Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Basebf555 posted:

Yea he's close enough to the date of the assassination now that he has to reset at least once just because we have 5 episodes left. I wonder if maybe he saves Kennedy, but that somehow makes the future even shittier, or if he stops Oswald but Time says gently caress you and Kennedy gets killed some other way a week later.

Like Supernatural's classic Mystery Spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iancUEwE1mA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You guys think 5 episodes is too much for investigating and stopping a CIA/KGB/whateverthefuck secret operation while still managing to develop a relationship with librarian?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If anything I think this series is too short. 3 episodes to get to 1962 is way definitely way too short and 5 episodes for way less time just sounds long in comparison even though we don't know what all they decided to include. I feel like Jake spent a lot more time exploring the implications of his actions in the past. Whereas here they just blaze right on up to 1962. I suppose maybe they tried to adapt the book beat for beat and found it boring, but I think all the stuff at the beginning gave a lot more weight to his struggles at the end.

Is there some industry reason why they would want such a short series other than paying for it? I mean does this episode count get them into a different category for award nominations? Or does such a short order reduce contractual or union obligations?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Frosted Flake posted:

The past pushing back is done really well too.
I was thinking just the opposite. How come nothing happened when he told the kid about the assassination and time travel and everything? Isn't that going to have major effects? What determines when something is important enough to cause consequences? It seems totally arbitrary.

ExtraNoise posted:

I honestly can't tell if you guys didn't notice the signs in the hallway going from 1960 to 1961 to 1962 (and then referencing several other instances of it being 1962 now)
Didn't see them at all. :shrug:

The whole timing thing was very confusing to me. I got that at some point it was 1962, but I didn't realise when the time jump happened. I sort of had the impression that he got the teaching job in 1962, but that actually happened earlier? What year was that? When did he kill Josh Duhamel?

ExtraNoise posted:

Then you also probably didn't notice that Sadie was the girl in the front seat of the pink convertible that made eye-contact with Jake when he first arrived in Maine in 1960.
Nope.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tiggum posted:

The whole timing thing was very confusing to me. I got that at some point it was 1962, but I didn't realise when the time jump happened. I sort of had the impression that he got the teaching job in 1962, but that actually happened earlier? What year was that? When did he kill Josh Duhamel?

Nope.

He killed Duhamel and got the job in 1960. In the hallway scene, the signs went from 1960 to 1962.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 2, 2016

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Read somewhere on reddit that the screenwriter stated that there wouldn't be any resets, and once he's there he's there. Don't have any relevant article for the quote, but if that's true it kinda takes some good aspects of the story away. I really feel like some of the changes they're making are just for the hell of it, not actually for the benefit of translating book to screen. I shouldn't be surprised though, I can't remember the last time I wasn't disappointed with any book adaptation. I'm sure the Dark Tower will be a hot mess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nosleep posted:

Read somewhere on reddit that the screenwriter stated that there wouldn't be any resets, and once he's there he's there. Don't have any relevant article for the quote, but if that's true it kinda takes some good aspects of the story away. I really feel like some of the changes they're making are just for the hell of it, not actually for the benefit of translating book to screen. I shouldn't be surprised though, I can't remember the last time I wasn't disappointed with any book adaptation. I'm sure the Dark Tower will be a hot mess.

I can't see them not doing a reset. They wouldn't have mentioned it if they didn't plan on using it. I said it earlier, but it's Chekhov's Gun.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

nosleep posted:

Read somewhere on reddit

I see a critical error in your post.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Medullah posted:

I can't see them not doing a reset. They wouldn't have mentioned it if they didn't plan on using it. I said it earlier, but it's Chekhov's Gun.

Yea I would think they would have to do at least one reset. The only reason that points to not doing one is that 2 years have already passed. In the book, didn't he do a reset fairly quickly after he hosed up killing Dunning the first time? Also, They might be saving the Chekhov's reset for the very end, basically after he finds out that the results of saving Kennedy gently caress things up majorly, and he uses the reset to change things back.

Sleeveless posted:

I see a critical error in your post.

