Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Those people generally resort to murdering each other because there's an unpopular dictator hogging resources for the benefit of his closest ethnic / tribal group, hth

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the hypothetical benevolent dictator who ought to subjugate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

The Goatfather posted:

when the will of the people is to murder the other tribes in the tradition of their grandfathers, or round up all the albinos and murder them for magic reagents, or kidnap the other villages' kids and draft them into military service, an unpopular dictator can be a good thing

History abounds with great examples.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the hypothetical benevolent dictator who ought to subjugate them

You are talking about people who are killing each other for no apparent reason (something that totaly exists), and would be civilized by a ruthless dictator, though

The same breed of ruthless dictator who caused all the trouble to begin with.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Agag posted:

History abounds with great examples.

In a paternalistic country you need a stron leadership figure to divide the country even more than it already was, that's obvious!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

boom boom boom posted:

How come Rhodesia isn't as well known, in the US at least, as South Africa? Was it not as bad in Rhodesia?
pick your reason
- doesn't have the same name in the present day
- has fewer natural resources
- never formalized apartheid to the same extent
- never pursued nuclear weapons
- diplomatically recognized by no one, though some countries maintained Taiwan-style quasi-embassies. any recognition was guaranteed to piss off the UK just like recognition of Taiwan pisses off the PRC

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gazpacho posted:

pick your reason
- diplomatically recognized by no one, though some countries maintained Taiwan-style quasi-embassies. any recognition was guaranteed to piss off the UK just like recognition of Taiwan pisses off the PRC

- isn't in the Commonwealth
- is known mainly as a punchline to cheap jokes about Zimbabwe dollars
- has had a shorter period of independence, SA being a dominion rather than a colony since 1910.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

steinrokkan posted:

- is known mainly as a punchline to cheap jokes about Zimbabwe dollars
HOW CHEAP ARE THEY??

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh poo poo, Rhodesia is Zimbabwe? Lol.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

Is Rhodesia where General Butt Naked is from?

that's Liberia and he's a preacher now lol

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

boom boom boom posted:

Mugabe solved all the problems

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

gently caress Kagame

hey compared to all the other african dictators hes the closest to not being lovely i guess

Frostwerks posted:

do u got a link to the truckers thing it makes sense from an epidemiology standpoint but ive never heard it before

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/research-recommends-how-to-tackle-spread-of-hivaids-by-african-truckers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

www posted:

kenya believe it

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
zimbabwe is a dumb name, rhodesia sounds way better

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bro Dad posted:

hey compared to all the other african dictators hes the closest to not being lovely i guess

Rwanda would be much better off without him nowadays, he's destroyed dozens of NGOs aiming to deal with the genocide history, jailed many independent journalists etc. He's only been successful because he's been masterful in using Western guilt to secure investments and aid at discount rates. However, as time passes, this skill becomes less relevant, and nowadays his authoritarian attitude to history is becoming a source of ethnic tension rather than a healing power. Basically, his refusal to investigate the genocidal period objectively is leading to a growing conflict between the Hutu and Tutsi, combined with inequal redistribution of wealth.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

my favourite part of rhodesia is how the government refused to allow archaeologists any meaningful access to the historical sites there, including the bigass ancient fortress city from which zimbabwe takes its name, because the idea that the local savages had built anything of note before the white man came and fixed everything was really scary

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bro Dad posted:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/research-recommends-how-to-tackle-spread-of-hivaids-by-african-truckers

Idea to get baby boomers out of mid level jobs and blocking younger people froma dvancing for decades: Give them all AIDS, it seems to keep the African trucking industry competitive

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

Yes but with the caveat that it is a honeypot forum that will lead to a permaban of every unironic leftist on the forums.

thank god you'll be safe, you're obviously an unideological moderate, like me

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

look upon your works, ye whiteys, and despair

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
namibia gifted us the best youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gER7xe11nz8

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Kagame is a stone-cold killer who literally sends assassins abroad to kill his critics.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Namibia was literally a colony of South Africa from World War I to 1990 but even less people cared about it than Rhodesia

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

i think he has a theory other than the innate savagery of the black man and id like to hear it because i want to know what we can do to help

Oh! I want to try!

Africans historically aren't as good at war and domination as other people, so they never create the sort of empires and dynasties that allow a structure for advancement. Shaka Zulu did a fine job in his time, but he was so far behind Europe that he couldn't hold it down.

Civilization isn't made by subsistence farmers and happy people working together. It's also not made by kings and presidents for life who are happy to build palaces and live in them.
The sort of civilization we know is the direct result of the madness of prophets and emperors, monsters forcing the world into a new shape.

It's not the presence of savagery or greed, it's the limit which is the problem.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

seems like it was better as a colony

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Frog Act posted:

these shorts really match my FN FAL

looks like he was called into service in the middle of portraying robin hood in a pantomime

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Uncle Wemus posted:

seems like it was better as a colony
it went from being ruled by one iron-fisted clique to another, and thence to being a total fuckup when the UK tried to stop land redistribution

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Laughable Xhosa Girl - A Retrospective

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lmbo remember before we convinced ourselves that trying to civilise the world was wrong to excuse us from having to do anything difficult ever again? good job, civilisation

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyJFRTJgPbU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

Gazpacho posted:

pick your reason

-Has such an unambiguously depressing present day situation that it kinda makes everyone except for Ian Smith look bad. Mugabe has guaranteed that history is going to be a lot more sentimental towards white-minority rule than it should be.

my effigy burns fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread