Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That was beautiful. The Star Wolf portion of that level had me grinning like a fool, and the only way I feel like it could have been cooler is if a) Wolf had been in on the act from the get-go, and b) there was still a capital ship vs. capital ship firefight raging around you as it happened. Even as it was, the 3v4 furball (ha) was cool as all get-out, and your ability to steer the Arwing independently of where the camera was pointing made the visuals incredibly awesome.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
That looked as fun as the last level looked not fun.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Fortuna

Episode 6: Run 1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fun fact: Fortuna is about the only Star Fox planet that looks different every time it appears. In the original you go from grassland to above an ocean and finally to plains, in the unreleased Star Fox 2 it's a water world, 64 doesn't count as that was just a strange mistranslation of another planet called Fichina, in Assault it was mostly forest and here it's a swamp.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 9, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Larryb posted:

Fun fact: Fortuna is about the only Star Fox planet that's different every time it appears. In the original you go from grassland to above an ocean and finally to plains, in the unreleased Star Fox 2 it's a water world, 64 doesn't count as that was just a strange mistranslation of another planet called Fichina, in Assault it was mostly forest and here it's a swamp.

Heh, reminds me of the LP astrangeflea did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saCsYRP_1k8&t=335s

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Still better then claim asteroids as kills

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
re: nonsensical medal placements, I think that might be Platinum's influence. Their games have tons of secret items and fights all over the place that require either a guide or obsessive backtracking to find

Larryb posted:

Fun fact: Fortuna is about the only Star Fox planet that looks different every time it appears. In the original you go from grassland to above an ocean and finally to plains, in the unreleased Star Fox 2 it's a water world, 64 doesn't count as that was just a strange mistranslation of another planet called Fichina, in Assault it was mostly forest and here it's a swamp.

Fortuna is one of the few planets in fiction to actually have more than one biome, Fortuna owns

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You'd think Peppy would be the racist old geezer, but using Slippy makes the scene a lot funnier.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Hey, I think it looked good - that guy actually looked tough to fight.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Sector ω

Episode 7: Run 1

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
One wonders just how long it actually does take team star fox to go from zone to zone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

cokerpilot posted:

One wonders just how long it actually does take team star fox to go from zone to zone.

Depends on how much they get paid.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

cokerpilot posted:

While this is isn't directly addressed in the game, some events occur between zones that sort of give you an idea of how long it can take to go between planets/areas.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's kind of weird how much you insist on bringing Zoness back up in every video now, guys. You made your point four videos ago.

The complaints about length are actually fairly valid when compared to Lylat Wars; a strict comparison shows Zero has fewer levels overall, fewer boss fights, and there's only one point in a first run where you can go to a different zone based on what you do in a previous level. And each individual run is, on average, shorter than Lylat Wars, as well.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sector omega owns

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

starfox gotta go fast

And frozentreasure, speaking for myself, I don't make a big to-do over Zoness as much as I feel Maple does. I've experienced with bad levels in otherwise excellent games before (the sunken ship in Perfect Dark comes to mind), but in the case of Star Fox Zero it seems more of a retread to show how wildly different in scope the gameplay between that level and the rest of the game is.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Corneria

Episode 8: Run 2

Aquarosa

Episode 8: Run 2

Star Fox Guard was bundled with Star Fox Zero on its release day, coming in a double-wide package containing two cases for game discs. Later printings of Star Fox Zero removed the disc for Guard in favour of giving the customer a download code for the Wii U Shop instead. The game is free with the purchase of Zero or sold separately.

The game was first announced by Shigeru Miyamoto back at E3 2014, the same time as Star Fox Zero, but back then it was codenamed "Project Guard." The game originally had nothing to do with Star Fox at all, but Project Guard was rebranded, renamed, and re-announced at a Nintendo Direct back in March of 2016, one month before Zero's release. It was directed by Yugo Hayashi and Teruaki Konishi, and was also developed by Platinum Games.

