Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And here's the music from the end of the sidequest video, scrubbed of potential spoilers in youtube comments and such.
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTsBX6FWJcNk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Facade is great.

I like that, as a book, Weiss considers "dog-eared" an insult.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a great reward that song.

The whole Facade bit up the temple n the other hand... It's one of those parts in video games where you have to convince yourself it's better as soon as the bad part is over.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kibayasu posted:

It's a great reward that song.

The whole Facade bit up the temple n the other hand... It's one of those parts in video games where you have to convince yourself it's better as soon as the bad part is over.

Look, it's intentionally annoying and that means it's ~*art*~.

e: This is a statement I will be making in earnest multiple times over the course of this LP.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 1, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well technically the Blacksmith's selection is unbeatable, because he doesn't have one. There's nothing to beat, therefore, it is unbeatable.

~*~Theoretical Shopkeeping~*~

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet our tax code can trump all the rules in Facade.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
Can I just point out that the rule for honoring outsiders' debts is around 70,000 rules before "Find royalty if they go missing"?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Now I know that Weiss is evil. Slut shaming isn't OK Grimoire Weiss, even for magic books.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

SpookBus posted:

Can I just point out that the rule for honoring outsiders' debts is around 70,000 rules before "Find royalty if they go missing"?

Back in the olden days royalty wouldn't dare to go missing. It's these millennials, I tell ya!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Now I know that Weiss is evil. Slut shaming isn't OK Grimoire Weiss, even for magic books.

It makes me mad too! He's such a prude. :mad:

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
The fellow's been imprisoned in that old shrine for who knows how long, you know he's got Embarrassing Opinions Grandpa Syndrome times a million.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Why, back in my day, all books wore dustjackets!"
"Cram it, book, before I take you to the outhouse."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

And here's the music from the end of the sidequest video, scrubbed of potential spoilers in youtube comments and such.
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTsBX6FWJcNk

This is really good. Also, what a weird sidequest reward- so you only get to listen to this song until you need Popola for something again?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This point in general might be my favorite part of the game thus far. Despite being a ancient sentient book of great power, Weiss is weirdly human: he complains, he doesn't always pay attention, and he negs on Nier, Kaine, and most everyone else with whom you interact. Compare that to sentient computer/artifact characters in other games and it's a big difference; imagine if Fi from Skyward Sword spent a quarter of her dialogue telling Link how he's wrong about everything.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

C-Euro posted:

This point in general might be my favorite part of the game thus far. Despite being a ancient sentient book of great power, Weiss is weirdly human: he complains, he doesn't always pay attention, and he negs on Nier, Kaine, and most everyone else with whom you interact. Compare that to sentient computer/artifact characters in other games and it's a big difference; imagine if Fi from Skyward Sword spent a quarter of her dialogue telling Link how he's wrong about everything.

It's always refreshing when a "sidekick character" is fleshed out and not just there for the sake of the main character having to have a sidekick (even if he's made of paper.)

I would have loved Fi to have just as much characterization as Weiss. Hell, I would have been happy if Fi actually had some sort of character growth whatsoever, even if it started later in the game. Though, to be fair, Midna filled the role of telling Link he was stupid and wrong about everything. :v:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

And? Midna's sass was one my favorite things about twilight princess. Also I'm glad someone is actually doing a vlp of the whole game, and as someone who beat it, godspeed.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
This Lp is amazing. I wish I could go back and actually play the game, but I'm a new father and don't have the time. Watching this as a dad really makes you appreciate this game more.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

And? Midna's sass was one my favorite things about twilight princess. Also I'm glad someone is actually doing a vlp of the whole game, and as someone who beat it, godspeed.

Nothing wrong about it. I loved Midna and her sass. I just wish Skyward Sword did something with Fi, not just her being a sassypants.

