Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah sounds like some people forgot the metroid influence.

I actually haven't run into many metroid moments, though the few iv'e had were mostly on the new build. I found a really cool toxic cave full of glowing green fungi and I immediately thought "Man, this is really cool, I need to come back when I have some way to protect against the poison".

I could've just sucked it all up with the matter manipulator but the cave looked really cool and I didn't wanna cheese it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anteaters with turtleshells that throw slime blocks. I need to figure out how to get the monster capture thing going in this new version so I can tame one.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwack posted:

Except that Metroid controls are good. Most of the problems present in combat could be solved by removing the slow backwards walk. I'm astounded that anyone played with that for any length of time and declared it a good feature.

I feel like going back saying "It's bad," "But I like it," "BUT IT'S SO BAD." isn't going to really solve anything. It just sounds like you're bad at the game, since many people were able to handle it using the tools given and pattern recognition.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah sounds like some people forgot the metroid influence.

It genuinely sucks that when you die you have to start the entire mission over again, though. I think they don't have the systems built into the game to allow for checkpoints, yet. The teleportation mechanics they're building are pretty in depth and should easily allow for things, say, teleporters strewn throughout the mission that you can activate and then teleport to, like checkpoints.

JerikTelorian posted:

I saw some of the "mini-dungeons" last night while mining. They're cool, but I wish they were better themed or had say, ores in them. Also, despite the variety they say is in the game, of the 5 I bumped into, two were apex stations with boxes, and three were arcade cabinet rooms.

Three secret apex twin-arcade cabinet modules underground just seems strange. The thing I'll say toward Terraria is the ramshackle mining huts actually looked like they sort of belonged down there. Powered arcade rooms with no entrances less so. This isn't really a "my immersion" thing but more practical: if these are supposed to make mining less boring, then make them filled with ores so I'm actually excited when I see the thing instead of passing over some decorative items I already have seen a bunch.

Apparently planets will tend to spawn mostly microdungeons of the same race type. Which is cool in concept - I like the idea of a planet having a theme, as if a certain race has colonized it, rather than every planet just having every race on it.

But I guess in practice it sounds like there still isn't enough variety for this. I guess there are a massive amount of microdungeons overall, but when you break it down to "only the apex dungeons, and only of X tier", now you have a relatively small amount to choose from.

It'd be cool if they spent a few more weeks just churning out hundreds of microdungeons at some point, since apparently they can crank them out at a really fast pace.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turtlicious posted:

I feel like going back saying "It's bad," "But I like it," "BUT IT'S SO BAD." isn't going to really solve anything. It just sounds like you're bad at the game, since many people were able to handle it using the tools given and pattern recognition.

"many people" being able to do it doesn't make the system good i don't know how you haven't realized this

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Turtlicious posted:

I was able to handle it, that doesn't make it not a terrible, clunky mess.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSpookyDanger posted:

"many people" being able to do it doesn't make the system good i don't know how you haven't realized this

Schwack posted:

I was able to handle it, that doesn't make it not a terrible, clunky mess.

Idk, people are finding it fun, which is subjective.

Have you considered getting gud?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ragequit posted:

I have never used mods before today, but can't seem to get the illuminated ores one working properly. I created a mods folder in the Starbound directory, added the tiles and IlluminatedOres.modinfo file to it, and started up the game. No ore glows. What else am I missing here?

Dont put the stuff directly into the mod folder. Leave all the files in the Illuminated Ores folder that you extract from the rar and put that into the mod folder.

so its mods/Illuminated Ores/IlluminatedOres.modinfo

and not mods/IlluminatedOres.modinfo

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Iv'e stopped trying. It's best just to reply about stuff actually involving the game and move on. The slow walk issue is actually relevant though.

I do not like the slow backwards walk either though. I like the game, but there are some dumb design decisions. The slow backwards walk does not work with the mouse aiming at all, meaning aiming in the wrong direction could cause you to suddenly be walking "backwards" and slow down, often causing whatever you're fighting to get some free hits in.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Even if the backwards-slowdown is a good thing for combat, that still doesn't excuse why that system should be active all the god drat time. I understand why it makes sense that I can't shoot while backpedaling at full speed (melee enemies wouldn't be able to catch up and it'd trivialize combat), but when I'm just walking around on the surface or in a cave or in my ship it's ridiculous that I have to move my mouse in the direction that I want to walk or else get a horrible penalty that serves no purpose.

