Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

IronicDongz posted:

I honestly think a good start for showing off how stuff works is a Halfling Artificer. You have decent defenses and a great short blades apt, and you have wand options for earlygame threats like adders and scary orcs(so you can say "hey, this adder is dangerous, I'm gonna zap it with flame/enslavement")

Ooh, I think I really like this idea. I've been playing a lot of FoAf recently but Halfling is more accessible and a bit more reactive. It's also neat that I can show off the synergize with stabbing and confusion/para wands, and Pakellas is still bonkers strong right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I've only recently graduated from MiBe and GrFi and I'd agree that they'd be a little boring for a tutorials.

Wands with Pakellas renewed my interest in Crawl. I've been playing Kobold artificers. Lots of dumb, impatient splats, but I've had some monster characters. Having a handful of wands teaches you options a lot faster than spellcasting does, so it would work well in a tutorial.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Holy poo poo

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

inb4 dissolved by a caustic shrike pack and/or oneshot by a juggernaut

I almost died in Spider to an entropy weaver before I realised what it was doing to me.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Alright then, since the two above me have the same outlook I do, let's get started.

Private Speech, bitcoin bastard. I'll need some character names. I don't play particularly fast, nor do I have a terribly long time to play during the tournament period. But eh, let's do this.

I'm privategoon on CAO (had to make a new account), so:

code:
# TEAMNAME Evoking_Mediocrity

1. MatlockB
2. bitcoinbastard
3. privategoon
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay I'm recruiting for a team too! So far we are all not very good players, so no requirements. We just want to play a lot and have fun. I'm going to try to post a win myself, but that's not something everyone needs to do.

We could merge with Evoking Mediocrity if you all want, since we each have 3 spots spare and similar (read no) requirements, but it's up to your captain!

code:
# TEAMNAME ZeeZeeMeatls
# TEAMCAPTAIN Arivia

1. GlitchThief
2. Neongrey

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I need this in ebook form. Last thing I read like this was Diary of a Rapist.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches
After I clear Orc and Lair, what's next? I keep losing casters when I'm forced to do a branch with a rune. I can usually do Swamp if it's available, but Shoals, Snake, and Spider all feel really dangerous. When should I be clearing out the Depths?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Generally, from what I've seen in IRC, the order is:

Dungeon 1-12
Lair 1-8
Dungeon 13-15
Orc 1-2

Then it's any of Swamp/Shoals/Snake/Spider (depending on your resistances and defense).

Vaults 1-4
Depths 1-5

At this point, if you're just doing a 3-rune and can handle it, go for Zot 1-5. Otherwise, you can do Vaults 5, any of the extended stuff that you think you can handle, then Zot 1-5.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
my recommendation is
  • d to lair
  • lair
  • orc
  • i guess you can do the rest of d at some point if you want
  • the lair rune branches (not slime!), start with the poison branch (snake/spider) if you have rpois and the other one otherwise
  • vaults to 4
  • depths
  • elf goes around here somewhere, maybe. could do it before depths or maybe even before vaults
  • third rune: vaults:5 if you're a 'tank' or 'blaster', abyss if you're 'sneaky', slime if you 'really want to'
  • zot
http://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#hyperelliptic is the classic order, it's a little more cautious than i am.

Shinino Kage posted:

At this point, if you're just doing a 3-rune and can handle it, go for Zot 1-5.

entering zot with two runes would be pretty impressive.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 1, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Actually everyone should do Vaults:5 for one of their runes because it's one of the most fun and intense experiences you can ever have in a video game.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Vaults 5 is still one of the most fun things in Crawl for sure.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
hey this run is going great, the game must be apologizing for all the poo poo luck lately :)

nothing can stop me with drops this good :black101:

maybe i should make a tutorial video :kiddo:

oh now i'm dead :spergin:

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Is the Armour of Ponderousness going to get this guy killed? Normally I wouldn't bother but it's a free +8AC in the very early midgame, and my previous equip was a randart troll leather that I was mostly wearing for the rPois.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Pinechild/Pinechild.txt
code:
Pinechild the Martial Artist (Demonspawn Monk)     Turns: 18628, Time: 01:57:10

Health: 86/86      AC: 27    Str: 14    XL:     13   Next: 33%
Magic:  21/21      EV:  8    Int: 12    God:    Pakellas [******]
Gold:   943        SH: 13    Dex: 18    Spells: 1 memorised, 6 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    a - +8 plate armour {ponderous}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    l - +2 shield
rPois  .          Spirit   .    M - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    n - +1 cloak
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    (no gloves)
SustAt .          Harm     .    J - +0 pair of boots
MR     .....                    (no amulet)
Stlth  +.........               f - +3 ring of slaying
                                I - ring of protection from fire

