Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I bought ramen one time in college cause everyone says thats like one of the main things youre supposed to do in college.

It was loving poo poo i threw it away after a couple bites and walked to mcdonalds instead to get a big mac lol !!!

Edit: im talking about the cheap poo poo you find in groceries obviouslt not real ramen like this which is actually fuckin delicious -

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
the best part about him using larder is his confusion at people commenting on it, because he used the word wrong but thinks he used it right

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

thathonkey posted:

I bought ramen one time in college cause everyone says thats like one of the main things youre supposed to do in college.

It was loving poo poo i threw it away after a couple bites and walked to mcdonalds instead to get a big mac lol !!!

Edit: im talking about the cheap poo poo you find in groceries obviouslt not real ramen like this which is actually fuckin delicious -

i told this story before here but one time i went to a friends house to meet up with him and like 10 other people and one of the couples was this super weaboo pair who, i poo poo you not, talked to each other in broken, anime-learned japanese in real life

so before we leave to go out the guys like "hey i can make dinner if anyone didnt eat, let me know and ill get you ramen" and some people take him up on it and he brings out some bowls of ramen with an egg on top, vegetables and meat mixed in and serves it up and the weaboo couple girl goes "i thought you were making ramen whats all that stuff." he tells her its ramen noodles with whatever poo poo added on top and she goes "oh my god thats such a good idea" and we all just kind of stared at her dumbfounded for a while

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

the best part about him using larder is his confusion at people commenting on it, because he used the word wrong but thinks he used it right

Please use larder correctly in a complete sentence. Evidently I'm not nerdy enough to pass here. Use of I'm gay or cuck gains 30 points.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
OP grabbed his claymore as he walked in on his larder with another man, cucked again!

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

Please use larder correctly in a complete sentence. Evidently I'm not nerdy enough to pass here. Use of I'm gay or cuck gains 30 points.

if you are talking about modern households you shouldnt be able to use the word "larder" correctly because we dont use rooms to store dried/preserved food anymore because houses have shelves, pantries, cupboards, etc

to use the word correctly would be something like "It is retarded to use the word larder to refer to your pantry because your pantry is not a larder, you stupid gently caress."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

if you are talking about modern households you shouldnt be able to use the word "larder" correctly because we dont use rooms to store dried/preserved food anymore because houses have shelves, pantries, cupboards, etc

to use the word correctly would be something like "It is retarded to use the word larder to refer to your pantry because your pantry is not a larder, you stupid gently caress."

My family house still has a root cellar, it's basically the same thing.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pick posted:

sry about your old house

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Pick posted:

yeah i said modern house did you not read that part of my post?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Churn the heavy cream to make butter then use the butter and some more heavy cream to make a bechamel sauce. If you have nutmeg put some in. If you have cheese you can make a Mornay sauce. Essentially you melt cheese into the bechamel.

This post brought to you by Demonachizer.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
goddamn

this thread is amazing

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I have been in some fairly desperate financial times in years gone past because I was an absolute moron with my money, but I would have picked up change on the sidewalk until I could go buy some dirt cheap pasta sauce before I posted on the internet begging goons to tell me how to turn fourteen oils seventeen salts and so on into a palatable sauce.

OP when you sustain a wound your chirurgeon isn't able to fix and end up broke as all hell sitting at home unable to work remember these wise words, imparted to me be Yon Cruste Punke of the Barony of South Downs in the Kingdom of Meridies... Many a copper and silver piece can be found beneath the windows where merchants do business selling hot foodstuffs to the drivers of these horseless carriages.

(Basically if you're so goddamn poor you're begging Something Awful to turn your "larder" full of poo poo into sauce that actually works, you're better off scrounging for dimes beneath the McDonald's pay windows. HTH.)

Also, Jesus Christ, invest in a crock pot, throw literally anything into the crock pot, enjoy the magical tasty goodness. There. I saved you a bunch of money and some dignity.

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp

wyntyr posted:

There. I saved you a bunch of money
Possibly

wyntyr posted:

and some dignity.

Not possible

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

op is too busy gaining the skills to become a sauce boss to post.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I wish I had a larder but I'm not Mitt Romney.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anyone got any delicious recipes for sheet metal and leather? Asking for a friend.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

fyodor posted:

Anyone got any delicious recipes for sheet metal and leather? Asking for a friend.

Do you have access to sunlight?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh good 41 posts in the sauce thread

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015

Kasan posted:

Edit: Crisis has passed, pasta was made, and a new month looms. Stick around for the hobby shaming on page 2.

