Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Has anything happened yet with Brandon Graham's 8House shared universe thing yet? It was announced last year but I haven't heard anything more and mostly all I'm seeing on yahoo seems to be that announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Yes, it was on the list of announcements. Go here and scroll down or else ctrl+F 8house.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Heaven sounds fun, and have to love anything with front covers that are women in massive power armour.

Runlovekill reminded me of The End League, did that ever get an ending? All I remember was the not Batman wound up at an amusement park on some death trap.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Spawn was my favorite comic when I was twelve... twenty years ago :smith:

Image is one of the best publishers of solid new titles, Deadly Class, Low, Pretty Deadly, Southern Bastards, so many many awesome books. I still find it hard to believe that they started with so much 90's HARDCORE dreck, but they've come so far it's great.

Also the new Lemire/Snyder collab sounds promising, so there's that too.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

NotAnArtist posted:

Also the new Lemire/Snyder collab sounds promising, so there's that too.

Definitely going to wait for reviews on that one. Lemire saying that it would be nice to take a break from writing and just draw someone else's script makes me wary. I hope he co-writes with Snyder a bit to temper his Snyderness.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Hakkesshu posted:

I know that, that's not what I mean.

Yeah I agree, was thinking of doing one up a few weeks back but thought it be better to see how the Expo went. No doubt that Image will be getting most of my money this year.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

From a quick glance there are a lot of cool-looking Image books that never get discussed here aside from the big ones like Saga, etc.

I don't know that an Image thread would change that, but with the pace they're putting out new books these days I would definitely appreciate a thread that's a bit more structured than the general indie comics one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I gotten to Reads in the Cerebus series and I just can't muster any will to even begin to read it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'm going to go ahead and shamelessly self promote now, if that's cool with everyone. I don't think I can resist any longer.

The podcast I've gotten involved in has enough episodes out now that it feels like a thing that won't just shrivel up and blow away. We just posted our first annual best-of episode, which gives a pretty comprehensive idea of where our tastes are. I ended up spending most of the episode talking about Rat Queens and East of West.

http://www.thelastpanel.com/2015/01/10/last-panel-episode-7-best-2014/

If there's a particular podcast-listening app that you think we should be available on, feel free to mention it. We want to be as broadly available as possible.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Alhazred posted:

So I gotten to Reads in the Cerebus series and I just can't muster any will to even begin to read it.

Skip the prose, that's what I did, and it was a quick painless read.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

fatherboxx posted:

McFarlane is so loving dense. Liefeld has realized that his time has gone and he has been giving his characters to talented people for several years now; meanwhile that dunce is announcing Paul Jenkins as hot new author of Spawn.

McFarlane's old interview with The Comics Journal is an amazing insight into the mind of a man who has yet to discover the invention of the self-critical thought.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Alhazred posted:

If you think that's bad, wait until you get to the issues where Dave Sim has Cerebus explain his batshit exegesis of the Bible in excruciating detail. Better yet, get out now. You've already reached the point in the series where Sim publicly declared his belief that women are inferior beings incapable of rational thought.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The bizarrely hostile interview David Sim did with the AVClub is worth a read.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Wow, I never read Cerberus (outside of the Spawn crossover :iamafag: ) and had no idea Sims was such an rear end in a top hat

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

Wow, I never read Cerberus (outside of the Spawn crossover :iamafag: ) and had no idea Sims was such an rear end in a top hat

Most comic book creators are assholes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He's widely believed to be mentally ill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

He's widely believed to be mentally ill.

Pull the other one.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

McFarlane's old interview with The Comics Journal is an amazing insight into the mind of a man who has yet to discover the invention of the self-critical thought.

This is actually pretty smart:

I was not stupid enough to try and emulate John Romita because that’d be like me becoming a painter and trying to draw like Michelangelo or paint like Rockwell. I was not going to go down in history as a good-John-Romita imitator. I said, “Nope, Todd, if you’re going to keep your career going, you got to live and die on your own merits.”