Despite the name and the aesthetic, Guard couldn't be any further removed from the Star Fox franchise. Rather than a rail-shooter dramedy about talking animals in space, it's a tower defense game and contains a minimal amount of character interaction. Its reception has generally been mixed: critics praised its gameplay and the myriad of features available for it, including a stage editor and customizable enemies, but generally people are turned off by its meh graphics and second-rate audio production.

We're doing this game blind and live, so we'll see for ourselves!

Videos:

Episode 1: he lives

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You actually can fly inside the first boss on your intial playthrough, doing so will automatically unlock the Walker there rather than in Sector A like you normally would. Also, if you fire a bomb at the ship when the spider robots are clinging to it you can destroy them all with one shot.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I did not expect to listen to the kickass Corneria theme from the SNES game in here: that was a really nice touch. :allears:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Slippy and Grippy's Mining Madhouse didn't have nothing to do with Star Fox when it was first revealed. People were seeing Star Fox logos around the place when they played the Project Guard demo.

The best way to handle it alone is to put the first six cameras on the outer walls and the second six as your internal defences so your eyes don't have to roam as much. It's really stressful and fun and stressful, but it can be done.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Happy birthday!

For yesterday.

Also that was a massive nostalgia trip, but that model was hilarious.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
The retro Arwing is mechanically different? I'm really starting to hate Amiibo unlocks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So...it seems like they just treat this as an additional mission rather than a branch in the story, since they reference stuff that happens after Corneria?
That doesn't really make sense.
I thought the idea would be that going into the portal lets you fight the Androsa before it actually attacks the base or something like that, but apparently it's a completely different robot and also you already thought Androsa anyway even though you came here by replaying the mission and finishing it differently.
:confused:

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 22, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fox! You've created a time paradox!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm assuming there's some time fuckery that would/will be explained by the last level on Corneria.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Don't worry. It gets even more confusing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

EllipsisBreak posted:

The retro Arwing is mechanically different? I'm really starting to hate Amiibo unlocks.

Why? You can unlock it normally

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I'm so happy they put the retro arwings in. The SNES game is still my favorite.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheFattestPat posted:

I'm so happy they put the retro arwings in. The SNES game is still my favorite.

It has aged way better than it has any right to have, considering how badly most early 3D games have done.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

Looper posted:

Why? You can unlock it normally

I was under the impression that you couldn't. This does make it better.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It bears mentioning that the portal that leads to Aquarosa doesn't actually turn up until after you first see them on giant space ring level, if continuity is a thing that's bothering you.

It means the comments about warp hole make sense, but Corneria being in as much of an identically bad state as it was at the beginning of the game makes less sense.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Crawfish posted:

It means the comments about warp hole make sense, but Corneria being in as much of an identically bad state as it was at the beginning of the game makes less sense.

What about war war never changes did you not understand. They were being quite literal :colbert:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Area Three

Episode 9: Run 2

Zoness

Episode 9: Run 2

Sorry for the long delay on this one! To make a long story short, the routes I had mapped out had a logistical error that made them trickier to accomplish without the Falco amiibo. I still could have done them, but it turns out it's also fairly tricky to get one of them and they also cost more money than I was willing to spend. So I had to remap my routes and, like I said in the video, we are going to save Sector A for later.

Also, my co-commentator hosed off on me to go cross-country for the next two weeks, so this will hopefully sate your hunger until then.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Now Maple, I did say I was leaving on the 4th. I'll be back on the 14th, Olive fans ;)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

NOW the level is good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm so glad the Star Fox 2 chicken walker gets to cameo here with the retro arwing

smh at the inaccurate hyper laser tho

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Samovar posted:

NOW the level is good.

Yep. That was far, far more interesting than the last run.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Technically the Gigarilla would be more of a strategic advantage rather than a tactical one :hist101:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Sector β

Episode 10: Run 2

Titania

Episode 10: Run 2

Now, barring anything drastic (like, say, a corrupted harddrive, perish the thought!), we should be returning to a modest schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This level does look more fun than the one in SF64, gotta say. Always hated that one. Mostly because you'll get sent to it from Sector X if you're bad, and then it's the hardest level in the game because gently caress you for sucking!

• Locked thread