I'm also happy about there being a vlp of this game because I've only briefly heard the title somewhere, and I've never heard of the Drakenguard series, so I'm going into this completely blind.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:synthy: Update Time! :synthy:

The prince of Facade is lost somewhere within this desert temple. He might know something about a cure to the Black Scrawl, so we have to go save him (heck, we should probably do that anyway)! It's certainly not going to be easy, and as we trek through the temple we'll come across plenty of trials and tribulations. As well as the most...unique boss of the game so far.

(I wanted this week's update to be the second Drakengard plot recap, but I'm waiting for something to come in the mail before I can actually start working on it. It was supposed to be here last Tuesday but it still hasn't arrived. :( Hopefully it'll be here in time for the next update.)

Research Reports(?):

Weapons & Weapon Stories:

Rebirth

Earth Wyrm's Claw

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Boy, those weapon stories sure are a thing. I love how macabre some of them can get.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I like that Gods Bound By Rules is a reorchestration of the temple theme.

And the bullet cubes originated from Drakengard too

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like there is some rather extreme racism happening in 2030 towards people with different eyes. Probably a trait of a certain kind of foreigner. Or it could be that demons have invaded Earth and the Rapture is occurring.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I thought I heard that different songs had different fake languages with different roots but I could be mistaken. Either way Emi Evans is incredibly talented.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I thought I heard that different songs had different fake languages with different roots but I could be mistaken. Either way Emi Evans is incredibly talented.

You think that's telented? How about singing backwards?
E: didn't link it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rVHr6OwjI

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 8, 2016

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah nier has at least 3 fake languages. One based on Japanese one based on German and one based on French.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Whenever I think of fake languages in video games, the first thing that comes to mind is Star Fox Adventures. I was still in my early teens when I played the game, but even at the time I could easily tell how stilted and weird the fake language they use in that game was. It all just sounds like jumbled syllables. I'm surprised the voice actors could even say these tongue-twisting lines while still emoting halfway decently.

What I'm saying is: it's a mean feat that the they managed to create three quasi languages from the ground up for NieR that actually sound convincing.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I think when the Prince did the Zelda Pose was when I realized my feelings for this game went from "I like this game" to "I really like this game" back when I first played it. It's such a charming homage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Gods Bound by Rules" is perhaps my favorite boss theme. The boss it's attached to might not be the most amazing thing but I can't deny that music.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:synthy: Update Time! :synthy:

Just when it looks like we've run out of leads, faith finds us and shows us the way. A message that comes to us in a dream leads us to a serene little village at the edge of the Northern Plains, where the gameplay takes a turn for the...different. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

Yonah's Diary Entries:

Documents:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Meant to post this in response to the previous ep, but Kaine's dialogue sounds like it was written by a 12-year old who's just seen his first few episodes of South Park and I love her (and the writers) for that :allears: It probably pertains to the newest episode too, I have yet to watch it.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
For the record, that is the riddle of the sphinx from from greek mythology.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Specifically the story of Oedipus, who solves the riddle to save the city of Thebes and become its king via unintentional incest.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
When that overly recycled riddle popped up, I almost expected this genre-savvy game to pull a Valkyrie Profile:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Grimoire Weiss does not take powergaming lightly. :colbert:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

If the Oedipus story is the source of that riddle then it's no wonder it's so Complex!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JordanKai posted:

If the Oedipus story is the source of that riddle then it's no wonder it's so Complex!

geooooooop

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
When I read that, I thought he was just bitching about an annoying story.

If you just hadn't said anything, it would have flown over my radar. This is your fault. I blame you. You are responsible for this. Accept your guilt!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
When I first saw this section in TheDarkId's lp, I thought he was just doing some weird photoshop nonsense for a bit. Seeing the deathdream in (relative) motion was really rad

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

That part was certainly unexpected.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Guess what everybody!

Non-PS4 havers can rest easy. :buddy:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

And I just got a PS4 as well! Ah well, the more folks who can enjoy it, the better, says I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Early next year.

• Locked thread