Also, this interview amused me because I just saw the Image Revolution doc a couple weeks ago, so I was reading the whole thing with McFarlane's weird Canadian-stroke-patient speech pattern in my head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd forgive a lot of Todd's bullshit if he hadn't hosed everyone over on Image United.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Servoret posted:

This is actually pretty smart:

Yeah but:

quote:

GROTH: Did it ever occur to you that a lot of these artists might not know how to write?

MCFARLANE: [Long pause.] You know, uh, that really didn’t occur to me because that never occurred to me, you know what I’m saying?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Considering some early issues of Spawn were written by Morrison and Moore and Gaiman I would have thought that it had occurred to him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Madkal posted:

Considering some early issues of Spawn were written by Morrison and Moore and Gaiman I would have thought that it had occurred to him.

Those were just filler iisues to him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
You also have to remember that at that time Marvel and DC treated the artist as more important than the writer. They then left them and assumed that it would not matter what they wrote as the art would sell.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Regarding Dave Sim and his mental health, there is a pretty established correlation between genius and insanity.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chime_on posted:

Regarding Dave Sim and his mental health, there is a pretty established correlation between genius and insanity.

It's kinda hard to use the word genius when you're trying to read the latter half of the Cerebus series.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda hard to use the word genius when you're trying to read the latter half of the Cerebus series.

You judge an artist by his best works, not his worst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

It's the same work though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

prefect posted:

I don't agree with that at all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Those were just filler iisues to him.

That seems like a mischaracterization, given that he went on to reuse some major elements of those stories (Gaiman's, mainly, but Moore's story popped up again too). It was mainly a middle finger to those who said Spawn had lousy writing, so he would show them by getting some of the best writers in the industry! He'd show them all!

Also he would get trapped in a lawsuit that would last for years and years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Todd was told he in fact did not own Marvelman and as a bonus you don't own Angela or Cogliostro and a major part of your only viable creations origin.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought Todd get's most of his money from toy sales now. Though I doubt that is enough to keep his sports memorabilia habit in check now.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also he would get trapped in a lawsuit that would last for years and years.

Well he was just a boy in a garage printing 1000 000+ copies of Spawn

quote:

I don’t got no lawyers. I don’t got no PR people. I don’t got no licensing people. I ain’t got poo poo! I hate to say it but I just proved that half those jobs at Marvel and DC are worthless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I thought Todd get's most of his money from toy sales now. Though I doubt that is enough to keep his sports memorabilia habit in check now.

If memory serves he laid off half his staff and lost a bunch of licenses.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

I don't agree with that at all.

there's give on either sides but we can at least acknowledge that like, when people say "Francis Ford Coppola is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time," they're not talking about Jack.

edit: or, to use a more comix-appropriate example, when i say "Chris Claremont is a legend in the field" i'm not referring to X-Treme X-Men

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 12, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Exception to the rule: Ed Wood

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there's give on either sides but we can at least acknowledge that like, when people say "Francis Ford Coppola is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time," they're not talking about Jack.

edit: or, to use a more comix-appropriate example, when i say "Chris Claremont is a legend in the field" i'm not referring to X-Treme X-Men

Yeah but what about Roman Polanski :unsmigghh::hf::twisted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Chinatown is still a fantastic film.

Polanski's a creep, but he made a great movie.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

prefect posted:

It seems puzzling to me that you wouldn't judge them by their entire body of work. Cherry-picking just distorts things unnecessarily.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

what about him? i'm talking about artists' body of work, not what a lovely person they may or may not be.

although actually you can bring him into what i'm talking about too: when people say Roman Polanski's a great filmmaker they're generally not referring to Frantic or The Fearless Vampire Killers

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It seems puzzling to me that you wouldn't judge them by their entire body of work. Cherry-picking just distorts things unnecessarily.

context is everything. for example, what about artists who have a long period of great work and then get lovely? nobody who says the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands of all time is talking about anything they've done in the past 35 years. if you factor that stuff in, they go from being an all-time great band to being a just average band. if anything, i would say that is distorting things unnecessarily.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Non-troll question: What about The Simpsons? It's been bad for longer than it was good, so can we say it's a "good show".

Perhaps it's better not to try and reduce entire oeuvres into reductive bins like "good" and "bad".

Even Jeph Loeb has written some good stuff.

• Locked thread