Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
YOSPOS is basically AppleCare
better
no
apple is good because it doesnt do metro or whatever that poo poo ubuntu did
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
:bsdsnype: x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
someone pls recommend me a decent wireless router that's also not stupid expensive, pref something i can attach some external drives to for a lovely time machine compatible nas after maybe flashing it with some godawful linux based aftermarket firmware if the stock firmware doesn't work well

i'm thinking this ridiculous stealth jet looking motherfucker right here: http://www.amazon.ca/Nighthawk-Ac1900-Smart-Router-Gigabit/dp/B00F0DD0I6/

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nighthawk

I recommend an AirPort Extreme.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i am mad at apple today

in a way i already have a probably working airport extreme saddled to a broken drive so it won't work as an airport extreme until i use a heat gun to pry off the rubber base and then unscrew a bunch of poo poo to get the non-functional drive out (it just works)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also an airport extreme is too tall and won't fit in the media shelf i have designated for my wireless router lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ugh i lost that funny tall jpg i made of the new airport extreme that was like 80000 pixels tall fuuuuuuuuck

i think it's on my dead time capsule drive lol well played apple, well played

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh yeah I have a couple of flat extremes not those lol tall ones lol gay timb design

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cold on a Cob posted:

ugh i lost that funny tall jpg i made of the new airport extreme that was like 80000 pixels tall fuuuuuuuuck

i think it's on my dead time capsule drive lol well played apple, well played

I have it on the lovely MacBook

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I have it on the lovely MacBook

whoa post it pls it's like one of the only good things i ever contributed to this forum up until my eventual retirement from posting in the future

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would just get w/e the current Linksys router is

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cold on a Cob posted:

whoa post it pls it's like one of the only good things i ever contributed to this forum up until my eventual retirement from posting in the future

wife's won't relinquish it I'm so whipped

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the current linksys router offering with wireless ac is meh from what i'm reading and it's not much cheaper than the stealth jet one. it does look way less silly though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

wife's won't relinquish it I'm so whipped

tell her she'll get hers when your arm finally heals

report back if she breaks the other one lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

tell her she'll get hers when your arm finally heals

report back if she breaks the other one lol

if = when, lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i spent $42 on some linksys piece of poo poo on the internet because :siren: dd-wrt :siren: and then it was broken when it arrived and never worked right and then i went and got a mikrotik rb333 and an r52n card for 70 bucks total and it literally runs off of the hausbus batteries and has been rock solid i do NOT think about it for like four months now. 150 wireless connections, handles the comcast 50/20 or whatever it is perfectly fine, its just loving great

keep your nas separate ffs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i basically have this stereotype in my mind about nz women being burly as gently caress

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

i spent $42 on some linksys piece of poo poo on the internet because :siren: dd-wrt :siren: and then it was broken when it arrived and never worked right and then i went and got a mikrotik rb333 and an r52n card for 70 bucks total and it literally runs off of the hausbus batteries and has been rock solid i do NOT think about it for like four months now. 150 wireless connections, handles the comcast 50/20 or whatever it is perfectly fine, its just loving great

keep your nas separate ffs

i just want something to backup time machine to i don't need a full on nas here with 8 drives and dlna streaming and poo poo

this thing has to live on the media shelf under my tv because of ~reasons~ so i can't throw together some janky custom solution or my wife will beat me like a new zealand farmboy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

she's from further south than Echi my wife

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
tbh even the nas part doesn't matter that much we could just go back to using external drives, we already backup important poo poo to ~the cloud~ so,

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that stealth bomber router apparently has not-poo poo firmware out of box and should give me range into my backyard and i've got a $100 best buy gift card i found anyway so i'm going to buy that i guess

thanks thread for letting me post my question and then ignoring all of your responses :) (i.e. standard goon operating procedure)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're going to pay between 50 and 100 bucks for a nas that has the capabilities to share and store files on a network over the equivalent dumb USB external drive, so decide now if you want to spend. there is no market distinction between "just time machine backup on a network" and "dlna streaming bittorrent itunes blah blah".thats all OSS/cheap code. you still need a few hundred megahertz of cpu to handle the samba/AFP and network stack