@: slow, not resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: hooves 1, nightstalker 2, powered by death 1, augmentation 1, sturdy frame 2
a: Quick Charge, Device Surge, Supercharge, Renounce Religion
fake edit: oh wow that dropped my stealth by a bunch. Is that an artifact of switching to plate, or does ponderous also make you noisy?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pinechild posted:

fake edit: oh wow that dropped my stealth by a bunch. Is that an artifact of switching to plate, or does ponderous also make you noisy?

It's the plate. Armour EVP reduces stealth, spellcasting chance, accuracy (slightly), and, of course, EV.

Wearing plate at 14 str is kind of iffy; rule of thumb is that you want about as much str as EV, and you're 4 short. It's also kind of a waste of that 18 dex. The AC is nothing to sneeze at, though, and you weren't casting spells anyway. What were your defenses in your previous armour?

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 2, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I always do
  • d1 to 11
  • either lair or orc, depending on my kit(ex: if I'm rocking hexes or high evo hex wands I'll do orc first because almost everything there is trivialized by stuff that checks MR, and if something that isn't shows up I'll leave)
  • both lair branches, swamp 1st if it shows up, shoals second if it shows up
  • d12 to 15
  • vault 1-4
  • 3rd rune, usually abyss which is secretly the easiest(especially now). once in a while slime. only vault 5 if I'm feeling very confident in my build and escape options
  • win
stick "do all the other 14 runes starting with tomb" between 3rd rune and win if it's a tourny or I'm high or something

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Pan runes in a 3rune game is the only way to live

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What's the new hotness for a stash drop? Back when I was playing last it was Lair 2 because there were no item eaters that spawned, but idk if I need to go that far with the new builds.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

bitcoin bastard posted:

What's the new hotness for a stash drop? Back when I was playing last it was Lair 2 because there were no item eaters that spawned, but idk if I need to go that far with the new builds.

Location no longer matters because there aren't item eaters (except in slime maybe?) and monsters won't pick up items that the player has seen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I Love You! posted:

Pan runes in a 3rune game is the only way to live
my first win ever I got 3 runes and then dove into hell, got 1 rune, then left and ascended. ended with like 20+ points of rot and a -1 GDA lmao

bitcoin bastard posted:

You don't do it. I haven't done it since like... idk, the removal of item destruction at the least. which was a while ago. certainly not since 0.16 or something it's just not required or important at all.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Location no longer matters because there aren't item eaters (except in slime maybe?) and monsters won't pick up items that the player has seen.
slimes can eat items like normal but items the player has seen cannot be picked up or eaten. so the only items that ever get eaten are things that you never got a chance to see anyways so just pretend they were all cursed -2 ring mail

still though, Don't Do A Stash. free your mind

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 2, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Wait, slimes don't eat items anymore? I swear I heard a slurping noise! In .18 before..

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

You don't really need a stash, other than for organisational purposes, but it is more ordered to have one. I usually stash on L1 or on the D level where the Lair entrance is.

Really, I find the whole stash thing quite tedious. I also understand the need for limited inventory. It would be nice if there was another unlimited item storage that you could swap items in and out of the inventory to, maybe at a high turn cost or something like that so it doesn't just turn into a big inventory.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stoat posted:

Wait, slimes don't eat items anymore? I swear I heard a slurping noise! In .18 before..

Jellies only eat unseen items unless you are a Jiyva worshipper.

Maurice, on the other hand, is now the only monster who will punish you for items on the ground, as he is the only one that will pick them up even if they have been seen.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I still use stashes, mostly because spellbooks still exist. Being able to see all the spells I can learn in one spot is handy. Having a central place for my curemuts/enchant/amnesia consumables is nice too. Everything else I could stash is probably never going to be picked up again so I don't bother.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stoat posted:

They're eating things out of LoS, in unexplored territory(so you haven't seen those items yet, so they can eat them).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Darox posted:

I still use stashes, mostly because spellbooks still exist. Being able to see all the spells I can learn in one spot is handy. Having a central place for my curemuts/enchant/amnesia consumables is nice too. Everything else I could stash is probably never going to be picked up again so I don't bother.

I hope spellbooks will stop being physical items by .19.

