Their parting was ugly, but after some time had passed Tyrion didn't seem really sure how he felt about Jaime. It certainly wasn't the kind of hate he had for Cersei, whom he has every intention of killing once he can return to Westeros and makes no secret of that to other people. I think that Tyrion would hesitate to kill Jaime if he was given the chance, despite the Tysha stuff.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Yeah, it's clear that some vestige of how much Tyrion thought of his brother is left over, even after the betrayal and deceit and the lying about Joffrey. That's probably why they didn't make their relationship more complicated in the show. They'll have gone through so much poo poo by the time they reunite they're gonna be best bros again. And then there will be more bro hugs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yureina posted:

It's worth noting that Book Tyrion had some pretty mixed feelings regarding Jaime in ADWD. Their parting was ugly, but after some time had passed Tyrion didn't seem really sure how he felt about Jaime. It certainly wasn't the kind of hate he had for Cersei, whom he has every intention of killing once he can return to Westeros and makes no secret of that to other people. I think that Tyrion would hesitate to kill Jaime if he was given the chance, despite the Tysha stuff.
Jaime was as much a tool of their father as Tyrion was, after all. Even if Jaime was a much more beloved and well-maintained tool, a sword compared to a Tyrion being a scoop you use to clean out the commode. Every time Jaime has betrayed Tyrion it was Tywin's hands behind it.

Cersei, meanwhile, has been more than happy to make Tyrion's life worse entirely of her own accord.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

New WotW post has pics of the Daznaks pit scene from this season.

Tyrion is sitting up in the dais with Dany, Hizdahr, Missandei, and Daario while Jorah fights in the pit

:getin:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

this_is_hard posted:

Tyrion is sitting up in the dais with Dany, Hizdahr, Missandei, and Daario while Jorah fights in the pit

Scenes with Dinklage and Clarke that aren't in the book is like the most predictable change they could make.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Scenes with Dinklage and Clarke that aren't in the book is like the most predictable change they could make.

But you can't pretend its not a change for the better from the Tyrion circus/slave poo poo that the book had.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

Oooh, that's interesting. I can't wait to see Dany's interactions with Tyrion.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Tyrion eats the locusts.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was almost 100% sure that Tyrion and Dany were gonna be interacting in the pit while Drogon was having his fun, but I wasn't expecting this Tyrion on the the dais stuff. I'm curious.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Surprised Barristan doesn't appear to be up there with the others.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Wallet Inspector posted:

Surprised Barristan doesn't appear to be up there with the others.

Barristan confirmed for getting killed by the Sons of the Harpy.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Jorah fighting in the pits would be so drat badass but why would it happen?

Also looks like Grey Worm indeed bites it, since he's not there. :(

BillBear fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 20, 2014

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Barristan confirmed for getting killed by the Sons of the Harpy.
It'll happen off-screen to ensure that we never get to see Barristan do anything close to fighting.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I am so pro bringing Tyrion and Danaerys together this season rather than endlessly teasing it for 15 years like GRRM did, this is excellent.

Nice switch around by having Jorah fighting in this pits rather than Tyrion, something tells me he's going to be the one to sway Dany into saving his life as well.

Introducing Tyrion earlier into Dany's court intrigue could save both of their independent meandering storylines, honestly.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
What I'm getting is that D+D really don't want any more disconnected plots: no Kingsmoot or Aegon, the queenmaker plot is now part of Jaime's story, and Tyrion becomes a part of the existing Essos crew instead of doing his own separate thing. It addresses one of the most common criticisms of Feast and Dance so it makes sense that they'd do it. Can't wait to see if they can pull it off.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

Also pictures of what appears to be a short haired Cerci disrobing. Looks like they are going full on with the walk of shame.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This season's gonna fuckin' own.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also pictures of what appears to be a short haired Cerci disrobing. Looks like they are going full on with the walk of shame.

I haven't seen the pictures, but didn't all the set reports from that confirm that the actual nudity was done by a body double?

I'm surprisingly excited about Tyrion being on the dais with Dany and Hizdahr - is it just me or does it look like Dany's in a wedding dress of some sort? I wonder how they'll handle Drogon's arrival? And whether the whole "Battle of Meereen" thing is actually going to happen - maybe the Pale Mare is cut as well?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

webmeister posted:

I haven't seen the pictures, but didn't all the set reports from that confirm that the actual nudity was done by a body double?

I'm surprisingly excited about Tyrion being on the dais with Dany and Hizdahr - is it just me or does it look like Dany's in a wedding dress of some sort? I wonder how they'll handle Drogon's arrival? And whether the whole "Battle of Meereen" thing is actually going to happen - maybe the Pale Mare is cut as well?

Yeah, I think that's all gone. No Xaro Xhoan Daxos, no Green Grace, no Shavepate, no Brown Ben Plumm, and the Yunkai situation seemed to be dealt with last season. All this points to streamlining Meereen completely. Tyrion and Jorah will probably still arrive with the Yellow Whale, but peacefully rather than in war.

I imagine Dany's arc will look something like this:

Dany struggles to maintain control as the Sons of the Harpy kill her men.

Daario and Hizdahr return from Yunkai. Yunkai is completely pacified because Daario is perfect.