Yes, this is likely the case.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be stupid to not do a reset. Why would they even mention the reset if they didn't use it. Unless they use it in the last few minutes. Jake saves Kennedy and everything is great and he pops back to the future and everything is great and Kennedy never died. What's his face gives him the restaurant in his will so he goes to sell it. A potential buyer checks it out, walks into the closet and goes back to 1960. Poof, everything is reset and Kennedy dies and he wasted three years on nothing.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Cojawfee posted:

It would be stupid to not do a reset. Why would they even mention the reset if they didn't use it. Unless they use it in the last few minutes. Jake saves Kennedy and everything is great and he pops back to the future and everything is great and Kennedy never died. What's his face gives him the restaurant in his will so he goes to sell it. A potential buyer checks it out, walks into the closet and goes back to 1960. Poof, everything is reset and Kennedy dies and he wasted three years on nothing.

Why would he ever sell the restaurant. He would cement that room in, knowing what it is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tomahawk posted:

Why would he ever sell the restaurant. He would cement that room in, knowing what it is.
Wouldn't that cement just pour into 1960?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not only was Kennedy assassinated, there is also a strange cement fountain in Maine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh man that would really be something if they actually never reset, considering how major that seems to have been in the book.

I definitely worry about what will be added or taken out of Dark Tower, its one of my all-time favorite book series so I will be all sensitive about it.

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
My guess is he saves Kennedy, comes back to present day, and like the book, sees everything is hosed up and goes back to live happily ever after with Sadie while she's young. And that will be the only reset.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Quisty posted:

My guess is he saves Kennedy, comes back to present day, and like the book, sees everything is hosed up and goes back to live happily ever after with Sadie while she's young. And that will be the only reset.

This seems like a very likely outcome. I would bet they'd also show that something bad happened to Sadie after he left, so he doesn't feel guilty going back.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Quisty posted:

Yeah I think either this or he stops the JFK killing but then the past starts loving up, Sadie dies or some poo poo and he's stuck in the past. Then, he realizes he can go back into the past again and change everything by entering the diner again. Only, the diner isn't built yet so he has to wait until the diner is built in like 30 years, and he eventually becomes the old homeless man he met when he first arrived. He goes into the diner and travels back through time to 1960 for the second time and tries to warn himself (his past self) to leave, but his past self refuses to listen. So he takes matters into his own hands, he waits a few more years, and during the time of the JFK shooting, he sits on the grassy knoll and becomes the shooter, as his past self prevents Oswald from shooting. Time unfucks, Sadie doesn't die, and he's kicked out of the past into the present. His present. He's old. He thinks his life is over, that none of this was worth it. But then he thinks of Sadie and wonders if it's possible... He finds Sadie on her deathbed, she recognizes him, but in the time he's been gone, she's had a family, she's had children, grandchildren, great grandchildren. She asks where he's been gone all this time, and he tells her the truth, the entire incredible story. She tells him her final words "I believe you," and passes away. Last scene is him publishing his book as a fictional biography. Show fades to black.

I don't know it's viable, haven't read the book, I'm curious about what'll happen.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 3, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In the book the portal just resets over and over and you can't ever meet yourself.

I'm gonna be a little disappointed if he never goes back and resets. What's the point of saving the Janitor's family if we never see the payoff?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The time jump was too subtle for me. I didn't notice the first years that were shown so I was just all "why are they hanging '62 banners" and only realized it later on. The characters not acting like time had passed confused me a bit. I guess I'm too used to blatant montages to notice anything. The time jump in Notting Hill also went over my head if that's any indication.

I'm probably gonna be mad if they don't at least do a couple resets but at the same time the acting and the setting is really enjoyable so whatever. I liked the scene where they walked down Dealey Plaza a lot.

I wish they'd do more creepy stuff, that was the best part of the first episode. Now it seems like the past isn't really pushing back anymore and it feels a bit weird.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FilthyImp posted:

Wouldn't that cement just pour into 1960?

Not if you form it right.... plywood bro. Concreters best friend,

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Zwille posted:

I wish they'd do more creepy stuff, that was the best part of the first episode. Now it seems like the past isn't really pushing back anymore and it feels a bit weird.

The guy stealing the audio equipment was definitely the past pushing back but this episode was more about doing reconnaissance on Oswald and establishing himself at Jodie as opposed to actively trying to gently caress with history. The past will gently caress with Jake soon enough I'm sure.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The "past pushing back" aspect definitely felt more dramatic in the first episode, what with the car crash scene and all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Karmine posted:

The guy stealing the audio equipment was definitely the past pushing back

I don't think that's clear at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't see what the point of him stealing it all and taking it apart. I could see him stealing it and trying to sell everything, but just to break things because he kind of dislikes them?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Haven't read the book but I thought the first three episodes were really good and interesting and now my interest has piqued.