It should work like Dark Souls where you have an infinite inventory of potential spells but have to actually equip/memorize them before you can cast them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Guess I'll open up the Abyss team offering again. Usual behaviour of former members get priority all skill levels are welcome. Such is chaos, after all.

code:
# TEAMNAME Give A Man Abyss And They Will Be Fed For A Day
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The_North posted:

After I clear Orc and Lair, what's next? I keep losing casters when I'm forced to do a branch with a rune. I can usually do Swamp if it's available, but Shoals, Snake, and Spider all feel really dangerous. When should I be clearing out the Depths?
People have covered order already, but some tips for the lair branches as a caster:

-You, really, really want some source of invisibility for Spider. If a ghost moth drains all your MP and you have no other good attacking options, you're hosed. (Doubly so since you rarely see them outside the end vault) But they can't drain MP while you're invisible, so...
-If you can scrounge up rmsl(or, less likely for that point in the game, dmsl), Shoals shouldn't be that bad. You have ranged options to counter all the ranged attackers, and your primary form of attack isn't affected by standing in shallow water, so you mostly need a way to make sure javelins & slings don't murder you.
-Snake is tough, and I have no specific advice for it other than "probably do it second" and "try to have rElec, rPois, and good MR".
-Don't be afraid to ignore the order you decided on & bounce back and forth between branches if one gets too tough. You lose nothing but a bit of score and hunger.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I guess I'm the only madman who semiregularly does Crypt on 3 runners. Most of my deaths happen around and before Lair, so by the end I can usually handle it without a problem. Then again, I usually play blaster mages so that might have something to do with it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Give A Man Abyss And They Will Be Dead In A Day
or
All Men Are Equal Before Abyss

(all the good punny ones are used up :()

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I guess I'm the only madman who semiregularly does Crypt on 3 runners. Most of my deaths happen around and before Lair, so by the end I can usually handle it without a problem. Then again, I usually play blaster mages so that might have something to do with it.
I don't understand why anyone would skip crypt unless they are worried about time. Crypts isn't much of a step up from vaults and the end has some decent loot. I usually do it as soon as I find it or immediately after vaults4.

Unless your character is uniquely bad against the undead, but who would that even be? A venom mage who never branched? A necromancer who somehow doesn't have dispel undead?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I can see maybe Dispel Undead not being found but it's not much of an excuse because Control Undead is also present and more common.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Darox posted:

I don't understand why anyone would skip crypt unless they are worried about time. Crypts isn't much of a step up from vaults and the end has some decent loot. I usually do it as soon as I find it or immediately after vaults4.

Unless your character is uniquely bad against the undead, but who would that even be? A venom mage who never branched? A necromancer who somehow doesn't have dispel undead?

My pakellite had some trouble in Crypts because his main offenses were rods of iron/clouds. Crypts has lots of high-AC things and most of the rod of cloud results (except acid) are resisted by undead.

But then he got shadows and had no trouble clearing the rest of Crypt.
and then cszo died

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't do crypt because I really truly just dont care enough by that point in the game

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

It's the plate. Armour EVP reduces stealth, spellcasting chance, accuracy (slightly), and, of course, EV.

Wearing plate at 14 str is kind of iffy; rule of thumb is that you want about as much str as EV, and you're 4 short. It's also kind of a waste of that 18 dex. The AC is nothing to sneeze at, though, and you weren't casting spells anyway. What were your defenses in your previous armour?

I was hoping that wasn't the case, either that or I was hoping that new DS mutation that reduces armour penalty would have taken care of it. Apparently that has an ER of -4 so I can kind of get away with it? Don't know if that's cumulative with the shield too though.

Defenses in the troll leather: 12 AC, 14 EV, 5 pips of stealth. Defenses in the plate: 27 AC, 8 EV, 1 pip of stealth. The AC alone is more than the combined AC/EV on the troll leather, so I'm probably going to play cautiously and pump everything into str, Armour, and Shields.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you get shield skill to 15(for normal sized race, with not a "large" shield), shields have 0 er

But definitely don't put everything in armor and shields. Pump unarmed. Maybe just unarmed, I'm not sure if I'd use the shield as your character, but if you wanna use the shield you should keep training unarmed alongside it for a while at least.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Just finished working on some new mutant beast tiles. Purple reign...

Edit: Forgot to add the batweird beast.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 2, 2016

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That's great stuff.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

What's a mutant beast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Give A Man Abyss And They Will Be Dead In A Day
or
All Men Are Equal Before Abyss

(all the good punny ones are used up :()

Got 14 runes but Abyss ain't one

• Locked thread