Hizdahr offers to use his influence among the Great Masters to end the killings in exchange for her hand in marriage.

Dany angst for like one scene about Daario before she agrees to do it.

For the wedding, an elaborate celebration is prepared for the new King and Queen of Meereen.

The Yellow Whale is one of the wedding guests, and he brings his "troupe" (actually prized pit fighters) to dazzle Dany (plus arouse her with their arousal) on the day of the wedding.

Tyrion does something like pretend to be Jorah's manager and offers to pit Jorah against the Yellow Whale's fighters for sport. I'm trying to account for his position of privilege on the dais.

On the day of the wedding, Jorah battles in the pit while Tyrion and Dany watch from the dais. The blood draws Drogon and Dany rides him away.

Dany's season ends with her in grasslands.

In Meereen, Dany's disappearance triggers some kind of a revolt. In the chaos, the dragons are released (either by Meereenese who want to kill them or Dany supporters who want to free them), maybe? Final shot of the season is Rhaegal and Viserion firebombing something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Quandary posted:

But you can't pretend its not a change for the better from the Tyrion circus/slave poo poo that the book had.
I'm gonna miss Tyrion's riverboat adventure with the Golden Company tbh, I thought it was the best part of Dance

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think Tyrion's ever going to be with Yezzan. I think Daario is going to buy Tyrion out of curiosity, Tyrion will explain who he really is, then Daario will introduce him to Dany.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 21, 2014

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Actually, Tyrion on the dais with Dany raises a pretty interesting question - how does he get up there, and does she know who he is?

He can't exactly go in disguise or under a false name, since Barristan would recognise him.

But Barristan also doesn't really know anything about Tyrion's time as Hand (since he left the capital before it happened), so they don't really have any proof that he isn't a Lannister spy or agent of the Crown.

Although we as viewers understand Tyrion's motivations and know why he's there, Dany isn't privy to that information and it's going to be pretty hard to take if she just immediately trusts him blindly. And I wonder what's become of Varys?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
It would be rather funny if they skipped the battle of Meereen altogether.

Yezzan's been cast, so he's in. My guess is the safest - Hizdahr buys/employs-under-a-year-contract Tyrion at some point. Tyrion wants to have a look at the new queen, and being close to the king ain't bad, either, so it's fine on his end, too.

The season ends exactly as in ADWD, with Dany flying away without ever learning who Tyrion is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There have been rumors Varys shows up in Dorne after he sees Tyrion on his way to Essos.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I would be surprised if Daenerys both meets Tyrion this season AND flies away in a dragon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I would be surprised if Daenerys both meets Tyrion this season AND flies away in a dragon.

I'd be surprised is she flies away on a Dragon at all. They have three seasons left, they aren't going to piss it away on a diversion that will most likely end up with her back where she started.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm not convinced Tyrion is really supposed to be in the scene - it's just Peter Dinklage, before or after filming nearby. They aren't shooting right then, you see the water bottles.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
While that is possible it seems very unlikely. Tyrion is in what looks like fancy clothes and sitting in the last remaining chair on the platform.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I hope they bring in some elephants and war boars, seeing some boars disembowel some pit fighters would be pretty drat cool, I loved how the book hypes up that lady warrior who ends up getting owned hard by the boar.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's going to be really interesting how this next season shapes up. While Feast and Dance are easily the worst of the books and making significant changes has a lot of potential, in the past the show has been really hit or miss with making up new material or diverting significantly from the novels.

We could get something really interesting and satisfying like Brienne and the Hound fighting, or really stupid and obnoxious stuff like Dick Leeches and the Fookin Gin Alley Legend.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd be surprised is she flies away on a Dragon at all. They have three seasons left, they aren't going to piss it away on a diversion that will most likely end up with her back where she started.

Yara.

If Tyrion does get that close to Dany, Barristan must get killed prior to that scene, right?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

PriorMarcus posted:

This assuming that Dany returns to Meereen at all. Martin said that Tyrion and Dany spend a large part of TWOW apart.

She probably goes by land while Victarion, the dragon(s) and some others move by sea.

So if she flies away and something happens to oust the majority of other Westerosi off Meereen (a Hizdahr coup, a move by Euron, a decision to return, whatever), the books and the series will be functionally the same in this regard.

bowser posted:

Yara.

If Tyrion does get that close to Dany, Barristan must get killed prior to that scene, right?
I'd hope so. I love the show's periodic purges - it's like cleansing the palate. And this year, it seems that we can only expect Janos Slynt, Meryn Trant and possibly Kevan, Pycelle, Pod and Myrcella to make their exit. (I'm not counting Jon for obvious reasons.) All bit players at best. If the show throws in Barristan, Jorah, either or both Boltons, maybe Melisandre during Jon's resurrection, or maybe Loras, I'll be rather happy.

I'm rather looking forward to learning how far they will take Stannis' storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So since Varys is off sailing around now, does it seem possible/likely to anyone else that he'll be directly interacting the Griff/Young Griff now? If they're even bothering to keep them in. I'm assuming they're actually still important to the storyline, but I guess we'll find out (if not this season, then next).

Just makes sense to me that since Tyrion is leap-frogging that whole adventure, Varys is a pretty easy fix if they need to have Aegon show up. Also, what the gently caress else is he doing if not that?

• Locked thread