Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think there's an entire genre of white male 20th century literature that's all about how unhappy a lot of authors were in their marriages (Updike, etc.) and I'm not fond of it in general, but I think Bukowski is one of the more interesting ones. Sadly I think a lot of American literature discussion begins and ends with these authors and completely misses out on a huge swath of fascinating works. The literary world (as in the whole thing, schools and critics and publishers and writers all together) is still very white and very male, with some pretty strong misogyny in its culture.

You said that you respect an author who is willing to make himself look vulnerable, so am I fair to respond to just this post honestly without being punished for mod sass? I might just skip it because my response will somehow be called racist by someone, which means in a sense my inaction over it proves the modern media combined with tumblr terrorists have already won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

extra stout posted:

You said that you respect an author who is willing to make himself look vulnerable, so am I fair to respond to just this post honestly without being punished for mod sass? I might just skip it because my response will somehow be called racist by someone, which means in a sense my inaction over it proves the modern media combined with tumblr terrorists have already won
nice racism

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

The literary world (as in the whole thing, schools and critics and publishers and writers all together) is still very white and very male, with some pretty strong misogyny in its culture.

Lit has nothing to do with what the subject of the story is or how tan its characters are and in 2016 the publisher's doors are open to anyone. Even saying something like this indicates a warped set of concerns.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 3, 2016

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
non-genre fiction:
Blood meridian by Cormack McCarthy. Man's inhumanity to man in the Mexican American war. This has the most powerful ending of any book I've read.

The Amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon: Two Jewish kids in 1940s New York and the beginnings of the golden age of comics. Very light magical realism.

Biography:
John Adams by David McCullough is awesome. He pulls all of his primary sources into an amazingly flowing narrative.

Other Nonfiction:
Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter is a classic about math, philosophy, computation, and communication theory and very approachable. It will make you smile and feel smart.

Edit: I can't remember the authors name but I just read the poisonwood Bible and that's rad too. Give it a shot!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 3, 2016

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

non-genre fiction:
Blood meridian by Cormack McCarthy. Man's inhumanity to man in the Mexican American war. This has the most powerful ending of any book I've rws.

The Amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon: Two Jewish kids in 1940s New York and the beginnings of the golden age of comics. Very light magical realism.

gooniest book recommendation ever

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think there's an entire genre of white male 20th century literature that's all about how unhappy a lot of authors were in their marriages (Updike, etc.)

David Foster Wallace had a great take-down of Updike. It's an essay called "Certainly The Death Of Something Or Another" and ends with this:

"It never once occurs to him, though, that the reason he's so unhappy is that he's an rear end in a top hat."

Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

David Foster Wallace had a great take-down of Updike. It's an essay called "Certainly The Death Of Something Or Another" and ends with this:

"It never once occurs to him, though, that the reason he's so unhappy is that he's an rear end in a top hat."

Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone.

pot, kettle

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You can be a dick and still be right. Which is true for you too, I guess.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

You can be a dick and still be right. Which is true for you too, I guess.

:iamafag:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sheep-Goats posted:

Lit has nothing to do with what the subject of the story is or how tan its characters are and in 2016 the publisher's doors are open to anyone. Even saying something like this indicates a warped set of concerns.

I keep trying to think of the simplest way to combine a generally accepted public view of art with actual data. I'll put it this way: Art is accepted as a therapy for pain. It sometimes can be good enough that a lot of people relate to it, not just making you famous or rich or whatever, but it can sometimes actually lead to change. If we accept the obvious that "artists are often people with internal struggles" and suicidal people are often people with internal struggles, a combination of data and opinion can actually explain this "We're mad that white males dominate the best seller list and the classics!".

If anyone here is ignorant of suicide data, specifically the history of American suicide data in your life time, go give it a look. Spoiler alert: Elderly white males, or generally just white males as a whole shoot themselves in the head about always more often than any other group in comparison. So a large group of people, a huge population of a kind of person who are statistically having an internal struggle that is great even if a modern society claims their life is pointless, dull, boring easy spoiled etc, are making a lot of great art about internal struggles.

This is not a conspiracy theory, just plain fuggin facts boys

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

extra stout posted:

Optimistic ending: Feel free to recommend me a Bukowski novel that isn't just alcohol/cigarettes/prostitution/Seinfeld observations about this society and the characters of it's dark gritty underbelly.