I think re: the past pushing back thing, in King's work there is almost always a strong mystical\karmatic undercurrent that is almost sentient in its efforts, the universe doesn't push back constantly, only enough to make the efforts of our time travelling protagonist futile.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Haven't read the book but I thought the first three episodes were really good and interesting and now my interest has piqued.

I think re: the past pushing back thing, in King's work there is almost always a strong mystical\karmatic undercurrent that is almost sentient in its efforts, the universe doesn't push back constantly, only enough to make the efforts of our time travelling protagonist futile.

in the book the universe's pushback is directly proportional to the urgency of the situation.....they're all pretty clearly inconsequential roadblocks that foreshadow something greater.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tiggum posted:

I just finished the episode, there's a scene right after he offers to get Ms. Mimi a cup of coffee where he walks down the hall nodding and smiling at students while the banners above him say "Homecoming 1960" "Valentine's Sweethearts 1961" and "Prom Night 1961" etc. and then to top it all off, there's literally a title card with 1962 in white text on a black background when he gets to the end of the hallway. Like I know goons in TVIV are generally bad at seeing things but come on guys.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

I just finished the episode, there's a scene right after he offers to get Ms. Mimi a cup of coffee where he walks down the hall nodding and smiling at students while the banners above him say "Homecoming 1960" "Valentine's Sweethearts 1961" and "Prom Night 1961" etc. and then to top it all off, there's literally a title card with 1962 in white text on a black background when he gets to the end of the hallway. Like I know goons in TVIV are generally bad at seeing things but come on guys.

Yeah, well, some people pay more attention to the actors n the characters they're playing, and also the general story, instead of every background detail and set detail, and the way the episode played out, characters acted, and just the whole way it was directed n edited it certainly didn't feel like the viewer was supposed to easily realize 2 years had gone by. I really like this show so far too and ain't trying to find poo poo to nitpick, but the time skip being handled halfassedly is legit and not some "lol goons don't know how the watch TV" TVIV default shitpost fallback

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Berzerker posted:

I guess I was just too busy crawling out from under the giant anvil that had just fallen on me, with the inscription "Racism is bad, you guys!".

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

brylcreem posted:

I guess I was just too busy crawling out from under the giant anvil that had just fallen on me, with the inscription "Racism is bad, you guys!".

I was under the impression that the scenes with Ms. Mimi were more about setting up Franco's character as the outsider. The strange writer / teacher that speaks differently and stands up for civil rights probably sticks out like a sore thumb.

On the other hand, I could be entirely wrong and it could have just been a simple statement about racism being bad.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

brylcreem posted:

That's not the entire point of that scene. As buddhanc said, it's likely to point out that Jake is a complete outsider with views antithetical to the time period and region he's in.

I'd also argue that the scene also points out how institutionalized the racism was (and still is in some areas) in the South. Miss Mimi was almost as horrified at Jake's actions as the gas attendant was.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

buddhanc posted:

I was under the impression that the scenes with Ms. Mimi were more about setting up Franco's character as the outsider. The strange writer / teacher that speaks differently and stands up for civil rights probably sticks out like a sore thumb.

But it didn't go anywhere? He's there for two years and everyone likes him and no one seems to regard him as strange or outspoken or whatever.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Tiggum posted:

But it didn't go anywhere? He's there for two years and everyone likes him and no one seems to regard him as strange or outspoken or whatever.

I suspect that drama will unfold in future episodes.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

savinhill posted:

certainly didn't feel like the viewer was supposed to easily realize 2 years had gone by. I really like this show so far too and ain't trying to find poo poo to nitpick, but the time skip being handled halfassedly is legit and not some "lol goons don't know how the watch TV" TVIV default shitpost fallback

yeah you're right it was pretty hidden and subtle my apologies lol

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

there's literally a title card with 1962 in white text on a black background

Could've sworn I remembered this occurring and thought I was going crazy when everyone here was saying they didn't realize there was a time jump. I get missing the banners, but missing something that takes up the entire screen?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I missed the time jump too but I frequently drink beer and futz around on my laptop when I watch t.v. so I'm sure I just wasn't looking at the screen.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Curious from someone who's read the book and may have more context, do characters age when they're in the past?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yes they do.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Has there been any talk of whether this will just be a single season? It seems that Kennedy either being shot or saved would be a pretty definitive ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

Has there been any talk of whether this will just be a single season? It seems that Kennedy either being shot or saved would be a pretty definitive ending.

Eight episode miniseries.

• Locked thread