Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I wish they re-released Demon's Souls on PC or the Wii U. I don't have any of the other consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Squint posted:

Oh poo poo, there goes Geop's 100% run!
YOU'RE FIRED! :bahgawd:

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wish they re-released Demon's Souls on PC or the Wii U. I don't have any of the other consoles.
A Demon's Souls port to PC would be very nice. I figure Sony wouldn't have anything against pushing that for some extra cash on the side (it'd definitely sell), but there might be some technical snags in the way, like for other titles :(

As I sigh wistfully, gazing in Read Dead Redemption's direction.

Geop fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 3, 2016

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

That's most likely a controller issue rather than a game issue. I'd thought it was the latter, but after some testing with both a Logitech Dual Action (which does them fine) and a Logitech F310 (which gives issues given a certain deadzone on the left stick) I'd found it was just the former.

It could be exacerbated by my gamepad for all I know, yeah. I've only played DS and DS2 using an Xbox 360 gamepad that dates back to... 2007, maybe? To be fair though, I never did use the 360 much. :v:

I do think that using an analogue input (especially the stick used for movement) as a modifier - and requiring perfect timing on top of that - is not a great idea, though. The whole issue could be easily bypassed by providing alternate binds or even by simply letting the player rebind the controls.

Whatever the case, it seems like a relatively widespread problem, if that page I linked to with the Joy2Key guide is anything to go by. And obviously Geop was struggling with getting the jump attack to trigger in the video, too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Geop posted:

As I sigh wistfully, gazing in Read Dead Redemption's direction.

One day, my love will be back from the war... one day...

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I definitely don't see "Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, coming to a steam near you!" ever happening. It'd be like giving somebody else your season tickets as long as they gave you some tiny peanut packets in exchange. Only way we're getting either on PC is if Sony decides to build their own retail platform for PC and the only way Sony will do that is if they're planning a long-term transition away from selling systems and toward retail platforms. Maybe that's the case, but we're not there yet for sure.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't know about demons souls, but I remember reading thar Red Dead Redemption is such a labyrinthian spaghetti coded nightmare that it would take more resources than rockstar can spare to port it :(

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh man, decisions: re-watch the other Geop LPs, or replay Dark Souls 2, when I should be doing so many other things?

Trick question: watch LPs while taking care of one of those other things (crocheting a wedding gift).

Something things just work out perfectly. :unsmith:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think they have been fiddling with the kick/jump attack inputs, I nailed them reliably in 1 and can't quite manage in 3. Never really tried them in 2 cause it pissed me off every time I tried to play it.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Geop it's finals week. Why are you doing this now. I have a degree to work on.
Looks like I'll be watching this LP during remedial classes.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

I don't know about demons souls, but I remember reading thar Red Dead Redemption is such a labyrinthian spaghetti coded nightmare that it would take more resources than rockstar can spare to port it :(

They need The Benz!

On topic: Thanks for doing this, Geop et al, it's my favorite series and your DS1 LP was fantastic.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dabir posted:

I think they have been fiddling with the kick/jump attack inputs, I nailed them reliably in 1 and can't quite manage in 3. Never really tried them in 2 cause it pissed me off every time I tried to play it.

If I had a dollar for every time that I staggered a large enemy in DS3, only to kick it for like 50 damage instead of swinging my massive gently caress-off sword for 200 damage, I would have enough money to pay From to engineer a way that only ever made the kick triggered when I mentally wanted it to.

It's seriously great, and also awful, how much more sensitive the kick in DS3 is. DS2 was much, much harder to "kick" in, comparitively.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm so loving excited about this

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Kallev posted:

Geop it's finals week. Why are you doing this now. I have a degree to work on.
Looks like I'll be watching this LP during remedial classes.

It's all good man, this LP will take a year, easily. Kick back for now, study, and binge all the available sessions after your exams are over!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I was hoping this LP was around the corner, despite that I haven't even looked halfway through the Dark Souls 1 LP. Hope you have fun Geop.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Decus posted:

I definitely don't see "Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, coming to a steam near you!" ever happening. It'd be like giving somebody else your season tickets as long as they gave you some tiny peanut packets in exchange. Only way we're getting either on PC is if Sony decides to build their own retail platform for PC and the only way Sony will do that is if they're planning a long-term transition away from selling systems and toward retail platforms. Maybe that's the case, but we're not there yet for sure.

