Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The boss rush on Shovel Knight new game +. I once was down to Polar Knight as the final dude, and died to the insta kill spikes qq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Also my busted computer cant play LISA and I really want to play that game. Is it available anywhere but PC?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Unlocking all the racers in F-Zero GX without cheating or locating an AX arcade machine. Why the gently caress did they make the Story Mode so loving hard? :argh:

Other than that it's actually trying to finish the games I buy.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sometimes I look at the challenges screen on Super Smash Bros for Wii U, and I think, "I should complete all of these sometime." But that's about as close as I've gotten to actually doing it.

Dec 26, 2012

Unguided posted:

Working on Witcher 2 now. Trying to get a handle on actual combat as opposed to the point & click adventure that was game 1's combat.

neither game has actual combat, witcher 2 is just better at hiding it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

shop whenever you can.

Wrong. Learn how to steal from shopkeepers. Until it's second nature. To do so, run towards the shopkeeper, jump and hit the wall above him. As you descend, and huggibg the wall, release the analog stick/ key, and whip. You'll aggro him just in time for your jump to bop and stun him. His Shotgun should fall 3 tiles behind you. Quickly grab it and shoot him dead.
Make sure theres no items you pick up and hold, on that tile like teleporter, pickaxe, etc. Or you'll grab that instead. Just whip them a bit to move them. If there's a present ib that tile, move on to the next shop or restart.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Wrong. Learn how to steal from shopkeepers. Until it's second nature. To do so, run towards the shopkeeper, jump and hit the wall above him. As you descend, and huggibg the wall, release the analog stick/ key, and whip. You'll aggro him just in time for your jump to bop and stun him. His Shotgun should fall 3 tiles behind you. Quickly grab it and shoot him dead.
Make sure theres no items you pick up and hold, on that tile like teleporter, pickaxe, etc. Or you'll grab that instead. Just whip them a bit to move them. If there's a present ib that tile, move on to the next shop or restart.
Stealing from shops is fun and good, but if he's already having trouble beating the game I'm not going to recommend he add angry shopkeepers to the ends of levels.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Unlocking all the racers in F-Zero GX without cheating or locating an AX arcade machine. Why the gently caress did they make the Story Mode so loving hard? :argh:

Other than that it's actually trying to finish the games I buy.

This also. Beaten every cup on Master difficulty, beaten all but one Story chapter on Hard, got quite a few left on Very Hard. It doesn't help I'm much worse at the game than I used to be.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Play slower. Be more aggressive about throwing things ahead of you. Use bombs and ropes to avoid risky situations. You don't need money but you do need items, so shop whenever you can.

Where is it that you keep dying?
I can’t pinpoint any specific roadblocks to be honest, which is the really annoying part. I usually die in the mines or jungle, generally have a harder time with the mines actually. I buy everything I can – prioritizing bombs and mobility items – try to get the Kapala when possible, try to make it to the black market, always throw stuff ahead of me, carry a critter/pug as a shield. When I make it to the ice caves I’m usually fine, I find them really easy especially if I have a cape/compass. The temple is a crapshoot, I guess because I’m not as used to it. Those loving thwomp things always end up crushing me in tight places, Knuc-style. I’m probably just getting annoyed and need to take a few days’ break because when I envision my average run everything should go fine unless I run out of bombs or run into a particularly horrible setup of traps and enemies and spikes, which are just things that can’t be helped sometimes. Do you guys usually start from the beginning or take a shortcut? I’ve been starting from the mines every time and it’s starting to feel like a bit of a slog.

last night I was on a fantastic run, at the black market with a kapala, jetpack, shotgun etc, went to blast one last frog to get the last drop of blood needed for another heart, and a stray bullet hit a shopkeeper and they murdered me. lol

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can’t pinpoint any specific roadblocks to be honest, which is the really annoying part. I usually die in the mines or jungle, generally have a harder time with the mines actually. I buy everything I can – prioritizing bombs and mobility items – try to get the Kapala when possible, try to make it to the black market, always throw stuff ahead of me, carry a critter/pug as a shield. When I make it to the ice caves I’m usually fine, I find them really easy especially if I have a cape/compass. The temple is a crapshoot, I guess because I’m not as used to it. Those loving thwomp things always end up crushing me in tight places, Knuc-style. I’m probably just getting annoyed and need to take a few days’ break because when I envision my average run everything should go fine unless I run out of bombs or run into a particularly horrible setup of traps and enemies and spikes, which are just things that can’t be helped sometimes. Do you guys usually start from the beginning or take a shortcut? I’ve been starting from the mines every time and it’s starting to feel like a bit of a slog.

last night I was on a fantastic run, at the black market with a kapala, jetpack, shotgun etc, went to blast one last frog to get the last drop of blood needed for another heart, and a stray bullet hit a shopkeeper and they murdered me. lol
Bomb your way through the Temple. By the time you get there, you should have the resources to basically say "nope, not going to bother with that." Bombs and ropes can be used to get around a lot of tough situations. Don't try to hoard items: the final boss is a tough fight if you're short on bombs, but totally doable, and your goal should basically be to just get there as many times as you can.

Getting extra health from pugs is more valuable than using them as a shield, so try to keep them out of danger. The Jungle is tough because there's such a huge amount of stuff. Something useful: once the spikes on a tiki are fully extended, they're safe to touch, so you have a little more time to get over them than you might think.

