Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
Edit: Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Paracelsus posted:

What the game appears to be saying is that the owls are not what they seem.

Aw, man! I was gonna say that!

Now I have to work in a smiling bag somehow.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Why does everyone think the owls are bad? I don't get that at all. Owls usually are associated with wisdom.

The owls are hiding the answer to the greatest question of all... how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah...I never noticed the ghost comment about owls. So rubik and the ghost both say owls creep them out. I don't really get it, though. Other than that, the owls aren't shown in a bad light. In the starter town there are pictures of them on someones wall and we see them in a few other spots.

drat you! I thought you were going to do the skull puzzle!!

First time through the graveyard I hated that place. The constant thunder and lightning was really loving creepy and unsettling.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:aaa: I never noticed the ghosts! Now I'm wondering what else I might have missed.

e:
HE IS NOT GOING TO DO PUZZLES UNTIL NEW GAME PLUS. Please shut up about puzzles forever until then, tia.

biosterous fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 5, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Why are you commenting on spoilers outside of spoiler tags?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I SAW YOU.

I SAW YOU HIDING ABOVE THAT WARP GATE.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Why are you commenting on spoilers outside of spoiler tags?

2) DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING is in the loving first post.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I was not expecting a panicked rush through the graveyard, but it fits.
How many more videos ya think we have to go? I'm thinking it would probably 2-3 more for the last area, and one more to wrap this part up.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 5, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^way more spoilery than anything I posted.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

lets just hold off on worrying about puzzles, soon enough we will start tackling em anyways. considering he's at somewhere around 26 cubes or so and we are only missing one hub we should be getting out of the relaxing fluff and into the meat of the game soon enough.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 5, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Zoig posted:

I probably should have put those in spoiler tags in the first place.

No, you should have not said anything, because that's what I asked for. Either of you. And by "anything" I meant "anything". And one person talking about what is and isn't a puzzle or a spoiler isn't an invitation for you to respond with what you think is and isn't a spoiler.

If you're both having this much difficulty not saying anything, just don't look at the thread for maybe another week, and NG will be done by the time you come back.

Let's be clear: yes, if there was a room that looked like it had things to do in it and I didn't do anything in it, you can safely assume that it's a puzzle of some sort. Did I ask you to not say anything only if the puzzle wasn't obvious, or did I just ask you to not say anything anything if you know the solutions to puzzles? If not talking about puzzles means you can't think of anything to say in response to an update, then just don't post for that update.

Think of the endorphin rush that comes from solving a puzzle. Now imagine being robbed of that. Which feeling would you rather people get to experience?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Righto, I'll get rid of mine right away, hopefully not to many people saw it.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love how irritated some people are getting that frozentreasure is refusing to play the game their way. It's a great bonus on top of a fantastically crafted LP.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I find its a case of pretty much everything cool being locked behind a puzzle. I can't even describe the things I want to talk about in any way more specific then this, because it might give away a puzzle, and frankly I'm fine with that, as we all should be. Its mostly just a matter of impatience and anticipation of the cool parts, and I might be particularly antsy because the next area is probably one of my favorites.

Its kinda ironic how despite the relaxing nature of the videos we get all stressed in the thread.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 5, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zoig posted:

I find its a case of pretty much everything cool being locked behind a puzzle. I can't even describe the things I want to talk about in any way more specific then this, because it might give away a puzzle, and frankly I'm fine with that, as we all should be. Its mostly just a matter of impatience and anticipation of the cool parts, and I might be particularly antsy because the next area is probably one of my favorites.

Its kinda ironic how despite the relaxing nature of the videos we get all stressed in the thread.

Because you straight up will not shut up about poo poo that is explicitly going to be shown in the NG+ set of videos. Dropping all the stupid puzzle poo poo for the first run has actually made the game more interesting for me, as I burned out on it pretty quickly when I played (Steam records barely more than an hour, and I think some of that was with the game paused while I did something else).

I like Geop and all, but I miss the days when LP was ruled by Slowbeef and his Iron, Yet Caring Fist.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chuu posted:

I love how irritated some people are getting that frozentreasure is refusing to play the game their way. It's a great bonus on top of a fantastically crafted LP.