Also Atlus probably owns the english translation and the rights to sell the game in America and two things they're never going to do is give up those rights and make a game for the PC

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhlaab posted:

Also Atlus probably owns the english translation and the rights to sell the game in America and two things they're never going to do is give up those rights and make a game for the PC

Wait, but Disgaea got to Steam, right? That was originally Sony only and Atlus translated. Or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of? Or was Disgaea just really old?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Raygereio posted:

I rolled my eyes at it when the game first came out. I just didn't like how on the nose it was with the whole "Yeah, you're going to fail over and over again:smuggo:". But that might because at the time I had gotten annoyed at how every goddamn preview tried to hype up how super hard the game would be.
Now I think a bunch of old ladies calling the player poo poo is kind of funny.:shrug:

I never really minded it - I mean, I'm undead, so dying a bit isn't such a big deal anyway, I can always have another go. I think they were trying to emphasise this and also that you're not the only one to go on this journey, and not marked by destiny as the obvious legendary hero who'll save the day for everyone.:shrug: try stoicism.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Wait, but Disgaea got to Steam, right? That was originally Sony only and Atlus translated. Or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of? Or was Disgaea just really old?

NISA has been bringing a ton of Vita games over to PC to increase their sales and met with a good deal of success, as they continue to do it.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

If only the ports were worth a squirt of piss.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
The first update reminded me again how all of the starting classes are poo poo in DS 2. The warrior and the knight probably have the best stats to get through the early game but man does everything suck withought a proper shield or weapon if you are unfamiliar with the game.

Overall i probably played this more than DS1 only because i always stopped having fun after i get through Anor Londo. Also, the DLC areas of DS2 are just really good and make up for almost of the faults of the base game. Then again, I also really liked the base game a lot.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't mind the old ladies as much even though their dialogue is kinda a little on the nose. They are just basically portraying the game as it wants to be seen.

I generally don't think Dark Souls is really about the difficulty, that's just how it's marketed. I feel that the relatively high difficulty is just a part of the game's atmosphere. It's what I enjoyed a lot about Dark Souls and Dark Souls III. Dark Souls II didn't really get that, I feel, and instead was pretty much "This is a hard game, it's hard. Very hard. so hard :smug:" The game is still great, but that one aspect I actually enjoyed the most about the first game is missing for the most part. Though, it has its moments.

The games have definitely had that reputation played up. They're difficult, sure. You could make a case that they're Nintendo Hard in a lot of respects, even, but they're nowhere near as insanely hard as the press and word of mouth make them out to be.

I'm in an odd place where I didn't know jack about Dark Souls when I initially picked it up. I got the PC release during a Steam sale for like 12 dollars, long after it and Demon's Souls had been on the market, and the only thing I'd ever heard about the series was "it's hard" and that I should probably steer clear of it. Went into it completely blind otherwise and fell utterly in love with it. A game my friends insisted I would hate due to its difficulty wound up becoming one of my most favorite gaming experiences ever. And it is definitely not as hard as they claim. Mostly it just rewards a different mindset while playing it than other action-RPGs, one that I fell into quite naturally.

Dark Souls 2... I have a love-hate relationship with it. It is good. I don't have the same affection for it as I do for DkS, for a number of reasons, but at the same time I've spent more time playing it than all the other Souls titles combined. It pisses me off to no end, I have rage-quit and thrown controllers and screamed at it for stupid things, but something about it always keeps me coming back.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Geop handles it. :munch:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I am so excited. Your Dark Souls LP is up there with Pokecapn's Sonic 2k6 LP for the LP gold standard in comedy.

What's the update schedule gonna be? I need more! Geop, when's dark souls 2!

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

I remember when Dark Souls 2 first came out and lots of people who took the games very seriously were mad that the old ladies kept teasing them about dying and losing their souls over and over.

I had no idea about this, but that seems super silly. I mean it's not like the lovely ol' firekeepers are following you and commenting on everything you do-

oh.

(This took me two days to do. I'm sorry. Also, won't be doing anymore until I heal. Take the silly opportunities for me thread, okay?)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Please heal fast because holy poo poo.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

*See's three old ladies and a caretaker*
Squint: Y'no it's the classic witch trio of maid, matron and crone...

