Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i don't disagree that "obesity is a disease of capitalism," (that's pretty obvious from the evidence as well, considering that obesity only appeared/appears in the context of modern western society) but you could try harder to know what you're actually saying instead of being an ideological dweeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

i don't disagree that "obesity is a disease of capitalism," (that's pretty obvious from the evidence as well, considering that obesity only appeared/appears in the context of modern western society) but you could try harder to know what you're actually saying instead of being an ideological dweeb.

lol
U R fat

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you probably don't like this paper because it complicates what you really wish was a super simple issue, truly damning to capitalism, that you could post about on facebook and convince all your friends to vote Green.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you can come over to my place and find out. are you free tonight?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

you can come over to my place and find out. are you free tonight?

gotta work tomorrow sweetie.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

no skin off my back lmao

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i have no idea what bmi means but i like your style

Big Man's Insertion.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

no skin off my back lmao

Most of that is fused to that couch, right?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
To those that are fat. Sometimes it's easy to be thin and sometimes it's hard. If you're doing your best, keep it up. Good for you.

To those that aren't fat. Sometimes it's easy to be thin and sometimes it's hard. If you're doing your best, keep it up. Good for you.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

nomadologique posted:

lol. nah. the fact that high BMI parents do not produce high BMI adopted children is pretty much open and shut. it is obvious that high BMI is heritable, the issue is that we know basically nothing about how or why. because we don't actually know what's going on, we only know that it's heritable.

if you want to say that "bad food caused fatties" "on a wide enough scale," you're basically making it so vague and truistic that it doesn't touch what's being discussed here. if you're arguing that modern westernized processed food is what caused genetically heritable metabolic alteration, okay, i mean, it's an okay hypothesis but we have little more to go on at this point than intuition, and it doesn't obviate the very clear fact that this is heritable.

show me a study where it says kids adopted from rich parents by poor parents are less likely to commit crimes than the poor parents' biological children.

What you're missing is that processed foods do alter peoples' hormonal metabolism in a very powerful way. An elastic coefficient of 0.2 is not nearly significant enough to account for the exploding obesity numbers.

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit

extra stout posted:

some goon posted a story about a turkish? warlord who went insane banging 50 women at a time, unsatisfied by life, and demanded the fattest woman on earth be brought to him

she was like 150 kilos and this was only a few hundred years ago lol

ooh ooh i know this one. it was sultan ibrahim the mad

"The shops of jewellers and European merchants were pillaged to satisfy Ibrahim's whims and tastes of the moment. Ibrahim used to drench his beard, clothes and room hangings with perfumes, especially the exotic ambergris. He had a fetish for furs: his clothes, curtains and walls were all decorated with fur. His pillows were stuffed with it and he had a preference for making love on sable skins. Ibrahim collected books expressing the various ways of coition and he was said to have invented some new and previously unknown positions himself. Once, Ibrahim happened to see the private parts of a wild young cow and according to Cantemir, "he sent the shape of them in gold all over the Empire with orders to make enquiries whether a woman made in just that manner could be found for his lust". A woman fitting the description was found in Armenia and she was received into the harem. Her name was Sechir Para ("Sugar Cube") and she weighed around 150 kilograms. Ibrahim became madly infatuated with her."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But what about transfats?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

But what about transfats?

all lipids are beautiful

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

8 track betamax posted:

Can we get this post as the scrolling back ground of gbs ??

I support that. It will probably get you a full bingo card for Internet Manchildren.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I guess now you have two types of fat jeans, op.

Quick and brutal, this is why GBS still has a place in the 2016 metasphere

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

nomadologique posted:

you probably don't like this paper because it complicates what you really wish was a super simple issue, truly damning to capitalism, that you could post about on facebook and convince all your friends to vote Green.