Indeed. As much as I love the chilled out game with a really chilled out host (And I usually cannot stand voice-commented LPs), the thread is just a lovely bonus on top. Although...

It would be good if we all just had some nice sweet earl gray tea and snuggled all together in blankets. And I do mean everyone. Yes, even you. And you. And you too. Everyone.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

RickVoid posted:

I like Geop and all, but I miss the days when LP was ruled by Slowbeef and his Iron, Yet Caring Fist.

Geop hasn't been doing anything in this thread because I haven't been asking him to, aside from the one post that didn't even have spoilers in it that I overreacted to early in the thread. Everything here has seemed so minor since then that I didn't want to be bugging him constantly about it.

Zoig posted:

You're the ones making the choice to get stressed, not me.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Because you straight up will not shut up about poo poo that is explicitly going to be shown in the NG+ set of videos. Dropping all the stupid puzzle poo poo for the first run has actually made the game more interesting for me, as I burned out on it pretty quickly when I played (Steam records barely more than an hour, and I think some of that was with the game paused while I did something else).

I'm saying that the approach is good, I never said it was not. I'm saying its difficult to avoid spoiling stuff.

Anyways I think I shall take frozens advice and just try staying out of the thread until we get to ng+, since people keep thinking I hate this approach when really I'm just trying to say that I anticipate the puzzles, especially since I didn't actually solve them all.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zoig posted:

I'm saying that the approach is good, I never said it was not. I'm saying its difficult to avoid spoiling stuff.

Anyways I think I shall take frozens advice and just try staying out of the thread until we get to ng+, since people keep thinking I hate this approach when really I'm just trying to say that I anticipate the puzzles, especially since I didn't actually solve them all.

Ah! *Claps shoulders* Then we have no quarrel friend! Come, enjoy this excellent tea with me.

bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

This is from that one time I learned not to disturb the dead.

This is from that one time I passed the event horizon. (I got better.)

This is from that one time I played leapfrog with an actual frog!

bobbertoriley fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 5, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The opening chord of the cemetery. Man, it's one of my favorite moments of the game. One of the best songs too. Not as good as two certain related ones, but really good.

e - Owl :3:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 6, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

bobbertoriley posted:

I love Gomez's face whenever he collects/completes a cube. He's just so happy! :yayclod:

Yes, let's share Gomez's photo album: "What I did on Summer vacation"

Yo, I like what you've done, but there's a glaring flaw in there. But don't worry, I fixed it for you.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
frozentreasure is streaming La Mulana Rouge Legacy La Mulana over here at http://www.hitbox.tv/frozentreasure

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 6, 2014

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Stream's over

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Just want to add that this is still probably my favorite LP on the subforum at the moment. Your zen play style is perfect for the game and your commentary is... chill.

I can't wait until Puzzle Mode. I've heard things get crazy, but I really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
La-Mulana took up basically my whole weekend. Anywho.

Part 11: Throne Into New Environments

I'm a bit worried my tone is a little more down than usual; I think the heat got to me while I was recording today.

Alrighty, guess that's the LP over; thanks for joining me, everyone.

Now then, another question for those of you who haven't played the game to ponder across now and the next few videos:

What do you think the backstory and narrative of Fez is?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I was playing and mostly enjoying Fez on my Vita last week, but the game kinda froze shortly after I solved an annoying puzzle, and my flailing at the pause menu in an attempt to fix it resulted in me starting my game anew (and overwriting my save!!) rather than quitting to the main menu. Thanks, game devs, you did a bang-up job with that. I'm enjoying this LP so far, though, and I do appreciate your keeping the exploration and puzzles separate. I tried solving everything as soon as I came across it, and the game felt a bit more schizophrenic to me because of that. I'm mostly interested in seeing what happens at the very very end of the game, because I'm not playing through it again unless I feel like getting all the trophies.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
The narrative seems to be a kind of creation/destruction cycle where each civilization got ambitious after getting 3-D, only to be destroyed by some mysterious Other and forced to start again. Gomez's community seems to be next on the chopping block and he may be the unwitting harbinger of doom himself.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Maybe it's an allagory.

