Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Higaara

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

what is that?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Cinematic from Homeworld, the only RTS worth playing.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
it's toejam and earl for me OP, I remember even being mad, at the age of 11, that they "sold out" and made a platformer as their second game

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

program666 posted:

it's toejam and earl for me OP, I remember even being mad, at the age of 11, that they "sold out" and made a platformer as their second game

two was actually good in its own right and tj + e deserved to explore as many funky mediums as possible

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crimson Harvest posted:

I wouldn't say its the only one, but it's certainly the best. Shame about the sequel

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

I wouldn't say its the only one, but it's certainly the best. Shame about the sequel

Cataclysm was ok.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Crimson Harvest posted:

Isn't that the Salvage Corvette simulator?

Those ships ruined the combat aspect of the game, in my opinion.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 2, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Soul Reaver posted:

Doing that poo poo made it harder in a lot of missions. Grab what you can, who cares about suboptimal efficiency.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soul Reaver posted:

You know you can just opt not to use them. Consider them like the dark souls "negate death rings", optional easymode

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Friendly Tumour posted:

You know you can just opt not to use them. Consider them like the dark souls "negate death rings", optional easymode

Yeah, but I still think it's bad game design to include units that capture enemies in this way, particularly in a game like Homeworld which is about efficient use of resources/fleet preservation.

Salvage Corvettes are fiddly (ie, not fun), but incredibly effective - they weaken the enemy and strengthen you. Plus they discourage you from doing something fun: blowing up big enemy ships. Instead, every blown up ship is followed with the remorseful thought: "drat, I could have captured that one". It ends up being a game about how well you can capture ships/protect and mircomanage your Salvage Corvettes. And it makes your fleet consist heavily of enemy ships, which ruins the nice aesthetic of having two very differently-designed forces facing off against each other.

You could just not use it, but unfortunately for me the temptation is far too great. Smarter would have been not to include it in the first place.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 3, 2015

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Soul Reaver posted:

Yeah, but I still think it's bad game design to include units that capture enemies in this way, particularly in a game like Homeworld which is about efficient use of resources/fleet preservation.

Salvage Corvettes are fiddly (ie, not fun), but incredibly effective - they weaken the enemy and strengthen you. Plus they discourage you from doing something fun: blowing up big enemy ships. Instead, every blown up ship is followed with the remorseful though "drat, I could have captured that one". It ends up being a game about how well you can capture ships/protect and mircomanage your Salvage Corvettes. And it makes your fleet consist heavily of enemy ships, which ruins the nice aesthetic of having two very differently-designed forces facing off against each other.

You could just not use it, but unfortunately for me the temptation is far too great. Smarter would have been not to include it in the first place.

i disagree

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Sonic 1-3, sonic ans k uckles, somic spinball, sonic cd, sonic saturn raving game, robotnik puyo game, sonoc advemture, sonic advemturw 2, sonic where he woos a dead girl, sonic 2006, somic werewolf game, the sonic and king arthur game this is real game check the wiki, shadow the hedhehog, sonoc colors, sonic where the arms are wro g color, son ic vioware rpg, for me, op

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

Sonic 1-3, sonic ans k uckles, somic spinball, sonic cd, sonic saturn raving game, robotnik puyo game, sonoc advemture, sonic advemturw 2, sonic where he woos a dead girl, sonic 2006, somic werewolf game, the sonic and king arthur game this is real game check the wiki, shadow the hedhehog, sonoc colors, sonic where the arms are wro g color, son ic vioware rpg, for me, op

Sorry about your gamer aids

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soul Reaver posted:

Salvage Corvettes are fiddly (ie, not fun), but incredibly effective - they weaken the enemy and strengthen you. Plus they discourage you from doing something fun: blowing up big enemy ships. Instead, every blown up ship is followed with the remorseful thought: "drat, I could have captured that one". It ends up being a game about how well you can capture ships/protect and mircomanage your Salvage Corvettes. And it makes your fleet consist heavily of enemy ships, which ruins the nice aesthetic of having two very differently-designed forces facing off against each other.

It's not a bad feature because you have sperg disease and can't control yourself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shadow the Hedgehog, the sonic game where you get a loving GUN and shoot the president, lol.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Salvage corvettes were expensive and difficult to protect and turning your enemies own weapons against them is loving sick

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I tried using one on the OPs posting so I could use it to crush his own AIDS riddled sperg brain but the game kept saying "nothing to salvage"

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Benny D posted:

I tried using one on the OPs posting so I could use it to crush his own AIDS riddled sperg brain but the game kept saying "nothing to salvage"

Hell yeah!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Finally, someone around here with the guts to stand up to Retarded_Clown_

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog, the sonic game where you get a loving GUN and shoot the president, lol.

Shadow diesnt give a gently caress nikka

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

He cares about Maria.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Larry Parrish posted:

It's not a bad feature because you have sperg disease and can't control yourself

I suppose if the Shotgun in Doom did twice the damage it does and increased your max health by 2% every time you killed something with it (but they made it less fun to use - maybe made it sound like a silenced pistol or something), you'd stop using it?

I found using Salvage Corvettes easier than destroying enemy ships since they disabled it as soon as enough of them attached to the craft, and once they recovered a ship you could re-use them. I had a giant fleet of salvage corvettes that would sweep in and steal whole enemy fleets (while a small team of fighters/other ships kept the enemy distracted). It netted great rewards, to the extent where it made the endgame a cakewalk... and it made the whole game a lot less fun as a result.

It might not be the case in multiplayer, but in single player it felt like really bad balancing.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 3, 2015

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Soul Reaver posted:

I suppose if the Shotgun in Doom did twice the damage it does and increased your max health by 2% every time you killed something with it (but they made it less fun to use - maybe made it sound like a silenced pistol or something), you'd stop using it?

I found using Salvage Corvettes easier than destroying enemy ships since they disabled it as soon as enough of them attached to the craft, and once they recovered a ship you could re-use them. I had a giant fleet of salvage corvettes that would sweep in and steal whole enemy fleets (while a small team of fighters/other ships kept the enemy distracted). It netted great rewards, to the extent where it made the endgame a cakewalk... and it made the whole game a lot less fun as a result.

It might not be the case in multiplayer, but in single player it felt like really bad balancing.

i disagree

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

He cares about Maria.

This. He also cares for his friend E-123 Omega.

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 4, 2015

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

same

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Benny D posted:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Goty was xcom and then terror from the deep. Also I'm a masochist

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Sgt. Anime Pederast

Lol.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast

He's had the name for about 9 years now so you gotta give him props...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

He was one of the original "ironic" pedofiles...mad recognition, bruv. Shine on.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sgt. Anime Pederast

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Wormskull posted:

He's had the name for about 9 years now so you gotta give him props...

Actually fragmaster changed it to that about three years ago and I am not ashamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Actually fragmaster changed it to that about three years ago and I am not ashamed
You should be.

• Locked thread