Have you ever read "Ham on Rye"? It's mostly about his childhood and youth, and decidedly different from his other novels. (IIRC, he doesn't even have sex in it and he's still a virgin at the end of the book).

edit: One of my favorite Bukowski poems is "The man with the beautiful eyes". There is an animated short film based on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxnwqKHWQjY

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 3, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

I keep trying to think of the simplest way to combine a generally accepted public view of art with actual data. I'll put it this way: Art is accepted as a therapy for pain. It sometimes can be good enough that a lot of people relate to it, not just making you famous or rich or whatever, but it can sometimes actually lead to change. If we accept the obvious that "artists are often people with internal struggles" and suicidal people are often people with internal struggles, a combination of data and opinion can actually explain this "We're mad that white males dominate the best seller list and the classics!".

If anyone here is ignorant of suicide data, specifically the history of American suicide data in your life time, go give it a look. Spoiler alert: Elderly white males, or generally just white males as a whole shoot themselves in the head about always more often than any other group in comparison. So a large group of people, a huge population of a kind of person who are statistically having an internal struggle that is great even if a modern society claims their life is pointless, dull, boring easy spoiled etc, are making a lot of great art about internal struggles.

This is not a conspiracy theory, just plain fuggin facts boys

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extra stout posted:

Nope, go for it. It's a literature discussion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

It does when stories by non-white, non-male authors have been historically ignored the world of literary criticism and academia and are consistently underrepresented in publishing, not just in discussing mid-20th century writers but in trying to get recognized today.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Goons love Cormac RR Mcarthy because he writes grimdark genre fiction with a patina of post-modern literary pretension.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm also not saying those writers I mentioned don't deserve the praise they get. I might not be into Hemingway but he wrote great books and even better short fiction. Just because he's not my thing doesn't mean he's not a great writer. I'm just saying there are lots of other great writers that have trouble being recognized because literature was historically, and still is, a mostly white male world.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Horniest Manticore posted:

may i suggest a little book called the koran

namaste

I honestly tried to read it. It's not that interesting TBH. It's sort of a mix between the muslim version of psalms and religious laws.
The laws are written pretty vaguely since it's in a purple prose style. Maybe that's why that are so radically different interpretations of them.

There is very little theology, as in metaphysics, which is another reason why I didn't like it.

I admit I didn't read THAT much of it, so maybe I'm not being fair to it.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Here's one example of a good minority writer: Sylvia Plath.

A Catholic Englishwoman who was also a Lesbian. She converted to Catholicism and lived in time when even the Catholic part was an issue, not to mention the Lesbian thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

H.H posted:

I honestly tried to read it. It's not that interesting TBH. It's sort of a mix between the muslim version of psalms and religious laws.
The laws are written pretty vaguely since it's in a purple prose style. Maybe that's why that are so radically different interpretations of them.

There is very little theology, as in metaphysics, which is another reason why I didn't like it.

I admit I didn't read THAT much of it, so maybe I'm not being fair to it.
Don't read religious texts. They're not useful or interesting without a lot of notes, education, etc. Books about religious texts are way more interesting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

H.H posted:

Here's one example of a good minority writer: Sylvia Plath.

A Catholic Englishwoman who was also a Lesbian. She converted to Catholicism and lived in time when even the Catholic part was an issue, not to mention the Lesbian thing.
If you like Plath read Anne Sexton. She was a contemporary and friend of Plath's who wrote great stuff. Best known for "To My Lover On Returning To His Wife."

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't read religious texts. They're not useful or interesting without a lot of notes, education, etc. Books about religious texts are way more interesting.

I see your point. I studied both Judaism and Christianity academically, so I never thought of it like that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

H.H posted:

I see your point. I studied both Judaism and Christianity academically, so I never thought of it like that.
Yeah. It's like reading an encyclopedia or the dictionary. They're just not meant to be used that way.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

i have a friend named muhammad (pbuh) who might take issue with this, friend

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you don't read religious texts you'll never get the sick references that other people find. Growing up I was always bummed out that the Christians had a leg up in literary analysis.

Then again they're Christians

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

If you don't read religious texts you'll never get the sick references that other people find. Growing up I was always bummed out that the Christians had a leg up in literary analysis.

Then again they're Christians

christianity wins again!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ibogaine posted:

Have you ever read "Ham on Rye"? It's mostly about his childhood and youth, and decidedly different from his other novels. (IIRC, he doesn't even have sex in it and he's still a virgin at the end of the book).
edit: One of my favorite Bukowski poems is "The man with the beautiful eyes".