If we try to reach into 4 spacial dimensions, will the same happen to us?

Only one way to find out! To the Tesseract, everybody! :downs:

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

What do you think the backstory and narrative of Fez is?

Well, that thing that was in the destroyed village looks suspiciously like a warp gate, and it's now full of black holes. The dot said that we made black holes when we rotated too much, but there weren't any that I remember in the rebuilt village. I'm guessing that what we're doing is a perversion of natural laws, introducing 3-d into a 2-d landscape, and what they do is fundamentally just seeing in 3-d the way that humans do. The warp gates are a similar perversion of natural laws, using whatever mojo the Fez also uses on a grander scale in order to teleport people. I stand by my belief that we're some sort of unwitting pawn, given power beyond our comprehension and understanding - though I don't think we're necessarily villains anymore. Whatever the Cube was, I don't think it was expecting spacetime to be as weak as it was - the blockhead villagers made it impossible for the Cube to fufill its agenda.

I also think that we weren't supposed to get the Fez. One of the villagers was, and for him it would have brought deeper understanding. The Cube spoke in a language that, if not exactly the ideogram cube thing we found in the forest, is supposed to be evocative of it. Either the Villagers are related to the Cube, or the Cube was expecting that to be common language. Either way, one of them with their obvious knowledge of space-time warps could have done whatever its agenda was much easier than we could.

Either way, the actual plot and narrative? It's exactly what it looks like. The Cube came down, had a plan for the bearer of the Fez, and everything went to poo poo. Now, rather than being able to do whatever it was, the first priority is putting the Cube back together. Once all of the cubes are assembled, we might find out more plot (Probably not, though, as it will still be incomprehensible to us) and will get to solve all those puzzles which no doubt have to do with the Cube's true purpose.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I just finished the second episode and I'm loving it. Don't change a thing.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I always felt that this was supposed to be the last area you find, as it tends to have much more of a impact if you have already seen the other village. I do love how calm it is up there though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zoig posted:

I always felt that this was supposed to be the last area you find, as it tends to have much more of a impact if you have already seen the other village. I do love how calm it is up there though.

I think I found this place second or third, because I just kept exploring and didn't bother collecting all that much, except for what was on the way.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think my hub-finding order was Ocean (well duh), Industrial Zone, Ruined City, Graveyard, Sewers. The Sewers being behind a locked door slowed up finding them the most.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
To make up for that longer wait through the weekend, and to get us ever closer to NG+, have the next video…mm…right now.

Part 12: Let Me Lens You A Hand

Paul.Power posted:

The Sewers being behind a locked door slowed up finding them the most.

More than that, if you observe where you get each key, where each door is and where locked doors are, it's set up in a really ingenious manner so that the player will most likely be out of keys when they make it to that specific door unless they did basically what I did in the videos.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I can't believe I played through NG and didn't notice the ruins having the same layout as the village until watching video 11. That certainly makes things more interesting!

bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yo, I like what you've done, but there's a glaring flaw in there. But don't worry, I fixed it for you.

:swoon: I was hoping someone was going to .gif that.

Me_Game
May 21, 2010

Alas, poor Johnny! I knew him, Mark, a fellow of infinite greetings, of most questionable fancy. He hath pet me on my head a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My dick rises at it.
Really loving this LP so far! I got the game well after its release and knew vaguely of some of the puzzle-y aspects (though not enough to give me solutions) but I'm definitely wishing I played the game more like you are. I never found the sewer or the industrial area and got stuck after the cemetery trying to bang my head against some puzzle stuff and ended up not going back. Since I was convinced the puzzles were the "real" game and the cubes were kind of just a means to that end I got side tracked. The problem was I could figure out one or two things but then was unsure what to do with that information and started going around in circles looking for something I was missing. And it was hard trying to look online for hints to things without having solutions outright spoiled, as I wanted to try to work stuff out myself.

Going through and just ignoring the puzzles and going for the cubes seems like a better way to see everything before coming back for a second run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I love the hell out of this game, and I love the way you're handling the LP. Watching it is making me want to replay a NG+ over winter break.

Can't wait for puzzle mode.

• Locked thread