Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dreddout posted:

You just want a free Sherman avatar, right?

Who wouldn't?

I mean just try and tell me that isn't the most handsome face of a man scowling in disapproval at the continued existence of the south that you've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Jastiger posted:

Goons know who Sherman is. Jastiger exists to educate them.
You certainly do. And you always will.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 7, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

No, hitler does not get a pass for concentration camps. I can't believe a person said this.

Disliking a group of people is very very different (and much more acceptable) than systematically slaughtering them down to the elderly and children. He was not "similar" to the people around him, unless you mean Sheridan.

Well I mean, smallpox blankets, the trail of tears, sooners and all that jazz never happened then, because clearly only Sherman was capable of killing indians and taking their land.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

You certainly do. And you always will.

i know him well. he stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk... and now sir we stand by each other always.

not really though because i dont like jastiger like that

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

In what way is Sherman evil? For waging war upon those who had already declared it upon him?
He brought fear unto the traitors that threatened to split the country. He took men who proudly insisted on waging a war that destroyed families in a misguided pursuit of pursuing slavery and made them reconsider their choices.
He was the reckoning of Justice upon the evil that corrupted our fair land.
People who slaughter large numbers of innocent people are evil in my opinion. sherman did exactly that to the native americans. That's bad.

What strange times it is that this opinion is the outcast.

FoolyCharged posted:

Well I mean, smallpox blankets, the trail of tears, sooners and all that jazz never happened then, because clearly only Sherman was capable of killing indians and taking their land.
I never said or implied sherman was the sole plight of the natives. Bad things happening to them in the past have nothing to do with sherman and I do not know why you brought it up.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 7, 2016

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, I kill people and take their poo poo all the time, but I never discriminate based on race, color, or creed. :shrug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

People who slaughter large number of innocent people are evil in my opinion. What strange times it is that this opinion is the outcast.

I never said or implied sherman was the sole reason for the plight of the natives. Bad things happening to them in the past does not forgive sherman for what he did.

Did he slaughter large numbers of innocents? last I checked his men were under orders to let those that left his troops alone be. Does being a traitor but not in the traitor states military make you innocent?

Actually you did when you claimed that no one shared his views on the matter.Those were in fact things demonstrating that other people shared those views and that killing the natives so their stuff could be taken was the norm.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
clearly anyone who states that "the only good terrorist is a dead terrorist" is actually planning out a global holocaust of brown people in detail and equals one (1) hitler

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

But if I see you with a Confederate flag, you are getting shived and stripped. :ese:

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volume posted:

We should take a page from Hitler and just gas every southerner

:agreed:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

sherman did exactly that to the native americans.

Yeah, he did...but not without reservations.

Wha, wha, whaaaaa.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah, he did...but not without reservations.

Wha, wha, whaaaaa.

terrible!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Did he slaughter large numbers of innocents?
Yes he did. Use the internet and find out for yourself, do not take my word for it.

"In 1867, General William Tecumseh Sherman said, "We must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux [Lakotas] even to their extermination: men, women and children.

In 1848, before the gold rush in California, that state's native population is estimated to have been 150,000. In 1870, after the gold rush, only about 31,000 were still alive."
source

"But gene lots of people didn't like native americans, that means the individuals who slaughtered them by the thousands are forgiven." - shitheads

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 7, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yes he did. Use the internet and find out for yourself, do not take my word for it.

ok
From special field order 120.

quote:

V. To army corps commanders alone is intrusted the power to destroy mills, houses, cotton-gins, &c., and for them this general principle is laid down: In districts and neighborhoods where the army is unmolested no destruction of such property should be permitted; but should guerrillas or bushwhackers molest our march, or should the inhabitants burn bridges, obstruct roads, or otherwise manifest local hostility, then army commanders should order and enforce a devastation more or less relentless according to the measure of such hostility.

Looks like explicit orders to only destroy the infrastructure of traitors to the union. No innocents there

"In 1867, General William Tecumseh Sherman said, "We must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux [Lakotas] even to their extermination: men, women and children.

In 1848, before the gold rush in California, that state's native population is estimated to have been 150,000. In 1870, after the gold rush, only about 31,000 were still alive."
source

So what you're saying is that Sherman saying some mean things in 1867 caused a 20 year destruction of a population to suddenly spring into place in the past?
Is Sherman actually the hero who discovered how to manipulate time itself?!

e:

Terribly hilarious!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Looks like explicit orders to only destroy the infrastructure of traitors to the union. No innocents there
I'm not discussing the civil war, I'm talking about the genocide of the Native Americans. But if you think the orders he gave during his march to the sea were the orders followed (or that he thought they were being followed) then you have been fooled. Even shermans defenders admit he knew the orders were not being followed. I'm sorry but this is a really basic thing to know.

