Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It does smack of the kind of ruse Kojima likes. The player can't know what the character he's playing remembers. So an inexperienced player assumes all the tapes and poo poo strewn about to fill in their knowledge as the player are just for that purpose alone. If the player is a veteran of the series, they're surprised when the character doesn't know something they think he should know, but they probably chalk it up to filling in players who know less about the series. The people the character talks to most often aren't surprised either, because they're in on the ruse, and if the player catches that they dismiss it as a minor continuity error. loving with the player like that is so very MGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

As much as I really dislike the thought of this ending, it still does make Big Boss become a demon.

By manipulating the medic to become Venom Snake, he's become no better than Hot Coldman or Zero or any of the bureaucrats in Washington. He's the ultimate hypocrite.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stare:

Well...that's something. So does Big Boss no longer look like the original Solid version of himself?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

As much as I really dislike the thought of this ending, it still does make Big Boss become a demon.

By manipulating the medic to become Venom Snake, he's become no better than Hot Coldman or Zero or any of the bureaucrats in Washington. He's the ultimate hypocrite.

Yeah, not to mention he left Zero in the first place because of the clones. But now he's basically doing the same thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah, not to mention he left Zero in the first place because of the clones. But now he's basically doing the same thing.

Reminds me of something he says in MGS 4.

"Under certain conditions someone can be made to play a specific role. Act like someone else. Cats do love to play as snakes."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do we still not know the reason for Quiet's clothes? The most believable theories I've seen are it's because of the parasites not liking sweat, despite this not making sense. Or because being set on fire by Ishmael traumatized her.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Reminds me of something he says in MGS 4.

"Under certain conditions someone can be made to play a specific role. Act like someone else. Cats do love to play as snakes."

:lol:

I was thinking about the exact same quote.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

I'm 100% convinced that Kojima has done this to sabotage Konami from carrying the series forward, that I'm not complaining about because after this the series is dead anyway.
Why gently caress over the fans though? Why create this peice of poo poo storyline? There was literally NO NEED to do this, he already had the lore established, he only had to create a game showing us the story he'd already laid out. He has blatantly deceived fans for the sole purpose of loving Konami over.
gently caress that man, I hope his wife took a poo poo in his birthday cake yesterday.

The guy is another Peter Molyneux, hypes things up so much, the whole world trembles when it all falls apart.

Some people in the Neogaf thread are very angry.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RatHat posted:

Lol, while I think these events are disappointing, I am not going to be mad about it. But I wonder what happened to the other Patriots? Do they just decide to keep going on despite not knowing/knowing about Zero?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

blackguy32 posted:

Lol, while I think these events are disappointing, I am not going to be mad about it. But I wonder what happened to the other Patriots? Do they just decide to keep going on despite not knowing/knowing about Zero?
What other Patriots?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CrashCat posted:

What other Patriots?

Para-Medic and Sigint.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

blackguy32 posted:

I mean, Paramedic and Sigint were already pretty hard into the mad science by then, I'm betting, so probably.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like the idea of the ending but a lot depends on execution, something very few of people have seen.

Laughing at people going full anger. "This is a betrayal!" or other nonsense though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RatHat posted:

Well I mean the story sounds pretty lovely on paper, but it's going to be really entertaining because Kojima so who cares.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wasn't MGS3's story really lovely on paper when it first got leaked until people actually played it?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea.
The spirit of the warrior will always be with you.

Unless I'm actually not and some other guy is there in my place rubbing you all over his face.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Turns out a story isn't very good when read as just bullet points. How shocking.

vvv Are you serious? MGS3's story is widely considered to be the best in the series.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 25, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Wasn't MGS3's story really lovely on paper when it first got leaked until people actually played it?

No, MGS3's story still is pretty lovely. But I mean, most people play Metal Gear for the gameplay, hopefully.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr E posted:

Well I mean the story sounds pretty lovely on paper, but it's going to be really entertaining because Kojima so who cares.
It gives me another way to think about all of the poo poo I'm going to see, so I like the twist a lot. It's kind of a cliche twist, sure, but that's never stopped him before. Seeing the little awkward spots that you would normally just ignore will mean a lot more to me armed with that spoiler, even if it turns out to be complete bullshit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if it's true there's probably going to be some fun hints scattered throughout. Kojima likes to telegraph stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

blackguy32 posted:

No, MGS3's story still is pretty lovely. But I mean, most people play Metal Gear for the gameplay, hopefully.
Ay yi yi. People aren't sitting there listening to hours of codec calls and watching hours of cutscenes because they only play for the gameplay. Would they be in the spoilers topic if they only care about the gameplay?

As for the MGS5 spoilers, this sounds awesome to me. I've only read about 25% of the black barred stuff, but the general idea of the twist to me is pretty interesting and cool.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I'm actually glad there's some kind of twist to the story, because if it was just a straightforward 'bad guy gets worse' then it just isn't quite a interesting. It'll also be interesting knowing about some of this stuff while playing because a lot of poo poo is going to have more context to it now. Also it's kind of nifty in how it plays into the whole symbolization aspect.

Also, from the leaked footage it looks like maybe part of Quiets thing is related to the hospital sequence, since you see her getting lit on fire and tossed out the window. It looks like she's pretty fully clothed at that point and doesn't have the batshit crazy powers you see later on.

E: tossed spoiler tags on the hospital intro stuff just in case people aren't cool seeing that part

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MGS 3's story is pretty lovely, but the emotional gutpunch it provides makes it seem amazing.

Also I just had a dumb thought about a certain non-canon Metal Gear game.

Could Snake's Revenge be VENOM Snake's revenge? With this revelation, they could easily turn a non-canon spinoff into an interquel between the first two Metal Gear games now.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think I've narrowed down my helicopter themes, I'm going with Ennio Morricone - The Ecstasy of Gold Diamonds.

E: poo poo, wrong thread.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheOrange posted:

I'm actually glad there's some kind of twist to the story, because if it was just a straightforward 'bad guy gets worse' then it just isn't quite a interesting. It'll also be interesting knowing about some of this stuff while playing because a lot of poo poo is going to have more context to it now. Also it's kind of nifty in how it plays into the whole symbolization aspect.
Also in another way, I'm happy to see this switcheroo happen in a Big Boss game. I see some fans these days who say they're only Big Boss fans, not even liking Solid Snake. Whichever version of Snake guy you're playing can be engaging, why not a new guy. Plus we like Raide.. Even in the context of fandom, it felt like Big Boss's hype or "legend" was getting a bit big (pun intended). I'll have to play it to further judge, but on paper it sounds like a cool new angle.

Plus by the end of PeaceWalker, we'd already had that epic speech where it felt like we had seen the transition to Big Boss take place. Plus we also kind of got that vibe at the end of MGS3.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus by the end of PeaceWalker, we'd already had that epic speech where it felt like we had seen the transition to Big Boss take place. Plus we also kind of got that vibe at the end of MGS3.

Yeah. As far as character progression goes, this game tells us pretty much nothing that we needed to know. While the story is... interesting, it's not going to be satisfying in that way no matter how they wrote it.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Nothing in those spoilers about why that shrapnel seems to be growing into a demon horn. More hallucinations, or maybe Venom Snake sees himself that way? Also we got two different Big Bosses for Metal Gear 1 and 2. Somehow that's the craziest part to me. I almost wish there were going to be remakes for those two games with all the new retconned lore in place.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The more I think about this twist, the more that Big Boss comes off as the biggest piece of poo poo in the series. He truly did become a demon but not in the way any of us expected. It also makes me view the MGS 4 ending in a new light, where instead of feeling happy that Solid and Big Boss reconciled at the end, now I just feel angry and bitter towards Big Boss.

Which I suppose, is the point of the game. Cycles of revenge and all that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

For what it's worth, the shrapnel-horn looks just like the spikes that shoot out of the ground when Metal Gear S smashes the ground with its whipsword.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So big boss goes legit and actually heads Foxhound and takes down his evil phantom, Miller is off with his family or w/e. Why does the real big boss go ape poo poo and steal all the nukes, steal all the dude who worked for his phantom and make Zanzibarland. Why does miller then be Solid's advisor to take him down.

It is cool that The Boss's ideals got passed to Gene, then Snake, then Venom, then Liquid, then Solidus and also Ocelot fakes that he's trying to do the same.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 25, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
MGS3s story is bad but entertaining. I mean, it all hinges on "no one could have known Volgin would have fired the nukes!" Really? No one considered that a crazy lightning man might fire a nuke if you give him one?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also does this mean Liquid's daddy issues are because Venom treated him like poo poo, or because he found out Venom wasn't even his real dad and his real dad couldn't be assed to even hang out with him? In six days we'll know!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

MGS3s story is bad but entertaining. I mean, it all hinges on "no one could have known Volgin would have fired the nukes!" Really? No one considered that a crazy lightning man might fire a nuke if you give him one?

I thought Hot Coldman was the one who sabotaged the operation somehow, making Volgin fire the nukes so Big Boss would be sent in to kill The Boss?

Yes, I'm aware that's a retcon but still.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought Hot Coldman was the one who sabotaged the operation somehow, making Volgin fire the nukes so Big Boss would be sent in to kill The Boss?

Yes, I'm aware that's a retcon but still.

Well who knows what's canon in POOPS. Either way it's dumb because Eva wouldn't have known about that. On the surface Volgin doing what he did is exactly what you would expect.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Well who knows what's canon in POOPS. Either way it's dumb because Eva wouldn't have known about that. On the surface Volgin doing what he did is exactly what you would expect.

Hot Coldman is from Peace Walker. That game is most definitely canon, not broad strokes canon like POOPS.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Hot Coldman is from Peace Walker. That game is most definitely canon, not broad strokes canon like POOPS.

I haven't played Portable Ops in a long time, but I remember something along those lines being a retcon from Portable Ops. I wasn't aware it was referenced again later.

Either way, still dumb.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I haven't played Portable Ops in a long time, but I remember something along those lines being a retcon from Portable Ops. I wasn't aware it was referenced again later.

Either way, still dumb.

Yeah, Poops puts forth the notion that Snake Eater was planned from the very beginning. Peace Walker confirms it.

Also the body double seems pretty much confirmed considering that crazy advertisement poo poo that Kojima was pushing with that doctor and transferring heads or some poo poo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Speedball posted:

For what it's worth, the shrapnel-horn looks just like the spikes that shoot out of the ground when Metal Gear S smashes the ground with its whipsword.

A horn looks like a spike? Wow how amazing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Either way, still dumb.

POOPS hinted that there was more about Operation Snake Eater than Big Boss knew about, but Peace Walker was the game that explicitly says Hot Coldman wanted The Boss dead and sabotaged the operation so Snake would have to kill her.

RatHat posted:

How exactly did he sabotage it? I don't remember that part about Peace Walker. Was it in a tape?

It's not really stated how he did it, just that he wanted The Boss dead and orchestrated Operation Snake Eater.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How exactly did he sabotage it? I don't remember that part about Peace Walker. Was it in a tape?

• Locked thread