Always start from the mines. You need the items.

Also the shotgun is powerful, but stray bullets and knockback will get you killed more often than you think.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

. Something useful: once the spikes on a tiki are fully extended, they're safe to touch, so you have a little more time to get over them than you might think.
holy poo poo what

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

holy poo poo what
It's not really clear, I had the same response. Also never do the vines-over-spikes thing, just bomb your way past it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got to level 14 with 12 health, 50 bombs and a jetpack, and it was a sacrificial pit and I thought I could bomb through the wall and get all those tempting boxes and got shot by an arrow trap and fell in lava. I am the Sierra Madre...... :negative:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I got to level 14 with 12 health, 50 bombs and a jetpack, and it was a sacrificial pit and I thought I could bomb through the wall and get all those tempting boxes and got shot by an arrow trap and fell in lava. I am the Sierra Madre...... :negative:

Getting there's not the hard part. It's letting go.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Begin again.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i wanna 1cc metal slug x. i can get through the first three levels without taking a hit, so i know it's a reasonable goal.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
honestly once you know how the traps function and you stop seeing new stuff, spelunky isnt that crazy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Stealing from shops is fun and good, but if he's already having trouble beating the game I'm not going to recommend he add angry shopkeepers to the ends of levels.

right after posting that i thought that it might be too much for a rookie but honestly, the sooner you learn how to deal with shopkeepers the better, besides all those free items really open up possibilities

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

right after posting that i thought that it might be too much for a rookie but honestly, the sooner you learn how to deal with shopkeepers the better, besides all those free items really open up possibilities
Fair. Shopkeepers also get less dangerous post-caves.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

01011001 posted:

neither game has actual combat, witcher 2 is just better at hiding it

witcher 2 boss fights were rear end, but what do you mean about the combat?

Dec 26, 2012

it's braindead as hell for the most part, it just has more moving parts

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 2 enemy encounters and stuff were clearly built with some really arcadey arkham/kingdom hearts melee system in mind but instead you control like poo poo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

witcher 2 enemy encounters and stuff were clearly built with some really arcadey arkham/kingdom hearts melee system in mind but instead you control like poo poo

Saints Row 4 had great combat. Witcher 2 did not.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I did it. I beat the Nuclear Throne.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I beat my six year old tgm2 record today. Just need 27 more seconds off for the M

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I did it. I beat the Nuclear Throne.

*patting pants and jacket pockets* Huh, I know I had a cookie somewhere...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal posted:

I ated it :kiddo:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Saints Row 4 had great combat. Witcher 2 did not.

:yeah:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I never beat Sunshine as a child, but I beat it a few years ago 100% and Ive never felt more accomplished in my gaming career... well maybe that time I beat Dark Souls

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

One hundo percent map completion for Euro Trucker 2, with both the expansions.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
I've started Chrono Cross like three times and never made it past disc 1, always kind of stuck in my craw...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Like many I never beat Morrowind. I talked to Vivec and got assigned to go on some commando assassin mission into the ghostlands and just stopped playing because it didn't interest me. That was like 80 hours into my last character, I spent a few hundred hours on previous characters without even starting the main quest.

I've never done the "second quest" in either Galaxy game. In the first one you replay the whole thing as Luigi to unlock the final challenge. I'm not sure what it is in Galaxy 2 since iirc you have Luigi the whole game anyway.

I've never gotten all the Kremcoins and DK coins in DKC2. I don't even know if I've beaten K Rool in the secret world.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I couldn't beat the final level in Galaxy 2 or 3D World

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Like many I never beat Morrowind. I talked to Vivec and got assigned to go on some commando assassin mission into the ghostlands and just stopped playing because it didn't interest me. That was like 80 hours into my last character, I spent a few hundred hours on previous characters without even starting the main quest.

I've never done the "second quest" in either Galaxy game. In the first one you replay the whole thing as Luigi to unlock the final challenge. I'm not sure what it is in Galaxy 2 since iirc you have Luigi the whole game anyway.

I've never gotten all the Kremcoins and DK coins in DKC2. I don't even know if I've beaten K Rool in the secret world.

in galaxy 2 they sprinkle green stars in inconvienient or hidden places throughout the map. It's probably worth it in G2 compared to G1 since grandmaster galaxy is cool and some of the new stars are actually interesting to get.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

I couldn't beat the final level in Galaxy 2 or 3D World

i beat the one in 3d world but i still cant beat grandmaster galaxy. i come back to it every so often, and i can never complete it. i have everything up to the last section with the boomerang bros on lock but it just all falls apart there

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

sharrrk posted:

i beat the one in 3d world but i still cant beat grandmaster galaxy. i come back to it every so often, and i can never complete it. i have everything up to the last section with the boomerang bros on lock but it just all falls apart there

I beat that level one time but I did not remember to grab the green star and I was unwilling to play the level again to unlock the true final level that's just grandmaster again but on one life and no checkpoints.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My girlfriend says I'm not allowed to play Spelunky this weekend because apparently I keep singing songs about it and cackling manically. One of them is "they're creepy and spelunky" to the addams family tune

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Apparently? Do you not know whether or not your singing some epicly random poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
how do you sing "theyre creepy and spelunky" and NOT make it to the pinky and the brain theme song, op?

fail!

• Locked thread