The paper itself states it's making assumptions about a genetic link. For all we know, the link could be because the obese hormonal profile is passed on to the child during pregnancy and could have nothing to do with genetics.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

nomadologique posted:

some ppl in here are really not understanding this paper.

what it says is that people with high BMIs will probably have high BMI biological children. there is no reason given for that. that people with high BMIs don't produce high BMI adopted children at the same rate indicates that the issue is NOT THE DIET THAT THE PARENTS ARE FEEDING THE CHILDREN.

Oh yeah, that loving 20 percent intergenerational elasticity is why those kids are obese.

:rolleyes:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
This is pretty obvious. People don't arbitrarily choose to be fat. Only stupid and lazy people do so, and those traits are largely genetic.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
"Guys, it sucks being skinny. I can eat anything i want and not gain a thing. I tried eating more but I can only eat so much."

*Eats like a rabbit, gets stuffed and satisfied on an energy drink with a couple smokes*

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Im a doctor and my prescription for overweight individuals is a strict diet of burgers, cakes and milkshakes for every meal. We can all work together to end this obesity crisis.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Fat is Beautiful.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
where are you Fitler? we need you now more than ever

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wicker Man posted:

Fat is Beautiful.

:flashfap:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its all about genetics, but only american genetics and only genetics from the past 20 years

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What it is definitely not about is the advent of super cheap, always available garbage food and people moving around and doing physical work less than ever and instead spending a lot of their time infront of tvs computers and phones

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Bring back local farms and raise the price of food.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Jesus, I would have trouble finishing one of those plates in a sitting most days.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Can you imagine how awful those poor jews with the fat gene felt during the holocaust?

"It's GENETIC"
*eats 4,000 calories of cabbage soup a day*

And don't get me started on the plight of the starving Africans with the fat gene, such a sad situation :( To be literally starving to death and no one believes you

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

935 posted:

Can you imagine how awful those poor jews with the fat gene felt during the holocaust?

"It's GENETIC"
*eats 4,000 calories of cabbage soup a day*

And don't get me started on the plight of the starving Africans with the fat gene, such a sad situation :( To be literally starving to death and no one believes you

Sorry you had to learn it, but, a calorie isn't a calorie :shovel's another handful of dry roasted peanuts into mouth:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's funny when fatties eat corn and peas for their veggies.

E: to be fair corn,peas, carrots, broccoli and green beans were the only vegetables that ever existed in any of my school lunches. Mostly corn and peas.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 29, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
oh look, a cherry-picked study, p < .05 that I give a gently caress

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I am like 40lbs over where I should be and I eat too much food and sit at a desk all day for work.

When I ate less and worked outside 10 hour days I weighed 40 lbs less.

I blame my genetics because it's easier than owning up to the fact that I am a failure :saddowns:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No see, it's diet coke; it's fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish diet coke wasn't so delicious and full of salt.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
https://gordonlab.wustl.edu/supplemental/turnbaugh/obob/

To demonstrate cause and effect, Gordon and his colleagues conducted an elegant series of experiments with so-called humanized mice, published last September in Science. The mice ate the same diet in equal amounts, yet the animals that received bacteria from an obese twin grew heavier and had more body fat than mice with microbes from a thin twin.

identical diet and exercise does not always give identical results

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fat is literally a disease, so we must eradicate the carriers

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

dookifex_maximus posted:

https://gordonlab.wustl.edu/supplemental/turnbaugh/obob/

To demonstrate cause and effect, Gordon and his colleagues conducted an elegant series of experiments with so-called humanized mice, published last September in Science. The mice ate the same diet in equal amounts, yet the animals that received bacteria from an obese twin grew heavier and had more body fat than mice with microbes from a thin twin.

identical diet and exercise does not always give identical results

oh no, it might be slightly harder for someone to not be a fat sack of poo poo than someone else better just give up and cry about how existence isn't perfectly fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
reminds me of three olives "health awareness threads" he was really careful about approaching people he thought were unhealthy in public and informing them of the dangers of obesity and he even generously volunteered both his time and trust fund money to get them help

just kidding he just posted photos of fatties he was creeping on hes a concern trolling misanthrope, like anyone has ever cared about people enough to try to help them

• Locked thread