Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I know this is going to kill any cred I might have had left after the monopoly post, but I got that exploding kittens game for christmas and it's not bad. The mechanics are really simple but there's a lot of strategy and a metagaming aspect to it.

It's a crying shame that it was designed to appeal exclusively to the cards against humanity crowd because there's actually a good game under all that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

that game is called Falling by James Earnest

there isn't a game underneath exploding kittens, it's literally something they came up in 5 minutes and they acknowledged it as much

wine in front of me interactions don't make a game deep

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

but seriously just loving try Falling and then go back and see exploding kittens stacks up in comparison

Falling has a gently caress ton of strategy, loads of meaningful decisions and the best thing of all, it's in real time so it's like exploding kittens but amped up to 11

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
for christmas i bought myself some x wing miniatures, spyfall, coup, and tragedy looper with the expansion

what a great holiday season

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay fine I just ordered a copy of falling. You better be right about this

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

the only issue with falling is that it is more gamey and if you include everything at the start it is very front-loaded

so if you are teaching it, do this:
-play with riders only for the first games
-add actions only when people are familiar with riders
-add permanent riders after people are ready

should simplify things, also a single game takes like 30 seconds depending on how fast you play

just don't play it with people that don't listen past two rules

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomFerret posted:

I know this is going to kill any cred I might have had left after the monopoly post, but I got that exploding kittens game for christmas and it's not bad. The mechanics are really simple but there's a lot of strategy and a metagaming aspect to it.

It's a crying shame that it was designed to appeal exclusively to the cards against humanity crowd because there's actually a good game under all that garbage.

what the gently caress? it's war. what little strategy there is to it is killed by the loving memes. gently caress you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

no you see the strategy is if you place the explodey card as the next one, but maybe you knew I knew you would put it there, so you place it in the one after that one, but you knew that I knew that you would do that, so you place it in the next card instead, but you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew I would do that...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

no you see the strategy is if you place the explodey card as the next one, but maybe you knew I knew you would put it there, so you place it in the one after that one, but you knew that I knew that you would do that, so you place it in the next card instead, but you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew I would do that...

so its war + rock/paper/scissors?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The art is extremely bad and it already dragged the game down into a pit it can't ever escape from, there's no reason to start making poo poo up about the gameplay. Simple games can be fun, sorry it doesn't have a 60 page manual translated from german.

e: on that note, does anybody want a lightly used copy of Edison and Co?

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 31, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

i just got Bloodrage in the mail to complete my xmas board game set and holy moly these are some nice fuckin minis

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

The art is extremely bad and it already dragged the game down into a pit it can't ever escape from, there's no reason to start making poo poo up about the gameplay. Simple games can be fun, sorry it doesn't have a 60 page manual translated from german.

Yes, simple games can be fun, like Coup, Skull, etc. Simple does not begin to describe Exploding Kittens, there's hardly a game there.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I like spot-it and skull

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomFerret posted:

i'd recommend you try playing your second board game ever, and then rethink your opinions.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I love playing simple poo poo, as long as it is good

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Simple poo poo is good. Exploding kittens is simple AND poo poo. Important difference.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
simple games that are good:
resistance, dixit, pictomania, skull, coup, click clack lumberjack, sushi dice, ugg-tect, say anything, codenames

please try those games.

exploding kittens is pointless, not simple. players have very little control over what happens, elimination is handled horribly, and the only strategy to the game is literally just the two choices the game gives you (do i pass my turn instead of playing? do i bury this card or topdeck it?). if you want a game that does all of this better, play skull. play the gently caress out of skull. you have control at every point, players are only eliminated as a result of taking insane risks and being in the spotlight for a long time, and the bluffing elements go a couple layers deep especially once you have a reduced hand size.

poo poo, you can proxy skull if you want with a deck of cards or some coasters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hanabi is a good simple game, but i only say that because its like $15 and youll definitely get $15 worth of games out of it before The Big Issue creeps in. its like a legacy game, but you have to infer that you're supposed to rip up the components after a few games rather than having it tell you to.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Some people actually like virtually non-interactive games though, or a game that pretty much plays itself might just be the only thing at their group's level.
I find it boring, but I understand the place of Candyland/Talisman.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Coolness Averted posted:

Some people actually like virtually non-interactive games though, or a game that pretty much plays itself might just be the only thing at their group's level.
I find it boring, but I understand the place of Candyland/Talisman.

yeah, and some people like donald trump

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Countblanc posted:

hanabi is a good simple game, but i only say that because its like $15 and youll definitely get $15 worth of games out of it before The Big Issue creeps in. its like a legacy game, but you have to infer that you're supposed to rip up the components after a few games rather than having it tell you to.

The big issue with Hanabi is you and lol if you paid $15 for it

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

RandomFerret posted:

I don't know what side you're on... Are you a fan of exploding poo poo or not?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

my 2 year old nephew wanted to play 'chess' with me but he was just pushing pieces randomly and didn't know any of the rules at all, what a loving scrub

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

yeah, and some people like donald trump

this. we're all adults here, we don't have to pretend that every opinion has merit just because there exists people who hold it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Look, what you do when you have some friends over, is take out Empire of the Sun, give them the rules, and pick the one who understands them to cull out the weakness from your friends.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

the most dangerous game

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Scyther posted:

this. we're all adults here, we don't have to pretend that every opinion has merit just because there exists people who hold it

yes saying anyone who disagrees with you is bad and dumb, the adult thing to do

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nobody said anyone is bad or dumb, but they certainly implied that only casual normie scum would find any merit in Exploding Kittens.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

so i'm liking eminent domain so far but when doing produce/trade engines im never really sure when to make the switch over, i keep having the piles empty just as ive gotten like four planets and the tech cards i need, should i be pulling the trigger earlier, setting up less, or playing the piles smarter?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You know, I'm not even sure, I feel like it's so dependent on context. Plus the vast majority of my experiences is with Escalation. Don't really have a good answer, I just mostly play by my gut and trying to get a pace of the game based on what others are doing and what I'm seeing in terms of planets.

One of the really cool things about Escalation is that it forces you out of your comfort zone sometimes by giving you a tech you would not normally pick.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We won our first game of pandemic legacy some people didn't quite get that the game changes and you have to destroy stuff or whatever and their reactions were p funny

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

StashAugustine posted:

so i'm liking eminent domain so far but when doing produce/trade engines im never really sure when to make the switch over, i keep having the piles empty just as ive gotten like four planets and the tech cards i need, should i be pulling the trigger earlier, setting up less, or playing the piles smarter?

i honestly gun for it as fast as i get the techs. survey advanced, conquer/colonize dependent on board state, research specialization, start producing and trading silicon as fast as possible while using extra actions to research all the other poo poo out of my deck. that's the platonic ideal. sometimes you need peace treaties or sometimes your surveys don't go so well and you need diverse markets instead or sometimes you get cocky and start stacking double times. but really, your biggest ally with a P+T deck is running out the black chips as soon as possible

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i apparently got a shitload of rules wrong with mad king ludwig. gently caress!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the galaxy trucker class iiic is absolutely insane.

the torus one.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm the copy of pokemon sorry

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

lol which one? (there's 3)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm the other ones

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
i played a truncated game (2 rounds) of wh: diskwars over the weekend. cool as hell game, but I probably won't be able to play it enough to get good at it. also it's kind of hilarious when you get a huge pileup on a single spot and tokens keep sliding off the hill of disks.

• Locked thread