They need some way to detect if you're "in combat" (a simple status effect that is applied when you attack) that activates the slow backpedaling, and otherwise you move at full speed in both directions.

And also there could be a key (hold shift or something) to walk slowly at any time, as well. Sometimes it's useful for careful maneuvering or building.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OrangeSoda posted:

Iv'e stopped trying. It's best just to reply about stuff actually involving the game and move on. The slow walk issue is actually relevant though.

I do not like the slow backwards walk either though. I like the game, but there are some dumb design decisions. The slow backwards walk does not work with the mouse aiming at all, meaning aiming in the wrong direction could cause you to suddenly be walking "backwards" and slow down, often causing whatever you're fighting to get some free hits in.

I'm fixing the backwards walk as we speak (I think!) It'll either be done in 5 minutes, or like a few hours. (Or impossible!)

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Turtlicious posted:

u got me.

OrangeSoda posted:

Like I said, most of my problems with the combat and movement come from the slow backwards walking. Stopping mid jump like you've hit an invisible wall all because of the direction you're aiming makes no sense whatsoever. In a game with a fixed forward/backward it's fine, it doesn't work in Starbound and shouldn't have made it this far.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 30, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Turtlicious posted:

I'm fixing the backwards walk as we speak (I think!) It'll either be done in 5 minutes, or like a few hours. (Or impossible!)

If you do this and we ever meet in person I will buy you a pint of beer. :toxx:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turtlicious posted:

have you considered postin gud?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

TheSpookyDanger posted:

have you considered postin gud?

Have you?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i sure havent

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

oh no you got me

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Your universe is always the same once it's generated, no matter what character you're playing. You run into the problem of emptying your starting world out yeah, but you also get the benefit of letting your high level characters drop off materials for your low levels to help yourself power through the starter quests and get them going. If you want to reset everything, delete your universe files in the giraffe_storage folder in your Starbound directory. This won't effect your characters or their ships, but it will completely regen everything else next time you play.

Yeah, while I tended to stick to mostly one character per wipe in earlier stable phases, I did keep that stuff in mind. Though I set up my little series of rectangles housing on a secondary world. While being able to set up a nice little let up shack for all future characters is nice, it also means it HAS to be on that world now, since any further characters still need to go through those initial hoops, find core fragments, etc.

But, so long as you get around to making sure to stock something with coal and other early stuff, it should work out just fine just making a starter shack and making your cool kids club on world of choice.

Speaking of early world materials grinds, oh no I can't shove wood into the furnace to make coal anymore :qq: That made my life so much goddamned better in old stable when they introduced that. But at least there is no more hunger bar.

Also, I tried using one of the big stasis pods afraid it would oneshot me. I got a speed buff for a little while instead whooo-oh wait it doesn't increase my walking backwards speed :geno:

Looks like I wasn't imagining it telling me to make a hoe to plant seeds. Did they make it so you can no longer craft a stone hoe and I just need to wait until I can scrounge up enough metal (probably steel) to make one out of metal on an Anvil these days? Planting wheat at spawn was OP I guess.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

We need to avoid this becoming a shitposting and argument dump like last thread. People are going to be looking here for info given how massive the new update is and confusing some of it is. Do you really want them to have to go to the starbound forums for info?

Do we really want ANYONE reading those forums?

V torches and gunpowder seem to be it so far.

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 30, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Section Z posted:

Speaking of early world materials grinds, oh no I can't shove wood into the furnace to make coal anymore :qq: That made my life so much goddamned better in old stable when they introduced that. But at least there is no more hunger bar.

Do you even need coal for anything other than gun powder now? The system I started in has gently caress tons of coal, is that just fluke? I thought maybe they made coal mode common for some reason now.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Eonwe posted:

i sure havent

Me either, good posts don't actually exist.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is this game good yet

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tenbux McGee posted:

Hope I'm not the only one getting his rear end stomped flat by the mining facility boss. Just hit death #10, and haven't managed to fire the mining laser a second time yet. I was really liking the mission until I got to the boss.
There is a possibility that I'm retarded, since I got stuck on the Gaping Dragon in Dark Souls for ~14 deaths.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I picked a thorn fruit and learned to craft a thorny needler which appears to be like the needler from halo.