I'm not letting that one slide

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ah yes the ghosts of souls past, present and future here to teach Goonther a moral about jumping

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That actually would have been clever and I'm actually kind of bummed they didn't make the old ladies a maiden/matron/crone trio, rather than just three interchangeable old ladies.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Akogare Zephyr posted:

I had no idea about this, but that seems super silly. I mean it's not like the lovely ol' firekeepers are following you and commenting on everything you do-

oh.

(This took me two days to do. I'm sorry. Also, won't be doing anymore until I heal. Take the silly opportunities for me thread, okay?)

this rules and i hope you get better soon

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Akogare Zephyr posted:

oh.

:kimchi:

"Goonther, this night you shall be visited by three spirits. The Spirit of Deaths Past, the Spirit of Deaths Present and the Spirit of Deaths to Come."
"Seems like there's a bit of overlap with all three."
"Yeah and that's why they'll be all visiting at once. Make sure you put some liquor out, at least two of them are fond of beer."
"But Good Lord Gwyn, I don't have the space to receive three guests at once!"
"What's that? I can't hear you, I'm being returned to my realm beyond the grave."
And with that, the specter of Gwyn, Lord of Cinder, vanished.
"Man. If that was supposed to make me feel bad for killing him and setting myself on fire, it didn't work. I forgot how much of a jerk he was."

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Hostile V posted:

"Goonther, this night you shall be visited by three spirits. The Spirit of Deaths Past, the Spirit of Deaths Present and the Spirit of Deaths to Come."
"Yeah and that's why they'll be all visiting at once. Make sure you put some liquor out, at least two of them are fond of beer."
"What's that? I can't hear you, I'm being returned to my realm beyond the grave."
"Man. If that was supposed to make me feel bad for killing him and setting myself on fire, it didn't work. I forgot how much of a jerk he was."

I love this thread and I love you guys. :kimchi:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Akogare Zephyr posted:

oh.

Everything, everywhere, can always use more Statler and Waldorfing.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hostile V posted:

And so Goonther threw open his window, spying a little hollow he cried out.
"Young boy what day is it" his voice filled with trepidation, could he have missed it.
The little boy pulled open his catarina helm, eyes filled with joy and wonder.
"Why sir, how could you forget... it's Leg day"

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Posting a day early due to that second wonderful doodle by Akogare :3:

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused

Geop posted:

It definitely looked like it was hanging from the roof of something!

I'm almost certain they come from the ground!

also, hooray, new episode! I started re-watching your original Dark Souls LP again because I couldn't wait for new episodes, keep up the good work!

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

It almost looked like Goonther was trying to do a karate kid crane pose at the end there...

Tally remains at 5..

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The opening to Dark Souls II really rubbed me the wrong way. I think it came across like the team knew Dark Souls was vague about its lore and ended up being really ostentatiously vague at times. It's like--Dark Souls left blanks; Dark Souls II leaves blanks and then puts a big sign next to those blanks saying, "There's a blank here. This is a thing you don't know, and we're sure not going to tell you." Every time a character says something to the effect of "you'll do <thing> without really knowing why" I kind of roll my eyes. (That, and the "you'll die and lose your souls, over and over" talk felt like a fourth-wall break to drive home the Prepare to Die thing.)

I should point out that certain parts of Dark Souls II make that "obvious" vagueness into an interesting theme--whenever it crosses over into a theme of memory and forgetting, it's handled much better--but that introduction really soured me on a lot of Dark Souls II's story.

(I also think people are looking back at Dark Souls II's gameplay with rose-colored glasses right now because Dark Souls III has some pretty deep flaws of its own.)

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Ï found the exploding barrels in the exact same way at the beginning of the game. Looked around, decided to leave the guys behind the door alone for a bit, noticed some barrels and naturally rolled into them and boom. Fun times.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

gibb3h posted:

It almost looked like Goonther was trying to do a karate kid crane pose at the end there...

Tally remains at 5..

Really? I got the first verse of 'Circle of Life'. The new king has been born into this world! Behold his cherubic face and tremble for what is to come.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I did the exact same thing by visiting Scottish guy's ruins on my first time playing, right on down to exploding the barrel and attracting all six of those tenants. That certainly was an intro to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Were you making a Titanic impression at the end there? :allears:

That exploding barrel was a beautiful dick move.

• Locked thread