Nope, and it has been recommended to me several times before, so I will add it to the list. Admittedly, the list is already like 60 books high, I think I still have 20 of the last 30 books I bought unread. There's this local fundraiser used book sale where for like 5 dollars everytime they do it a few times a year, I am drowning in books. And that's not some kind of grabbing garbage at random, talking unread Sam Harris books in hardcover for a dollar, T.S. Eliot collections for 80 cents, it owns.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nope, go for it. It's a literature discussion.

I did, my slightly coherent white males = most suicidal, white males = most good books theory was above somewhere. Maybe you indirectly replied to it by making a different post about how white male authors aren't the problem rather than other groups being ignored, but I would revert to my brilliant, soon to be celebrated in the the goldmine post about how white male suicide = white male good at writing, Cormac McCarthy is more depressing than Hemingway and has not shot himself, life is interesting and terrifying, I maybe had a drink before writing this post

extra stout fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 4, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think there's an entire genre of white male 20th century literature that's all about how unhappy a lot of authors were in their marriages (Updike, etc.) and I'm not fond of it in general, but I think Bukowski is one of the more interesting ones. Sadly I think a lot of American literature discussion begins and ends with these authors and completely misses out on a huge swath of fascinating works. The literary world (as in the whole thing, schools and critics and publishers and writers all together) is still very white and very male, with some pretty strong misogyny in its culture.

I read Rabbit, Run and the sequel for my high school free-choice book and it made me very confused and possibly damaged

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

extra stout posted:

Nope, and it has been recommended to me several times before, so I will add it to the list. Admittedly, the list is already like 60 books high, I think I still have 20 of the last 30 books I bought unread. There's this local fundraiser used book sale where for like 5 dollars everytime they do it a few times a year, I am drowning in books. And that's not some kind of grabbing garbage at random, talking unread Sam Harris books in hardcover for a dollar, T.S. Eliot collections for 80 cents, it owns.

I did, my slightly coherent white males = most suicidal, white males = most good books theory was above somewhere. Maybe you indirectly replied to it by making a different post about how white male authors aren't the problem rather than other groups being ignored, but I would revert to my brilliant, soon to be celebrated in the the goldmine post about how white male suicide = white male good at writing, Cormac McCarthy is more depressing than Hemingway and has not shot himself, life is interesting and terrifying, I maybe had a drink before writing this post

LOCAL FUNDRAISER USED BOOK SALE

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Every good Cormac McCarthy book has the main character crossing from the US to Mexico, it's like a rule

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Chekhov

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a collection on Chekhov's short stories because I wanted to read The Duel , mistaking it for the story that Ridley Scott's The Duellists was based off of. I really enjoyed it, but I really like depressing Russian authors.

I would recommend The Duel , but also recommend Point of Honor if you want to read the story that inspired the movie. Both are very good and have lots of duelling and stuff.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Follow up post: I'm almost done To Have and Have Not, and it's basically an HBO drama. Boardwalk Empire got really lovely when they went to Cuba, they should have just stolen scenes from this novel (or series of novellas, whatever)

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The fact that a certain group of people has a higher suicide rate than other groups does not mean that they have more or greater internal struggles than any other group, nor does it mean that they are better at making art about said struggles. Also your correlations completely fall apart when you look at global suicide rates and not just the US.

to contribute: I'm reading Sound Man right now which is quite good, it's the autobiography of Glyn Johns who was one of the most sought after rock producers in London throughout the last several decades. If you are interested bands like Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, the Who, etc. or music industry history in general it's a good read.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 18, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Besides, we're talking access and education and time privilege, not struggle = good art. Guess who has the most of all three

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey OP did you read the book I suggested?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm waiting for the next book in the A-M series to come in, I'm reading the Wool series (aka Silo) for now, it's okayish Science Fiction I guess, feels really Young Adult with a heavy dose of Game of Thrones at some points those characters you got to know? DEAD! Ahahahaha! I'm an author!

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Go Dog Go is a great book very inspirational I would say it's a little better than Hop on Pop

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the gospel of john

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

FactsAreUseless posted:

And? He wrote tons of stuff that is not genre fiction, there's not some sort of one-drop rule.

There's a big argument that Child of God, Blood Meridian, All The Pretty Horses, The Crossing, and I'd argue No Country For Old Men were all Westerns.

I just think that defining any of those writers as genre fiction further annexes great books into a pointless cultural ghetto.

• Locked thread