Anyone else find some cool items that way?

I got a two handed cactus weapon that hurls cactus barbs when swung, and I think I got it from busting up a cactus on a desert world. All I know for sure is that I didn't have it when I landed and I cant remember opening any chests.

In response to both of these questions, make crafted tar balls! Desert planets have tar biomes which will let you craft a subweapon that is a projectile which slows enemies. This is extremely useful in the mining mission, you can slow the poo poo out of the enemies there and just slaughter them at your leisure. Probably doesn't work on the boss, but it helps you get there. If you're lucky, there's a legendary weapon you can find that throws those tarballs just by swinging it, too, that'll really give you an edge.

You can't underestimate the craftable Castlevania-type consumable throwing subweapons in this game, they're super good. Those Throwing Axes are loving hardcore. They only cost one iron bar, do a significant amount of damage, and you can spam the poo poo out of them. You have to find one to learn the crafting recipe, but they're common enough.

That'd actually be a cool multiplayer mechanic, sharing rare items with other players so that they can learn how to craft them. (I mean, it's in the game already, but more of it)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Awesome! posted:

is this game good yet

It's subjectively egregious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You all can complain all you want, but I'm going to build a super awesome base with skyrails and crazy poo poo, and no one can stop me :colbert:

And then when other stuff is updated to be better, I'll go questing or something.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Awesome! posted:

is this game good yet

starbound is...

good

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Awesome! posted:

is this game good yet

it is definitely a game

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I got a two handed cactus weapon that hurls cactus barbs when swung, and I think I got it from busting up a cactus on a desert world. All I know for sure is that I didn't have it when I landed and I cant remember opening any chests.

I once found a giant cactus-looking club on a desert planet that swings as slow as poo poo but does 400+ damage and shoots bees. It literally shoots out a swarm of bees when it's swung that fly upwards and explode.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Awesome! posted:

is this game good yet

all mining and crafting games are bad

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Awesome! posted:

is this game good yet

I wouldn't buy it, but if you own the game already it's worth playing the winter update even if there's some real lovely parts.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Do you even need coal for anything other than gun powder now? The system I started in has gently caress tons of coal, is that just fluke? I thought maybe they made coal mode common for some reason now.

I have an unhealthy obsession with being able to place torches as desired instead of worrying I'm going to use up all the coal within reasonable access. Aside from one block of 15 inside cobblestone (now gone with deleted charcter) the biggest amount of coal at a time I have seen so far has been... seven? Though I've scraped up enough 3-8 bits of Coal deep down inside coblestone (can't have anything at least 5 tiles of the surface, after all) to reach 80 or so after making a few campifires.

Basically, burning wood for coal was a nice convenience, especially since planting trees and torching them was a faster and bigger yields of gaining coal, than diamond drilling an orbit around an ENTIRE (small) planet's tar biome in old stable. Though from the sound of things, you don't need piles of coal to turn iron into steel, now you need to look for other nonrenewable resources instead.

TL:DR: While you don't need coal for as many things anymore (Can't fuel your ship with it, don't need it to make Steel, etc), that means there is even less of a reason for them to have taken away your ability to make coal on demand and instead have to go searching for it. Especially if they phase out coal in favor of fuel crystals at higher tiers still.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, it's one of those small things. But you aren't allowed to use a flashlight at the same time as the manipulator, and lantern on a stick soon gives way to "I need X backpack item to not die" if environmental hazzards work as I last read up on them.

Old stable eventually you unlock the portable printer, which could make "Cheap lights". But 50 pixels a pop (the value of a bar of gold, in the refinery) adds up when all you want to do is have some convenient lighting you can place around and just leave as you go exploring around and inside a world.

Without NEEDING coal for progression anymore, it will definitely go farther. But my luck has always been poo poo when it comes to relying upon the RNG to bless me with resources. I've basically become incredibly paranoid that all assurances of "Don't worry, you'll find plenty of it, I did!" will result in my usual "Okay I have literally 1,000 Iron but not even ten copper yet what the gently caress" luck :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 30, 2015

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Wow, this thread is full of nothing but shitposts and trolling.

:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Oh yeah I forgot about torches. It seems like it would be easy to change the recipe to just need wood, i'll look into that.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Coal isn't fuel at all anymore and neither is anything else, instead you go to moons (looks like every system generates at least one of these) with fuel deposits and suck it up into your MM. So just some casual mining gets me 100s of coal which is just used for torches and I think bombs, so I'm not really having trouble with my OCD torch placement.

Mining changes a bit once you get to Moderate and higher planets I am finding. Everything is way more plentiful and the terrain and cave gen gets more varied.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/faster-backstep.2488/

Faster Backstep

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession with being able to place torches as desired instead of worrying I'm going to use up all the coal within reasonable access. Aside from one block of 15 inside cobblestone (now gone with deleted charcter) the biggest amount of coal at a time I have seen so far has been... seven? Though I've scraped up enough 3-8 bits of Coal deep down inside coblestone (can't have anything at least 5 tiles of the surface, after all) to reach 80 or so after making a few campifires.

Basically, burning wood for coal was a nice convenience, especially since planting trees and torching them was a faster and bigger yields of gaining coal, than diamond drilling an orbit around an ENTIRE (small) planet's tar biome in old stable. Though from the sound of things, you don't need piles of coal to turn iron into steel, now you need to look for other nonrenewable resources instead.

TL:DR: While you don't need coal for as many things anymore (Can't fuel your ship with it, don't need it to make Steel, etc), that means there is even less of a reason for them to have taken away your ability to make coal on demand and instead have to go searching for it. Especially if they phase out coal in favor of fuel crystals at higher tiers still.

I've found coal to be extremely plentiful. It's now the only ore that spawns on the surface, for one, so if you go stripmining you'll end up with coal.

Woodburning was was more convenient but... it wasn't really more fun. It was just kinda tediously chopping down a hundred trees. Even as boring as the caves are, I'd still say skimming through some surface caves for coal, occasionally finding chests or vines or microdungeons, is more fun than grinding trees. But it was really fast so I can see why you'd want that option, I guess. It'd take literally 5 minutes or less to create a mod so I'm sure there'll be one if there isn't already.

In the mean time, coal blocks are mined very fast, especially with the upgraded matter manipulator. Whenever you walk by those 3+ bits of coal just grab them and you'll never be short on torches.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

You are a good person.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
I beat the mining facility boss by having cheat engine slow the game by 50%. Fixing any one of the following issues would make that boss not be infuriating:
The lasers hit for too much damage
The lasers are a little too fast
Falling from the top three platforms is fatal
Killing the spawning enemies at the bottom uses most/all of your energy (making you unable to dash or pulse jump to save yourself)
Stage 3 lasers are unavoidable unless you're at the bottom (hope you killed all the enemies!) or the top (hope the weird platforming controls don't screw up!)

That said, its not a bad game or anything. They just made one hell of an unforgiving tutorial boss.
edit: Wait, EVERY star I've looked at has one of those "incalculably ancient" gates. What the heck?

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 30, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Check out the system at X -229767419 Y 627491510 and the planet Beta X Her 538 V b. Should be part of a planet cluster on the right side and it's the smallest planet in that cluster. It generates with constant sharp hills and the cave systems are huge with shittons of ore, I just do all my mining there because it has everything in abundance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tenbux McGee posted:

I beat the mining facility boss by having cheat engine slow the game by 50%. Fixing any one of the following issues would make that boss not be infuriating:
The lasers hit for too much damage
The lasers are a little too fast
Falling from the top three platforms is fatal
Killing the spawning enemies at the bottom uses most/all of your energy (making you unable to dash or pulse jump to save yourself)
Stage 3 lasers are unavoidable unless you're at the bottom (hope you killed all the enemies!) or the top (hope the weird platforming controls don't screw up!)

That said, its not a bad game or anything. They just made one hell of an unforgiving tutorial boss.

Once I got the timing down for blocking the laser with the perfect shield block that fight got really easy. Though you could beat it without that since I have done it that way too.

For that fight you really want to bring a rocket or grenade launcher that can oneshot those enemies too.

• Locked thread