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Cold on a Cob posted:

someone pls recommend me a decent wireless router that's also not stupid expensive, pref something i can attach some external drives to for a lovely time machine compatible nas after maybe flashing it with some godawful linux based aftermarket firmware if the stock firmware doesn't work well

i'm thinking this ridiculous stealth jet looking motherfucker right here: http://www.amazon.ca/Nighthawk-Ac1900-Smart-Router-Gigabit/dp/B00F0DD0I6/

just put this in the OP of both threads

Jonny 290 posted:

apple if you dont want to gently caress with it and have macs
ubnt if you dont want to gently caress with it and have mixed platform
mikrotik if you want to gently caress with it

Cold on a Cob posted:

i basically have this stereotype in my mind about nz women being burly as gently caress
the composition of women (and men) in NZ is pretty close to that of the US of A

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
what if i just want rly low ping, extreme speed, so it doesnt gently caress up my insane counter strike moves

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
uhm does ubiquiti even make consumer grade poo poo? i don't want to spend 300 bucks on an access point here with no ethernet ports

realpost: i'd buy an airport extreme b/c we're mostly a mac household but for real it's too drat tall

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

uhm does ubiquiti even make consumer grade poo poo? i don't want to spend 300 bucks on an access point here with no ethernet ports

realpost: i'd buy an airport extreme b/c we're mostly a mac household but for real it's too drat tall

what

the edgerouter lite does a million packets per second for $99
add a nanostation or two for 49 each
you now have a network that will work for a decade and you will never think about it

all in one boxes loving suck and are not good, they are either compromises on routing or radios

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
an edgerouter lite would cost min $120 in canada and a nanostation is another $100 plus i'd have to run a dedicated pc or buy an actual nas enclosure to get my lovely backup solution going. also i want four ethernet ports so edgerouter lite would be out regardless

eh maybe i'll just stick with the airport express and backup to usb drives, :effort:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh right. bizarro land.

oh well at least when the wifi gives you cancer you get free treatment

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

an edgerouter lite would cost min $120 in canada and a nanostation is another $100 plus i'd have to run a dedicated pc or buy an actual nas enclosure to get my lovely backup solution going. also i want four ethernet ports so edgerouter lite would be out regardless

eh maybe i'll just stick with the airport express and backup to usb drives, :effort:

use amazon glacial, and if you reeeeally must just get a $40 dlink or something that runs openwrt

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Jonny 290 posted:

what

the edgerouter lite does a million packets per second for $99
add a nanostation or two for 49 each
you now have a network that will work for a decade and you will never think about it

all in one boxes loving suck and are not good, they are either compromises on routing or radios

Nanostation s and picos are good confirm ed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i want to play with the dish ones just to set up big long PtP links

i have no practical reason for doing this at the moment

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Same other thsn getting wifi to an isolated hayshed. Very important to get wifi in hay sheds

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the chrome ua is rly crazy man

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.95 Safari/537.36

mozilla, webkit, khtml, chrome, and safari

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i want to play with the dish ones just to set up big long PtP links

i have no practical reason for doing this at the moment

we got a delivery of a bunch of ubiquiti security cameras and routers at work the other day :getin:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

the chrome ua is rly crazy man

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.95 Safari/537.36

mozilla, webkit, khtml, chrome, and safari

yay people sniffing ua

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Is there EVER a good use for a "Data Access Class" anymore? It reminds me of my naive first attempts at OOP, but compared to anything well architected it seems bad.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

i quit being lazy and fixed my time capsule

by fixed i mean pried it open and disconnected the hdd

i would have replaced the hdd entirely but i stripped a screw and can't take the base fully off lol

anyhow i got my not-poo poo wifi back so good enough is good enough

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hey what's the smallest and best adsl modem on the market I don't need wifi but I guess they all have them these days :rolleye:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

hey what's the smallest and best adsl modem on the market I don't need wifi but I guess they all have them these days :rolleye:

they're all p poo poo. just get the cheapest dlink or tplink, depending if u want an nsa backdoor or a chinese backdoor

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

motorola has always been good 2 me do they do dsl stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
zoneedit dot com, poo poo or not poo poo?

• Locked thread