FoolyCharged posted:

So what you're saying is that Sherman saying some mean things in 1867 caused a 20 year destruction of a population to suddenly spring into place in the past?
Is Sherman actually the hero who discovered how to manipulate time itself?!
No I'm saying he was part of the destruction. That he was in the field literally ordering their deaths. Jesus I never thought I'd see goons whitewashing the Native American genocide. Like I understand why you all can't say poo poo about the union, people might call you racist!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Did you know he murdered thousands of innocent Native Americans? That he actually referred to it as "the final solution of the Indian problem’'? Did you know about that? And having learned that just now, are you willing to state again who your hero is?

The Natives dealt out a lot of brutality against the white population, we didn't just lie there and take it like a bunch of hippies.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

this thing is like the symbol for my bad southern town.

quote:

The cannon was designed to shoot simultaneously two cannonballs connected with a chain to "mow down the enemy somewhat as a scythe cuts wheat". During tests the Gilleland cannon effectively mowed down trees, tore up a cornfield, knocked down a chimney and killed an unfortunate cow. None of the above were anywhere near the gun's intended target.

Gilleland considered the test-firings a success.

this is why the south lost.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dreddout posted:

Confederate battle flags are popular in my Midwestern area. They go an extra step to bastardize it with Gadsden snakes and eagles.

As a flag nerd, bastardizing flags with lovely decals offends me on a personal level. :heritage:

these are the only two rebel flags anyone needs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

TheReverend posted:

quote:

The cannon was designed to shoot simultaneously two cannonballs connected with a chain to "mow down the enemy somewhat as a scythe cuts wheat". During tests the Gilleland cannon effectively mowed down trees, tore up a cornfield, knocked down a chimney and killed an unfortunate cow. None of the above were anywhere near the gun's intended target.

Gilleland considered the test-firings a success.

this is why the south lost.

I too consider this a success.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TheReverend posted:

i thought that was the b-52s

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

it depends but that wasn't till like the 80's. REM is up there too. But this is what they choose to put next to city hall. A bad invention that never worked right and rumored to have also killed it's operators.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
hershel walker cuyler them dawgs is hell don't they

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
look at these classic city motherfuckers. go visit the tree that owns itself.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm not discussing the civil war, I'm talking about the genocide of the Native Americans. But if you think the orders he gave during his march to the sea were the orders followed (or that he thought they were being followed) then you have been fooled. Even shermans defenders admit he knew the orders were not being followed. I'm sorry but this is a really basic thing to know.

No I'm saying he was part of the destruction. That he was in the field literally ordering their deaths. Jesus I never thought I'd see goons whitewashing the Native American genocide. Like I understand why you all can't say poo poo about the union, people might call you racist!

I will give you this, you're at least arguing a defensible position this time. Sherman's attitudes towards the Native Americans were abhorrent. But this really doesn't have anything to do with why the south lost the civil war.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

sherman was pretty crazy but he brought those traitors in line

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

as a southerner i know that one of us has the raw power of ten northerners

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i mean, size, not power

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

the south would rise again if we weren't so concerned the north would march through burning down our walmarts and strip malls, basically destroying all local economies in their path

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the north's latest dastardly plan to destroy the south has been to send down all their retirees to ensure republican electoral dominance and suck up resources without contributing tax revenue

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

comes along bort posted:

the north's latest dastardly plan to destroy the south has been to send down all their retirees to ensure republican electoral dominance and suck up resources without contributing tax revenue

the south is aware. it's not a big deal, we just stick them in central florida. how else are we going to fill it?

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

when general lee was signing the treaty to surrender to grant he famously proclaimed "This is not a peace. It is an armistice for 152 years."

the south will rise again

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Necros posted:

sherman was pretty crazy but he brought those traitors in line

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
trains?

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
maybe ur actually gay irl

and not from me

blame ur dad

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Boy this thread went south. I still maintain it was hookworms that did the south in.

Has anyone else read a peoples history of the united states? Bringing up topics in it makes boomers want to fight me.

We've had like 50 undeclared wars since then! No one knows about them.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
i suppose if your whole family has a strange jealousy and classist rage issue

while associating with this AB poo poo so vapid in our area (including posing)

its just like

get teh gently caress away from me

get FEDSMOKED

there r plenty of nice areas in toronto

pick 1 that u like that isnt here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I'm not discussing the civil war, I'm talking about the genocide of the Native Americans.

So why aren't you also speaking out against his favored tactics during the Civil War, which would be called war crimes today?

After all if you're gonna engage with whiggish history you'd best be fair about your retroactive historical judgements. The War of Northern Aggression was a military suppression of a peaceful, democratically decided split between two countries. Sherman deliberately made war against civilians, women and children, at a point in time where the end of the war was no longer in doubt. Please say this also was evil.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
all nazis are forgiven

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

galahan posted:

Boy this thread went south. I still maintain it was hookworms that did the south in.

Has anyone else read a peoples history of the united states? Bringing up topics in it makes boomers want to fight me.

We've had like 50 undeclared wars since then! No one knows about them.

Howard Zinn owns for pissing off Baby Boomers and Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Necros posted:

he stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk... and now sir we stand by each other always.

Sherman & Grant are the best bros ever. Just 2 best friends, loving over the slaveholders. Then they probably got wasted & hosed a bunch of fine, Northern women, just because they could.

• Locked thread