So it's the end of the month, and I have one of those households where the end of the month is usually the point where it's time to tighten up the belt a notch or two. This month has probably been the worst in recent memory (due largely in part to poor budgeting from my wife and I's hobbies) and the belt has already been cinched as tight as it will go. My pantry is pretty barren right now and I have pretty much nothing.

Cocaine?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nicomo posted:

Cocaine?

OP would be catching more respect if that were the case

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Nicomo posted:

Cocaine?

he and his wife would not be hugely fat larp nerds if they made a habit of spending their food money on cocaine

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009

Holy loving 5

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
if you can't even make a pasta sauce why the hell do you have a larder?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
A larder would actually be pretty sweet to have imo. I always feel like there's never quite enough cupboard space to store stuff that can keep a while outside the fridge, plus the kitchen often gets hot and humid from cooking. It'd be great to have a dry and cool room to store stuff like potatoes and onions.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

gender illusionist posted:

if you can't even make a pasta sauce why the hell do you have a larder?

if he was financially responsible he would probably be able to afford pasta sauce

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I wonder if GWS posters bookmark threads, in case the pasta sauce or chilibean thread falls off the first page and they can't find it.

Like, checking my control panel, yes holy poo poo 10 new posts in the barbecue thread today is going to be a good loving day.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Prawned posted:

I wonder if GWS posters bookmark threads, in case the pasta sauce or chilibean thread falls off the first page and they can't find it.

Like, checking my control panel, yes holy poo poo 10 new posts in the barbecue thread today is going to be a good loving day.

Yep, and that's why I still see updates to this thread.

Wait no it was conq linking it from the Boston thread, but still, same idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I do history stuff, worked at a museum, and we get SCA people sometimes. They like to go to museums and take photos of swords, and they are all completely loving insane. This dude's not the exception, he's the rule. If you would like any SCA stories please let me know.

They're much worse than larpers.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i would like the craziest SCA story that involves tits somehow, CITB

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fetus Tree posted:

nobody needs 5 types of salt imo

its true
- salt (kosher)
- salt (table)
- salt (seasoned)
- salt (garlic)
- salt (rock)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Business Gorillas posted:

its true
- salt (kosher)
- salt (table)
- salt (seasoned)
- salt (garlic)
- salt (rock)

if you have 5 types of salt and nothing to put it on, you dont need 5 types of salt

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Not specifically the SCA, since they're medieval, but once there was this dude who wanted stuff on the civil war, and he knew all about the "great southern generals" but just wanted some tips to improve his confederate uniform so it'd look more accurate. He was very upset because women were being allowed to reenact battles as well, and women weren't allowed in the great confederate army which is really what this stuff is all about, preserving heritage, and women shouldn't be allowed to do it because it's not right. He was worried that blacks would ask to be in the confederate side, too, and they'd have to let them because of liberals. I told him he probably didn't have anything to worry about.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
sixth salt

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

this is literally worse than my "super effort" icsa entries that were basically me loving around in the kitchen for 10 minutes then pretending I labored over scrambled eggs.

E: pink salt is also worse than that unless it's ground very fine.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Sit still outside with a spear until you see a rabbit. Throw spear at rabbit. This helps level up stealth, pole arm and survival.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There was a very large SCA woman who had bought an enormously expensive replica suit of armor, and thought it was sexist that she couldn't fit her girth or tits into it. I don't know what she wound up doing but she was very angry about this and I could tell since she was explaining it to me, the guy at the front desk who sells tickets to the city museum.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
lol at buying a suit of armor off the rack

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

corn in the bible posted:

There was a very large SCA woman who had bought an enormously expensive replica suit of armor, and thought it was sexist that she couldn't fit her girth or tits into it. I don't know what she wound up doing but she was very angry about this and I could tell since she was explaining it to me, the guy at the front desk who sells tickets to the city museum.

i wanna know in what world she thought she was gonna fit into that loving armor

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

But yeah, I take it back, SCA people are worse than straight up LARPers but the worst people in the world are confederate army dudes. I did once meet an African-American dude who collected CSA stuff and did the whole reenactment thing, and he said that he was just celebrating the heritage of his white great-grandfather who fought for the South, which was like some kind of weird satire and confuses me to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Germstore posted:

lol at buying a suit of armor off the rack

should've gone to the big and tall knight shop

• Locked thread